Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by J85M
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Simple question. Does Stern put a thicker clearcoat on their Premiums & LEs vs Pros? Do they currently do it or have they done that in the past?

#2 5 years ago

I would think a playfield coating would be the same.

#3 5 years ago

Most likely. But I was reading reviews of ST LE and one reviewer said their clearcoat was thicker on the LE? Just got me thinking because the WOZ I used to have seemed like a really thick coating. My Star Trek Pro I used to have the clearcoat seemed thicker to me than other Sterns pins.

#4 5 years ago

That's why they cost so much more.....

#5 5 years ago

the LE is usually signed by the designer and then clear coated again

#6 5 years ago

I one time saw a pubic hair stuck in the clearcoat.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

That's what I was wondering. Must just be the LE and not the Premiums then.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Must have been a Playboy 1978, not a Playboy 2002.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Must have been a Playboy 1978, not a Playboy 2002.

LOL!!!

#10 5 years ago

I was told the ACDC/ST/AV era had extra clear coat of the LEs, however due to criticism on Pinside about dimpling, Stern now don't put extra clear coat on LEs.

I don't know if that's true, but it's what I heard from 'A Reliable Source'.

Can anyone verify?

#11 5 years ago

Same clear coat on all Stern models Pro/Prem/LE

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

That's the designer signature on LE.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Must have been a JT game.

#14 5 years ago

Clear coat has changed though?

My original led met pro, had something thin, similar to my gb prem. You can see the wood grain. When my met pro pf was replaced under warrant the clear was real thick.....

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Must have been a JT game.

Ouch!!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Clear coat has changed though?
    My original led met pro, had something thin, similar to my gb prem. You can see the wood grain. When my met pro pf was replaced under warrant the clear was real thick.....

I've noticed the same thing with sterns. Some seem super thick and some don't. It's very noticeable, my ST Pro had a very thick clearcoat.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've noticed the same thing with sterns. Some seem super thick and some don't. It's very noticeable, my ST Pro had a very thick clearcoat.

I know they switched pf manufacturing. I think outsourced to in-house.....

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

Don’t they just sign directly on the playfield then clearcoat?

#19 5 years ago

Wouldn't the clear coat have a reaction with the marker plus don't you sand in between coats??

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Wouldn't the clear coat have a reaction with the marker plus don't you sand in between coats??

It could be sanded and prepped for the next coat of clear before they sign it . Paint pens won’t have a reaction with the clear

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

It could be sanded and prepped for the next coat of clear before they sign it . Paint pens won’t have a reaction with the clear

I see.

#22 5 years ago

You don't have to sand if you do it within a certain amount of time between coats. It varies by product.

#23 5 years ago

I doubt they put more clear or better clear on different versions. I also doubt the designers sign after clear coat is applied. Why take that extra step?

I have noticed different clear coats on sterns over the last 5 years. Early run TWD games have very thin clear compared to the last runs. My Metallica pro had much less clear vs my SMVE

#24 5 years ago

I have never had any issues with Stern clearcoat, although I can see a difference in the clearcoat between my older Sterns compared to my newer ones.

I do often leave my latest games in the box after delivery for a while mainly
    due to working away, don’t know if that makes a difference other than giving the clear more time to cure/harden.

Any changes are probably more to do with modern environmental laws and regulations than Stern.

#25 5 years ago

Well if you talk to any pf repair or clear coat people, they say to wait x weeks to set the clear harden and set. Maybe stern was blowing through them without letting them sit? It isn’t a bad idea to wait....if you have patience

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

It isn’t a bad idea to wait....if you have patience

I’ve been lucky my renovations have forced me to have more patience than I normally would with a NIB game sat in my hallway

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clearcoat-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.