Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0227.jpg
    HEP MM Mirco.jpg
    image-294.jpg
    image-132.jpg
    image-867.jpg
    image-145.jpg
    image-48.jpg
    image-429.jpg
    image-925.jpg
    image-146.jpg
    image-280.jpg
    image-634.jpg
    image-781.jpg
    tin_foil_hat_chicken.jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I'm researching IMVE & I've noticed quite a few complaints about dimples on IMVE and ST after only a few plays. There's also a thread from a couple years ago where an ac/dc pro on route wore thru to the wood in several places in a matter of months. Is Stern deliberately building in obsolescence so they don't end up like Bally/Williams in the 90s - machines lasting forever & nobody buying machines?

Is there a difference between Pro, Premium & LE clear coats? If so, does this difference matter for HUO?

#2 9 years ago

tin_foil_hat_chicken.jpgtin_foil_hat_chicken.jpg

#3 9 years ago

their clearcoat has always been thin.

Btw, dimples have nothing to do with clearcoat. It's the soft wood allowing the ball to compress it further. You could have 10 coats of clear on there and it will still dimple.

#4 9 years ago

The IMVE I had, had a very thin clear coat that didn't seem to hold up well compared to previous Stern's I've had NIB (Avatar, Tron, XMen LE, ACDC). Maybe just luck of the draw? But I wasn't pleased.

#6 9 years ago

Dimples in Sterns are definitely from soft wood. My STLE had dimpling from the first game. But I find most wood in any furniture is now soft I'm guessing from being farmed and grown too quickly. Only the really expensive furniture using hard woods are not soft.

I know someone who won't open any Stern for up to 12 months to let the PF wood harden.

#7 9 years ago

Good call - the reason the older PF's appear not to be dimpled is that they've been played so much that in effect the whole PF is dimpled and doesn't appear like little craters.

I had a TZ PF clear coated and even the clear coat has dimpled. Im hoping that eventually it will also "even out".

#8 9 years ago

Seems hit or miss in my experience. Some of the clears on my games are beautiful and others not so much. I'm more concerned though with the quality of their wood. I don't mind the dimpling, but have had problems with holes quickly showing wear.

#9 9 years ago

Until tranformers all ok (transformers is very good quality), but since then coils are too strong and playfields too soft... just a few games and your nib purchased game looks like the moon...

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Good call - the reason the older PF's appear not to be dimpled is that they've been played so much that in effect the whole PF is dimpled and doesn't appear like little craters.
    I had a TZ PF clear coated and even the clear coat has dimpled. Im hoping that eventually it will also "even out".

Yes and no.

The LOTR I had that new just didn't seem to dimple at all. But it was 2003, sat around unplayed for a few years. Better quality? Wouldn't surprise me.

#11 9 years ago

That's why I reclear all my sternsimage-146.jpgimage-146.jpgimage-280.jpgimage-280.jpgimage-634.jpgimage-634.jpgimage-781.jpgimage-781.jpg

#12 9 years ago

Stern clearimage-132.jpgimage-132.jpgimage-867.jpgimage-867.jpgimage-145.jpgimage-145.jpgimage-48.jpgimage-48.jpgimage-429.jpgimage-429.jpgimage-925.jpgimage-925.jpg

#13 9 years ago

Try looking at a BBH. Worst clear coat ever. I couldn't even play mine in fear of wear, had to get it clear coated.

As for dimples, that is a "myth" that it happens to all PFs to the same degree and dimpling is all created equal. The wood that Stern has been using lately is defiantly extra cheap and extra soft (ST for example).

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Try looking at a BBH. Worst clear coat ever. I couldn't even play mine in fear of wear, had to get it clear coated.
    As for dimples, that is a "myth" that it happens to all PFs to the same degree and dimpling is all created equal. The wood that Stern has been using lately is defiantly extra cheap and extra soft (ST for example).

That is your BBH pic

#15 9 years ago

I must say that the stock WOZ clear job looks pretty amazing but don't know how it wears.

#16 9 years ago

Csiimage-294.jpgimage-294.jpg

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from tatman9999:

Csi

image-294.jpg 210 KB

WOW Tat wish you would have done my STPro I bought from you.

#18 9 years ago

I was just playing the STLE at PBHOF in Vegas and was wondering if the PF even had ANY clear coat on it? Great pinball, but I immediately thought that if I owned one, I'd get it clear coated.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

I was just playing the STLE at PBHOF in Vegas and was wondering if the PF even had ANY clear coat on it? Great pinball, but I immediately thought that if I owned one, I'd get it clear coated.

Its probably just filthy.

The clear on my STLE is the best I have gotten from them so far. It is not too thin like some games from years ago. There are enough coats to protect and make it flat but not too thick. Side-by-side I think it looks flatter than WOZ. WOZ is a little too thick (and uneven) for my taste.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Its probably just filthy.
    The clear on my STLE is the best I have gotten from them so far. It is not too thin like some games from years ago. There are enough coats to protect and make it flat but not too thick. Side-by-side I think it looks flatter than WOZ. WOZ is a little too thick (and uneven) for my taste.

Agreed, the clear on STLE is pretty nice.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from gawcol:

just a few games and your nib purchased game looks like the moon...

Totally normal.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Totally normal.

Normal to the degree of the latest Sterns with soft ass playfields. I believe Mirco repros are similar. Other games (older) will not dimple so severely so easily.

#23 9 years ago

Im more concerned with the lack of traditional lockdown mechs, back box mechs, and playfield supports, but yes the clear on my TWD was the worst of any NIB game I have had. The grain in the shooter lane is bare wood.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Other games (older) will not dimple so severely so easily.

Not really true at all.

I have lots of NOS playfields, some that are over 40 years old.

They dimple like a SOB, that's just how it goes.

Of course wood can vary from tree to tree, but the general Janka hardness for hardwood species has remained consistent for over 200 years. There are some softwood species that become radically harder as they age, but of course Maple is not one of them.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from tatman9999:

Csi
    image-294.jpg 210 KB

Ha, I thought I was the only one who loved CSI enough to clear it. Nice...

#26 9 years ago

Here is red oak 5-ply from Home Depot. It's online only, not in store. Anybody have experiences with this? How would it compare to standard maple/birch?

http://t.homedepot.com/p/product/204311241/?showPLP=false

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from onetaste:

I'm researching IMVE & I've noticed quite a few complaints about dimples

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

How would it compare to standard maple/birch?

That stuff is garbage.

For pinball you need a thick face wood layer and matching hardwood core, not a paper thin veneer face with SPF core.

-

The Maple "lumbercore" stuff that modern playfields are made out of is only made by a few manufacturers in the world - you will never find it at Lowes or Home Depot.

If you have a real lumber yard around Miami, they will have Baltic Birch plywood. It will have no voids and be made of 10 layers with thick, sandable faces.

That is a quality plywood, and since it's real Birch (not a paper thin veneer over SPF core), it's very hard and heavy.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Here is red oak 5-ply from Home Depot. It's online only, not in store. Anybody have experiences with this? How would it compare to standard maple/birch?
    http://t.homedepot.com/p/product/204311241/?showPLP=false

See Kevin's post here for pretty much all you ever wanted to know about PF boards:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-now-has-a-widebody-belt-sander#post-1950266

#30 9 years ago

There was a pic posted just before the Chicago Expo showing the end view of a Big Lowbowski playfield. I counted the layers of wood and there were 3 or 5 layers more (can't remember exactly) than my Stern games.

I was impressed.

#31 9 years ago

More layers can be good for plywood, but it also makes the shooter lane look weird.

Here is a pic from HEP with the Mirco MM playfields:

HEP MM Mirco.jpgHEP MM Mirco.jpg
    #32 9 years ago

My LOTR LE play field is still incredible. Maybe Stern had a bout of sympathy for us?

#33 9 years ago

I think more layers would make it look even prettier! Kinda of like some of the custom gunstocks from years ago when craftsmanship was so important.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

My LOTR LE play field is still incredible. Maybe Stern had a bout of sympathy for us?

Don't forget it's not Stern making those playfields.

The playfields are actually made by CCC (aka Chicago Gaming), the same company that used to make playfields and cabinets for Bally and Williams.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The playfields are actually made by CCC (aka Chicago Gaming), the same company that used to make playfields and cabinets for Bally and Williams.

Ahhh yes, well they did a great job on the Lotr Le's, must be an extra layer of clear?

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ahhh yes, well they did a great job on the Lotr Le's, must be an extra layer of clear?

Not necessarily an "extra" layer, but it could have been well taken care of all it's life.

i.e.: New balls on a regular basis, waxing on a regular basis...

#37 9 years ago

Sheesh, tat, you live in Plainfield?

I've got to have you give my LOTR and TSPP a proper clearcoat here in Joliet...
    ...but I don't have a rotisserie, and am too lazy/stupid for all the work involved.

Nice pics!

And yes, OP, my LOTR and TSPP have miserable clearcoats. My ACDC and SM, i would say have adequate clearcoats. My Monopoly too, when owned one (shudder).

So far WOZ looks good, but I have a playfield protector on.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from tatman9999:

That's why I reclear all my sterns

Hey tatman9999, do you ever get any problems with craters in the clear coat after playing? Ie. they look amazing (like your photos) before being installed and played, then after a few air balls look like the moon?

#39 9 years ago

Don't new pins come with the majority of there playfields covered in mylar?

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Don't new pins come with the majority of there playfields covered in mylar?

Not since F-14.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Hey tatman9999, do you ever get any problems with craters in the clear coat after playing? Ie. they look amazing (like your photos) before being installed and played, then after a few air balls look like the moon?

They seen to be no worse then sterns clean.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Sheesh, tat, you live in Plainfield?
    I've got to have you give my LOTR and TSPP a proper clearcoat here in Joliet...
    ...but I don't have a rotisserie, and am too lazy/stupid for all the work involved.
    Nice pics!
    And yes, OP, my LOTR and TSPP have miserable clearcoats. My ACDC and SM, i would say have adequate clearcoats. My Monopoly too, when owned one (shudder).
    So far WOZ looks good, but I have a playfield protector on.

Take them apart and I can clear them.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not necessarily an "extra" layer, but it could have been well taken care of all it's life.
    i.e.: New balls on a regular basis, waxing on a regular basis...

Well it was my first pin, a Nib at that, so what does new balls and waxing on a regular basis mean.

How many games usually Vid? It seems my other pins need more TLC and I played the shit out of Lotr for quite a while. Don't fire it up as much nowadays though.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How many games usually Vid?

No way of saying.

A nicked ball can do more damage in a day than a year of normal wear.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nope... It's just Stern specifying how the playfields are made..

I'm sure how many plys, and what wood is used impacts the price Stern pays....

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How many games usually Vid?

I don't have a firm answer but was surprised how beat up pinballs get after 100 games. See link below for photos.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/tools-and-supplies/245-premium-pinballs

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No way of saying.
    A nicked ball can do more damage in a day than a year of normal wear.

Those little bastards, I need to check my balls more frequently, when I clean my rubbers and swiffer my play field. Oh yeah!

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you have a real lumber yard around Miami, they will have Baltic Birch plywood. It will have no voids and be made of 10 layers with thick, sandable faces.
    That is a quality plywood, and since it's real Birch (not a paper thin veneer over SPF core), it's very hard and heavy.

Gotcha. Here's a place that sells all kinds of hardwoods and acrylic and ply woods. If you check page 17-19, it has various plywoods. Would any of these suffice?

http://shelllumber.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/SHELL-Catalog_small.pdf

#49 9 years ago

Geeze people. Just clean and wax your games regularly and you won't have to obsess about clearcoat thickness. ::ducks::

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Gotcha. Here's a place that sells all kinds of hardwoods and acrylic and ply woods. If you check page 17-19, it has various plywoods. Would any of these suffice?

Not that I can find.

Just ask for Baltic Birch, it will have 7 equal thickness plys for 1/2" material.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clear-coats-dropping-in-quality and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.