2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by iceman44
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E0A7D60F-D2C9-457B-A8BE-E3443D414009 (resized).jpeg
    20220307_102305 (resized).jpg
    AB3CEFD1-3EBC-4EDB-A1C7-1CD3653330B9 (resized).jpeg
    6532438D-3D6D-43A7-9A92-2AEC2CB6A99A (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi all, first time posting but been lurking for a little while and really appreciate all the great help the community here shares with each other. Hoping I can get a bit of guidance with what I should do about a couple minor clear coat issues I have with my Godzilla Pro.

I’ve got a good deal of clear chipping at the outhole, presumably from the balls bashing the back of the outhole when draining stdm.

In addition I have a crack that showed up the other day in the shooter lane. It’s hard to see in the photo but when feeling it I unfortunately can feel a bit of a ridge there, which makes me nervous about possible further damage. Unfortunately this crack popped up while I’ve had a shooter lane protector on order that I’ve been waiting for for quite some time from Cointaker (whole other story).

What should I do to repair / protect the clear in both of these areas? I’ve gone through Vid’s amazing posts and other clear repair posts, but couldn’t find anything that seemed to apply to these issues. This is my first machine and I’m doing everything I can to take great care of it while also enjoying the heck out of it! Thanks in advance for any and all help.

6532438D-3D6D-43A7-9A92-2AEC2CB6A99A (resized).jpeg6532438D-3D6D-43A7-9A92-2AEC2CB6A99A (resized).jpegAB3CEFD1-3EBC-4EDB-A1C7-1CD3653330B9 (resized).jpegAB3CEFD1-3EBC-4EDB-A1C7-1CD3653330B9 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Anybody got any tips on what I should do with these?

#3 2 years ago

Easiest method is some Good quality mylar cut to size on the outhole works well. You could do the same for the shooter lane.

Also wow that chipping…

#4 2 years ago

This might get me yelled at here but I use clear Gorrila glue. I use a fine paint brush with a wet tip to apply. I used it on my GB Premium in the out hole that had a bit of chipping. I wouldn't use it on any exposed area's on the playfield. Other than the shooter lane. I have used it on my demo man's switch openings that are under the ramp dropps to stop them from getting worse. I also put cliffys on them.

20220307_102305 (resized).jpg20220307_102305 (resized).jpg
    #5 2 years ago

Get a small amount of automotive clear coat and get the flex additive (for bumper covers) and hand brush it on.

#6 2 years ago

With this being your first game and the significant cost, I totally understand your concern.

Pinball games will wear - you can’t prevent it unless you don’t play (and even then parts may deteriorate due to humidity changes or sunlight exposure).

Your shooter lane “damage” doesn’t show (to my eye). I have 5 games, 3 used from the 1990s, 2 bought new years ago (2003 and 2014) and all have worse looking shooter lanes. Steel balls will damage wood eventually.

A barcade close to where I live has a Godzilla LE and that shooter lane looks like a 30 year old game with the wood all chewed up and dirty.

I would not worry about the minimal damage because you will not be able to prevent minimal damage. And in a home setting, the damage will stay minimal unless there’s a design flaw like the Rush scoops.

#7 2 years ago

Thanks for the tips all. Does cliffy make anything for the back side of the outhole where I’ve got the chipping? Wasn’t able to find anything, just the front of outhole protector. As for the shooter lane, it’s hard to tell in that image but it’s a crack right in the middle of it, not the typical wear at the sides. Here’s another image, hopefully it’s clearer.

E0A7D60F-D2C9-457B-A8BE-E3443D414009 (resized).jpegE0A7D60F-D2C9-457B-A8BE-E3443D414009 (resized).jpeg
    #8 2 years ago

Sand it down & apply clear nail polish or mylar

#9 2 years ago

Thanks ace. What’s the process for sanding with clear coat? I’ve not worked with clear coat before and scuffing it or anything like that makes me nervous!

4 months later
    #10 1 year ago
    Quoted from ethearch:

Thanks ace. What’s the process for sanding with clear coat? I’ve not worked with clear coat before and scuffing it or anything like that makes me nervous!

Lol Ace

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clear-coat-minor-issues-repair-questions?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.