Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rawhide High Score (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi All,

First of all, thank you for the help / advice on this machine so far.

Damn, I was sooooo close.......

I've gotten many of the bugs worked out, and was on to the final one, which was that the extra ball or credit on points was only working on player 1.

However, CC's being CC's lots of other issues have now shown up.

1. Sometimes the start sequence does not complete, 1 score reel does not reset. If I manually reset it to zero position, the score motor still runs, the reel does not attempt to reset, the coil is good. (this is a new issue, never had it before)

2. Other times during the start sequence, the game will start way before the score reels are reset (also a new issue).

3. On a 1 player game, the machine will still cycle through multiple players, sometimes 1, sometimes 4 (yup, just started happening).

4. On a 4 player game (whether selected or just happens as in above, after player 4 is over, the player unit stays on player 4 instead of returning to player 1 (um, yeah, new as well).

5. End of ball bonus adds 500pts along with the normal 1000pts. (had this before and fixed it, but this is from a different cause.

Before I start rebuilding things, does it make sense that most of these problem would be coming from the player unit? I rebuilt it about a week ago, and it was working just fine.

Thanks.

#2 1 year ago

The score reels not resetting might be your score reels needing cleaned and adjusted.These can be a real pain.Might want to check board on score reel(s) and make sure they are clean and properly adjusted and moving smoothly.
I ended up cleaning ALL my reels.Only 16 of them,right.LOL
Not sure what to tell you about the other issues.
Might check schematics to see what pulses the player unit.Probably a score motor switch.
If you need schematic pics,pm me.

#3 1 year ago

Our buddy from Classic Pinball told me years ago; go through the entire game. Free up every stepper, and clean and adjust every switch. Verify make/break manually on every relay. Do all that, and the game will work.
I would add; tighten down the screws on every switch stack before cleaning and adjusting switches.

#4 1 year ago

I agree with jrpinball that a full shop job is needed, especially on a CC game. Otherwise all kinds of little problems will constantly appear, and the machine would be unreliable.

#5 1 year ago

I too agree with jrpinball but with a caveat. That's a good approach if the technician has some experience and knows how things should work and how to make appropriate adjustments. Those without experience are just as likely to introduce more issues if they don't really understand what the end result should be. For them I encourage a one at a time approach so they can see how each little change makes things better or worse.

/Mark

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from southofi-10:

The score reels not resetting might be your score reels needing cleaned and adjusted

They have been, and were working just fine. They aren't getting power during startup sequence.

Quoted from southofi-10:

If you need schematic pics,pm me.

Thanks

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Our buddy from Classic Pinball told me years ago; go through the entire game. Free up every stepper, and clean and adjust every switch. Verify make/break manually on every relay. Do all that, and the game will work.
I would add; tighten down the screws on every switch stack before cleaning and adjusting switches.

Arg! I'm thinking that it has to have something to do with the Player unit spiders. It was playing 99%. It's getting frustrating, Gimme a Gottlieb!

1 week later
#8 1 year ago

Hi all,

ok...I finally had the chance to revisit the game. All issues fixed except that only player 1 awards credit/extra ball on points.

Does anyone here have working knowledge of that circuit on a multiplayer CC?

Thanks.

#10 1 year ago

You should be able to trace this with your meter with the game unplugged.
Rawhide High Score (resized).jpgRawhide High Score (resized).jpg
Set all four players' Score Reels to 1000 points below a replay level below 100,000.
Set the Player Control Unit to player 1.
Since you know player 1 is working you should see something close to a short circuit between the R-Y/red-yellow wire on the left and the Y-B/yellow-black wire on the right.
Manually advance the Player Control Unit through the other players and you'll probably see an open circuit between the same two points since none of them seem to work.
For any of the non working players, trace the path with your meter to figure out where the connection is lost. I'd guess it's on one of the Player Control Unit wipers.

/Mark

#11 1 year ago

Fixed!

Thanks Mark,

It was indeed a wiper on the player unit. I had suspected the player unit, but it would have taken me forever to trouble shoot it without seeing your logic (plus I forgot that the score reels needed to be 1000pts under the set amount). Ohming the circuit was much better than checking continuity.

I gave the machine set to award at 32,000 for now,(under 108,000pts). It awards at 32,000 but also awards at 132,000. Is that normal for CCs or do you think there is a short somewhere?

#12 1 year ago

It looks to me like the awards are either less than 108k or more than 102k, but not both.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It looks to me like the awards are either less than 108k or more than 102k, but not both.

Me too. grrrrrrrr.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-cc-rawhide-now-kickin-my-butt?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.