4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    spit_take.gif
    kombat-subway.gif
    keep_calm_and_chill_out_4.png
    brick.jpg
    image-692.jpg
    image.jpg
    images.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

Let's face it guys, Stern is the only real pinball company in town. Sure not everything they make is a hit, but they just keep coming and holy cow KISS! The sheer beauty of this pin is so remarkable that even if you don't like KISS as a band you want to own this pin. What I love most about Stern is their constant momentum. They always deliver something for us to buy every few months. Sure the code issue is annoying but they clearly have a model down that works. Coding takes a long time and 99 percent of us would rather wait for code then wait years just to have the damn pin.

Stern is on such a roll right now, why even bother with VE's? KISS is gonna sell like hot cakes (yes all of us who questioned that were wrong) and then it's Game of Thrones and Jurassic World. Like holy crap, what amazing things to come. So I have to ask, do these guys really have any true competition?

JJP: the delays are killing these guys. They can't sustain any hype because of the delays. And hype is important because pin heads want what's hot and what's proven. We've all been looking at the hobbit forever and what's the hold up now? Just no excuses anymore. stern shows you Kiss and you'll have it before one Hobbit that was announced 3 years ago ships. These guys can't survive like this.

Dutch: Lebowski is great and hopefully it ships when scheduled. Not sure pins coming from overseas will be ideal for most. Are they making any in the states / canada? But again by the time the pin ships will it still be the hot new pin it was a year ago? I think theme / game is awesome and for Dutch, it's gonna be interesting to hear what pins 2 and 3 are. Still don't think this model of waiting years will work. They need a faster pipeline.

Heighway: these guys have the production down and are not basing anything on pre orders. Out of all the competition, these guys seem to have their manufacturing in place but can they make a great pin? Safe to say nobody cares about Full Throttle so everything rides on Aliens. Great theme if they can make it a hit and have pins 3 and 4 follow suit. Swapping out the play fields is never gonna catch on. Just focus and great pins.

Spooky: these guys will be just fine and aren't even trying to compete with Stern. They figured out how to make boutique work without pre orders. For that we will always love them and I expect spooky to sell out of every pin they make.

JPOP: so sad. I saw magic girl full play field last week and it's a thing of sheer beauty. Too many obvious reasons why there's no real competition here. Now if JPOP could team up with someone who had production down, that would give stern a run.

In the end, I think Stern is upping their game because of competition. It's healthy for there to be a few major players making pins. Means more innovation and hopefully better prices for all. But right now it's hard to take anyone else very seriously other then Stern. They just know how to do it and do it right and by the time you see a new pin from them, you don't have to dream about owning it for years, you'll be flipping within 2 months. Until someone can match that, it's gonna be lights out for the guys who have nothing on the assembly line for years.

#2 4 years ago

I would like to see games with subways and code completed from Stern.

#3 4 years ago

Wow that KISS pin sure is something.

#4 4 years ago

Why Kaneda?

#5 4 years ago

I'm delighted each time a manufacturer puts out a pin that I have zero interest in buying. In that respect, Stern is definitely on a roll.

No disrespect to Kiss fans. Different strokes...

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

Metallica le

#7 4 years ago

Mustang, wwe and kiss.

Nice roll..... If you got stuck in the 80s.....

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

True.

I admire JJP for making a new pinball company, but so far although limited play, I don't believe the two pins they have made are my type of gameplay.

JJP has sold one game WoZ and on course to make another TH, while in that time Stern has made TAV, Mustang, TWD, ST, KISS, IMVE, Metallica and WWE.

That's 7-8 pins for Stern to 1 - 2 for JJP. So if Stern had a bad theme they can move on, but JJP has to stick with its pins for several years. Just think of Stern had made only Mustang and WWE in the past 3 years. They'd be sunk. If JJP swings and misses on a theme or gameplay, they are gonna have a very low sales run.

I believe WoZ sold well, but only because it was anti-Stern. It sold well because it was different and a WB pin with more toys than a Stern pin plus $6500 pre-order discount didn't hurt. But IMO WoZ is not a great game.

Plus Stern can always dip into their old catologue, they have with IM so they *could* remake LOTR, Tron, AcDc, SM, TSPP etc.. If need be without having to recode a full new game. In fact Stern has also shown with Luci that they are not afrade to change or update an existing title, AcDc pro was also updated. So nothing to stop them from making another Metallica premium or heck even an IM premium if they decided there was a few sales to be made.

#9 4 years ago

I agree, Stern lasted through the years for a reason and now it is paying off. They are the kings of pinball manufacturing. Making 1 pinball machine does not qualify you as a real manufacturer, maybe a contender, but not even close to challenging the champions.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I believe WoZ sold well, but only because it was anti-Stern. It got along because it was different and a WB pin with more toys than a Stern pin. But IMO WoZ is not a great game.

Personally I think WOZ sold well because it offers more for your money feature, tech and code wise then anything else on the market today and is simply a fun pin to play. I've purchased a NIB ACDC Premium, NIB WOZ ECLE and a NIB Metallica Pro LED within the past 3 years. All 3 are fun to play but WOZ is in another league in code, tech, build quality and features. There are plenty of people out there that think WOZ is a great game and from what I heard it earns very well on location.

#11 4 years ago

The polarity of the posts on all threads just goes to show you that LOVE EM OR HATE EM! KISS IS NEVER IGNORED!

This KISS pinball machine will be Stern's biggest selling machine in the past 20 years without question. I just hope they deliver on a great game especially since I have an LE on order!

ROCK & ROLL!!!

#12 4 years ago

#13 4 years ago

first like I think I ever gave you kaneda.
    don't agree completely but do for the most part.

hobbit delays are beyond ridiculous now. there's hype from the people that pre ordered 2+ years ago, but I don't think it's drawing in many new people. I could be wrong.

after seeing kiss in full color today, I went from not being interested to considering getting a premium AFTER I play one. looks like a fun layout and I like the way Borg games play. no more LEs for me though unless they make an Iron Maiden.

#14 4 years ago

Will this new KISS machine being this huge of a deal cause the original 77 KISS price lower or raise?

#15 4 years ago

I think it will increase the value of the original as people will want both next to each other. 2 different generations of pinball.
    I won't - but many will.

I think artwise they knocked it out of the park. now.....will code rise to the same level?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Mustang, wwe and kiss.
    Nice roll..... If you got stuck in the 80s.....

Not quite. Mustang's hey day was the 60's, Kiss the 70's and WWF probably the 80's. And I'd go back to the 80's in a heart beat if I could.

#17 4 years ago

Kaneda,
    Why don't you place on your profile your location and game collection... you're rambling rant feels like another troll thread, again..

#18 4 years ago

Could you be any more of an attention whore?

Change your name to Kaneshian and get it over with already.

#19 4 years ago

It's a good theme for a pin. There are tons of Kiss fans out there. I will consider buying one.

#20 4 years ago

Am I the only one here that remembers the op posting about a month ago that kiss is lame, and its the worst idea for a theme,and that kiss is irrelevant as a band?
    Now that the first pics are out its a 180.

#21 4 years ago

The OP is right, number don't lie. 7-8 pins to 1 by the competition.

Stern is king right now. And that's coming from a Bally/Williams guy!

-M

#23 4 years ago

Ouch. P3 didn't even make the list. What's a manufacturer got to do around here to get disrespected by Kaneda?

This thread is not really necessary, since we all know the difficulties and drama surrounding all the newer pinball projects, but I agree that Stern should be celebrated for all that they do. People used to complain that Stern was playing it too safe and was too focused on the bottom line - now we realize that running a professional and stable company in this industry shouldn't be taken for granted.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Now if JPOP could team up with someone who had production down, that would give stern a run.

If only JPop had somebody to run Zidware PR....

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Am I the only one here that remembers the op posting about a month ago that kiss is lame, and its the worst idea for a theme,and that kiss is irrelevant as a band?

I think a lot folks will do the full 180 after todays pictures. It looks so lush you want to lick it (up!). I hope this will be a big hit for all of us, the more sales Stern does, the better for everyone and we need some rotation on the used market too.

#26 4 years ago

Stern is my only option for me. Its just not worth spending the 6-9k for a game to throw on location for me. Ill stick with the PROs. I have WWE and KISS on order.

#27 4 years ago

Sorry but for me the price is turning me off NIB. Stern keeps jacking up the prices of their pins. It has to stop somewhere, doesn't it?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

I think a lot folks will do the full 180 after todays pictures. It looks so lush you want to lick it (up!). I hope this will be a big hit for all of us, the more sales Stern does, the better for everyone and we need some rotation on the used market too.

Agreed. I was in favor of kiss long before the release. I'm a kiss fan so that helps.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Nice roll..... If you got stuck in the 80s....

!

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Its just not worth spending the 6-9k for a game to throw on location for me. Ill stick with the PROs.

Coin ops here say the same. From what I know there is a single WoZ on location in the whole country and it's 500 miles from my home.

Even worse: the falling €/$ rate makes Stern pro out of reach for some operators. Friend of mine already passed on WWE and I doubt he will buy a Kiss.

#31 4 years ago

Stern is the only one in the big leagues, then it's boutique shops and that includes jjp. They have the potential and time will tell if they can get to sterns level. It may be hard to admit, but jjp has a long way to go to be considered a big boy in the pinball industry. Great games, just in the building stages.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Complete 180. As I've said I don't like their music and didn't think a KISS pin would be amazing. But holy shit Borg crushed it with this thing. It's just a beautiful work of art and makes you all giddy regardless of the music.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Kaneda,
    Why don't you place on your profile your location and game collection... you're rambling rant feels like another troll thread, again..

Thought everyone knew my collection by now but I'll update it. Have just one pin now and some vids. LOTR LE. Really debating adjusting my living room to fit more pins in or getting rid of some vids for pin space. I'm in NYC.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

Ouch. P3 didn't even make the list. What's a manufacturer got to do around here to get disrespected by Kaneda?
    This thread is not really necessary, since we all know the difficulties and drama surrounding all the newer pinball projects, but I agree that Stern should be celebrated for all that they do. People used to complain that Stern was playing it too safe and was too focused on the bottom line - now we realize that running a professional and stable company in this industry shouldn't be taken for granted.

Sorry about that was a few I left off just because it was late in Ireland when I posted.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Complete 180. As I've said I don't like their music and didn't think a KISS pin would be amazing. But holy shit Borg crushed it with this thing. It's just a beautiful work of art and makes you all giddy regardless of the music.

Falling for the launch hype?
    everyone here was fizzing at the slit over walking dead and that was a turd after a month!

#36 4 years ago

Dude, you in Lala-land.

Rock on Kisseda!

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Could you be any more of an attention whore?
    Change your name to Kaneshian and get it over with already.

Ok so are the 15 other new threads about KISS all started by whores? Seriously I love how I get so many down votes yet nobody refuted anything I said. Guess Kaneda hurts more than the truth. I'm a total sucker for a beautiful PIN and KISS is sexier than anything we've seen in a long time. Also just tired of people waiting years for thier pins. It's criminal what Stern's competitors have done to this hobby.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from urbanledge:

Falling for the launch hype?
    everyone here was fizzing at the slit over walking dead and that was a turd after a month!

Personally I never understood TWD hype and yes I'm definitely falling head over heels for KISS. Here's the difference for me. I'm not into TWD show (just haven't seen it) and not a big fan of KISS music, but put both those pins side by side and KISS makes you want to jump in and play way more. For me at least. I've palyed TWD at modern pinball a hundred times and the SDTM problem makes it just not fun.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cobra:

Sorry but for me the price is turning me off NIB. Stern keeps jacking up the prices of their pins. It has to stop somewhere, doesn't it?

Stops when competitors can ship you something too and for less. Stern knows collectors are addicted to buying these things. Heard they sold out of whoa Nellie and look at everyone who bitched about that price.

#40 4 years ago

Another excerpt from the upcoming book "Clueless: My Life with Felix" by Kaneda.

#41 4 years ago

JJP actually set a new standard for quality. TH is a continuation of that. I am a stern fan as I have
    30 of them. Your analysis of stern selling several titles while JJP is selling 1 , omits the fact about
    numbers. How many mustangs, TWD, WWE, WNBJM, have they sold, and at what price, while WOZ
    demand is consistent . I own every pin in this discussion so I have 'skin in the game' so to speak. Both
    Dutch pinball and JJP are producing a product that is much greater in quality and innovation than
    stern, as well as cost. There are many high end sports car makers that sell a few models at high
    prices compared to GM and Ford, yet they continue to prosper .

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Another excerpt from the upcoming book "Clueless: My Life with Felix" by Kaneda.

I'll sign the first editions!

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

JJP actually set a new standard for quality. TH is a continuation of that. I am a stern fan as I have
    30 of them. Your analysis of stern selling several titles while JJP is selling 1 , omits the fact about
    numbers. How many mustangs, TWD, WWE, WNBJM, have they sold, and at what price, while WOZ
    demand is consistent . I own every pin in this discussion so I have 'skin in the game' so to speak. Both
    Dutch pinball and JJP are producing a product that is much greater in quality and innovation than
    stern, as well as cost. There are many high end sports car makers that sell a few models at high
    prices compared to GM and Ford, yet they continue to prosper .

I agree that Sterns quality has been the main issue for most. With JJP and Dutch you see where the 9k is going. Unfortunately Stern can charge get much now for an LE simply because there's nothing else to buy. I will say this, Stern seems to be turning more innovation on lately. I think people would rather see innovation on the play field vs LCD screens. But really Sterns biggest innovation is Spike. They really understand how to slowly improve a working model vs trying to re invent the wheel like a lot of the new guys are. Dutch gets this. JJP may have tried too hard with WOZ to innovate too much and look at all the problems they had getting that machine shipped. Nobody is questioning the Hobbits quality, but where is it?

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

I'm delighted each time a manufacturer puts out a pin that I have zero interest in buying. In that respect, Stern is definitely on a roll.

Yes, I'm not a Walking Dead or WWE fan either. Or a car buff. That Hobbitt looks great and so does Heighway's Alien. I'd like to see some original themes someday.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Ok so are the 15 other new threads about KISS all started by whores?

Yes KISSARMYWHORES or something like that.

Quoted from kaneda:

I'm a total sucker for a beautiful PIN and KISS is sexier than anything we've seen in a long time.

It's an ugly mess

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Yes KISSARMYWHORES or something like that.

It's an ugly mess

Now now KISS is not an ugly mess! Also how have you seem Heighway's Alien? Didn't think photos were out there.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Now now KISS is not an ugly mess! Also how have you seem Heighway's Alien? Didn't think photos were out there.

There's some conceptual photos, no final art revealed yet. Whitewood technical here:
    http://arcadeheroes.com/2015/02/20/heighway-pinball-unveils-alien-pinball-whitewood/
    More descriptions on Heighways page...
    http://heighwaypinball.com/gamenew/

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

There's some conceptual photos, no final art revealed yet. Whitewood technical here:
    http://arcadeheroes.com/2015/02/20/heighway-pinball-unveils-alien-pinball-whitewood/
    More descriptions on Heighways page...
    http://heighwaypinball.com/gamenew/

Will be interesting to see how Aliens develops. But you can't deny the beauty that Kiss brings to pinball.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Will be interesting to see how Aliens develops. But you can't deny the beauty that Kiss brings to pinball.

I used to show my little sister those scary ugly mofos on album covers in the record stores to scare her. Got in so much trouble from mom.

images.jpg
    #50 4 years ago

Thanks Kaneda for weighing in on this rarely discussed topic. Nice to know Stern has finally "made it" lol..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside