(Topic ID: 306917)

Stern cabinet flipper buttons, same 'quality' as the coil stops?

By metallik

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Chrizg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

So I managed to slapsave my Iron Maiden's right flipper button completely out of the cabinet last night (only one warning with legit tilt so I didn't hit it that_ hard). This impromptu disassembly cost me ball 3 in a billion point game and I'd rather it not happen again. I haven't had a chance to look closely at the remnants (at work now) but it looked like just plastic bump in the shaft keeps it in place?

Are these buttons basically crap like Stern's coil stops, or did I get unlucky? The root question is: do I need to replace just this button, or are all modern Stern cabinet buttons garbage and need preemptive replacement?

#2 2 years ago

Kinda. I put eclips on all of them when i get a new game.

#3 2 years ago

You remember what size ?

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You remember what size ?

I have a box of like 100 different sizes from Amazon. I’ll have to look later.

#5 2 years ago

Its no biggie, I can take the remnant part to HD and test fit there

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have a box of like 100 different sizes from Amazon. I’ll have to look later.

that would be sweet!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

that would be sweet!

Looks like 1/4” works.

#8 2 years ago

5/16 E Clips. They are on all my games including the lock down bar buttons

#9 2 years ago

It is pretty hard to press on the 1/4” ones. So 5/16” sounds better. Thanks for helping!

#10 2 years ago

An even easier fix:

1. Take the button portion that popped out and place it on a flat surface, button side down. You'll see a hollow tube that goes into the machine.
2. Take a philips screwdriver and press it into the hole to widen it. Rotate the screwdriver and repeat. Don't overdo it. Just make it about 1/2mm bigger.
3. Smack it back into the machine. It'll never come out again.

#11 2 years ago

I’ve had the same thing happen with JJP pins. Also fixed it using an E clip.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

So I managed to slapsave my Iron Maiden's right flipper button completely out of the cabinet last night (only one warning with legit tilt so I didn't hit it that_ hard). This impromptu disassembly cost me ball 3 in a billion point game and I'd rather it not happen again. I haven't had a chance to look closely at the remnants (at work now) but it looked like just plastic bump in the shaft keeps it in place?
Are these buttons basically crap like Stern's coil stops, or did I get unlucky? The root question is: do I need to replace just this button, or are all modern Stern cabinet buttons garbage and need preemptive replacement?

Damn. I'm guessing a few choice words were spoken when the flipper button popped loose?

#13 2 years ago

Yes they are crap, they're press fit.

Get an aftermarket button, then you can have something other than red.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Damn. I'm guessing a few choice words were spoken when the flipper button popped loose?

Just shitshitshit as I tried finger in the hole (yea baby) which didn't work, was opening the coindoor as it drained down the right inlane. Coindoor ballsaver was not enabled... d'oh. Realized a few seconds later I could have entered the service menu to pause the game and deal with the button. Double d'oh.

OTOH I'd just gotten out of Cyborg and still had a mode to qualify and do before 2MTM and wasn't close to any multiballs, so no guarantee I get much more than I already had.

#15 2 years ago

Stern and quality in the same sentence.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Yes they are crap, they're press fit.
Get an aftermarket button, then you can have something other than red.

I've had more problems with aftermarket buttons than I've ever had with Stern buttons.

The clear ones in particular I've noticed have poor overall quality. Maybe new batches are better.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

There seemed to be a few years where they were terrible and exploding left and right, I’m thinking like Star Trek thorough Ghostbusters. They were really bad and it seemed to happen all the time on new games.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I've had more problems with aftermarket buttons than I've ever had with Stern buttons.
The clear ones in particular I've noticed have poor overall quality. Maybe new batches are better.

Stopped buying the clear ones years ago. 100% fail rate for me and only bought 3 sets of them. Haha

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stopped buying the clear ones years ago. 100% fail rate for me and only bought 3 sets of them. Haha

Freaking weird. I’ve had none of my clear sets break and I have had maybe 10? However, I think everyone plays their games more than I do :-p

#20 2 years ago

The clear ones on location would always get stuck in place. They sucked to play.

2 weeks later
#21 2 years ago

I bought some 5/16 e clips (unless HW store had them labeled wrong?) and they don’t pop onto the button shaft…..but they tension grip the shaft. Not sure they’d stay on?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

7 months later
#22 1 year ago

I ran into this problem this week on a TWD - flipper buttons can be pulled out - poorly made apparently.

What I did to fix it was fire up my soldering iron, and slightly melt the end of the plastic to deform the edge slightly so it wouldn't pull back out. That seemed to work well.

If anybody has a source for new buttons, let me know - the ones that everybody seems to sell are slightly longer than what Stern is using now.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

5/16 E Clips. They are on all my games including the lock down bar buttons

This e clip works to add to existing buttons. They are on all my route games. Recent production sterns no longer have the flipper buttons with the plastic ledge. They have a groove with the e clip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-cabinet-flipper-buttons-same-quality-as-the-coil-stops and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.