4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I've read as much as I can find relating to 43 volt issues on early Stern machines. I've checked, verified, and replaced the playfield fuse at 1 amp slo-blo. As stated in the title, I have an Alltek MPU and solenoid driver board, plus the BPS018 board from Rottendog. I've verified the wiring with as many photos as I could find here, plus the diagrams that come with those boards.

Here's what it does:
Power on, 7 dings, dim LED on the MPU. Add credits, press start button, manually feed the ball into the shooter lane. I can play the game with flippers, but no solenoids. Check the playfield fuse, yes? I've checked it every time it does this. 1 Amp, slo-blo, tones fine in my hand and when placed in the fuse clips. Playfield fuse seems as good as it could be. Solenoids all move freely, none are locked. I've checked every switch I can find to verify anything under the playfield isn't as it should be. I've manually raised the drop targets, they'll score when struck so the switch works. I've reflowed solder to both sides of the playfield fuse wiring. I've tracked the yellow wire from there all throughout the game and it looks well-connected.

If there's 46v (yeah it's high, is that too high?) going to each coil, why is there no life--ground issue?

#2 4 years ago

Do any of them fire in the solenoid test? I'd assume there's an issue with the boards usually, but since they're alltek I'd assume maybe a connector issue.

#3 4 years ago

46v is fine. Check at an actual solenoid lug for 43v too to rule out a connector issue on the rectifier board

Bad connectors from mpu j4 to driver j4 would be the next guess if it is not the PF fuse or rectifier connector. You can put the game in solenoid test, go the the solenoid decoder chip on the driver board and check the outputs for activity during solenoid test. Solenoid test in big game goes through every solenoid output used which is all of them except for the all high input pattern for #15, so all should pulse during its turn in sol test except the highest output.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

*edit* nm its an alltek driver board. I dunno what they do to decode solenoids on that but still mpu j4 to driver j4 is important.

#4 4 years ago

The solenoid test cycle only seems to activate the coin lockout coil and the flipper relay. MPU to driver J4 is a bit flaky as I can flex it and it will sometimes not boot.

The 46v was also measured and present at each coil's lug.

While you're here, the audio board cables found on your site are nice, thanks for the quick shipping on them!

#5 4 years ago

Definitely need to get in the habit of repinning all connectors on these old games. Eliminates lots of issues.

#6 4 years ago

*Throws cash in the air*
Woohoo drinks are on me, we have solenoids and the game <kinda> plays now!

Looks like I'm still missing slingshots and the one's digit on all displays, but that's likely more connector issues. Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-big-game-w-alltek-s-boots-no-solenoids-yet-46v-at-ea-solenoid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.