(Topic ID: 241951)

Stern Battle Royale - The best Stern since 2000

By FalconPunch

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190505-100155 (resized).png
    giant-douche-or-turd-sandwich-your-call (resized).jpg
    E5CC4882-3E8A-4820-ACF3-F0CFC3A2CBAE (resized).jpeg
    3A2257A5-460B-4C88-8C2B-E68AF0258D28 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190426_132456 (resized).jpg
    ep90ps (resized).jpg

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

I have seeded the 'best' 32 Stern games according to Pinside rankings.

I have created an online bracket style vote.

>>>>>>>>>> https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/yLp5S_LFN? <<<<<<<<<<<<<

ep90ps (resized).jpgep90ps (resized).jpg

Each Pinball machines goes Head to Head and 1 of them (based off your vote) gets eliminated every 24 hours. So after 24 hours you vote again for the next stage. The votes are hidden to ensure you vote for what you think and not based off what everyone else is voting!

In 5 days from this post we will have the winner.

I think the first 16 choices are pretty easy but in 24 hours it becomes a lot harder.

The word 'BEST' can be used any way you want.
    Personally I tried to judge the machine on the follow 3 criteria to try and be objective.

1. Best Home Game
    2. Best Location Game
    3. Best Tournament Game

And from there you can include arguments like Art, Price, rules, layout, replay value, fun factor, potential earnings...whatever you want

A lot of games from Stern have suffered initially from really average code which inturn lowered their ranking. It will be interesting to see how the results compare to the Pinside current rank!

#2 4 years ago

Nice! Should be interesting and enlightening.

#3 4 years ago

Should be fun. How do you decide which two games to put against each other? I think you should draw them out of a hat and make it random..

#4 4 years ago

Following as this is an awesome idea

#5 4 years ago

This will be fun to see how this comes out.

#6 4 years ago

Who-Dey They are seeded.
    Which mean I made a list according to Pinside top 100

1 Lord of the Rings
    2 Metallica
    3 Iron Maiden
    4 AC/DC
    5 Star Trek
    6 Simsons pinball Party
    7 Spiderman
    8 Walking Dead
    9 Tron
    10 Deadpol
    11 Ghostbusters
    12 Batman 66
    13 Iron Man
    14 Star Wars
    15 Aerosmith
    16 Munsters
    17 Game Of thrones
    18 X-Men
    19 Guardians of the galaxy
    20 Pirates
    21 Family Guy
    22 Beatles
    23 KISS
    24 Batman Dark Knight
    25 Sopranos
    26 Mustang
    27 Shrek
    28 Elvis
    29 Terminator 3
    30 Avengers
    31 Avatar
    32 Nascar / Grand Prix

Then for a proper bracket you have

1 Vs 32.
    2 Vs 31
    3 vs 30

Etc

The reason is so that the 'top pins' should have a chance to versus each other at the end. I believe they use the same system for Tennis, probably basketball as well. If you have the 2 'best' pins against each other in the first round it is kind of anti climactic.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

who-dey They are seeded.
    Which mean I made a list according to Pinside top 100
    1 Lord of the Rings
    2 Metallica
    3 Iron Maiden
    4 AC/DC
    5 Star Trek
    6 Simsons pinball Party
    7 Spiderman
    8 Walking Dead
    9 Tron
    10 Deadpol
    11 Ghostbusters
    12 Batman 66
    13 Iron Man
    14 Star Wars
    15 Aerosmith
    16 Munsters
    17 Game Of thrones
    18 X-Men
    19 Guardians of the galaxy
    20 Pirates
    21 Family Guy
    22 Beatles
    23 KISS
    24 Batman Dark Knight
    25 Sopranos
    26 Mustang
    27 Shrek
    28 Elvis
    29 Terminator 3
    30 Avengers
    31 Avatar
    32 Nascar / Grand Prix
    Then for a proper bracket you have
    1 Vs 32.
    2 Vs 31
    3 vs 30
    Etc
    The reason is so that the 'top pins' should have a chance to versus each other at the end. I believe they use the same system for Tennis, probably basketball as well. If you have the 2 'best' pins against each other in the first round it is kind of anti climactic.

Yeah thats a good idea because the lower ranked pins probably wont be there in the end anyway no matter what. Will there be any cinderella pins though that makes it higher than expected like in the basketball tournaments? Hmm.....should be interesting.and fun to see.

#8 4 years ago

Deadpool v Kiss was the only first round choice I had to think about. I like both games and play them regularly. Went with the chimichangas.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah thats a good idea because the lower ranked pins probably wont be there in the end anyway no matter what. Will there be any cinderella pins though that makes it higher than expected like in the basketball tournaments? Hmm.....should be interesting.and fun to see.

Ripley's would have been a bracket buster if it had made the list.

#10 4 years ago

Prediction- TWD is the eventual winner. That said, Met is really the best for a myriad of reasons.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Ripley's would have been a bracket buster if it had made the list.

Ohh Boy.
    Ripley's Believe It or Not is meant to be seeded between Guardians and Pirates. Not sure how I missed it.
    We are only 2 hours into the vote but there are already 100+ votes so I think we should just let it it stand.
    Whoops
    Not sure if it would have made it into the final 8 though

#12 4 years ago

Following

#13 4 years ago

Voted. But I will give you my top here:

1. Iron Man
    2. Tron
    3. Black Knight Sword of Rage Pro
    4. The Walking Dead
    5. Iron Maiden

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Deadpool v Kiss was the only first round choice I had to think about. I like both games and play them regularly. Went with the chimichangas.

Same! DP is the clear winner there, but KISS is really good now and could’ve beat a bunch of the others...

#15 4 years ago

Avatar vs Metallica? Cmon. Avatar is a great game but not a fair battle. Avatar would rank higher if it didn’t get eliminated so early.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Avatar vs Metallica? Cmon. Avatar is a great game but not a fair battle. Avatar would rank higher if it didn’t get eliminated so early.

I agree

#17 4 years ago

Can I write in RBION?

You should re-run it with Ripley's once this *tournament* is finished. Would be interesting to see how varied the results would be the second time around, regardless of the Ripley's thing.

#18 4 years ago

Oh, and I voted KISS. Don't count it out just yet. Great game.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Can I write in RBION?
    You should re-run it with Ripley's once this *tournament* is finished. Would be interesting to see how varied the results would be the second time around, regardless of the Ripley's thing.

Ok, Once the results are in I will do it again with maybe 2 hour windows so that it can be done in a day? I would also try and seed it slightly differently

#21 4 years ago

Btw if you love a game that you don't think is going to win you have to state your case as to why it's better than the other game!

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ohh Boy.
    Ripley's Believe It or Not is meant to be seeded between Guardians and Pirates. Not sure how I missed it.
    We are only 2 hours into the vote but there are already 100+ votes so I think we should just let it it stand.
    Whoops

Oh Man,
    You gonna feel the Wrath of Clifford Tucker now

Voted, Nice work Ryza !

#23 4 years ago

Like the idea however your bracket making skills are a little off. Met is a 2 seed and should be at the bottom of the bracket not in the middle. Would be interesting to see what the results would be if the tournament was seeded properly? 1 vs 32 at the top and 2 vs 31 at the bottom, etc...

Met is my favorite stern. Imdn probably second, acdc third. Hmmm, guess I like music games

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Like the idea however your bracket making skills are a little off. Met is a 2 seed and should be at the bottom of the bracket not in the middle. Would be interesting to see what the results would be if the tournament was seeded properly? 1 vs 32 at the top and 2 vs 31 at the bottom, etc...
    Met is my favorite stern. Imdn probably second, acdc third. Hmmm, guess I like music games

I copied it off an online bracket system. Metallica is on one side and lotr is on the other. So they can meet in the final 2 if it comes to that

IMG_20190426_132456 (resized).jpgIMG_20190426_132456 (resized).jpg
    #25 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I copied it off an online bracket system. Metallica is on one side and lotr is on the other. So they can meet in the final 2 if it comes to that [quoted image]

So could NASCAR and Avatar.

#26 4 years ago

Best location is Deadpool or Ghostbusters!

#27 4 years ago

I find it funny that there are not the same number of votes for all the match ups. Some people must have tired out after the first match up.

Excellent idea. This will be fun.

#28 4 years ago

3 upsets in the First round....and all on Right side of the bracket!!

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

3 upsets in the First round....and all on Right side of the bracket!!

Can you see the results?

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

Can you see the results?

Nah.....just my picks....

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Voted. But I will give you my top here:
    1. Iron Man
    2. Tron
    3. Black Knight Sword of Rage Pro
    4. The Walking Dead
    5. Iron Maiden

Black Knight just came out and code is not nearly done and you have it #3 above the best game ever TWD? The same Black Knight that makes Star Wars look loaded with features. Black Knight that doesn't even have a real bash toy, just a stupid stand up target in front of the toy?

Good gawd, you should not be allowed to vote. Ugh

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ohh Boy.
    Whoops

How unfortunate.

#33 4 years ago

My hardest decision was IM vs Potc.

Own both for many years.

Potc is good all around pin with lots of toys and overall good rules. But can be a little too much chopping wood.

IM probably win the poll (I voted IM). Something about it seems to be more than the sum of its parts.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ok, Once the results are in I will do it again with maybe 2 hour windows so that it can be done in a day? I would also try and seed it slightly differently

Why not just do it again now. You pretty much blew it.

#35 4 years ago

My Personal Final Four:

Game of Thrones (This bracket is stacked, but I own both GOT and TWD and GOT is just more fun to me)
    AC/DC (Hard for me to choose between AC/DC and BM66 but I'll go AC/DC)
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden

How I think the Final Four will look after voting:

Tron (This most likely will be Tron vs TWD and I think Tron wins out)
    Star Trek (There is a lot of love for Star Trek on this site. I personally don't care for it, but the masses will determine the winner)
    Metallica (I think Met as the easiest path the the Final Four)
    Iron Maiden (TSPP could possibly pull the upset here, but I think Iron Maiden is good enough and new enough to hold them off)

#36 4 years ago

Tron v TWD is super tough one for me.

Imo the big three from Borg

Met
    TWD
    Tron

(Hard for me to not see one of those in the final 2). I can’t pick a winner of those.

LotR seems to be top number 1 but for me was too long to play more than a few games in a row.

#37 4 years ago

How did Transformers not make the list?

#38 4 years ago

There will be upsets. That is just destined in a bracket system. However, excellent job laying it out, and I like the way you seeded it.

Aerosmith is a great game in my opinion, but Metallica will slaughter it in round 2 (as it should).

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Black Knight just came out and code is not nearly done and you have it #3 above the best game ever TWD? The same Black Knight that makes Star Wars look loaded with features. Black Knight that doesn't even have a real bash toy, just a stupid stand up target in front of the toy?
    Good gawd, you should not be allowed to vote. Ugh

Just giving you my honest feedback. Black Knight is FUN AS F*CK. We get all the new games and operate all of them, and I have been in the hobby for a decade. Between my business partner and myself we own over 120 games. This isn't just a knee jerk reaction to the latest game. Black Knight is WAY BETTER in every way than Star Wars. So I feel as though I should definitely get a vote.

You don't have to like it, and since it isn't even on the poll, the question remains...Why are you so mad bro?
    That was my list, where's yours? Instead of insulting the OP for "pretty much blowing it" and me for not sharing the same favorite game as yourself, why do you feel the need to troll and why can't you just participate decently like the rest of us?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I thought about posting the same. Metallica is the easy choice between the two, but Avatar is a really underappreciated game. Its definitely better than many of the machines rated over it IMO. I miss mine...

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Just giving you my honest feedback. Black Knight is FUN AS F*CK. We get all the new games and operate all of them, and I have been in the hobby for a decade. Between my business partner and myself we own over 120 games. This isn't just a knee jerk reaction to the latest game. Black Knight is WAY BETTER in every way than Star Wars. So I feel as though I should definitely get a vote.
    You don't have to like it, and since it isn't even on the poll, the question remains...Why are you so mad bro?
    That was my list, where's yours? Instead of insulting the OP for "pretty much blowing it" and me for not sharing the same favorite game as yourself, why do you feel the need to troll and why can't you just participate decently like the rest of us?

Putting Black Knight ahead of TWD is not participating decently.
    It's a fun game so far. We"ll see how it holds up over time. Certainly better than Star Wars. But just look how empty the playfield on Black Knight is.

My posts are all tongue in cheek. There is no mad. I was messing with Donkeypunch about blowing the pole.

Edit:
    List as requested
    TWD premium (best code ever and it's not even close)
    Tron (wonderfully satisfying shots and music. Proves somewhat shallow code can be great)
    LOTR (Great Code and a great Layout. It actually has a bash toy and not some stupid stand up target in front of Balrog)
    Metallica/AcDc (Lyman code again)

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Why not just do it again now. You pretty much blew it.

Because it would go up against Iron Man in the first round. Probably get eliminated - But if it got through it would go up against AC/DC in the next round and there is no way it would win against that. I didn't think many more people would vote after 100, but we are at 400+ votes so hindsight is 20/20!

1.5 hours to go until the next round!

#43 4 years ago

Say it announcer guy.
    Deadpool wins.
    Now say, Deadpool is the greatest.
    No!

#44 4 years ago

Round 1 is Done and its onto round 2!!!!

Same link - https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/yLp5S_LFN?

Closest was:
    Ghostbusters Versus Beatles
    Aerosmith Versus Xmen

Biggest blow outs where:
    Iron Maiden Vs Avengers
    MET Vs avatar
    LOTR Vs Nascar
    AC/DC Vs T3
    Star Trek Vs Elvis
    Simpsons Vs Shrek

The hardest for me in this round will be Spider-man VS Deadpool as they are so different

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

The hardest for me in this round will be Spider-man VS Deadpool as they are so different

Im a real big fan of SMVE, owned it for over a year; and even a fan of the original spider-man, owned it twice. But, DP is on a whole other level - so much more to do, more to shoot for, and a huge sound package; not to mention the art. It will be close because DP is still so new and a lot of people haven’t got to experience its greatness yet.

#46 4 years ago

My worst fear has come to pass TWD v Tron.

Grudgingly vote cast for Tron. The game has changed. Tron was the first “great” Stern game of the last decade.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Round 1 is Done and its onto round 2!!!!
    Same link - https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/yLp5S_LFN?
    Closest was:
    Ghostbusters Versus Beatles
    Aerosmith Versus Xmen
    Biggest blow outs where:
    Iron Maiden Vs Avengers
    MET Vs avatar
    LOTR Vs Nascar
    AC/DC Vs T3
    Star Trek Vs Elvis
    Simpsons Vs Shrek

Aerosmith beat X-Men? I don't know if I can even take this poll seriously anymore.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Aerosmith beat X-Men? I don't know if I can even take this poll seriously anymore.

The win puts it up against MET, so it will be out this round (I own both, and MET is better, even though I love Aerosmith).

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Well 156 different people agree with you
    The problem is 229 other people don't.
    It is the most shocking thing in pinball. Other people don't like the same stuff you like. I still struggle with the concept too!

#50 4 years ago

No Rbion? That's a travesty

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-battle-royale-the-best-stern-since-2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.