35%
  • I don’t think it will be as collectible as you think it will be 21 votes
    16%

(131 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bitmoji-20180823070038 (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I’ve got the buying bug and this one is at the top of the list. It’s so blasted expensive though. I have no doubt that it will be a sought-after machine someday. Looking for opinions on what you think of the risk vs reward on this pin. No enablers!!! Ha!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

I’ve got the buying bug and this one is at the top of the list. It’s so blasted expensive though. I have no doubt that it will be a sought-after machine someday. Looking for opinions on what you think of the risk vs reward on this pin. No enablers!!! Ha!

It's a SUBSTANTIALLY better pin than it was a year ago, thanks to Lyman's software. However, it has a lot of competition right now. I'd look at Iron Maiden, Houdini, Attack From Mars remake, Metallica, and maybe even jjPotC before I considered Batman'66.

But if you're a batman fan and that's the REASON for the choice, it's the best version of Batman in a pin to date.

#3 5 years ago

We love our BM66. There are a lot of exceptional games available at the moment, plenty of choices. Find one to play, and play it for a few hours before you make your mind up. It has taken me a long time to warm up to the game, I really like it now, my wife however has loved it from day 1. Yes, I agree, it is ridiculously expensive.

#4 5 years ago

If you're into the theme and you enjoy the gameplay - it's worth it! Only the SLE or the LE have some collectible value due mainly to the cool topper. The Premium (which i own) is what it is - a really fun game!

#5 5 years ago

My favorite pin as I love the gameplay, art but most importantly theme, so in my opinion.........
bitmoji-20180823070038 (resized).pngbitmoji-20180823070038 (resized).png

#6 5 years ago

I have no doubt that it will be a sought-after machine someday.

Its not a investment, its a pinball machine. You dont buy games because you think that people are going to be wanting them someday. By the time that happens (if it ever happens) you will probably be dead anyways, unless you are like 20 years old or something. BM66 is a decent game and its a great theme and it has beautiful artwork, but its definitely not worth the inflated price tag that Stern put on it, not to me anyways and its actually a dream theme for me.

#7 5 years ago

Overpriced NIB no doubt, if you pick one up 2nd hand at a decent price then maybe it's worth it but like any pinball an investment it is not.

#8 5 years ago

Layout of this one is meh in my opinion. Gameplay was getting better and better when I had it at home on loan 6 months ago. LCD animations were really great too. I’m not a fan of theme (but don’t dislike it). The layout was the main complain to not buy it.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its not a investment, its a pinball machine. You dont buy games because you think that people are going to be wanting.

‘Investment’ is a poor choice of words on my part. I guess when I say investment I mean more like “high-priced item that I plan to keep for a long, long time”. I’ve sold enough of my arcade games to know that you never make money on them...at least not enough to call them an investment anyway.
Probably a better choice of words is “heirloom” as I can see this being something that my kid will want to keep when he’s an adult, and maybe even pass along to his own kids someday.

#10 5 years ago

I consider my BM66 LE one of the jewels of my collection, perhaps THE jewel.

#11 5 years ago

I'm an old guy who's been playing pinball for over 50 years and BM66 has become my all time favorite pin.

Super deep ruleset with even more on the way. A truly fun game that will take me forever to figure out. So many different ways to play.

Any negativity you hear about the game is due to the lack of code when first released and that dopey contest for those wanting to purchase an LE when they were first announced.

I sold my AC/DC to help fund it and I have zero regrets.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Any negativity you hear about the game is due to the lack of code when first released and that dopey contest for those wanting to purchase an LE when they were first announced.

Definitely had a rough time out of the gates. Shows how strong the game is today for it to turn that around, a lot of games never recover.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its not a investment, its a pinball machine. You dont buy games because you think that people are going to be wanting them someday. By the time that happens (if it ever happens) you will probably be dead anyways, unless you are like 20 years old or something. BM66 is a decent game and its a great theme and it has beautiful artwork, but its definitely not worth the inflated price tag that Stern put on it, not to me anyways and its actually a dream theme for me.

@whodey is a huge Stern fanboy If he says No on a Stern, you should probably stay away

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I sold my AC/DC to help fund it and I have zero regrets.

Traded AC/DC for one as well.
Caught it as it as code evolved, no regrets.

#15 5 years ago

Yes, it’s totally worth it. Should be ranked much higher but for incomplete early code.

#16 5 years ago

Love the game and think it's one of the best Stern games out there. Theme, artwork, and display are awesome. Gameplay basics are easy to pick up on and I just like how it plays. I guess I am a sucker for campy themes. Love to have one some day if prices come down. It really does seem overpriced when you compare it to other Stern premium games.

I can see criticism of layout but I like it. Biggest issue for me is balls get stuck all the time around the rotisserie toy as it spins. That gets annoying.

#17 5 years ago

I think the theme integration is great on this game. The code, sounds, and video are all excellent. The layout is pretty meh but I think there are enough toys and everything else makes up for it pretty well. I think there are several sterns that are better games but BM66 is great if you like that theme.

#18 5 years ago

It's a stupid fun game if you enjoy games that look and feel basic but have a lot of mode depth and strategy. The one I play is a bit clunky as it's on location so I would LOVE to play one that is dialed in and playing right. To me, the only downside is the price. If they would have done Pro, Prem, LE on it then I think it would be much more sought after. My ONLY hesitation with buying one is buying what feels like a Pro (to me, not a dig on the game) at more $$$ than what a reg Prem version game is selling for (I'm talking NIB).

If they wind up dropping into the High $5K range I'll likely pick one up otherwise I'll stick to the one on location. Again, not a dig on the game but that's my value point for it.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

@whodey is a huge Stern fanboy If he says No on a Stern, you should probably stay away

Exactly! This guy ^^^ gets it, listen to him.

#20 5 years ago

Its a fun game with a great theme. Only you can determine value. If you find the price a bit steep, buy used and local to avoid shipping fees.

Enjoy!

#22 5 years ago

I don't know if you have one in Wichita area to put any time on, but I have an LE in the Topeka area in case you want to put on a few games.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I don't know if you have one in Wichita area to put any time on, but I have an LE in the Topeka area in case you want to put on a few games.

I’d like an LE. Since I grew up in Topeka, you should sell it to me.

#24 5 years ago

has there been any issues with the turntable or crane in this game?

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

The only issue I've had with it on my game is that it can be somewhat "clunky" to shoot at times (depending on orientation) and it's not unusual for the ball(s) to get hung up in it temporarily until the game goes through a ball search.

#26 5 years ago

i want one for myself, too. i considered bm66 and aerosmith. ended up w/ aero for a variety of reasons and price point was def a consideration. i really love bm66 and have a little bit of buyers remorse. aero is fun and ive even added a few mods.

here were some of my reasons for choosing aero in no particular order...

—price diff vs bm66
—i love the band
—mancave is a hodgepodge of my interests which includes music/bands/concert posters
—pinball artwork
—its fun to play
—decent amout of mods
—my friend has bm66 so i have access to it regularly

but i will say that bm66 is my 2nd fave pinball of all time, after tron (which i proudly own). im also a big comic reader and batman has always been my fave, maybe not THAT version of batman but i remember watching the show on nick at night and enjoying it. and the theme is perfect for pinball imo.

last note...dont let anybody shame you into your reasons or intentions for your own hobby. whether its an heirloom or an investment, its yours. the crank who attemped to enforce his standards of pinball ownership on you should be ignored. i hate seeing that kind of correspondence here.

I RECCO BATMAN66!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

The only issue I’ve seen was a NIb pin that had a stripped gear set in a motor within about 50 plays.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

The only issue I’ve seen was a NIb pin that had a stripped gear set in a motor within about 50 plays.

I remember that well...... Sucker made it through the rest of the show though! Some good ole Kentucky rigging!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Definitely had a rough time out of the gates. Shows how strong the game is today for it to turn that around, a lot of games never recover.

Generally, the only games that have that kind of turnaround are Lyman games.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Quoted from Bud:

Yes, there have been several NIB BM66s with turntable issues, including mine, related to the wiring harness for the turntable not being routed correctly during assembly. On mine the damage was contained to the wiring sheath being frayed, which was an easy fix. Others had a broken harness that needed replacing, which is MUCH more work .....

#31 5 years ago

I think the game is fun and after playing it when back and started watching the tv show it was based on which if it can do that than the theme works. That being said i believe the game is a rehashed emptier-playfield version of the dark knight. The game is insanely overpriced now i havent played it since all the new code updates came out. But a lot of people who have it said they regret spending so much money on it. With iron maiden, deadpool, pirates etc theres a lot better choices to spend your money on

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I consider my BM66 LE one of the jewels of my collection, perhaps THE jewel.

I wholeheartedly agree. I own an LE and was not pleased during the first Summer that I owned it. It got a really slow start. However, now it's my favorite in a pretty good lineup, squeezed in between IM, Tron, MMR, & TWD. Why is that? Well, during that dark first Summer, BM66 owners created some of the best pin mods ever, and I must have added 6 or 8 to my game during that time period. Then, the code started cranking with numerous updates, and now the game is so deep that you would almost have to be Batman himself to be able to get through half the modes in a single game. The theme immersion is already awesome, as it really feels like you're fighting the villains during game play. The code still isn't finished but here's what it's got right now, besides great music, a treasure trove of video content from the series, and custom call outs from West and Burton:

- Penguin, Joker, Catwoman, and Riddler have approximately 14 combined levels to their modes. I think two of them have four levels and the other two have three levels each.
- Mad Hatter has 2 modes as does Shame, Egghead, and King Tut
- Bookworm and Mr. Freeze each have one mode.
- Completing each Minor Villain also brings some key game play bonus, such as freezing Minor Villain timers, unlocking previously incomplete Minor Villain modes to play again, etc.
- Bat Turn mode is awesome and unique.
- There's a Batpole combo, as well as many other combos and cool graphics as you accumulate them.
- Mini wizards: Villain Escape and Batuzi with supposedly two more coming (all multiballs so far).
- A regular Batcave fight multiball, plus a Shame Minor Villain two ball multiball.

Early buyers had some loose screws and such out of the box and some think the playfield is clunky, and the orbits are a little tighter than usual. I've been able to tweak my playfield here and there to get it to play well for my tastes. The art is awesome and the topper is perhaps the best ever, with a cool Bat Light which can be added. It really is a great game now and there's more coming with another big code update expected in the coming weeks.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

If you're into the theme and you enjoy the gameplay - it's worth it! Only the SLE or the LE have some collectible value due mainly to the cool topper. The Premium (which i own) is what it is - a really fun game!

Great theme and gameplay is a hundred times better than when it came out.

I’m lucky enough to have the LE. It’s not my favorite pin in my collection, but it’ll probably be around for a long time.

It might take another year or two for Lyman to finish code, but when he does, I think it could be another TWD.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 34.99
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-batman-66-worth-it?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.