Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider travish.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Tell me where else are you going to buy a Nib pin for $5200? That's right no F ing where

You could if other manufacturers dropped their quality and features.

Problem is stern has followed others who use the charge more/get more formula when stern quality has went down/cut instead of improved.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No. I'm just sane.

Somehow sanelevi just doesn't sound right.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hogwash. Name another brand one can operate today whose pins are more reliable than Sterns. You can't.

Do you think you will be able to fix that node board that only applies to one machine in 20 years?
    How long has spike been in production and how many boards have you heard of being repaired instead of replaced?
    On average how many node boards are in a new stern?

I would put any of my early ss reconditioned 37~38 year old Williams up against a new stern right now. They didn't get that old by luck.

There are a lot of em's that would beat them both.

#145 6 years ago

Go to to the edge and back it up, go to the edge and back it up till you go off the edge and go down.

#160 6 years ago

If you are going to pinch a penny you are going to pinch ALL the pennies.

#168 6 years ago

I went with a friend to pick up a f14 and the guy had a met. It was the first time I had ever seen dimpling like that. Older sterns don't look like that. Something HAS changed.

#193 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

What's CG? I don't know the acronym. Thanks.

Chicago gaming.

#210 6 years ago

There is a difference somehow. My Gorgar is 38 years old. No dimples at all. You can see under the plastic transition to the playfield where the ball cant touch. Paint worn off, planking, other issues yes but no dimples. This was a routed machine for years.

#216 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Dimpling is there. It has just been pounded mostly flat from being routed for years. Plus you are dealing with a low light situation, and no clearcoat, all of that is going to make it look less obvious. Here is Vid's thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-dimple-reality-check
    Look at the first two pictures in the post. From the first picture, looks like no dimpling. Angle of light changes in the next, dimples everywhere. That is on a 20 year old MM. Anyone who reads the first three posts of Vid's thread and still thinks that dimpling is somehow new and limited to Stern just isn't being realistic.

That's why I got the close ups UNDER the edges of the plastics. If it was pounded flat you would be able to see a visible line/difference where the ball can touch and where it can't.
    Does clearcoat make wood softer because the clear can't dent unless the wood under dents also?
    I can make another clip with super bright lights and it won't matter.

How do you account for my cpr with thousands of plays and my new cpr with less than a hundred plays looking the same? Something HAS changed.

#246 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your Gorgar has MILLIONS of little ball swirls - tiny crescent-shaped scars filled with dirt that all games before mylar or clearcoating have. You won't find these on new stern games.
    So that HAS changed.
    Pick your poison bro. It's pinball.

Here's what I said.

"Paint worn off, planking, other issues yes but no dimples."

That's just the way it is.
    I just meant there is something different about the wood now. I also said older sterns are not dimpled like newer playfields.

1 week later
    #495 6 years ago

Hmm your test shows Metallica at 157. The worst case of "the dimples" I have ever seen was a Metallica?

#518 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Bottom line, every single one you whiners will buy another Stern if its a pin theme, code and layout you like.

Uh, no I won't be. If you like them that's great. Gives me a game to play on location.

IF I was going to spend 5~6~7,000 on a pin I sure wouldn't be wasting it 1 new machine. I would get 4 or 5 machines that I can fix and buy parts for for years to come.

#519 6 years ago

I for one appreciate real cold hard facts/testing. When I say I have 37~38 year old machines with out a single dimple people say "oh that machine is slow and never gets air balls" wrong, it airballs on every shot to the pit area. They say "all the dimples have been hammered flat" no, I posted videos of close ups on the edge of the fields and under the edges of the plastics where balls can never go. When I say why do my cpr's that have thousands of plays not have dimples and all you hear is no comment.

Something IS different and I'm not just talking about Williams or Ballys or a hundred other manufacturers over the years. If everything is "operation normal" why is it only the last 8 to 10 years that the word dimple has even been talked about.
    Until recently the word "ghosting" meant bulbs glowing. Guess I am to stupid to see clear not sticking too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider travish.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified?tu=travish and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.