Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#147 6 years ago

All companies look to reduce costs. Any that don't are idiots.
    Some of the cost cutting exercises are fine. I prefer the toggle clamp lockdown bar (they are solid compared to Stern's old receiver mechanism). Does anybody REALLY care that the backbox is now bolted in place instead of the great (but expensive) clamp system ? I don't give a damn. I won't touch the bolts again until I sell the game.

Lower BOMs on games ? Don't buy the game. Simple as that.

Where cost cutting becomes a problem is when quality suffers. This is something that has undeniably happened at Stern. The clearcoat and the cabinet issues are not acceptable.

#201 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

I still want to know if the metal parts are the same thickness. Like the legs and coil brackets etc. I don't have a stern anymore to compare. But I do have old side rails from swapping them out. From my IMVE and ST when I had them. And I can tell you 100% they are thinner than Williams ones. But I'm wondering if they are thinner today on Stern's compared to past stern machines like say a LoTR or TSSP?
    I agree a really don't care about the changes like the metal blackbox. The Lockbar mech. The service rails bug me a bit. What bothers me most is that the playfield wood and clearcoat are complete garbage. And I don't care what you say. My IMVE I could actually see the woodgrain in the clearcoat when looking at the playfield.
    And I have seen showroom pins like this as well. I'm sorry but that is horseshit.
    And as far as the circuit boards go. I did some research and the white and black CEM boards are the cheapest boards going. And mainly used in light duty household electronics products. And some in automobile applications.
    So are they built for commercial use to last year's and years. The answer to that is 100% no.
    And I understand that Williams pins weren't designed to last as long as they have. But they have lasted and you can easily fix/maintain them.
    I have seen 30 year old pins that have nicer glossy playfields and a sturdier built cabinet than a NIB Stern. And that's the saddest part.

I wonder if the ball guides etc are getting made in China from metric steel? Metric sheet is 1.5mm whereas imperial steel was 1/16 (1.588 mm).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified?tu=stoptap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.