Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago

Absolutely. Prices up, quality down. Simple. "Bashing" justified. We're the customer who they want to spend $5000-$15,000 on a large mechanical game....so if they're not providing value for that money, F yeah we're gonna "bash". Stern has many problems, but these are the most fundamental:

-Testing. This is a large piece of equipment, and they'd rather keep the title secret for marketing purposes than put it location to test. They used to test, and the games were better built when shipped because of it. They stopped around Avengers....and almost every game has had problems since & gotten worse.

-Code. These are games, and the code IS the game. They're selling expensive games in which the GAME isn't figured out yet, and they have no structure internally or within marketing that guarantees the game will ever be complete. This is massively unacceptable. $60 or less video games don't have this problem, and if a game ships with missing features or with bugs, the company always communicates and gives updates on updates. If a video game shipped buggy or incomplete and the company didn't communicate - that company goes out of business. Gamers would never buy their product again. And that's $60 or less.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern is the only company putting out reliable,

Debatable.

Debatable

LOL

#204 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

It’s not. My MMR dimples. My TOTAN doesn’t dimple much now because it was played a ton and flattened out and then clearcoated over an already compressed PF. My AFMr is dumpling. My Stern Star Trek dimpled and now looks level since it has been played so much.
    Metal is harder than wood.

Some games dimple. Some games crater. There's a difference. Cratered games will never smooth out. They'll always look like lumpy clay. Stern games have been inconsistent in this way since around Star Trek. My friend's LE looked like absolute mush, mine has some dimples but was overall glassy and smooth.

So please, when people complain about dimples, don't treat them like they're newbs and don't get it. There are different levels of dimpling. Acceptable metal/wood, and craters. Craters never even out or look good down the road.

#255 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Why do you think Stern finally went LCD.
    Because it instantly dated the DMD machines.

Nah, it's cuz everyone else had done it already, even boutique companies...they were dragged into it.

So far, LCD has proven one thing: It's just a score display. DMD games aren't dated because what's on the playfields is still far more advanced and impressive than anything so far in the "LCD era".

#316 6 years ago

I posted these in another thread as an example of lumpy cratering. This is a TWD LE on route - so - if lots of play smooths dimples, this game should be super smooth, right? Nah, it looks like lumpy clay. And before anyone says it's a lighting trick, I've played lots of different TWDs on location & most have nice smooth glassy surfaces. So - I'm not saying this happens to all games....but it does to some, and when it does, don't tell people it's "normal", because it's not.

IMG_0191.JPGIMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPGIMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPGIMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPGIMG_0192.JPG

#318 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Wood is a living organism; how much of this is variation that’s natural in wood and hardness from board to board?

That's probably it, but they should have figured out by now which suppliers or which types of wood lead to mushy playfields vs. awesome playfields....and only use the good stuff.

#325 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

I'm thinking more like: what does it matter?
    If it affects ball travel, then it matters to me.
    If it means that the clear is going to start chipping, then it matters to me.
    If it just means that you'll see some dimples at a certain angle, with the proper lighting, then it doesn't matter to me.
    Unless there's more to it that I don't know about?
    I'm assuming that this is caused by thicker clear coat.

Of course it matters....we know the same game within the same run can have awesome or shit playfields...after spending $5000-$8000, don't you think you deserve the awesome one? My first NIB Stern, a *CLEARANCE* Wheel of Fortune for $2400, had the most perfect glassy playfield I'd ever seen, and didn't dimple/crater at all. So, knowing that it's possible to have a good one, OF COURSE it matters and you should want the good one!

I remember playing my friend's clay-cratered STLE and you could "feel" it...you could feel the ball rolling on the lumps. It absolutely affects gameplay when it's that bad. Again, this isn't "look at it in a certain light and you can see it" stuff...all of my "good" games, yes - you can see the dimples if you turn on the ceiling lights and look at certain angles...but they look glassy and smooth under normal conditions...maybe visible dimple here or there...but not these massive pock-mark type ones. There is a difference.

#330 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

WOF doesn't airball that much. ST does. The more airballs, the faster it will dimple and faster it will even itself out.

You always conveniently ignore the facts and evidence presented.

Once again I speak to the brick wall:

NORMAL DIMPLES even out!!!!
    CRATERED LUMPS DO NOT!!!!!!

These are two different issues. Lumps NEVER even out EVER.

#333 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you ignore the fact that every B/W is dimpled to living shit. Every single one that has come through my doors doesn't look any different than anything else. Give it 20 years, and see if you still bitch.

You did it again.

Dimples are dimples.
    Craters are craters.

Different issues. Stop LUMPING them together.

#356 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

there is no such thing as crater to begin with. Made up pinside shit. Big dimples and little dimples is what it comes down to. A big dimple is the same fawking thing as a little dimple. If a playfield allows bigger dimples for whatever reason. The effects will be the same. Instead of a million little dimples eventually evening out the playfield, you have a million big dimples eventually evening out the playfield. Eventually it will be hammer flat again. whether or not they are big or small.

You're wrong. Flat out wrong. You know nothing about playfields and no one should ever trust you with quality restorations when you're so ignorant of the very thing you claim to specialize in. Not sure why it's taken a decade to do this, but it's time to throw you on my ignore list with the other useless voices who contribute nothing of value to the hobby. Farewell forever, Neo!

1 week later
    #557 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

I like stern a lot, Best pin next to Bally/Williams /
    Soon they will give us Sharpies with colors in game so if any touchups or tears in decals you may now handle them with ease . Easy fix but the 6 dollars of sharpies per pin may inflate the price another 100 per pin NIB for the extra markers

Actually they used to use Sharpies for touchups in the past. A friend of mine got a Tron LE with Sharpie touchup on the playfield...he had a fit! My friend's 2007 Spider-Man had some Sharpie touchups on the cabinet.

#587 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Do not want to add things, knowing that people here talk about technic and quality, but I am really fed up tonight with my ACDC. My favorite games are sys 11, here with the ACDC the ball goes to the outhole as quickly as I write quickl... impossible to build a game strategy, the ball goes out by the outlanes or in the middle so easily, I hate that. 2 month after purchase, it is on sale. WTF what is that kind of pinball machines they are selling now ????

Tighten your outlanes, problem solved.

#591 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi, I did it from hard to medium, it was a nightmare to do it without removing the ramps. Plse do not worry, I must be damned, I have never seen a ball going out that fast, what is the point ? The same music track starts and starts again, no way. Prefer to loose money than hating ACDC

I've had AC/DC since it came out and have never had that experience. Weird.

#598 6 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

The cannon prevents you to see the ball in the right side and so how to nudge the machine.

I've never had this problem. You see the ball coming, you know it's physics and trajectory, and can nudge & save it on the right.

The "X blocks my view" phenomenon is interesting. There are some pinball players who can't track the ball unless it's 100% in sight...the people who say the hammer on Metallica blocks their view, for example. I've never felt like it blocked my view...I know where the ball is during that half a second that it's behind something and know where it's going to be momentarily.

#600 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thank you. You just explained why I love my GOT LE...that whole "upper playfield blocks my view so I went with the pro" argument is ridiculous. It's not like you have to do anything with it when it's hidden under there.

Is that a complaint about GOTLE? I thought the main complaint was one of the orbits not working, the upper playfield slowing down flow, or the upper playfield just being lame.

#602 6 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I am not the first to complain about this. So I guess I am not completely wrong. And no You can't see the ball coming unless you significantly move.

I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm just saying that it's interesting how people have different experiences. For me, the cannon isn't that big, I can always see the ball coming, and for that millisecond that it's obstructed, I can "feel" the ball...I can tell where it is based on where it came from and from the ball's physics.

Same thing with glass reflection. Some people are so annoyed by it that they insist on buying non-reflective glass. Glass reflection rarely bothers me at all...my eyes can focus past the glass and onto the playfield. Some people can't do that, apparently.

3 weeks later
    #796 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

A new in box is a lot of money and you want to make sure you make the right decision, but don't let some Quality control issues keep you from buying GB.

Yes, the fact that it's the worst game ever made in the history of humanity should be enough to keep you away...but the falling-apart aspect and incomplete code is just the icing on the chocolate cake....oh wait, that's not chocolate!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.