Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintechev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

You can't be serious with this mode of thinking. Well if that was the case wouldn't you be able to see the difference when the playfield was stripped while shopping it out?
    Because it looks like one solid sheet even when removing the slingshots. With no deviation in the playfield. And wouldn't the spots where the ball drops from the wireforms be dimpled? Or worse?
    The only spots that have a bit of wear are where the spikes shoot up. And the kick out hole and the magnets.
    But they are still in far better condition than my IMVE, GB and Met magnets and playfield that had roughly 700 plays on them. When I got rid of them.
    And how can infront of sparky on met. Look like the moon. But the trolls on MMR with more than twice as many plays on it not have a dent?

Metal is harder than wood. We’ve been over this many times over the years.

#189 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

True. But why it it so much more evident on Stern pins built in the last few years?

It’s not. My MMR dimples. My TOTAN doesn’t dimple much now because it was played a ton and flattened out and then clearcoated over an already compressed PF. My AFMr is dumpling. My Stern Star Trek dimpled and now looks level since it has been played so much.

Metal is harder than wood.

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Don't believe that hype...the wood is softer now.

Evidence to backup that claim? Not trying to be contentious, but I’d love to know what sources of truth exist out there now.

Marc

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Some games dimple. Some games crater. There's a difference. Cratered games will never smooth out. They'll always look like lumpy clay. Stern games have been inconsistent in this way since around Star Trek. My friend's LE looked like absolute mush, mine has some dimples but was overall glassy and smooth.
    So please, when people complain about dimples, don't treat them like they're newbs and don't get it. There are different levels of dimpling. Acceptable metal/wood, and craters. Craters never even out or look good down the road.

Fair and balanced feedback. There is a lot of conflation between the terms and most people just say dimpling of any kind is dimpling, etc. and then there are folks who say that their games don’t ever dimple. In any case, thanks for your rely.

I’ll keep an eye out for cratering on the SW I’ll be setting up for a friend this week.

Marc

#317 6 years ago

Wood is a living organism; how much of this is variation that’s natural in wood and hardness from board to board?

#383 6 years ago

This is definitely an interesting thread. I find it fascinating that as a general comment about the current human condition that there are lots of folks making everything up from the sidelines without any science (full disclosure, I am one of those people who doesn’t know much about wood and playfields), but we do have an experienced restorer who’s probably worked on more playfields than most of us combined and most folks are ignoring any evidence he brings to the thread.

It’s just fascinating.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintechev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified?tu=pintechev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.