Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#719 6 years ago
    Quoted from ExtremePinball:

See, that's the problem. My SW pro, the last time I checked it, had 9 ghosting inserts at 1,900 plays. But then I was at the PHoF this week and played Tim's SW pro. No ghosting inserts. And he got his a week or two before I got mine.
    So there is clearly still a risk in buying NIB Stern games. I think that justifies the current Stern bashing. But that's just my opinion after recently having 3 defective playfields with 6-9 ghosting inserts.
    So bash on.
    Disclaimer: I am not a collector. I am not looking for solutions or any suggestions regarding these games. They are only commercial workhorses to me. I've stated this explicitly in another thread..... I DON'T CARE. But others do. So I'm only providing facts based on my experience as an operator, and former collector, so that others can make an informed decision before laying out ever growing sums of money.

9 ghosted inserts? Sorry to hear that. My friend got a new one recently with 9 also. He got a new PF from Stern. Call Stern and ask for a new PF. Be nice and they will work with you.

#729 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's the game that gets played the most in my house. Added new speakers and a subwoofer and tweaked the cheap drains. It's really a great game and the impending code update will only make it better. Next time you're in Jersey...

You have AS?

#742 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

SAM
    And for those of you who aren't happy with the products that Stern is pumping out, I have just one piece of advice ...
    Stop buying their games!!!
    Seriously, this is the only way the situation will ever improve. I know so many guys that constantly complain about Stern's crappy code or lack of quality control, and yet these same people pre-order every LE. It's absolutely ridiculous!

You know so many folks who buy every LE, complain about them and then keep buying them? Like who?

#757 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Just pointing things out that's all. Again ST as the magnet to help the toy. The castle has the draw bridge and the moving towers and has the gully in front. I'm comparing them because boob's said they were the same, which they are not. I'm pointing out the differences in intricacies of each mech.
    Some people will like SW..hell I absolutely love TF....to each his own I guess but if you think Stern keep pulling shit like this for the next few titles... I would say no.
    Now, if Stern impresses me on their next game will I be in? Sure, if the gameplay, code depth and features are to my liking, they will get my hard earn money...about 10-12 months after release. If not...pass...it's that simple. I'm far from confused and make educated purchases based on what I like and the depth/progress of the game. As it stands now if JJP releases Toy Story (again personal choice, pending if it's awesome) or an epic title come this expo. Stern is in deep shit in my pocket book because my money will go to them.
    If someone loves SW, who am I to stop them from buying their dream theme. I just love the people that bitch about people bitching about SW (tongue twister) and then turn around and bitch about SW lack of features.... It's just completes the circle.
    BOM aside SW just looks like the biggest Stern cash grab of all times.

Well where do folks go then? How much are DI and TNA in Canada? Heck BW games are getting up there also. A lot of the folks that own and love BW games would have a tough time stomaching paying current prices to replace their collection. I bought T2, HS2 and WCS all for under $1800 and enjoyed them and thought they were great values. Add almost $1000 to all of them and the value tightens on them and it is not as easy for me to get out my wallet to pay prices of today for them.

Taking a step back from buying new games may be a good idea. Wait and buy HUO games that are complete is a great idea. I just don't think we can complain our way to lower prices and more features on games, but good god folks around here are trying.

#758 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Maybe 1.3x the game would be more accurate? I'd rather play TNA, for sure. Looks more funner-er, despite not having ramps.

How much is TNA delivered?

#762 6 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

If people watched how shitty star wars looked in video and STILL bought it.... thats on them. We shouldn't tell people what to buy and what not to buy. They have eyes of their own, too.

True. We are all adults and make our own decisions. It does seem folks here don't want others to buy Sterns so they will put better feature and better code into their games in the future. Not sure how that is how it works though. Thinking folks are idiots for buying anything is just douchey though.

Everyone I know who has SW digs it. I am not just saying that for resale value. Well one person I know may trade his out because it was to hard for him. Ha! I can't stop playing it though.

Really I just play pinball for fun with a bunch my friends. We don't complain about BOM or try to tell each other how much better this game is over that in a douchey way though and you know what? We have a blast! I hope folks have more fun in the real world then they seem to have on PS. Some folks on Pinside seem pretty miserable, but it may not be due to pinball. Who knows?

If folks don't feel SW is a good game you will see a lot of them up for sale. If the value is not there we will see $1000+ off out of the box instantly. Not many on the market yet. We will see.

#763 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Nowhere is an option. Keep what you have and be content. You are not required to always buy something

Yes I am pretty content. The way pinball is now I would recommend to anyone to wait a little to be sure you love a game before purchasing and try to buy keepers or semi keepers that will be in your gameroom for a long time.

#770 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Maybe 1.3x the game would be more accurate? I'd rather play TNA, for sure. Looks more funner-er, despite not having ramps.

At $6000 are you in on TNA?

#774 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

The original question was ...
    "Stern bashing justified ? "
    For me, the answer should be "Yes". Means that they have to move their a** to provide better innovative product and better quality.
    Beyond that, .... nothing

Why are you so angry about Stern products anyway? Did you get burned by them before?

#778 6 years ago
    Quoted from mesmashu:

Why do you care so much about people that care so much? Let people be passionate about pinball however they want. This forum should be a safe haven for anything/everything pinball. If negativity bothers you, stay away from these types of topics. But don't judge people because they feel negative about a product and are being passionate about it. You don't care... great. Other people do and it's ok for them to discuss it here.

Nope not an attack or anything like that. Just a simple question.

Also I am caring and interested when someone has an issue with something and I ask what happened and what is going on. Like I am not sure what someone means when they say they want "more Innovative product from Stern". The poster may have posted a problem before and I missed it.

I also feel more for folks who were directly effected by what they are negatively talking about. It could be 3 bad Playfields in a row from Stern or they don't even own a stern and have been into pinball for 30 years and don't like the way pinball is going. That is all ok. This is better than posting Stern sucks 20 times and walking away.

I care to man!

#781 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Eliot Spitzer was.

Hmm

Yeah Stern has its issues and seems to be slowly working on them, but who knows? Things are pretty tough all around though with TNA being $6000+ and JJP games costing $8000-$9000. The longer ago you got into pinball the less money you have into it to have the games you have and that is a good thing, but what about someone new? Well things will not be as good condition wise or quality wise and price is higher across the board to get into pinball, but there are still good values out there in and the fun is still off the charts.

I am not in this for money at all and am in it for fun. I have sold games to newbies at a low price and connected newer folks to other sellers to give them a hand at getting in the fun. A lot of them are my friends today. I help pinball veterans also. Make some connections with folks like myself and get into the game and if you are old or new to pinball expect to fully lose $1000 when you open that box containing the shiny new machine and you should be ok.

Just being positive and if Stern annoys you then don't buy their games or sit and wait to see how they play and buy one after code and quality are up to your level. Look around at other options also NiB or look back at older titles through the years. And have some fun with these awesome folks and pins!

#783 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

No dispute re: costs continuing to rise for new pinball owners, but I question the "condition wise" thing. I would guess that it's much harder to find beat up (and cheap) versions of pre-2000 games than it used to be, because so many of them have now been cleaned up, fixed up, or restored. So while the average TZ or IJ isn't selling for $2,500 anymore, it's also probably in significantly better shape than the average TZ or IJ you would have bought 20 years ago.

Hmm yeah I think I was trying to say pay more for worse condition - like "usual fade" is a normal term now that folks accept.

Yes games are getting fixed up for sure though and that does add to the future cost. I guess on the flip side not all the money put in will come back on the fix ups. I have friends who put new playfields in games fully knowing that they will not get their money back if they sell, but they love doing it and that is great.

#793 6 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Well, i was following Stern more closely when i was in the market for a GB Premium, and those were the most common problems i saw cropping up. I was totally sold on it until i started hearing about quality issues (and incomplete code) and decided to steer clear. As someone who will probably only ever buy one NIB game, i felt like i really dodged a bullet on that one. If their construction quality is improving, that's certainly a plus. Just seems too risky to me, where i feel a lot more comfortable plunking down about $6500 shipped for a TNA. Quality construction, complete code, awesome game. (Not for everyone, i realize! It seems to be somewhat polarizing in the community) Thankfully we're living in times where there are multiple manufacturers producing games!
    If there's that much evidence that puts all (or even most) of those concerns i listed to rest, then that's great for buyers, and great for pinball! As it stands, i think Stern bashing is justified because i believe we should expect more from these games as prices seem to continually rise. I interpret a lot of these quality control issues as products of doing things faster and cheaper. Maybe I'm wrong, but it fits in perfectly with the rest of the consumer electronics industry that I've experienced (I'm an appliance repair guy and i've seen the exact same cost-cutting measures being taken with appliances over the past 30+ years)...

A new in box is a lot of money and you want to make sure you make the right decision, but don't let some Quality control issues keep you from buying GB.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified?tu=pinnyheadhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.