Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#386 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

BTW does anyone even use NEO for PF restoration anymore? I used him twice and both times they were so bad I sold the PFs because I wouldn't want them in my game.

Yikes. No personal experience, but Neo's work looks good over here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-playfield-restoration-step-by-step-walk-through

#416 6 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

i was in for SW, not sure now, Qc, ghosting...
    Don't get me wrong, the game seems to be super fast and smooth, with the promise of an amazing code (if it ever get fully done).
    What pisses me off; this is the theme of a lifetime, the greatest license outhere and this is what they come up with, really?
    this is got to be the most stripped down pinball ever. the LE/premium looks like a pro and the pro looks like a sizzle (you know what i mean). 2 years for this, c'mon!
    If the license cost more, instead of making the buyers pay by increasing the price (again) and stripping as much as possible (like always) why not take the hit stern? for once give back to your loyal customers.
    Make an amazing game fully loaded, premium/le that is actually worth the extra money and make this icon (star wars) exactly what it deserves.
    they'll get amazing reviews, sale more games (how many have backed out) in the long run, make more money on quantities and go down in history as the greatest pinball theme ever. it amazed me that the marketing don't get this......
    Missed opportunity, greed seems to be the way to go at stern and the investors (who had no idea what a pinball was). it will bite them in the ass. wake up stern!
    As long as people (who's got to have the latest toy in town) with more money than common sense keep buying nothing will change (because stern is selling), price will go up on every new game, QC won't change and stripping will go on and on.
    competition is great and that's why i'm looking more and more at them, man that houdini is looking better and better.
    rant off (well, maybe not).

Have you tried playing it yet? It's fun. Doesn't mean you'll want to own one, of course, but drop in a Loonie and try it out if you see one on route (if it's like the States, should be plenty of them out there).

1 week later
    #548 6 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

what is the period warranty for a printing error on a cabinet decal?

Stern's written warranty does not cover cabinet decals. Or the playfield. At all. In practice, Stern covers many more things, including ghosting playfield inserts, defective/peeling decals, etc. The written warranty is really quite limited, take a look and you'll be amazed given the amount of warranty-type service Stern actually provides for its machines.

I don't think Stern has ever publicized its "limits" (time, number of previous owners, number of issues reported on single machine, etc.) for offering customer support that falls outside of the written warranty. It would be surprising if they did, since they seem to want to maintain a "case by case" standard and that's harder to do once you make promises in writing.

So as with any issue with decals/playfield/etc., you should contact your distributor and ask if Stern's willing to do something. Even years after purchase people seem to have had good luck getting covered for things like board issues. Probably less so for "cosmetic" issues like decals and playfield defects, but you won't know until you ask.

Good luck! Worst case do what Neo says and buy yourself a colored marker. It won't look quite as nice but will save you the trouble of re-decaling your cabinet.

#553 6 years ago

How can a distributor buy some pinball machine in stock without taking risk to be past warranty? Or period starts with the first buyer?

The written warranty says "Warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from [Stern] to its authorized distributors." Doesn't matter in your case, of course, because the written warranty does not cover decals, playfield, or anything other than "printed circuit boards" and "dot matrix display boards." But again, in practice Stern covers these items for longer than the warranty states, and covers a bunch of other things as well ...

Effectively stern warranty seems to be nebulous.

Bingo! Their written warranty is still what you'd give if all of your customers were commercial operators routing machines. Since that's no longer the case, Stern provides much more warranty service than is written on the page. But as you say, it is "nebulous."

And there is no way to buy this side of cabinet decal either, just a colored marker seems to be the only way.

If Stern still has the decals in stock (and they probably do for a game that new), I'd bet they would sell you one even if you cannot get your distributor to get you one for free.

How does work with other manufacturer? Is there period warranty?

Here's a link with the JJP and CGC (AFMr) written warranties, take a look and see what you think:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-60-day-warranty-lets-talk-warranties/page/2#post-3938048
    To summarize, they're somewhat more generous than Stern's written warranty but still not nearly as generous as Stern's actual practice in providing warranty coverage (I gather JJP, like Stern, has also sometimes provided service outside of the written warranty period, don't know about CGC).

#580 6 years ago

Chas (stern) told me it will be replaced if the game is still under warranty. Then I gave him serial number, date of manufacture (august 2016)got it nib since 4 months....and finally the game is past warranty! Effectively if the warranty starts since date of manufacture...

Did you try contacting your distributor? 100% of the reports are that that is what you should do, instead of contacting Stern directly. Your distributor has influence with Stern that you as an individual buyer do not.

Go to your distributor now, I'd bet they can get your decal for you.

#582 6 years ago

This is in progress.
    Thanks for all the information and the attention.

Good luck! I hope they get you fixed up.

1 week later
    #690 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

can someone explain to me why the US prices of these machines fall in second hand, and the williams/bally prices rise or at least are steady ?
    I have the explanation

After adjusting for inflation, what percentage of B/W games sell for more than their original price today? 2%?

As to those 2% though, the answer clearly must be "theme integration." Which I guess is this week's "world under glass."

1 week later
    #782 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Well things will not be as good condition wise or quality wise and price is higher across the board to get into pinball, but there are still good values out there in and the fun is still off the charts.

No dispute re: costs continuing to rise for new pinball owners, but I question the "condition wise" thing. I would guess that it's much harder to find beat up (and cheap) versions of pre-2000 games than it used to be, because so many of them have now been cleaned up, fixed up, or restored. So while the average TZ or IJ isn't selling for $2,500 anymore, it's also probably in significantly better shape than the average TZ or IJ you would have bought 20 years ago.

#790 6 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Playfields are commonly exhibiting ghosting and clearcoat issues ....
    Incomplete code upon release is standard now, and code updates are not on any regular time table either.

Insert ghosting is an ongoing and significant problem that Stern needs to figure out. It's not clear what percentage of games its happening on, but it pisses off customers and must cost Stern plenty to do populated playfield swaps. Likewise, incomplete code support cannot be helping their business any.

Quoted from frunch:

Cabinet quality is definitely not what it used to be

Was there something beside the concerns about seam splitting/cracking? That was super lame, but with SW Stern is now reinforcing the hell out of the cabinet corners so that particular issue shouldn't be repeated.

Quoted from frunch:

Decals peeling has apparently been a new trend over the past few years as well (Stern apparently acknowledges that problem and will send replacement decals)

The decal peeling was also very lame, but is that still being reported? I guess I wrote that off as growing pains when they switched to the new facility and new manufacturing processes, but if it's still happening that's not cool.

#792 6 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

As it stands, i think Stern bashing is justified because i believe we should expect more from these games as prices seem to continually rise. I interpret a lot of these quality control issues as products of doing things faster and cheaper.

Yeah, I'm not trying to convince you to buy a NIB Stern (or any NIB game, for that matter). It's much more reasonable to wait a few months, see how the games are actually doing in the wild, and then pick up a HUO at a slight discount that you can actually look at and play before buying, regardless of the manufacturer. Of course if we were reasonable, none of us would be buying pinball machines in the first place!

I was just curious if those particular issues (cabinet and decals) were really still going on. The insert ghosting and lack of code support are still pretty glaring black eyes for Stern.

#805 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Steve does copy himself a lot. There is no denying it when you have side by side comparisons. George does it too. I can't believe how similar TF and LOTR are. Except there you have to flip one over before laying it on top of the layout. Stern plays it safe by sticking with the same shit over and over. So if you have all New Sterns in your collection, you pretty much have a collection of the same 3 or 4 games. If you want variety, you have to expand out to different eras, different manufacturers. Or you have the same old shit.

I hear Street Fighter II has a novel layout. Worth a look?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.