Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg
    There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Stern just sells THOUSANDS of more pins than everybody else

Thousands of lessor quality games, your right.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How much value do people give to "mods" when you go to sell a game? Exactly....Nobody gives a shit except the seller

Some mods add value. PDI glass. Color DMD. Eli ramp mode on Tron. Some toppers. Etc.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Thousands of lessor quality games, your right.

Sorry but you can't justify a $9k pin purchase based on quality. I get the effort though

#54 6 years ago

You cant, I can.

#55 6 years ago

All really great points so far.

My main questions are does anyone know if aluminium CEM circuit boards will last as long as Fr4? As in will traces lift/fail faster due to heat as they are aluminum instead of copper.
    I have found online that they are cheaper to manufacture than the old green circuit boards.

And is stern using the same gauge materials in their metal parts?
    From what I have seen so far it looks as if they are using thinner gauge. But I'm not 100% sure.
    Does anyone know or have a new Stern and and older one to compare?

What type of wood are they using for the playfields and cabinets. It seems much softer and cheaper. Perhaps thinner as well.
    As well as the clearcoating. I understand environment laws have changed but is it now thinner as well?

If this is the case I honestly believe that they are producing machines that are not meant for operating.
    As it seems they are not built to take the abuse of a frequently played location machine.

I'm ok with that. If it is basically now considered a residental machine. But I'm not ok with paying more now for a machine built for home use. Than something that was built for commercial use.

If this is now the case. I relate it to buying a stainless steel commercial dishwasher for $7000. And having to pay the same for a plastic and metal residential one.

They do the same job but the commercial one is built to take abuse under constant use.
    If you used the residential one for the same job it would not last.

Screenshot_20170902-174533 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170902-174533 (resized).png

Screenshot_20170902-181607 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170902-181607 (resized).png

Screenshot_20170902-181708 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170902-181708 (resized).png

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Some mods add value. PDI glass. Color DMD. Eli ramp mode on Tron. Some toppers. Etc.

I agree with that. Hopefully a zero sum game

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

You cant, I can.

Whatever floats your boat. Our Woz and your TH prove my point.

See how much value you have now post Nib

"Well I'm planning on keeping them forever"

That's great and I'd like to see somebody ever wear out any pin in a HUO environment.

The guy that works on my pins has been in coin op since the 70's and thinks all the new stuff is shit and certainly not made for routing

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm gonna point out the other side of the coin too.
    Why don't more distros sell JJP pins?
    Because anytime JJP wants to raise cash all they have to do is undercut their own on a direct sale.
    They have done it before. At the same time requiring big purchase commitments
    If you think there isn't a raft of BS that JJP deals with too on a per capita basis then you ain't paying attention
    Point is you can bash Stern all day long. The rest of em deal with the same shit

Of course there are two sides. I get that but Stern really has some glaring issues. As does JJP. The difference I see is JJP wants to figure them out. Stern doesn't seem to give a shit. Whether they do or not is almost irrelevant. It's how the consumer feels that matters and you can't tell me consumers aren't getting fed up.

Stern does some things well. They seem to know how to work the licensing angles. That is important for sure. If they can work the value and quality issues out I'd be ecstatic.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

I was thinking today...
    What do you get today for your money with a new Stern compared to years ago?
    I was hoping to get some feedback or start to do comparisons of actual hardware etc.
    We all know about the head latch, Lockbar, and head being changed. And service rails.
    And decaled cabinets.
    And lack of finished code on initial release, but mainly much deeper when finished.
    LCD vs DMD
    3 model price point.
    Less circuit boards inside.
    But I was wondering if....
    Eg.
    Are the metal pieces the same thickness and material?
    What is different about the clearcoat?
    Are the cabinets built the same way/ materials?
    Are the new aluminum foiled CEM circuit boards the same quality? And will they last?
    Are the legs, coindoor and other hardware the same quality?
    Because after talking to a local operator. He thinks all models of Stern machines are no longer arcade quality.
    They are all now built solely for the home collection market.
    And that's why in his mind, the price has increased but the quality has dropped.
    "You are basically buying a high priced toy instead of arcade equipment."
    And I sort of feel the same way.
    But would love to hear some facts that will hopefully change that.
    I was hoping that knowledgable pinsiders could get together and actually compare just how many improvements and/or how much cost cutting has been done. I'm sure there are some mechanical and electrical engineers here. That can shed some light on this.
    I do appreciate Stern keeping pinball alive.
    But with all the posts on pinside about Stern quality.
    It seems like lately they are almost equal to chinese knockoffs. Compared to how they used to be built. Rather than long-term use industrial amusement equipment.
    I am all for pinball turning a profit. But when it seems like it is seriously effecting the quality that concerns me.
    Please. I mean no distrespect to stern its machine owners or fans. I am just looking for a rational discussion and hope to find actual facts.
    And if I'm out of line here, tell me.

Hogwash. Name another brand one can operate today whose pins are more reliable than Sterns. You can't.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Of course there are two sides. I get that but Stern really has some glaring issues. As does JJP. The difference I see is JJP wants to figure them out. Stern doesn't seem to give a shit. Whether they do or not is almost irrelevant. It's how the consumer feels that matters and you can't tell me consumers aren't getting fed up.
    Stern does some things well. They seem to know how to work the licensing angles. That is important for sure. If they can work the value and quality issues at I'd be ecstatic.

Totally agree. More and more customers are getting pissed. Myself included, but due to code and lack of communication.

Sterns wounds are self inflicted. If Zach doesn't change things dramatically from a marketing and communications standpoint then I'll agree, they don't give a shit.

Let's see what happens. All I'm saying is Stern isn't the devil and still seem to be growing sales due to great titles.

That tide can turn on a dime. I dropped my SWLE order and someone else scooped it right up

For all of the complaining they are selling a shit ton of pins

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm gonna point out the other side of the coin too.
    Because anytime JJP wants to raise cash all they have to do is undercut their own on a direct sale.
    They have done it before. At the same time requiring big purchase commitments
    If you think there isn't a raft of BS that JJP deals with too on a per capita basis then you ain't paying attention
    Point is you can bash Stern all day long. The rest of em deal with the same shit

Yawn..... as usual you have to comment on everything JJP no matter the topic.

Sterns got years on everyone else so they can make more games per day - well no shit. Too bad they aren’t years ahead in terms of craftsmanship and value or we wouldn’t have this thread.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hogwash. Name another brand one can operate today whose pins are more reliable than Sterns. You can't.

I'm not saying they don't work. I'm wondering if the materials they are using are the same quality. So 20-30 years from now will a routed machine still look decent and not be falling apart at the seams. Under normal conditions.
    I'm asking are they built to last in a constant use commercial environment?

If not the price should reflect that.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Yawn..... as usual you have to comment on everything JJP no matter the topic.
    Sterns got years on everyone else so they can make more games per day - well no shit. Too bad they aren’t years ahead in terms of craftsmanship and value or we wouldn’t have this thread.

No need to get butt hurt. I don't know why the JJP sycophants can't get both sides

Well that's why I guess. I used to be that guy

I like to have a real discussion. Not a one sided one. As opposed to starting a bash JJP thread

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

If this is the case I honestly believe that they are producing machines that are not meant for operating.
    As it seems they are not built to take the abuse of a frequently played location machine.
    I'm ok with that. If it is basically now considered a residental machine. But I'm not ok with paying more now for a machine built for home use. Than something that was built for commercial use.

Haha. Spoken like someone who doesn't operate.

#65 6 years ago

JJP - I just did

#66 6 years ago

Oh, you mean the ones that lock up after hours of use and need resets? A known issue that isn't getting fixed? Those games?

#67 6 years ago

Lets have Fremont and Smoke weigh in. They both Op

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Haha. Spoken like someone who doesn't operate.

Your right I don't have machines on location. But myself and some friends are considering getting together and possibly doing it. As actually finding a place to play other than someone's home around here are few and far between. And hearing my local operator say they are not built to operate anymore makes me rethink purchasing any new Stern pins or using existing ones to put on location.
    As he has stopped buying them for that reason.
    I was hoping to get some insight on what engineering changes have been made to actually make this statement true. Rather than just cheaper to make.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Totally agree. More and more customers are getting pissed. Myself included, but due to code and lack of communication.
    Sterns wounds are self inflicted. If Zach doesn't change things dramatically from a marketing and communications standpoint then I'll agree, they don't give a shit.
    Let's see what happens. All I'm saying is Stern isn't the devil and still seem to be growing sales due to great titles.
    That tide can turn on a dime. I dropped my SWLE order and someone else scooped it right up
    For all of the complaining they are selling a shit ton of pins

Valid. I'm hoping they right the ship with Iron Maiden. What I don't understand is why not keep the pro line as your lower end. When you get into the premium and LE models why not also increase build quality as well as add toys etc.? Then everyone is happy. This isn't that hard to do either. Happy customers mean more sales. I know they can do it.

Flip side is if JJP figures out how to get into that $5k range and can get some good licenses Stern could be in for a fight.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Valid. I'm hoping they right the ship with Iron Maiden. What I don't understand is why not keep the pro line as your lower end. When you get into the premium and LE models why not also increase build quality as well as add toys etc.? Then everyone is happy. This isn't that hard to do either. Happy customers mean more sales. I know they can do it.
    Flip side is if JJP figures out how to get into that $5k range and can get some good licenses Stern could be in for a fight.

I think/hope they have learned their lesson.

1000% the premium/LE needs to have a lot more meat on the bones. I bet GOTG will be different. If not, more people will be pissed even though a great theme

Just because Stern has dropped the ball in some areas doesn't mean they can't and won't pick it back up

I would imagine it takes a long time to ramp up to make 50 pins a day with employee knowledge and experience but JJP will get there eventually

Competition is a great thing

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

And hearing my local operator say they are not built to operate anymore makes me rethink purchasing any new Stern pins or using existing ones to put on location.
    As he has stopped buying them for that reason.
    I was hoping to get some insight on what engineering changes have been made to actually make this statement true. Rather than just cheaper to make.

Did you ever think that statement wasn't true?

#72 6 years ago

JJP put out a real winner with dialed in. It's a masterpiece.

It's also $8000 and it took 4 years to make.

Dutch, spooky, and whoever else aren't in the conversation. They are expensive novelties. And a total joke if you are talking about putting a route together.

Reality is a harsh party crasher in these stern Bitch threads.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

JJP put out a real winner with dialed in. It's a masterpiece.
    It's also $8000 and it took 4 years to make.
    Dutch, spooky, and whoever else aren't in the conversation. They are expensive novelties. And a total joke if you are talking about putting a route together.
    Reality is a harsh party crasher in these stern Bitch threads.

Absolutely right which is why I only mentioned JPP. A game as good as "Dialed In" as a theme...imagine if it were Star Wars? Or any relevant theme? People would be losing their fucking minds trying to get one. Stern would be shitting themselves.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Absolutely right which is why I only mentioned JPP. A game as good as "Dialed In" as a theme...imagine if it were Star Wars? Or any relevant theme? People would be losing their fucking minds trying to get one. Stern would be shitting themselves.

Dialed in would be really stupid as Star Wars. Ifs great as dialed in.

Who has time to sit around dreaming if dialed in had a Death Star in it? What's the point?

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

I was thinking today...
    What do you get today for your money with a new Stern compared to years ago?
    I was hoping to get some feedback or start to do comparisons of actual hardware etc.
    We all know about the head latch, Lockbar, and head being changed. And service rails.
    And decaled cabinets.
    And lack of finished code on initial release, but mainly much deeper when finished.
    LCD vs DMD
    3 model price point.
    Less circuit boards inside.
    But I was wondering if....
    Eg.
    Are the metal pieces the same thickness and material?
    What is different about the clearcoat?
    Are the cabinets built the same way/ materials?
    Are the new aluminum foiled CEM circuit boards the same quality? And will they last?
    Are the legs, coindoor and other hardware the same quality?
    Because after talking to a local operator. He thinks all models of Stern machines are no longer arcade quality.
    They are all now built solely for the home collection market.
    And that's why in his mind, the price has increased but the quality has dropped.
    "You are basically buying a high priced toy instead of arcade equipment."
    And I sort of feel the same way.
    But would love to hear some facts that will hopefully change that.
    I was hoping that knowledgable pinsiders could get together and actually compare just how many improvements and/or how much cost cutting has been done. I'm sure there are some mechanical and electrical engineers here. That can shed some light on this.
    I do appreciate Stern keeping pinball alive.
    But with all the posts on pinside about Stern quality.
    It seems like lately they are almost equal to chinese knockoffs. Compared to how they used to be built. Rather than long-term use industrial amusement equipment.
    I am all for pinball turning a profit. But when it seems like it is seriously effecting the quality that concerns me.
    Please. I mean no distrespect to stern its machine owners or fans. I am just looking for a rational discussion and hope to find actual facts.
    And if I'm out of line here, tell me.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems like you are illustrating and shedding light on an oversight perpetuated by the pinball community.

I'm not a "pinhead," but rather a casual player who owns one cheap machine and likes to read the forums to pass time at work (among other forums and YouTube channels).

That said, one thing I see more frequently than anything else regarding Stern versus other current companies is the affordable pricing of Stern. The gameplay experience, lights, rules, toys, themes, etc. are compared to that of other companies, such as JJP, Spooky, etc., and are deemed comparable. The price difference, however is significantly in favor of Stern for comparable game experiences.

However, this is a fallacy. Specifically, this is an apples and oranges fallacy. The previous paragraph's argument exists only when not including quality of materials and quality of manufacturing. You can say, "the game experiences of Stern are comparable to those of JJP, Spooky, etc., for a significantly lower cost," because the game experience is being considered in relation to the pricing, not the game itself in entirety. What you cannot say is, "the games of Stern are comparable to those of JJP, Spooky, etc., for a significantly lower cost," because it is a false statement which ignores quality.

From the best that I can tell, it appears that Stern is mass-producing lemons, undercutting the price of competitors, stating the price undercutting is due to the mass-production process, while hoping that no one has the wherewithal to realize that the price undercutting is primarily due to selling lemons and not primarily due to cost-savings due to the mass-manufacturing process.

In essence, this is like people shopping at WalMart and Ikea for Ashley Furniture knockoffs, without the realization that the reason for the cheap products at WalMart and Ikea is just that: They're cheap. They're cheap pieces of junk that don't work well and last like 6 months.

Now, I buy WalMart and Ikea furniture. In fact, my game room is WalMart furniture. However, I bought that furniture in full realization that I was buying a piece of junk until I could afford quality furniture.

You have to be cognizant of what you're buying in all aspects and why.

The common misconception that Stern is the way it is, because of mass-production needs to stop. Mass-production only accounts for a small amount of the price variations amongst pinball companies. Quality is where its at.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

In essence, this is like people shopping at WalMart and Ikea for Ashley Furniture knockoffs, without the realization that the reason for the cheap products at WalMart and Ikea is just that: They're cheap. They're cheap pieces of junk that don't work well and last like 6 months.
    Now, I buy WalMart and Ikea furniture. In fact, my game room is WalMart furniture. However, I bought that furniture in full realization that I was buying a piece of junk until I could afford quality furniture.

Ashley furniture is also cheap garbage, it's just designed to last 12 months instead of 6.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I don't think the really "made" that choice, it just happened when Ops started dropping Pins and the home customer started buying new instead of used.

The year was 2007.
    The change was not a pure acknowledgement or coincidence.
    It was a deliberate decision by the Stern investment council based on the direction of the company, but continued to be disagreed for an additional two years.
    It is was also evidenced by obervations by operators and discussions of the period.
    Eventually arguments ceased, and decisions removed from the certain company individuals hands permanently.

Collectors have been buying new games for home use since the 1960s, especially Gottlieb. Used games jumped after the end of the EM era. The number jumped significantly first time for SS in the 1980s due to poor operator sales in the mid period, and again in the 1990s after release of the WPC operating system, and yet again prior to crash of 1999 due to game closeouts. Used games peaked at 2005 at the end of the reimport era and the new game market suffered again in 2006. There is a lot of pinball manufacturing history including active subterfuge against revival companies that brought us to the point of today. No company is purely innocent.

#78 6 years ago

There's a great story behind why. You should ask Gary himself the conversation he had with Stern disties when JJP was formed

Quoted from iceman44:

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

There's a great story behind why. You should ask Gary himself the conversation he had with Stern disties when JJP was formed

I've asked a few that don't why not.

And I know one that does and how he got F Ed in TH debacle

I don't consider Jack or Gary as pillars of truth

Some people have blinders on

#80 6 years ago

LOL. Thanks for the laugh. That's a good one.

#82 6 years ago

Do you think you will be able to fix that node board that only applies to one machine in 20 years?
    How long has spike been in production and how many boards have you heard of being repaired instead of replaced?
    On average how many node boards are in a new stern?

I would put any of my early ss reconditioned 37~38 year old Williams up against a new stern right now. They didn't get that old by luck.

There are a lot of em's that would beat them both.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems like you are illustrating and shedding light on an oversight perpetuated by the pinball community.
    I'm not a "pinhead," but rather a casual player who owns one cheap machine and likes to read the forums to pass time at work (among other forums and YouTube channels).
    That said, one thing I see more frequently than anything else regarding Stern versus other current companies is the affordable pricing of Stern. The gameplay experience, lights, rules, toys, themes, etc. are compared to that of other companies, such as JJP, Spooky, etc., and are deemed comparable. The price difference, however is significantly in favor of Stern for comparable game experiences.
    However, this is a fallacy. Specifically, this is an apples and oranges fallacy. The previous paragraph's argument exists only when not including quality of materials and quality of manufacturing. You can say, "the game experiences of Stern are comparable to those of JJP, Spooky, etc., for a significantly lower cost," because the game experience is being considered in relation to the pricing, not the game itself in entirety. What you cannot say is, "the games of Stern are comparable to those of JJP, Spooky, etc., for a significantly lower cost," because it is a false statement which ignores quality.
    From the best that I can tell, it appears that Stern is mass-producing lemons, undercutting the price of competitors, stating the price undercutting is due to the mass-production process, while hoping that no one has the wherewithal to realize that the price undercutting is primarily due to selling lemons and not primarily due to cost-savings due to the mass-manufacturing process.
    You have to be cognizant of what you're buying in all aspects and why.
    The common misconception that Stern is the way it is, because of mass-production needs to stop. Mass-production only accounts for a small amount of the price variations amongst pinball companies. Quality is where its at.

I used to think that about Ikea before I knew better. Some of their stuff, perhaps not all, is actually very nice.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Ashley furniture is also cheap garbage, it's just designed to last 12 months instead of 6.

That's not a valid counter-argument.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Do you think you will be able to fix that node board that only applies to one machine in 20 years?
    How long has spike been in production and how many boards have you heard of being repaired instead of replaced?
    On average how many node boards are in a new stern?
    I would put any of my early ss reconditioned 37~38 year old Williams up against a new stern right now. They didn't get that old by luck.
    There are a lot of em's that would beat them both.

In 20 years who knows. Thought we were talking about the present. Sterns are by far the most reliable pins at present. My Aerosmith Pro is on location right next to my early Williams SS. Guess which one I have to come in to fix again?

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

That's not a valid counter-argument.

wasn't trying to argue. Just wanted to make sure that when you do upgrade your furniture you don't buy that garbage.

#87 6 years ago

Here's how I see Stern: a company that exists to pump out product. They have X games a year to make, 3+ depending on how you count, and they get it done. That's no small thing, when was Alien announced? Who has one now? Who's got a finished one? I know as well as anyone how hard it is, and Stern should be lauded for what they accomplish that other companies struggle to do. It ain't easy. Credit where credit is due.

Ask a Stern employee and they'll tell you they wish they were making games like the Williams/Bally days, but aren't given the time and resources to do it. Programming time for a Stern game is half what it used to be, and people expect more complexity. It's no wonder they ship unfinished.

You kinda get what you get with that model. Look at my collection, I've downsized and half of them are Sterns, I don't have any hate for them. But I sold Star Trek after getting bored, and nothing since Metallica has grabbed me. 3 games a year is great, but if you only think one every few years if worth buying then eh ... if you're an op though, Stern is the place to be. I have zero intent to buy boring layout Star Wars. If I was an op I'd sure as shit be routing one though.

I'd say bash Stern less, and buy games less often. This forum is full of whining, and it's also full of people pre-ordering games sight unseen, because they like the license. I still remember when licenses meant your game was lame as f—k, and not something to celebrate.

Skip the next Stern, buy TNA, support unlicensed games that aren't $9000, and pinball will be better for it.

#88 6 years ago

Why don't Stern distributors sell JJP pins?
    From what I heard when Jack was pushing WOZ was that Gary would not allow anyone who sold JJP pins to sell Sterns. He refused to sell to them.

Correct or not?

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I've asked a few that don't why not.
    And I know one that does and how he got F Ed in TH debacle
    I don't consider Jack or Gary as pillars of truth
    Some people have blinders on

Stern has been pretty clear in the past that they don't like for there vendors to carry other games. Some of the biggest get away with doing whatever they want since they buy so many games. That's why you see so many jjp distros that carry cgc and other non stern pins.

Seems like stern might finally be letting this go a little though as flipnout just became a stern distro.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Why don't Stern distributors sell JJP pins?
    From what I heard when Jack was pushing WOZ was that Gary would not allow anyone who sold JJP pins to sell Sterns. He refused to sell to them.
    Correct or not?

Well that would be stupid on his part and if Jack likes anything he loves a sale no matter where it comes from.

Why would a distro commit to six figure purchases when I could walk into JJP with $10k in cash and walk out with a DICE

Not that I would, just sayin

#91 6 years ago

I used to think that about Ikea before I knew better. Some of their stuff, perhaps not all, is actually very nice.

Oh, I'll buy them, of course. They look nice enough.

However, I'm not going to plan to replace Ikea furniture with Ikea furniture when it wears out.

Case in point: I have a bedframe composed of composite wood. If I decide to upgrade my bedroom set, I am not going to choose a nicer and more fancy looking composite wood bed frame; I am going to choose a solid oak bed frame.

The best I can tell, the nature of the arguments in this thread appear to reduce to two camps: Those who value quality and those who value appearance of quality. This is appropriate up until this point. However, the latter camp attempting to directly diminish the value of the concept of quality for the personal desire to maintain appearance of quality really comes across as juvenile and selfish. This isn't directed towards you at all; simply continuing my conversation train of thought.

There's some phrase I heard recently, but don't quite remember. It's "champagne tastes on (something) money." This seems like it is an accurate analogy. As an "aside," with my yearly income being in the 90th percentile, and going to the TPF this past year, and holding my $1k (spent $650) in my pocket tightly, I genuinely couldn't fathom how so many individuals with income likely much less than my own (oh, single and no kids, btw) could, with a clear head, spend so much money on these machines, let alone when considering the diminishing quality of Stern as the object of what I personally treat as a fairly sound entertainment investment.

To say, "well its fun and look nice" is cool. To say, "well its built like a rock and will last" is cool. However, these are two very different arguments based solely on ones own emotions towards who they are, what they wish to be, and what they wish to do in life. Acknowledgment of both is important, but diminishing of either as fundamentally "incorrect" or "wrong" is in itself the only "incorrect" or "wrong" thing which could be committed.

Well, sorry for rambling hahahah.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Stern has been pretty clear in the past that they don't like for there vendors to carry other games. Some of the biggest get away with doing whatever they want since they buy so many games. That's why you see so many jjp distros that carry cgc and other non stern pins.
    Seems like stern might finally be letting this go a little though as flipnout just became a stern distro.

If you aren't selling Stern games, with their volume, it makes a little tough for the few big ones that do for JJP

Profit matters

I'd love to support those guys and sure I will one day when they put out another theme I like

As for what Aurich said, disregard it and buy what you like. Nobody needs anybody telling them how to spend their $$$

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

wasn't trying to argue. Just wanted to make sure that when you do upgrade your furniture you don't buy that garbage.

Well, got some better companies in mind?

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well that would be stupid on his part and if Jack likes anything he loves a sale no matter where it comes from.
    Why would a distro commit to six figure purchases when I could walk into JJP with $10k in cash and walk out with a DICE
    Not that I would, just sayin

It's getting deep around here

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

Well, got some better companies in mind?

Any place that has furniture made from solid wood. Pleather, particle board, and laminated veneer surfaces are the first signs of cheap garbage. A solid wood dresser, table, bed, etc will be around for your great grandchildren and actually still will be worth something.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

They just sent me a box to replace my ghosted SW pro PF

:O already a ghosted pf?

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Any place that has furniture made from solid wood. Pleather, particle board, and laminated veneer surfaces are the first signs of cheap garbage. A solid wood dresser, table, bed, etc will be around for your great grandchildren and actually still will be worth something.

Well, yeah, but still need a vendor lol. Mainly been sifting through thousands of pages on Wayfair.

#98 6 years ago

Ok, since my college football season is over on game 1 I'm pulling the tarp off of my unloved Woz for the first time in several months.

Omg, the build quality is unreal!

I might donate it to the high school football team to use as a blocking sled.

Seriously, great pin, need to install witch mod i bought 3 months ago.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

It's getting deep around here

How about asking for "final payment" before they even reveal what the CE looks like! What a joke that is.

If they actually sold two dozen of those i'd be shocked. I mean people that actually follow through with the sale now

All of sudden, the distros have found a few CE's

Can you justify that one Spencer? Why not get the $12,500 CE, I'm sure its worth it, all that extra $3500 of quality oozing out of it.

#100 6 years ago

Stern can't even get a coffee table book published.

There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified/page/2?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.