Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg
    There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.
    #651 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Maybe or maybe that will be the end of new pinball machines being made, prices will not go down.

Prices may not come down, but features could come up

It's about getting value for your money. Someone please try and argue that Star Wars is a good value. PLEASE. I need a good laugh.

#652 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

It's about getting value for your money. Someone please try and argue that Star Wars is a good value. PLEASE. I need a good laugh.

Well, 3000 plays in 2 months on location means it's a heck of a value to me.

#653 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

U own 2 models of the same game? that makes sense.

I've seriously considered it with AC/DC. I have the Pro VE, and I've debated the Prem VE. If I had more space I'd probably do it. Great game.

#654 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

And who do you feel has the most overhead involved in building games?

In absolute dollars, Stern and it's not close.

On a per unit produced basis, which is what matters, Stern is at the bottom and it's not close.

#655 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Its a great playing game and I believe the pro is worth it anyway.

#656 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Maybe or maybe that will be the end of new pinball machines being made, prices will not go down.

no, because they know they can still make money by lowering the price. they would have to be a bunch of dumbasses, to refuse to fix the business model that shot themselves in the foot and just close the doors, instead of making 300% profit margin.

#657 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no, because they know they can still make money by lowering the price. they would have to be a bunch of dumbasses, to refuse to fix the business model that shot themselves in the foot and just close the doors, instead of making 300% profit margin.

I agree with you and wish it worked that way but it doesn't, is it stupid? yes, is that how it works? yes, will prices go down, No?

#658 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I agree with you and wish it worked that way but it doesn't, is it stupid? yes, is that how it works? yes, will prices go down, No?

we don't know because people are still lining up to buy games, even thou prices go up every release. Until the buying stops, we wont' know if they will smarten up and know it's because of price gouging or will they try and blame other factors, so it doesn't look like it's their fault? (ie: license sucked, designer sucked, art sucked)

#659 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

In absolute dollars, Stern and it's not close.
    On a per unit produced basis, which is what matters, Stern is at the bottom and it's not close.

Don't agree with this at all. Maybe if every title they sold was a major hit. Sometimes they run into a Game like Mustang, WWE, Rolling Stones or any other game that doesn't sell well. They probably employ 10 times as many people as the other companies combined. They have a game that doesn't sell well it hurts their bottom line & so when they end up with a hit they can make up for titles that done sell as well as anticipated.

Bottom line if you don't like the prices quit your crying & don't buy any. But i'm tired of crybabies (won't name any names but people know who) telling us what we should or should spend our money on.

#660 6 years ago

People does what they want with his money...

For some money is not a matter... Can spend without counting...

Let's see what happen when prices rise up next year...?

#661 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I love all these guys rushing out to buy Star Wars LE pins.

#662 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Tough to argue.

I got in about 20 games on a Pro at Jillys in Ocean City, NJ. I watched as even diehard Star Wars fans walked away from the machine disappointed. One game was enough for most.

#663 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I watched as even diehard Star Wars fans walked away from the machine disappointed. One game was enough for most.

Most Star Wars fans aren't pinball fans though. More than likely just checking it out.

#664 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Don't agree with this at all. Maybe if every title they sold was a major hit. Sometimes they run into a Game like Mustang, WWE, Rolling Stones or any other game that doesn't sell well. They probably employ 10 times as many people as the other companies combined. They have a game that doesn't sell well it hurts their bottom line & so when they end up with a hit they can make up for titles that done sell as well as anticipated.

Bad games don't hurt their bottom line like they used to. In the past, a bad title wouldn't sell, and would then go on closeout. You could buy a fully built game at a much cheaper price. You don't see that anymore because now they build on demand. There are not 30 extra cabinets printed and ready for a particular game, there are 30 sets of stickers (MUCH less expensive to them). There is the first run of playfields and the first batch of game particular parts, but again, they are not assembled (the big cost in a playfield).

A bad game just doesn't have that bad an impact on the bottom line. The real cost was the lost opportunity of having them on the line when they could have made a popular game going. Now if a game isn't selling well they can react to that quickly and stop making it. If it starts selling later, they are ready to go.

#665 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I got in about 20 games on a Pro at Jillys in Ocean City, NJ. I watched as even diehard Star Wars fans walked away from the machine disappointed. One game was enough for most.

If one game is enough to past judgment then they aren't pinball players, they are douche bags trying a game with the SW all over it, I doubt they are buying the pin or returning to dump money into it on site, the pin is amazing and this horseshit regarding value is just that horseshit, IM, GOT,TRON, many open concept fast games are considered some of the best out there, just because they aren't toys are all over it and magnets underneath doesn't make it a good pin.

#666 6 years ago

It's still the worst theme integration in recent history, still ghosting inserts, still crap code and scoring. Still cut and paste scenes and call outs. Can we get real here folks?

#667 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Bottom line if you don't like the prices quit your crying & don't buy any. But i'm tired of crybabies (won't name any names but people know who) telling us what we should or should spend our money on.

Stern is the only one that could 100% survive two bad titles in a row at this point. Due to the fact that they have the efficiencies and volume to offset it. If something doesn't sell well it is not stopping their production lines and they aren't sitting on inventory because there's such a thing as planning. They would simply move back to producing more machines that are still in demand.

No other manufacturer has that advantage. Who has more overhead, Walmart or the mom and pop store down the street? Who can sell and source at a lower price? What is your actual contention here?

#668 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

Stern is the only one that could 100% survive two bad titles in a row at this point. Due to the fact that they have the efficiencies and volume to offset it. If something doesn't sell well it is not stopping their production lines and they aren't sitting on inventory because there's such a thing as planning. They would simply move back to producing more machines that are still in demand.
    No other manufacturer has that advantage. Who has more overhead, Walmart or the mom and pop store down the street? Who can sell and source at a lower price? What is your actual contention here?

Don't forget, if Stern is forecasting a little slowdown, they just need to release a VE. Look at Iron Man VE. 2 runs that were not very big.

#669 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

It's still the worst theme integration in recent history, still ghosting inserts, still crap code and scoring. Still cut and paste scenes and call outs. Can we get real here folks?

more horseshit.

#670 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

more horseshit.

Agreed. The theme integration and code are great. Just haters.

#671 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

If one game is enough to past judgment then they aren't pinball players, they are douche bags trying a game with the SW all over it, I doubt they are buying the pin or returning to dump money into it on site, the pin is amazing and this horseshit regarding value is just that horseshit, IM, GOT,TRON, many open concept fast games are considered some of the best out there, just because they aren't toys are all over it and magnets underneath doesn't make it a good pin.

I never said fun or good pin. I said value. There's a difference. You don't think it's coincidence the BOM on Star Wars is a lot less than say, GB? Sure licensing costs may have had something to do with it but if you think for a second it didn't have to do with "It will sell anyway" mentality so let's up the profit margins you are sorely mistaken. That's the shit that pisses off pinheads.

#672 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I ask this be stricken from the record your honor. The poster is wearing a Boba Fett helmet in his avatar. Clearly biased. I asked he be removed from the courtroom.

#673 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

If you like a snowglobe and a tie fighter on a stick!.

Code wise I would say Dwight has done a good job to release more substance than past releases so I can't fault them too much on that. When you compare launch code for SW VS BM66....well you can't compare.

Layout wise this game is just plain boring. I would have taken a smash Jaba mech that rolls back to lock the balls anyday, or a freezing mech that drops the balls and freeze han solo MB, or magnets for "The Force", Jedi progression, Cloud City, AT AT, x-wing......just something.

Edit: GI animation is really good too

#674 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Most Star Wars fans aren't pinball fans though. More than likely just checking it out.

I was a star wars fan, and the DE SW blew me away. I was relatively new at the time when it came out and didn't know pinball all that well. If I would have seen the Stern SW back then. I would have been like....Meh :/

#675 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I ask this be stricken from the record your honor. The poster is wearing a Boba Fett helmet in his avatar. Clearly biased. I asked he be removed from the courtroom.

You're out of order, and you're out of order...this whole goddamn Jedi Council is out of order!!!!

#676 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was a star wars fan, and the DE SW blew me away. I was relatively new at the time when it came out and didn't know pinball all that well. If I would have seen the Stern SW back then. I would have been like....Meh :/

I am buying two LE's, one I am not opening until 2025.

#677 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I suppose you may be correct, but all of them went on to play multiple games on AS Pro and Spider-Man which were all in the same row.

IM just feels like a much better package to me. The theme integration and the Iron Monger are phenomenal on that game. It just feels right.

I hope SW grows on me.

#678 6 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

perfect, so when the boards are obsolete and you find out yours is dead out of the box, now you have no way to fix it or play it.

#679 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

perfect, so when the boards are obsolete and you find out yours is dead out of the box, now you have no way to fix it or play it.

That is sad.

#680 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Shoot the lit arrow... and watch some movie clips. There is virtually any cross over between the rule design and the multi-media. It's a pinball game with star wars media laid on top... with little linking them.

The Gandolf-guy as the only custom speech is just salt in the wound.

#681 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Are you sure you know what "theme integration" means?

Look, I think SW is a good game, just not a great game. But, theme integration is FAR from great.

#682 6 years ago

Do not want to interrupt this "God bless Stern" enthusiasm . However, can someone explain to me why the US prices of these machines fall in second hand, and the williams/bally prices rise or at least are steady ?

I have the explanation

#683 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

or a freezing mech that drops the balls and freeze han solo MB, or magnets for "The Force"

Yep....should have had a Carbonite Chamber ball lock. Magnet & desending ball lock below the playfield to a subway, similar to TOTAN. Fricking no brainer, along with a tons of "force magnets" screwing or saving the ball from outlanes.

Sigh. I am a mega SW fan, and I will never get over the fact that this SW pin just has so much lost potential. Could have been incredible. Shame.

#684 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Do not want to interrupt this "God bless Stern" enthusiasm . However, can someone explain to me why the US prices of these machines fall in second hand, and the williams/bally prices rise or at least are steady ?
    I have the explanation

Because why would anything used appreciate when its available new for less

Old games are a dying breed with more demand than supply... Stern games are rolling off the factory lines as supply dictates.

#685 6 years ago

It's also bullshit but who's counting

Quoted from jimy_speedt:

I have the explanation

When you factor in inflation (and even if you don't), most 90s Williams Bally games are worth less than they sold for when brand new.

When you look at newer Stern games in the aftermarket, you are hard pressed to find significant depreciation on asking prices. You are lucky to save 500 bucks buying a late-model stern in the aftermarket. The entire market is strong right now.

I'd say most EMs are worth more now than they were when brand new.

#686 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's also bullshit but who's counting

Between all the horse and bull, I'm losing track of my shits in this thread.

#687 6 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I hope all the characters are not force ghosts when you open it.

hanghost (resized).jpghanghost (resized).jpg

#688 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

I have the explanation

Guys, this was a slam dunk for a cargument and you missed it!

#689 6 years ago

https://urbandictionary.store/products/mug?defid=5832287

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Guys, this was a slam dunk for a cargument and you missed it!

No argument, I hope

#690 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

can someone explain to me why the US prices of these machines fall in second hand, and the williams/bally prices rise or at least are steady ?
    I have the explanation

After adjusting for inflation, what percentage of B/W games sell for more than their original price today? 2%?

As to those 2% though, the answer clearly must be "theme integration." Which I guess is this week's "world under glass."

#691 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

After adjusting for inflation, what percentage of B/W games sell for more than their original price today? 2%?
    As to those 2% though, the answer clearly must be "theme integration." Which I guess is this week's "world under glass."

Good ! Agree. What percentage on Stern machines ? 2% ? You re lucky man !

#692 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

I have the explanation

What do you think it'd happen if Stern closed down?

#693 6 years ago

J'en pense rien je m'en foutrais complet

I know that on the french forum, there are big fans of Stern machines, because the game is fluent, themes match todays's mood, they are bright and so many other reasons.
    Honestly, the question is not "must Stern close or not ?"

It is (for me) "when will they deliver quality playfields", "why are there less and less features for a higher and higher price", "why creativity is poorer than 20 years ago", "why is it commonly accepted that they can be little defects like switches to adjust, stickers or bulbs loose etc., on a brand new expensive stuff".

That's my point, and I am happy that challengers come to the market for a few years now. Hopefully, the pinball future will be bright

#694 6 years ago

I think everyone loves Stern games. I know that I do.

However, at these prices the deficiencies which have been discussed are unacceptable.

#695 6 years ago

Well I'm loving Star Wars premium and I've had some issues. Had a shaker take out the node board. Have some imperfections in playfield, but it's cool enough that I pimped it out.

Personally, I'm going to be more picky and make sure code is further along on future purchases

IMAG0704 (resized).jpgIMAG0704 (resized).jpg

IMAG0705 (resized).jpgIMAG0705 (resized).jpg

IMAG0710 (resized).jpgIMAG0710 (resized).jpg

#696 6 years ago

After showering for 45 minutes, I put on my robe (mix of cotton and cashmere) and head over to the wine cellar.
    Once a vintage Cabernet has been poured I then proceed over to the stern pinball area of my museum, carrera marble lines the floor so I must wear slippers on the way over. As I make my way to the newer games produced by stern, my DuPont Encapsulated Suit (Hazard rating A) hangs just outside the entrance awaiting my feeble body and sagging yet supple man-tits. After the suit is secure I'm now free to enter the pinball area. I glance over to the thermostat to ensure temperature is within operating ranges, before then validating relative humidity and other types of possible contaminants. Readings are in acceptable ranges, it's time to play, but what game?
    I settle on SW LE, this game is new and it deserves to be played. Fingers trembling I reach for the power button and the game comes to life, it's glowing start button flashes in the darkness and reflects off the helmet of my suit - It's almost as if I'm working within some sort of nuclear reactor but the lush velvet lining the walls would say otherwise. I hit the start button and the first ball is ejected into the shooter lane - truly a mechanical marvel and a beauty to behold, this is no doubt Stern's best game yet and arguably the most time I've ever sunk into one of my games.

I'll be selling this later on the week for anyone interested.

#697 6 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Well I'm loving Star Wars premium and I've had some issues. Had a shaker take out the node board. Have some imperfections in playfield, but it's cool enough that I pimped it out.
    Personally, I'm going to be more picky and make sure code is further along on future purchases

Love the white trim...looks great

#698 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

J'en pense rien je m'en foutrais complet
    I know that on the french forum, there are big fans of Stern machines, because the game is fluent, themes match todays's mood, they are bright and so many other reasons.
    Honestly, the question is not "must Stern close or not ?"
    It is (for me) "when will they deliver quality playfields", "why are there less and less features for a higher and higher price", "why creativity is poorer than 20 years ago", "why is it commonly accepted that they can be little defects like switches to adjust, stickers or bulbs loose etc., on a brand new expensive stuff".
    That's my point, and I am happy that challengers come to the market for a few years now. Hopefully, the pinball future will be bright

Je répondais juste à ta question, si stern mettait la cle sous la porte, certains de leurs jeux verraient leur vote s'envoler comme B/W.

Moderator Translation:
    The value of modern Sterns would increase if Stern goes Belly up.

I would add: and prices for B/W as well.

#699 6 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Je répondais juste à ta question, si stern mettait la cle sous la porte, certains de leurs jeux verraient leur vote s'envoler comme B/W.

What he said!.........wait......what did he say?

#700 6 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

truly a mechanical marvel and a beauty to behold, this is no doubt Stern's best game yet

You haven't played many Stern games then. To call Star Wars the best game yet is hard to fathom... that would mean it's better than MET, TWD, ST, TRON to name just a few. I highly doubt star wars will be in the top 50 5 years from now.

There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified/page/14?hl=gjm7777 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.