Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
    21192074_10154568550177924_235036763317045450_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2519 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMAG0710 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0705 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0704 (resized).jpg
    hanghost (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    stern-WTF- (resized).jpg
    fly in ointment.jpg
    There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.
    #551 6 years ago
    Quoted from Procrastinator:

Well there was clearly sterns with high hardness numbers so it's not like they don't know what they are doing. On top of it, it's just data, no reason to get your titties all twisted.
    You wanna know why everyone seemingly has a problem with stern? It's because most don't, they simply ask questions and are curious if there $9k pin is gonna look like dogshit in 6 months. Every time someone makes a comment even seemingly slighted at stern, here comes their army to defend them to their core. Most of the time innocuous comments are twisted around like their is some ulterior motives, and we just want stern to fail. The truth is most people want stern to succeed because they do put out some fun games. Maybe if people wouldn't kiss their ass and say, thank you sir, may I have another, maybe they would fix their issues.
    What makes it even more ridiculous is I want a new stern. Trying to decide between a MET, TWD, GB or ST. But according to you, we are just a bunch of anal haters who just dislike stern. Instead of always grabbing your white knight shield, maybe try understanding some people are trying to make sure they don't end up with trash for their $9k purchase.
    Otherwise if it clearly bothers you so much, then piss off somewhere else.

Just found a ghosting insert on my new Star Trek that I bought nib three weeks ago, produced in May 2016. FYI. Wtf

#552 6 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Or period starts with the first buyer?

Warranties usually start when buyer takes delivery of game.

LTG : )

#553 6 years ago

How can a distributor buy some pinball machine in stock without taking risk to be past warranty? Or period starts with the first buyer?

The written warranty says "Warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from [Stern] to its authorized distributors." Doesn't matter in your case, of course, because the written warranty does not cover decals, playfield, or anything other than "printed circuit boards" and "dot matrix display boards." But again, in practice Stern covers these items for longer than the warranty states, and covers a bunch of other things as well ...

Effectively stern warranty seems to be nebulous.

Bingo! Their written warranty is still what you'd give if all of your customers were commercial operators routing machines. Since that's no longer the case, Stern provides much more warranty service than is written on the page. But as you say, it is "nebulous."

And there is no way to buy this side of cabinet decal either, just a colored marker seems to be the only way.

If Stern still has the decals in stock (and they probably do for a game that new), I'd bet they would sell you one even if you cannot get your distributor to get you one for free.

How does work with other manufacturer? Is there period warranty?

Here's a link with the JJP and CGC (AFMr) written warranties, take a look and see what you think:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-60-day-warranty-lets-talk-warranties/page/2#post-3938048
    To summarize, they're somewhat more generous than Stern's written warranty but still not nearly as generous as Stern's actual practice in providing warranty coverage (I gather JJP, like Stern, has also sometimes provided service outside of the written warranty period, don't know about CGC).

#554 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Code is certainly no guarantee with Stern, except for Lyman eventually and Dwight very good lately. Lonnie has done a good job on AS.

... Iceman, you got me all fired up again, I'm gettin' t-shirts ready

Where'sTheCode-stern (resized).jpgWhere'sTheCode-stern (resized).jpg

#555 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Once I'm done reading this 'Stern bash thread" I'm starting a new "Ice bash thread".
    Its gonna be way more fun I bet

No doubt. Let's have some fun!

It's justified

And it will be much more interesting than rehashing the same old shit.

The good old days! I feel a drunken party coming on tonight

#556 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Once again, wait until they release GOTG and watch how fast people snap that theme up.

I'm already in for a pair of pros. I believe it's a title that's going to earn well on location. And while I personally would love to own an GoTG LE, the poor quality issues have not been corrected as of their last title, SW.

Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, i didn't have a chance to get over to NYNY last weekend to check out your "quality" pins, but i will next time, and I'll bring my magnifying glass.

Ehh, those are heavily routed pros. Besides, you don't need a magnifying glass to see all the ghosted inserts.

Swing by Fremont and eyeball the nice LE's I have over there.

Quoted from iceman44:

Yes Extreme, my BM66LE is just perfect now though Every other Stern pin I've ever bought, zero issues out of the box. Recent ASLE is perfect in every way.

I too had "zero" issues out of the box with my GB, AS & SW. Two-thousand or so plays later though.... a whole other story.

#557 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

I like stern a lot, Best pin next to Bally/Williams /
    Soon they will give us Sharpies with colors in game so if any touchups or tears in decals you may now handle them with ease . Easy fix but the 6 dollars of sharpies per pin may inflate the price another 100 per pin NIB for the extra markers

Actually they used to use Sharpies for touchups in the past. A friend of mine got a Tron LE with Sharpie touchup on the playfield...he had a fit! My friend's 2007 Spider-Man had some Sharpie touchups on the cabinet.

#558 6 years ago

"Ehh, those are heavily routed pros. Besides, you don't need a magnifying glass to see all the ghosted inserts.
    Swing by Fremont and eyeball the nice LE's I have over there."

Cool. That will give me a good excuse to go downtown. Always fun!

#559 6 years ago

Of course. Here is a pic. I just want to how Stern warranty works? Period? When period starts?
    Game built august 2016. got it nib around 4 months ago. I know I should have asked earlier, but it did not prevent me from playing ..and time is gone..

That looks more like a setup nick than anything. I thought we were going to see wrinkled decals or ones that were not straight. I'm sure I get bigger scars on my games during parties at the house. Ignore that one or like he said, color it a bit so it doesn't stick out. Then play.

#560 6 years ago

My new puppy I'm training to bring me a Coors light. The 16 ounce cans are difficult at this point.

IMG_6646 (resized).JPGIMG_6646 (resized).JPG

#561 6 years ago

Whatever happened to planking??

#562 6 years ago

Reading this thread for some reason, then I see the pic of ice with his dog. All I know is this man knows the most comfortable shoes ever! I have the same pair. I love those things!

#563 6 years ago

My man!

IMG_6647 (resized).JPGIMG_6647 (resized).JPG

#564 6 years ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

Reading this thread for some reason, then I see the pic of ice with his dog. All I know is this man knows the most comfortable shoes ever! I have the same pair. I love those things!

Oh man. Best shoes ever. Got two of the mesh versions too

Olukai I think

#565 6 years ago

Cats aren't impressed. Who cares. Finally have a useful animal!

IMG_6648 (resized).JPGIMG_6648 (resized).JPG

#566 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Cats aren't impressed. Who cares. Finally have a useful animal!

Bitch please!

IMG_0875 (resized).JPGIMG_0875 (resized).JPG

#567 6 years ago

Haha, yep I can see your cat is king of the castle too

All my cats do is take the pinball covers off my pins. They want to play !

#568 6 years ago
    Quoted from MacLean:

... Iceman, you got me all fired up again, I'm gettin' t-shirts ready

code2 (resized).pngcode2 (resized).png

#569 6 years ago

f'en hilarious!

#570 6 years ago

Olukai, probably the most comfortable shoes ever made. Other than my running shoes, they are literally the last dozen pairs that I have owned.

#571 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

serviceable pieces of equipment with schematics.

yup. we are all duped into buying home pins now / this is sad

#572 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Actually they used to use Sharpies for touchups in the past. A friend of mine got a Tron LE with Sharpie touchup on the playfield...he had a fit! My friend's 2007 Spider-Man had some Sharpie touchups on the cabinet.

don't doubt it for a second.
    It is withing Build tolerance.
    At least the marker doesnt effect gameplay . /
    Will probably only buy real Pinball machines with servicable parts from now on and leave the homepin Market for good even if they come out with Iron Maiden and Jaws . And by servicable parts i do not mean 268 dollar Node Boards

#573 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

this is very true. Stern used to use sharpies to touch up blemishes all the time. There are many LOTR with factory sharpie on the cabs. They have been doing it for years.

#574 6 years ago

Permanent Sharpie paint pens (as they are made in a variety of colors and tip widths presently available) are an effective means to correct very minor playfield and cabinet deficiencies. Black permanent markers were used in factories, but were a poor choice for repairs due to reaction with cleaners and wax.

Many people likley already own games that used them at some point including NIB games and do not know. This is especially true for cabinets. This is not a cost cutting measure by manufacturers. The is the equivalent to furniture makers using stain markers, or automotive industry using paint markers.

There are of course better alternatives, but that requires someone that actually has proper paint skills, tools, and materials.

Paint pens or markers are not optimal on playfield surfaces due to clear coat with potential smear unless inside deep fine cracks (such as hairline planking). I prefer "One Shot" enamel paints and spot automotive clear. These paints are can be much more expensive and are impractical for workers in factories.

Stern to my knowledge does not have an artist corrective department used by other companies in the past for quality control predominantly because volumes of sales cannot justify the added overhead today. Normally this process is done before clear coating for permanency on playfields. Cabinets are simply inspected and touched up as required after construction.

Those that restore playfields are familiar with these techniques described.

This seems to be another OMG inaccurate 'Chicken Little' moment (AKA new pinball buyer syndrome) of both what cost cutting is and is not, and developing false expectations on game production as a whole.
    This does not play into the argument of "Stern bashing".
    Mass game manufacturers do not re sand and clear coat playfields over again for small blemishes (they do try to buff them out though), nor apply new cabinet decals to minor scratches.
    I can share that certain manufacturers have redone playfield clear coat productions for ghosting issues, but only when production runs were very small such as IPB BBB.

If this a major concern buy NOoB (New Out of Box).
    Distributor floor models are an excellent choice alternative, as you can see what a person is buying.
    Just don't buy samples, including at pinball shows, as sometimes final features are omitted or simply don't work right.
    A great recent example is the whole "Alien is shipping", when they were simply advanced prototype unfinished games.

#575 6 years ago

i'd take my whole cabinet drawn in sharpie if I could have boards that were serviceable.

#576 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The written warranty says "Warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from [Stern] to its authorized distributors." Doesn't matter in your case, of course, because the written warranty does not cover decals, playfield, or anything other than "printed circuit boards" and "dot matrix display boards." But again, in practice Stern covers these items for longer than the warranty states, and covers a bunch of other things as well ...

Bingo! Their written warranty is still what you'd give if all of your customers were commercial operators routing machines. Since that's no longer the case, Stern provides much more warranty service than is written on the page. But as you say, it is "nebulous."

If Stern still has the decals in stock (and they probably do for a game that new), I'd bet they would sell you one even if you cannot get your distributor to get you one for free.

Here's a link with the JJP and CGC (AFMr) written warranties, take a look and see what you think:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-60-day-warranty-lets-talk-warranties/page/2#post-3938048
    To summarize, they're somewhat more generous than Stern's written warranty but still not nearly as generous as Stern's actual practice in providing warranty coverage (I gather JJP, like Stern, has also sometimes provided service outside of the written warranty period, don't know about CGC).

the warranty (for the customer) should start since the customer receive the game. It is common sense.
    If only 5 or 10% of the machine price is guaranteed I think QC should be better it is currently, regarding the 90-95% of the game not under the warranty. This king of flaw is very visible ( it is not a nick), so how QC can miss it? Maybe they don't care as it is not in the warranty? If you are right, this system is vicious.
    Anyway, Chas (stern) told me it will be replaced if the game is still under warranty. Then I gave him serial number, date of manufacture (august 2016)got it nib since 4 months....and finally the game is past warranty! Effectively if the warranty starts since date of manufacture...

#577 6 years ago

the warranty (for the customer) should start since the customer receive the game. It is common sense.
    If only 5 or 10% of the machine price is guaranteed I think QC should be better it is currently, regarding the 90-95% of the game not under the warranty. This king of flaw is very visible ( it is not a nick), so how QC can miss it? Maybe they don't care as it is not in the warranty? If you are right, this system is vicious.
    Anyway, Chas (stern) told me it will be replaced if the game is still under warranty. Then I gave him serial number, date of manufacture (august 2016)got it nib since 4 months....and finally the game is past warranty! Effectively if the warranty starts since date of manufacture...

This sounds like another "epiphany" of understanding the present policies and warranty of Stern.
    Learning is extremely valuable, if a person is willing to read.
    There is no need for determining hypothesis of WHY (there it is again, asking the right questions).

This warranty has been UNCHANGED since 1999, except for the updated playfield and game CYA "differentiation" policy in 2017, minor wording changes aside from the WhiteStar days.
    That policy specific change was FORCED by on continued reporting by new owners into a new position, and not necessarily for the better.
    It simply amazes me people continue to deny "something has gone wrong" until it bites them in the ass.

Some of us have already stated the only solution, and acted accordingly.
    Take your toys and go home and wait for changes, or keep their buying games and complain on a pinball forum that Stern does read, but is not going to change unless they have to for their own benefit.

fly in ointment.jpgfly in ointment.jpg

#578 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I have explained some aspects in the past.
    Let's look at things from a future standpoint, not the present.
    This is called "short term profit methodology".
    It is actually a standard business practice, if a manufacturer can figure out how to do it, and TRY to make a product look/operate identical.
    It generally is ineffective when it comes to some types collectibles, so it shows the high level of new potential owners and buyers today in this hobby, and the lack of understanding or caring about the standards of the past games. Other collectible areas, people will simply not buy the "knock offs" even if made by the same company that built the originals.
    Don't get me wrong, other collectible areas such as antique radios for example or jukeboxes have "new products versus old", but you do not see Rockola start using plywood instead of walnut on their jukeboxes, putting in crappy speakers and amplifiers, removing chrome trim, eliminating bubbler tubes, or minimizing the original lighting (although plastic has been used as replacements) to simply make a few extra dollars on the jukebox.
    When I bought my Wurlitzer 1015 OMT back in 2005 and compared it to the original 1946, Wurlitzer did a very good job at replicating the original machine including the carousel, minus of course the electro mechanicals. That is why comparative to a fully restored HER original, the "remake" did not cost $15-20K!
    BTW, this market is EVEN SMALLER than pinball.
    NOTE: Wurlitzer formally closed in 2013, even though it had been acquired by Gibson Guitars years earlier. Sad day.
    Stern knows the pinball surf wave will not last forever, experienced the pain before, and have to take as much as they can, while they can.
    If a potential owner was not buying NIB Stern machines in 2006, they did not see what happened.
    In the long term, Stern will simply reduce production to 1-2 titles a year, or whatever the market can bear, and survive.
    If things go really sour, the investor council will close the company permanently, as was considered in 2010.
    This would only really take a couple of bad failures of licenses or titles, most other companies remain one title away to financial closure.
    Stern will continue to accelerate cost cutting as they go, as needed, or attempt new directions such as the outsourcing of construction, parts, and materials to reduce overhead in order to offset any changes in manufacturing including the largest cost, LABOR.
    The remaining manufacturers will fold, as there will simply be not enough demand to sustain them.
    American Pinball is a good example, as they have produced nothing yet, and NEED Houdini to be great hit.
    Presently however, CGC and PPS are gaining a good foothold in the "retro" market, which Stern cannot directly compete.
    They do have the necessary licenses to do it, but could if they really wanted, if they did some reach back.
    WNBJM is not a correct example of a "remake" as it was a "retheme" and not an original Stern game to start with overall.
    To be be brutally honest, Stern would be better off re releasing older games from the 90s (DE), than some of the crap they did since 1999.
    But would the games be the same QUALITY or less from what they made before?
    Hmmmm....I don't think so....
    People do not even realize reruns of the same popular games such as LOTR were not the same from one version to another...
    With additional competitive pricing and proven successful games of CGC, Stern are concerned.
    They should be, as there remains a finite amount of disposable income to be spent on the tiny % of people who want to own new pinball machines.
    TINY.
    The rest of the companies will continue to fight for the scraps of what is left to the end.
    For example, Spooky LLC has the support of the community, unlike ANY other manufacturer, and has a good rep for customer service support. JJP is right behind them, and is recognized for their quality of games.
    The rest of the companies all have complete and utter, uncertain present futures living on shaky ground like an earthquake fault.
    Most have released no fully produced game at all, just prototypes or tiny amounts of games.
    All other manufacturers represent less than 10% of the entire market and with prices for "premium" games effectively reaching MSRPs at $10K, it forced many potential NIB buyers completely out of the market, or forced to do the "Hokey Pokey" with Stern.
    I am NOT doing the "Hokey Pokey" with a manufacturer that wants to give me less quality and game for more money. That is for the foolhardy. I already supported Stern once before on this aspect in the 2000s, and I will not tolerate them doing this again at least to me. For some this is some sort of "epiphany" which is NOT new to the pinball industry.
    As a result, Stern knows where they stand at least for the next 2-5 years or so, or we as a whole have another pricing drop period in the market earlier than anticipated.
    This is a prediction based on experience, not conjecture, as I stated even here before, and it WILL happen again.
    This is not a market "crash", it is a pinball "recession".
    Prices are already steadying on used "Top 10" games, and dropping for those hoarders of NIB games (still sitting in boxes) made more than 2 years ago. There has been a slow increase of owner's already "cashing out" as interest begins to fade again.

I love your posts. I think you bring great knowledge and value to discussions. If I ever meet you, I'm buying several drinks and want to pick your brain as your posts relate to common sense in the business world.

Stern is a business. Why anyone thinks they are not going to act like one is beyond me.

Read the book Good to Great by Jim Collins and you will quickly know the problems Stern has.

In my mind they are a reactive company. They fix issues once discovered. They have great customer support. They just do not look at the big picture and plan accordingly.

Here's an interesting analogy.

The first expedition to reach the geographic South Pole was led by the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen. He and four others arrived at the pole on 14 December 1911,[n 1] five weeks ahead of a British party led by Robert Falcon Scott as part of the Terra Nova Expedition. Amundsen and his team returned safely to their base, and later learned that Scott and his four companions had died on their return journey.

Amundsen's initial plans had focused on the Arctic and the conquest of the North Pole by means of an extended drift in an icebound ship. He obtained the use of Fridtjof Nansen's polar exploration ship Fram, and undertook extensive fundraising. Preparations for this expedition were disrupted when, in 1909, the rival American explorers Frederick Cook and Robert E. Peary each claimed to have reached the North Pole. Amundsen then changed his plan and began to prepare for a conquest of the South Pole; uncertain of the extent to which the public and his backers would support him, he kept this revised objective secret. When he set out in June 1910, he led even his crew to believe they were embarking on an Arctic drift, and revealed their true Antarctic destination only when Fram was leaving their last port of call, Madeira.

Amundsen made his Antarctic base, which he named "Framheim", in the Bay of Whales on the Great Ice Barrier. After months of preparation, depot-laying and a false start that ended in near-disaster, he and his party set out for the pole in October 1911. In the course of their journey they discovered the Axel Heiberg Glacier, which provided their route to the polar plateau and ultimately to the South Pole. The party's mastery of the use of skis and their expertise with sledge dogs ensured rapid and relatively trouble-free travel. Other achievements of the expedition included the first exploration of King Edward VII Land and an extensive oceanographic cruise.

The expedition's success was widely applauded, though the story of Scott's heroic failure overshadowed its achievement in the United Kingdom. Amundsen's decision to keep his true plans secret until the last moment was criticised by some. Recent polar historians have more fully recognised the skill and courage of Amundsen's party; the permanent scientific base at the pole bears his name, together with that of Scott.

By not planning and listening to their customer base, I ultimately feel Stern will close shop. It will not be this year or next, but if things do not change, Stern will become like Scott in the above story.

#579 6 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Just found a ghosting insert on my new Star Trek that I bought nib three weeks ago

stern-WTF- (resized).jpgstern-WTF- (resized).jpg

#580 6 years ago

Chas (stern) told me it will be replaced if the game is still under warranty. Then I gave him serial number, date of manufacture (august 2016)got it nib since 4 months....and finally the game is past warranty! Effectively if the warranty starts since date of manufacture...

Did you try contacting your distributor? 100% of the reports are that that is what you should do, instead of contacting Stern directly. Your distributor has influence with Stern that you as an individual buyer do not.

Go to your distributor now, I'd bet they can get your decal for you.

#581 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Did you try contacting your distributor? 100% of the reports are that that is what you should do, instead of contacting Stern directly. Your distributor has influence with Stern that you as an individual buyer do not.
    Go to your distributor now, I'd bet they can get your decal for you.

This is in progress.
    Thanks for all the information and the attention.

#582 6 years ago

This is in progress.
    Thanks for all the information and the attention.

Good luck! I hope they get you fixed up.

#583 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Permanent Sharpie paint pens (as they are made in a variety of colors and tip widths presently available) are an effective means to correct very minor playfield and cabinet deficiencies. Black permanent markers were used in factories, but were a poor choice for repairs due to reaction with cleaners and wax.
    Many people likley already own games that used them at some point including NIB games and do not know. This is especially true for cabinets. This is not a cost cutting measure by manufacturers. The is the equivalent to furniture makers using stain markers, or automotive industry using paint markers.
    There are of course better alternatives, but that requires someone that actually has proper paint skills, tools, and materials.
    Paint pens or markers are not optimal on playfield surfaces due to clear coat with potential smear unless inside deep fine cracks (such as hairline planking). I prefer "One Shot" enamel paints and spot automotive clear. These paints are can be much more expensive and are impractical for workers in factories.
    Stern to my knowledge does not have an artist corrective department used by other companies in the past for quality control predominantly because volumes of sales cannot justify the added overhead today. Normally this process is done before clear coating for permanency on playfields. Cabinets are simply inspected and touched up as required after construction.
    Those that restore playfields are familiar with these techniques described.
    This seems to be another OMG inaccurate 'Chicken Little' moment (AKA new pinball buyer syndrome) of both what cost cutting is and is not, and developing false expectations on game production as a whole.
    This does not play into the argument of "Stern bashing".
    Mass game manufacturers do not re sand and clear coat playfields over again for small blemishes (they do try to buff them out though), nor apply new cabinet decals to minor scratches.
    I can share that certain manufacturers have redone playfield clear coat productions for ghosting issues, but only when production runs were very small such as IPB BBB.
    If this a major concern buy NOoB (New Out of Box).
    Distributor floor models are an excellent choice alternative, as you can see what a person is buying.
    Just don't buy samples, including at pinball shows, as sometimes final features are omitted or simply don't work right.
    A great recent example is the whole "Alien is shipping", when they were simply advanced prototype unfinished games.

How can you write this much about someone going "boop" with a Sharpie? Sometimes you provide some interesting historical perspective that is right on, however "boop" doesn't require a loquacious post like that.

#584 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

How can you write this much about someone going "boop" with a Sharpie? Sometimes you provide some interesting historical perspective that is right on, however "boop" doesn't require a loquacious post like that.

Yeah it's the usual droning Captain Obvious stuff....zzzzzzz But maybe somewhere in there is something useful to someone new to the hobby. Hope so anyways.

#585 6 years ago

btw, that's a big ass fly. I think if I found a fly that large, i'd have to trap it and keep it as a pet.

#586 6 years ago

Do not want to add things, knowing that people here talk about technic and quality, but I am really fed up tonight with my ACDC. My favorite games are sys 11, here with the ACDC the ball goes to the outhole as quickly as I write... impossible to build a game strategy, the ball goes out by the outlanes or in the middle so easily, I hate that. 2 month after purchase, it is on sale. WTF what is that kind of pinball machines they are selling now ????

#587 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Do not want to add things, knowing that people here talk about technic and quality, but I am really fed up tonight with my ACDC. My favorite games are sys 11, here with the ACDC the ball goes to the outhole as quickly as I write quickl... impossible to build a game strategy, the ball goes out by the outlanes or in the middle so easily, I hate that. 2 month after purchase, it is on sale. WTF what is that kind of pinball machines they are selling now ????

Tighten your outlanes, problem solved.

#588 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Do not want to add things, knowing that people here talk about technic and quality, but I am really fed up tonight with my ACDC. My favorite games are sys 11, here with the ACDC the ball goes to the outhole as quickly as I write... impossible to build a game strategy, the ball goes out by the outlanes or in the middle so easily, I hate that. 2 month after purchase, it is on sale. WTF what is that kind of pinball machines they are selling now ????

PLAY BETTER!!!

ACDC is a punishing game but I suggest you not sell it, and tough it out instead.
    It's one of sterns best.

#589 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I have no regrets about doing this on my Star Wars.

#590 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Hi, I did it from hard to medium, it was a nightmare to do it without removing the ramps. Plse do not worry, I must be damned, I have never seen a ball going out that fast, what is the point ? The same music track starts and starts again, no way. Prefer to loose money than hating ACDC

#591 6 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi, I did it from hard to medium, it was a nightmare to do it without removing the ramps. Plse do not worry, I must be damned, I have never seen a ball going out that fast, what is the point ? The same music track starts and starts again, no way. Prefer to loose money than hating ACDC

I've had AC/DC since it came out and have never had that experience. Weird.

#592 6 years ago

Hi Guys,

I'm reading you since a while... Quality in Stern is surely a problem, but more than that the Stern warranty policy is according to me not acceptable... So it is important to ask about warranty period to the distributor. If there no warranty because it ran out of time, it's like you're buying a second hand product...

Then have a look on the second hand market and see the prizes practised... They're not the same. So a recommendation, don't buy NIB anymore and Stern will react. Go on if you want, but in this case do not whine afterward.

Stern quality issues and warranty policy are known things... So act consequently and take your responsibilities.

#593 6 years ago
    Quoted from Leveeger:

Hi Guys,
    I'm reading you since a while... Quality in Stern is surely a problem, but more than that the Stern warranty policy is according to me not acceptable... So it is important to ask about warranty period to the distributor. If there no warranty because it ran out of time, it's like you're buying a second hand product...
    Then have a look on the second hand market and see the prizes practised... They're not the same. So a recommendation, don't buy NIB anymore and Stern will react. Go on if you want, but in this case do not whine afterward.
    Stern quality issues and warranty policy are known things... So act consequently and take your responsibilities.

Although I clearly understand what you are trying to state, using the term, "warranty policy" implies that the CYA policy is a warranty, or the warranty practices have changed.

Neither is true.
    The warranty is still the same, as is the period.
    Many people never understood the acquisition part of the pinball warranty normally has LONG expired by the time a game is received by an owner, not considering if the game is sold again, repeatedly.
    Terms are important, and not just to lawyers, but consumers as well.
    If a person confuses another, it is part of the reason why Stern ended up having add the additional policy.

As stated, the only way things will change is knowledgeable owners take their toys and go home, or remove them.
    I personally am preparing to sell my last Stern game (a SAM system), as I see no benefit to dealing with Stern as a company, and I actually had less problems than the past. I do like many of the people as friends at the factory.
    However, I don't take my positions lightly.

#594 6 years ago

I love to read the English of non Americans here. I wish I could hear it. No I am not making fun of you. I cannot speak a word of anything other than my native language.

#595 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I love to read the English of non Americans here. I wish I could hear it. No I am not making fun of you. I cannot speak a word of anything other than my native language.

Homo Sum Humani A Me Nihil Alienum Puto
    (Latin translation meaning: The respect we provide to other cultures not our own)

This is not a slight to you, but part of what the internet is today.

#596 6 years ago

Don't be usin no fancy word and such up in here.

#597 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

PLAY BETTER!!!
    ACDC is a punishing game but I suggest you not sell it, and tough it out instead.
    It's one of sterns best.

The cannon prevents you to see the ball in the right side and so how to nudge the machine.

Sold my luci a long time ago coz i must be one of few guys that don't like the gameplay.

#598 6 years ago

The cannon prevents you to see the ball in the right side and so how to nudge the machine.

I've never had this problem. You see the ball coming, you know it's physics and trajectory, and can nudge & save it on the right.

The "X blocks my view" phenomenon is interesting. There are some pinball players who can't track the ball unless it's 100% in sight...the people who say the hammer on Metallica blocks their view, for example. I've never felt like it blocked my view...I know where the ball is during that half a second that it's behind something and know where it's going to be momentarily.

#599 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I've never had this problem. You see the ball coming, you know it's physics and trajectory, and can nudge & save it on the right.
    The "X blocks my view" phenomenon is interesting. There are some pinball players who can't track the ball unless it's 100% in sight...the people who say the hammer on Metallica blocks their view, for example. I've never felt like it blocked my view...I know where the ball is during that half a second that it's behind something and know where it's going to be momentarily.

Thank you. You just explained why I love my GOT LE...that whole "upper playfield blocks my view so I went with the pro" argument is ridiculous. It's not like you have to do anything with it when it's hidden under there.

#600 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thank you. You just explained why I love my GOT LE...that whole "upper playfield blocks my view so I went with the pro" argument is ridiculous. It's not like you have to do anything with it when it's hidden under there.

Is that a complaint about GOTLE? I thought the main complaint was one of the orbits not working, the upper playfield slowing down flow, or the upper playfield just being lame.

There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified/page/12?hl=procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.