(Topic ID: 331489)

Stern Banners-Just bought a fake

By tbutler6

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

83B22E3F-E021-42BD-9C7C-8325B9A249E5 (resized).png
    DFB2FB27-C638-4A13-B074-78CCEB870567 (resized).jpeg
    E5352A6F-D4AA-429F-8509-F30CD8522225 (resized).jpeg
    22F6B73F-F30F-4ADC-8D00-C419923E8F66 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are having a nice night. I wanted to let people know of something that caught me off gaurd-as i did a quick forum search and did not see a topic on this. I purchased a Stranger Things Banner from ebay seller onlinecloseoutdeals .

The banner showed up today, the contrast was excellent! The primary material seemed fine, no damage. So i hung it up next to other banners…

This seller is selling reproduction banners…The thread is the wrong color, the stitching is about 1/2” further toward the middle, the grommets are different, and some of the stitching goes through “Netflix”.

The banner is overall, very beautiful-but i think people should know these are reproductions. I’ve attached some photos for ya’ll to check out.

Have a Great Weekend-

22F6B73F-F30F-4ADC-8D00-C419923E8F66 (resized).jpeg22F6B73F-F30F-4ADC-8D00-C419923E8F66 (resized).jpegDFB2FB27-C638-4A13-B074-78CCEB870567 (resized).jpegDFB2FB27-C638-4A13-B074-78CCEB870567 (resized).jpegE5352A6F-D4AA-429F-8509-F30CD8522225 (resized).jpegE5352A6F-D4AA-429F-8509-F30CD8522225 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

If advertised as legit stern banners then report him to ebay for selling fake items. they will ban him if you want to push it. hopefully you payed less than stern asks.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

hopefully you payed less than stern asks.

F that. If the seller is selling knockoffs hopefully the seller gets kicked and the buyer gets a refund or what they thought they were really paying for…

#4 1 year ago

U can have almost any sign ship print you these. Dont buy fakes, make em yourself.

#5 1 year ago

I would file an ebay dispute regardless of whether it's billed as legitimate. Stern surely did not authorize these, which makes it counterfeit goods.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lokust:

I would file an ebay dispute regardless of whether it's billed as legitimate. Stern surely did not authorize these, which makes it counterfeit goods.

Any ebay user can report it as counterfeit without having to purchase

#7 1 year ago

That seller caught my attention a few weeks back, and it seemed curious as to why they appeared to have an endless supply. I suppose that answers that question.

#8 1 year ago

If they're made directly from Stern's files, I'm sure Stern would like to know how those files got out, too.

#9 1 year ago

You should also notify Stern. Their lawyer will send a cease and desist letter, basically a letter threatening a lawsuit if they don’t stop. They’ll also contact the sellers local police force and press charges.

#10 1 year ago

these things are also flooding the FB Marketplace and Pinball groups. I asked if these were "officiarry ricened" and got blocked by the seller. didn't see that coming!

#11 1 year ago

Everything being knocked off these days, but banners? Thanks OP, I was actually looking for some recently, I'll be paying attention.

What about pinsiders selling banners here on Pinside? Just a quick check on the market thread, some guys seem to always have them in stock, including for several games. Anyone knows if those are official resellers?

#12 1 year ago

There's someone even bootlegging my Shadow translite, doesn't matter how niche things are someone is down to make knockoffs. As always, if it seems too good to be true ("wow, I thought these were sold out!") it usually is.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

There's someone even bootlegging my Shadow translite, doesn't matter how niche things are someone is down to make knockoffs. As always, if it seems too good to be true ("wow, I thought these were sold out!") it usually is.

So true. I posted the Pincinnati show art design to Reddit one year, and one of the first comments (assume it was a bot), was a link to a website with our art plastered all over various products.

#14 1 year ago

Thanks for the support fellas-

I did speak with an EBay rep. They initiated a return request regardless of the “no refund” statement. If they would have said reproduction or something else, i would not have had such an issue. I shot a similar message to Stern through their FB Messenger account to show them the differences and such. I didn’t want to display (to a lesser extent), trade someone, or potentially sell a banner to another pinsider or local friend that was not legit someday.

#15 1 year ago

Not sure why no one has speculated that Stern subs out the manufacture of these banners to the lowest bidders - most likely in China - and there are probably a few retained at once. Comparing the construction of your earlier-purchased banners to this one and finding variations doesn’t necessarily point to counterfeit. As long as the imagery and dimensions are the same across vendors, Stern cares not if the thread used is a different color.

#16 1 year ago

I mentioned these knockoffs in a previous thread and was mocked for it. After all, it was just a banner so who cares as long as it's cheaper, right? Well...I care if it's officially licensed or not and I'm glad to see that more people than not agree with me.

PS...people sell these fakes at pinball shows (saw them at Allentown) and nobody says anything because they think they're real and they're getting a bargain.

#17 1 year ago

Report to eBay and you can potentially get refunded.

#18 1 year ago

“Made from Stern files” indicates a reproduction in the original ad, but then goes on to say “to the exact way Stern made them” …still indicating repro, but not true or we wouldn’t be here.

#19 1 year ago

I made a few banners at vista print for my personal use. Slightly larger but a fraction of the cost and they look great!

#20 1 year ago

I think I bought some from this seller not realizing they are not original stern but they look nice and are not cheaply made. The only diff is the thread and grommet color. They should list they are not original in the listing tho. Mando and AIQ are OG and dead and deadp are from this seller

83B22E3F-E021-42BD-9C7C-8325B9A249E5 (resized).png83B22E3F-E021-42BD-9C7C-8325B9A249E5 (resized).png
    #21 1 year ago

Are these fake banners that this seller is selling similar to what Marcdaddy sells on here? I notice he doesn't state that they are authentic Stern products in the descriptions.

#22 1 year ago

I once bought a t shirt at a rock concert in the 80s and found out later it was fake........ I am still waiting for my refund and the police to arrest them. I think all the police have been in chinatown ny trying to arrest all the fake rolex and gucci purse selling people. But they will get to me soon.Its a friggin 20.00 poster. wgaf.....kAREN

#23 1 year ago

I was expecting this banner to be like $50 tops... $200? insane.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

I was expecting this banner to be like $50 tops... $200? insane.

Yeah if they were cheaper than the official Stern ones and were labelled as such then I wouldn't care much. But they're actually more expensive and being sold as the real thing.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from solid_snake:

Are these the same fake banners that Marcdaddy sells on here? I notice he doesn't state that they are authentic Stern products in the descriptions.

Marc has Stern made banners, not fakes.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from solid_snake:

Are these the same fake banners that Marcdaddy sells on here? I notice he doesn't state that they are authentic Stern products in the descriptions.

100% legit and original Sterns. Bought from him in person a few times - good guy.

#27 1 year ago

i too have bought from him

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from twinturb089:

I once bought a t shirt at a rock concert in the 80s and found out later it was fake........ I am still waiting for my refund and the police to arrest them. I think all the police have been in chinatown ny trying to arrest all the fake rolex and gucci purse selling people. But they will get to me soon.Its a friggin 20.00 poster. wgaf.....kAREN

In spirit I agree with you but these are $200, not $20.

Fakes are supposed to be cheap! I'm sure your bootleg 80s concert T was 10 bucks, instead of the $30 ones inside. That's how it's supposed to work!

#29 1 year ago

Stern could keep making banners and sell to the public for $200. But since they don’t, there’s a market for banners. I don’t know why it matters if it was from Stern or not if the quality is still very good. You can’t get them from Stern so whatever.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Stern could keep making banners and sell to the public for $200. But since they don’t, there’s a market for banners. I don’t know why it matters if it was from Stern or not if the quality is still very good. You can’t get them from Stern so whatever.

I think you can buy the banners from distributors.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I think you can buy the banners from distributors.

I heard on a podcast that this was ceasing soon if not already. I don't know, just repeating what I heard. Might've been Zak from Flipping Out.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from solid_snake:

The banners that he sells are genuine Stern products. You shouldn’t make accusations like that.
    Marcdaddy

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

The banners that he sells are genuine Stern products. You shouldn’t make accusations like that.
    Marcdaddy

True. I worded it wrong and edited my post. I wasnt accusing Marc of anything, I was just wondering if the ones he sells were the same as what the op bought.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-banners-just-bought-a-fake?hl=tbutler6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.