(Topic ID: 44705)

stern ball trough launching multiple balls...

By BloodyCactus

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wtuttle
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WD matrix (resized).JPG
trough2 (resized).JPG
image-688.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

as an owner of many sterns and work on many sterns almost daily (old and new):
1) replace the connectors that go to both trough boards (thanks parker).
2) solder everything, not just the pins on the trough boards. doesnt matter if game is new out of box, the trough boards are NOT new. I bought a NIB SEGA harley davison and the optos' solder joints to the motorcycle already were cracked and didnt work properly on game number 1 played.
3) check your weldement at top of trough kick out. if its cracked, broke/raised up, a ball can shootout and fall back in from the shooter lane, then it kicks out 2 balls because 2 balls are now in the up kicker part of trough.
*if you do all of the above and the problem Does not go go away, one or both of your trough pcb has a real problem. replace those and you are done.

In addition to #3, it also could be that the ball is trying to kickout but the angled part at the trough exit is knocking the ball back down causing two balls to be in the jam opto area and thus both balls would be ejected to the shooter lane. This is a common problem and the solution is to bend the angled part slightly either toward the plunger or away from the plunger. It takes some trial and error to get it right.

3 months later
#19 9 years ago

Yep, your welds are busted.

2 years later
#33 6 years ago

Could just be the switch is bad internally (or diode assuming it has one).

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Leaf blade, not micro mini switch.
LTG : )

I thought he said micro switches in the ball trough?

wtuttle can we get a picture?

Quoted from wtuttle:

Seems nobody has had this issue in some time, but I am stumped. I have a TWD Premium. It is a four-ball game with micro-switches in the ball trough. My last switch, where the fourth ball would rest if there were none in play (#18) stays lit unless the playfield is tilted in the opposite direction it's supposed to go. I've tried re-seating the connectors. I lack the ability (and tools) to re-solder.
Any ideas? It would be much appreciated. I'll donate $20 to Pinside if someone can save me from calling a tech over!
Cheers from Canada,
Winston.

trough2 (resized).JPGtrough2 (resized).JPG

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Hmm, thanks for the idea. I'm going to investigate this in the morning. I just played a game with three balls (instead of the four) and now my Well Walker isn't registering hits! I feel like some gremlins got in my machine! It was maintenance-free for 10 months, but is now wonky.
Thank you all for reading. At least I don't feel alone in the battle!
-Winston.

The Well Walker #2 and #18 switch in the ball trough are both on the same column in the switch matrix.

WD matrix (resized).JPGWD matrix (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Seems nobody has had this issue in some time, but I am stumped. I have a TWD Premium. It is a four-ball game with micro-switches in the ball trough. My last switch, where the fourth ball would rest if there were none in play (#18) stays lit unless the playfield is tilted in the opposite direction it's supposed to go. I've tried re-seating the connectors. I lack the ability (and tools) to re-solder.
Any ideas? It would be much appreciated. I'll donate $20 to Pinside if someone can save me from calling a tech over!
Cheers from Canada,
Winston.

Quoted from wtuttle:

Hmm, thanks for the idea. I'm going to investigate this in the morning. I just played a game with three balls (instead of the four) and now my Well Walker isn't registering hits! I feel like some gremlins got in my machine! It was maintenance-free for 10 months, but is now wonky.
Thank you all for reading. At least I don't feel alone in the battle!
-Winston.

wtuttle, the first thing I would check is to see if you have a diode on either the trough switch 18 or the well walker that is bent/smooshed causing a short. Get the simple checks out of the way before hiring someone to replace a switch or more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Trade
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-ball-trough-launching-multiple-balls?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.