Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RGR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I'm beside myself as I own three Stern Machines that have received killer code updates in the last few weeks/days- AC/DC Premium, Tron LE, and Avengers Pro. I can't even decide which killer game I want to play next! Couple that with my IM, SM, and LOTR LE, and I don't even feel like leaving the house this weekend!

Gripe on all you want, Stern makes some killer games!

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

I'm beside myself as I own three Stern Machines that have received killer code updates in the last few weeks/days-

Where would you be if they updates didn't happen ?

Glad it worked out for you.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Fun stuff for sure!

#4 11 years ago

Who is writing the code on all those games? Ill bet its Lyman doing it on his own time.

#5 11 years ago

All those games you listed are awesome. I own XMen Wolverine No. 3; potentially another awesome Stern. When it gets it code fixed I will stop griping. Till then I will gripe away because it has been eight months and Stern has broken their promises to us XMen owners.

I do give you a thumbs up though because other than the XMen and TF issues Stern does make great games.

#6 11 years ago

Happy for you Khabbi!

I had 3 games. Sold one that worked 100%, have another that has a dead switch (and an important one) and another that was working 100% until 2 days ago when the flippers started bizarrely randomly flipping on their own, leaving me with nothing to play.

Thus, I will have pinball happiness through you vicariously!

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

On those three games, they were still great/good without the updates.. but the fact they released new code and polished them = awesome.

As a former X-men LE owner, I hope Stern fixes the code as I loved the layout/shots!

#8 11 years ago

I just downloaded 4.1 for Avengers-freakin awesome. I am licking my lips for x-men. All the great updates for Avengers hopefully means X-men update will deliver as well.

#9 11 years ago

This is the stern awesomeness thread so i'll thank them (and cointaker) publicly for sending my Wolverine LE a new improved aux board! plays 100% now
    most people know that the X-Men are superior to the avengers so with new avengers code out hoping to see the muties strike back strong this time!

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

On those three games, they were still great/good without the updates.. but the fact they released new code and polished them = awesome.
    As a former X-men LE owner, I hope Stern fixes the code as I loved the layout/shots!

I own AC/DC Pro and Tron Pro, but X-Men and Avengers weren't on my radar. I haven't played Avengers yet, but have been thinking it might be nice to own one day. How does it stack up against the other two? Will it be a keeper or a game that stands the test of time?

Cheers!
    Adam.

#11 11 years ago

While I can appreciate that many pins are extremely different, and that some people like one style, while someone else prefers a different style, I can't imagine why ANYONE wouldn't enjoy playing AC/DC. Well, unless they hate the band, that is.
    The game is pure awesome.
    At a recent Pin League get-together the other night, with approx 30+ pins to choose from (including MOST of Pinside's Top 20 games), I still wanted to play the new AC/DC that the owner had recently purchased.

Keep up the good work!

#12 11 years ago

Stern go out of busniess and theres no one left to give code updates.. Oh how much fun would that be??? Loving how accepting people are to have to wait YEARS to get a complete game.... How long has Tron been out for again?? Do owners of 9K machines deserve to wait years for a game to be complete??

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Stern go out of busniess and theres no one left to give code updates.. Oh how much fun would that be??? Loving how accepting people are to have to wait YEARS to get a complete game.... How long has Tron been out for again?? Do owners of 9K machines deserve to wait years for a game to be complete??

Or...
    You know how the game plays the day you buy it.
    After that, from time to time the game gets a free upgrade and gets better and better.

Not sure why anyone would "hate on" this concept. Those of us with the pins that were upgraded are thrilled.

Stern-haters are a curious bunch.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

After that, from time to time the game gets a free upgrade and gets better and better.

I'm still waiting for my Fireball update.

#15 11 years ago

Congrats glad your collection just got updated
    Now if only they can get xm polished. Good but needs some work still and agree totally great layout huge potential untapped IMHO.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Who's updating Williams code?

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A WoF or Xmen owner is what he'd be.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from rockinganker:

And who the F is paying 9k for a NIB Stern?

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Or...
    You know how the game plays the day you buy it.
    Not sure why anyone would "hate on" this concept. Those of us with the pins that were upgraded are thrilled.

You are clearly lost. Lol free upgrade... sounds like a bonus hey.... Maybe you would like get your game without the right flipper then wait 6 months for it... Seriously if there was an update but you had to wait 4 years for it you are saying that you would be ok with this???

#20 11 years ago

We pay 9.25K down here for LEs..

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

And who the F is paying 9k for a NIB Stern?

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

You are clearly lost. How do you know how it plays??? Play it on location or at a launch... Lol free upgrade... sounds like a bonus hey.... Maybe you would like get your game without the right flipper then wait 6 months for it... Seriously if there was an update but you had to wait 4 years for it you are saying that you would be ok with this???

Imagine this: I saw the game video and understood the rule set before I bought AC/DC.
    When I got it, it played the way I was expecting it to.
    After the past two updates, it's even better.

Clearly you're the one who's lost. The "I hate Stern" thread is a few posts down.

#23 11 years ago

Stern might not be perfect but they're still the best thing going. Look how many different games they've put out while several unknowns have just taken deposits and produced nothing. All the while bettering those same games with new updates.

#24 11 years ago

Well, that's the thing, in the time we MIGHT get 1 game from a new competitor, Stern will have given us 5-6 new games. Of those 5/6, most of them are excellent. Maybe not all, but they do have the ability to produce great games and do so regularly.

#25 11 years ago

Chambahz, is it possible to expect more from a company that has been around for 60 years??? Is it possible that players deserve more from a company when buying a product???

Dont give me this Stern hating shit. People that are not happy with how a company performs are not haters, they expect to be treated fairly. Waiting years for a game to be complete is not fair. Lol lets play it for a year, then have it change again and again. All the play prior doesnt mean anything... Lets play COD MW3 and wait 1 year for that code to be complete.... Not ONCE would you find a video game incomplete to the level that Stern pinballs are incomplete, failing, flawed by design, cheap etc.

Have a look at the Stern quality poll and let me know what the majority says.. Oh ok yeah they must all be haters with nothing logical to say.... Yeah just ignore them, they have no idea what they are saying... Now getting back to the 2 balls stuck in the cannon issue... Shall I name any more???

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Chambahz, is it possible to expect more from a company that has been around for 60 years??? Is it possible that players deserve more from a company when buying a product???
    Dont give me this Stern hating shit. People that are not happy with how a company performs are not haters, they expect to be treated fairly. Waiting years for a game to be complete is not fair. Lol lets play it for a year, then have it change again and again. All the play prior doesnt mean anything... Lets play COD MW3 and wait 1 year for that code to be complete.... Not ONCE would you find a video game incomplete to the level that Stern pinballs are incomplete, failing, flawed by design, cheap etc.
    Have a look at the Stern quality poll and let me know what the majority says.. Oh ok yeah they must all be haters with nothing logical to say.... Yeah just ignore them, they have no idea what they are saying... Now getting back to the 2 balls stuck in the cannon issue... Shall I name any more???

Well actually, you're welcome to comment on my other thread asking about NIB Stern purchase experiences. So far, I think everyone who's bought one who had commented has said positive stuff. Yes, some issues and complaints, but nothing unresolved long-term, with the exception of Xmen code.

Again, Stern isn't perfect but we seem to be happy with our purchases. That's good enough for me.

#27 11 years ago

I think if I listed the issues with Stern from their last 5 games the post would be longer than the Predator thread... So may things they could be improving but they are not as they are the only "real makers of pinball in the world". In knowing that they know that players will only be buying games off them.... Could it be that they are rushing them out cos the competition is getting close to a release?? With all the new companies making games shortly the market will indicate whether they will stick with Stern...Imo if other companies capitalize on Sterns flaws then they will go back to the days of WOF... Oh wait.....

#28 11 years ago

Well you could try bashing on AC/DC. That's the one I own and it's unbelievable.
    Why is it that I should be disappointed?
    (Not sure you're gonna be able to convince me)

It's cool to disagree though. I wanted to like Twilight Zone and think it might have the best artwork of any pin, but just don't enjoy playing it. To each their own.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

It's cool to disagree though

I totally disagree.

#30 11 years ago

I know, I'm the same way. Monopoly, Nascar and the best of the best, BBH!

#31 11 years ago

Lol well ACDC was a big hit I believe due to the music mainly. Yes the coding was very clever but this is not an issue for the majority of players given that is so hard to play. I think the combination of a very fast game and great music was a success for alot of people.

In short the issues with ACDC are: Still un yet finished code including no encore mode for some 6+ months. The pro version having 3 times more flipper pwoer ( no idea why) making this game almost unplayable. Issues with the plastic cover on the lower playfield, getting marked by the ball resulting in the entire playfield having to be removed if you wanted to change. Inconsistent ball feed from the top saucer upon kickout for super skill shot. Lightening targets initially breaking. 2 ball issue in the cannon. Continuous right ramp shots from the cannon if left un-shot resulting in severe game manipulation as shown by Bowen at PAPA. Drop targets due to poor design will not always go down as are the AC/DC drops from the cannon. Trough issues with kicking out 2 balls due to there not being a switch to inform the game that a ball has been lost. Globes falling off during game play. Cheap LEDs that should not need changing. Thin paint on the lockdown bar and siderails. No knocker in the game. Cannon motor failing resulting in a new design to combat the initial problem.

With regards to issues not concerned with software quality... The games PF is like that of IM, RS, TF.... 2 ramps feeding to same flippers, 1 loop and a centre shot. Boring boring playfield. At the time I lost my shit on the game when they said they were going all out. They could have done alot better. LOTR would be a "going all out game" or lately WOZ... Thats going all out.

Look I am glad that so many people have bought ACDC, however I am getting sick of a company that could be doing so much better for its players and owners. The CONSTANT issues with their games is putting me off so much that I am considering not playing anymore... It just aint fun...

#32 11 years ago

People say they are happy with the game.... sure. But they have not had these on location and given that these games are in their homes they will not be breaking down as much as they should be..

#33 11 years ago

That's too bad... I'd rather play a pin with all those issues than no pin at all.

#34 11 years ago

I have had to deal with replacing bulbs for LEDs but honestly, you've listed a lot of initial issues that have already been corrected. Nothing major in my opinion and I'm not sure why people keep clinging to those early, already resolved issues.
    I can't be alone either as the game currently ranks 12 on here and many have said it's the best game ever.
    I understand that when you buy a NIB, just out of the gate pin, there may be some issues to resolve.
    Not perfect, but I would rather have now and wait for perfection instead of waiting til it's done.

In the last few months since owning my pin, I'd say it's only getting more and more fun -and to me, it was awesome on day 1 (well, frustratingly tough until I got it dialed in properly, truth be told).

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

But they have not had these on location and given that these games are in their homes they will not be breaking down as much as they should be..

Mine has been on location since I opened the box. Over 3 months and 0 issues.

#36 11 years ago

Just installing the new code now, and pottering about in the half hour it takes to update. Looks like no big changes but I'm looking foward to the new stuff. The cannon fix will be interesting although I did like getting two balls in there. Hey RGR, no need to consider not playing any more, just don't play 'unfinished' games?

#37 11 years ago

lol Dirtydeeds.... Yeah well that is the case with TF, Xmen, Tron (ACDC only cos I had too) and Avengers... I am not playing them at all now. LOTR super game and will continue to play it. SM not a bad game and continue to play that as well. But due to the coding issues with the last 5 games released I am just not interested in playing them until they are complete... If theres a comp sure, but for pleasure I would still rather hit up games like STTNG, HS2, TAF, Jackbot etc etc.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

lol Dirtydeeds.... Yeah well that is the case with TF, Xmen, Tron (ACDC only cos I had too) and Avengers... I am not playing them at all now. LOTR super game and will continue to play it. SM not a bad game and continue to play that as well. But due to the coding issues with the last 5 games released I am just not interested in playing them until they are complete... If theres a comp sure, but for pleasure I would still rather hit up games like STTNG, HS2, TAF, Jackbot etc etc.

Then sell them and move on.

#39 11 years ago

I am a Williams Bally Fan but a SM fell into my collection by accident when I bought out a local operators games . ( the one I really wanted was the MB which was part of the buyout) Anyway I shopped out Spiderman even though it seemed to have very few plays. It came out of the back of a dark non smoking bar and it now looks brand new! I have played this think more than the MB and I can't seem to leave it alone! I have had it a while now and last night I finally updated it's game code from the (original) to the final Lyman Sheets finished code, and WOW what a machine it is now! Remember I am a Williams/Bally fan boy (look at my collection) and I must say Stern is Awesome! I am greatful that we as collectors/players still have Stern building games that are avail. to buy or just play at a show if you cannot afford one.

Just my two cents,
    Rob

#40 11 years ago

I just wish there was a pinny joint near here...

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

Then sell them and move on.

I dont own any... I just play..

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

So are Stern Fanboys

Ford - Chevy
    Coke - Pepsi
    B/W - Stern

Never going to change.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from rockinganker:

Cameron did the CV update post Williams I believe. Didn't Ted Este's TZ 9.4 come out post Williams demise ?

#44 11 years ago

Were there any drastic changes??? STTNG had their final frontier updated from 100 mill to 250 mill max but heck they did have their wizard mode included..

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

So are Stern Fanboys
    Ford - Chevy
    Coke - Pepsi
    B/W - Stern
    Never going to change.

Yeah, except that for some reason, I can enjoy them both without feeling the need to tell Williams owners that they're wrong for liking Williams.

#46 11 years ago

Lol dont think you are listening to what I am saying... I didnt say there was a problem with people liking ACDC, I said I am happy with that. Of course when there are any issues people always take it personally when they have not "interest" in the company. You asked me to list the issues and I did. People can say that STTNG and TZ are the worst games out there... ok fine, no reason for me to take it personally but if there are issues with games I will direct them at Stern, not the owners of the games..

#47 11 years ago

Agreed. My not liking TZ isn't an insult to you, nor does it mean that TZ isn't a great game. It's just not my thing.
    With AC/DC though, what are the current problems that I'm not seeing?

Oh; and I wasn't referring to you in the last thread.

Edit: although you DID decide to post anti-Stern comments in the Stern is Awesome thread...
    : )

#48 11 years ago

Lol true, sorry to put a dampner on it, but the issue is that I stopped playing pinball in the late 90s. Given that there is the technology one would think that pinball makers would have the ability to make more innovative games. Given that I loved* pinball so much it annoys the hell out of me not seeing this. JJP has had the balls to implement this and going by the quality and attention to detail in their games it makes me think could Stern have not have done this??? I have the feeling that they have everyone by the short and curlies so to speak.

I am def not against pinball growing but there could be so many improvements.

#49 11 years ago

Well let's hold off on praising JJP at least until they release the first pin.
    I don't know much about the WOZ cause it's not my theme but I was under the impression that they're close to shipping out and the code is still pretty rough.
    Are you thinking that it'll be 100% right out of the gate?

#50 11 years ago

Lol well I have played it and from what I *have* seen its a dam better improvement of what has been coming out lately. Sure it will not be 100%, however I do not think that it will be a game where we will still be seeing updates 2 years down the track nor do I believe that it will be missing chunks of code/modes. The other factor to take into consideration is that this is a new company. If a new company can make a game like this why cant Stern come anywhere near it??? Its a choice imo, given they were the only ones in the market why goto so much when they know people do not have a choice to buy them off anyone else?? Interesting how they have started to make changes now that JJP is on the scene. Theres no way that they would have bothered to release an LCD game if JJP didnt have theirs on the way. God that annoys me... Also Garys excuse for not having a wide body cos he couldnt find that special piece of wood... Come on WTF is that shit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-awesomeness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.