75 days ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 71 days ago by Captainhook
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F8048F86-A3D8-49BD-8264-FB2D04AACC3B (resized).jpeg
    b6c1a1ab3e547a893ab92be9282a0c9ce13789dd (resized).jpg
    20200418_102028 (resized).jpg
    DD6FD2D2-585B-488E-BA55-410FF6A3C0D5 (resized).jpeg
    6B2E679A-51F5-4DA4-9518-B42DA3A10F10 (resized).jpeg
    31654818-A06D-4E89-B8E9-98C927F24318 (resized).jpeg

#1 75 days ago

Seeking some help from all you excellent people. Something is up with my Ghostbusters auto-plunger. The mech is shared across multiple games and I’ve read some previous posts but I’m still struggling.

The power is weak and will not make it up the ramp most of the time. About 20% of the time it launches fine. If it has to launch repeatedly during multi-ball, it will never have enough power and all balls collect in the lane.

I’ve tried/investigated:
    Coil stop- not mushroomed. Also Hard to replace as it’s tied to the entire mech bracket.
    Coil - replaced. No change.
    Switch to trigger ball launch looks acts fine.
    Mech moves freely. Nothing is binding. Tried a different spring but no change.
    Tried multiple adjustments of ball contact points on the auto plunger with no change.

Thoughts or recommendations?

31654818-A06D-4E89-B8E9-98C927F24318 (resized).jpeg
    #2 75 days ago

Does the manual shooter rod work normally?

Any chance you have a cliffy on the shooter lane. I’ve had the same problem when one gets out of alignment and the ball Hangs up on it.

#3 75 days ago

Thanks for the reply. No Cliffy on the shooter lane and shooter rod works fine. It’s not inhibiting the auto-plunge in any way.

#4 75 days ago

Check to see if both fingers of the auto plunge are hitting the ball squarely so it sends the ball out straight. Next check the lane guide of the ball launch to make sure it’s not effecting the trajectory and adjust if needed.

#5 75 days ago

Is the plunger bracket bent? I’ve got an AFMr on route. Same problem. Manually works fine. It’s smooth. Everything looks good. Then I notice the bracket is bent. Doesn’t seem like much but I straighten it by hand, and it makes the launch 100% of the time.

#6 75 days ago

yuriijos
    The fingers look good and I’ve tried to bend them a bit but no change depending on how they are aligned. Both are flush with the ball. Lane looks clear but I’m going to check that again.

ryanbrooks
    You’re talking about the hanging bracket holding the coil and mech? Where would I look for a bend?

Thanks guys. This game has been unplayable for the last week or two while I’ve been messing with this and waiting for the replacement coil (which didn’t help).

#7 75 days ago

I'm having the same problem on my Bksor. It worked fine until this lockdown we've had. I've taken everything apart cleaned it and replaced the coil sleeve, now sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The power is maxed out.

#8 75 days ago

I feel your pain. Maxing our the power doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. I even reflashed the code just to try something different.

#9 75 days ago

It really becomes a pain in the butt when you get six multi balls going.

#10 75 days ago

Check if shooter rod tip is centered in-between forks of plunger and not close to either side. You said you changed coil but did sleeve get replaced? Sometimes just cleaning inside the sleeve with 90% alcohol with a piece of scotch-brite pad and also the plunger rod will make a big difference.

#11 75 days ago

Check to see if there’s a crack in this anywhere.
    6B2E679A-51F5-4DA4-9518-B42DA3A10F10 (resized).jpeg. I’ve had a couple of these go from cracked to totally broken within a few games.

#12 75 days ago

Wow! What a pita this thing is. It’s a seriously finicky mech.

I think I fixed it... after some bending and tweaking, what seems to have made all the difference is having the plunger force the ball about 1/8-3/4 ahead of the forks. The ball seems to have been coming back towards the mech a bit too far and sometimes conflicting with how the switch was being triggered.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

DD6FD2D2-585B-488E-BA55-410FF6A3C0D5 (resized).jpeg
    #13 75 days ago

SMH. Spoke too soon. Still having the same problem. It really seems like a coil power issue... going to investigate the switch further.

#14 75 days ago
    Quoted from ShooterMcD:

Wow! What a pita this thing is. It’s a seriously finicky mech.
    I think I fixed it... after some bending and tweaking, what seems to have made all the difference is having the plunger force the ball about 1/8-3/4 ahead of the forks. The ball seems to have been coming back towards the mech a bit too far and sometimes conflicting with how the switch was being triggered.
    Hope this helps someone else out there.[quoted image]

Forks should be touching the ball and not as spread out, surprised your not having issues still but if it's working now then I would just leave it.

20200418_102028 (resized).jpg
    #15 75 days ago

If you have any velcro with the sticky backing, you can cut a small piece and put it between bottom of playfield and where linkage contacts it making the forks not rest so far back like yours are. See the picture in post #11, area I'm talking about is to the far left of the circle in the picture.

#16 75 days ago

I had a similar problem on my Family Guy, that auto plunge would work erratic, the washer around the shooter rod next to the spring was beat up, it would bind on the rod and hold it in too far after the manual plunge and keep the ball too far ahead.

#17 75 days ago

Here's a picture of the area I'm talking about and the thread it came from.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-please-acdc-autofire-plunger-getting-weaker-and-weaker

b6c1a1ab3e547a893ab92be9282a0c9ce13789dd (resized).jpg
    #18 75 days ago

Ok. Thanks for all the help guys.

I bent the forks in quite a bit and also used the felt/Velcro trick. Seems to back in business for now. I played about 3 full games without an issue.

Still seems crazy to me the way this mech has so much slop in it and little tweaks can have such a big effect.

#19 74 days ago

I still can't get mine to work consistent.

#20 71 days ago

I was asked to post a picture. Hope this helps.

F8048F86-A3D8-49BD-8264-FB2D04AACC3B (resized).jpeg
    #21 71 days ago
    Quoted from ShooterMcD:

Mech moves freely. Nothing is binding. Tried a different spring but no change.

I had something similar happen. first time I looked everything checked out, worked perfectly. Then someone said it was messing again up a week later, I checked it and found a screw that was somewhat loose causing it to bind every so often.

#22 71 days ago

There was an older post about this problem, What is holding your shooter spring on?
    The problem on the old post was that the e-clip stuck out just enough that it impeded the auto plunger.

#23 71 days ago

There are two bushings on the pivot point. I had issues with mine, inspection showed the bushings were: 1. worn. 2. the other shot. Replaced them both and bought extra spares. 545-5352-00 NYLINER, 3/16" SHAFT, 545-5423-00 NYLINER, 1/4" SHAFT, 4L1-FF

#24 71 days ago

Adding velcro, bending the bracket so it touches the ball evenly on both sides seems to be working so far. Thank you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 43.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 215.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 11.95
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.99
    Tools
    PinShield
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside