(Topic ID: 185475)

Stern Attending Star Wars Celebration 2017?

By PinballZach

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

getaway (resized).jpg
    RitchieFaceBook (resized).png
    IMG_2785 (resized).PNG
    IMG_3094 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpg
    49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f (resized).jpg
    luke eyes.gif
    insurrection (resized).JPG
    20170413_141502 (resized).jpg
    20170413_123902 (resized).jpg
    F80EAC4C-5275-4EB7-8985-BDFC357B3EFD-3792-0000020BC22EE425 (resized).jpeg
    20170413_122210 (resized).jpg
    0000000000000000 (resized).png
    20170413_120104 (resized).jpg
    20170413_115624 (resized).jpg
    20170413_113639 (resized).jpg
    There are 515 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

it won;t sell to non pinheads I wouldn;t think

metallica has been popular to non "pin heads".

#152 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jojo1111:

As a player, collector, operator, and overall pinhead, I hope the rumor is true and Stern DOES announce this game at Celebration.
    That said, wasn't this idea attempted before? And didn't it fail then? Has everyone forgotten Celebration 1 in 1999? Williams went and unveiled SW EP1 to the crowd and few if any noticed? And weren't those the apparent Star Wars super fans you guys are talking about? Don't think that reveal helped save that game's fate much. IS it going to be different now?
    http://www.theforce.net/episode1/story/TPM_Pinball_80345.asp

Who said few noticed? What didn't happen was a bunch talk about the game from Star Wars attendees to the pinball community.

Well, things are different now. Pinball is actually in a better place than it was in 1999. The internet is more widespread too, with social media, so that kind of secret would be impossible to keep now.

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

There is no way in hell this will happen. He's not very down to Earth from what I've heard.

Harrison Ford is actually VERY down to Earth...when he's flying. And he usually lands in the wrong spot.

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

This could very well happen ... he's a great voice actor and very down to Earth from what I've heard.

Agreed. Hamill is almost as well known for his Joker voice work as he is for Luke Skywalker. He carved out a nice post Star Wars voice career for himself to pay the bills all these years. Custom Hamill callouts on a new Star Wars pin would be awesome.... which is exactly why Stern will F it up & not pay him. Proven track record on these types of things.

#155 7 years ago

I'm more worried that they won't obtain the license for the music and/or actors voices from the movies.

I have full confidence that Steve Ritchie will make an awesome and fun shooting game. And that Dwight will make the code amazing. The art, music and voices have me somewhat concerned. I really hope Stern obtained the licenses and didn't cheap out like Avengers.

#156 7 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

metallica has been popular to non "pin heads".

Has it? Sales to non pin peeps? Asking I have no idea.

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Who said few noticed? What didn't happen was a bunch talk about the game from Star Wars attendees to the pinball community.
    Well, things are different now. Pinball is actually in a better place than it was in 1999. The internet is more widespread too, with social media, so that kind of secret would be impossible to keep now.

Star Wars is probably in a better place now too.

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Has it? Sales to non pin peeps? Asking I have no idea.

Yes. Metallica and ACDC sales popular to non pin heads. Both Pins best sellers. Stern do not release the numbers so we will never know how good!

#159 7 years ago

7 days until we know why the heck Stern has a booth at the SW celebration.
    If it's to reveal this rumor of a SW pin then I'm in.

I've got my $$ ready for a premium, don't care. I'm in. Star Wars + Pinball = My family.

#160 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Yes. Metallica and ACDC sales popular to non pin heads. Both Pins best sellers. Stern do not release the numbers so we will never know how good!

Well I know it's a big seller, but whether it's getting actual non pinhead business is what's hard to quantify. Met is asuch a great game though

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

I've got my $$ ready for a premium, don't care. I'm in. Star Wars + Pinball = My family.

I've got my monies on a pro...that way if I like the premium i can sell it and pick when the premiums finally come around to be sold.

#162 7 years ago

Original trilogy based.

Star Wars pin gets released at celebration.

4 magnets taking ball up the PF at warp speed!

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Original trilogy based.

Warp 9.1?

Up the playfield inside some kind of mech/ramp? Or sliding along the playfield?

#164 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

O lord he's redoing NF now eh?

#165 7 years ago

Warp speed? I think you guys are supposed to be in the star trek thread instead. Lol. I can't wait for next week.

#166 7 years ago

Like a huge supercharger mech (HS2 Getaway style)

How about really F ing fast instead of "warp speed"

#167 7 years ago

Uff I hope not...Supercharger doesn't do much for gameplay. WE shall see though

#168 7 years ago

It's 'jumping into hyperspace' not 'warp speeding'. But close enough.

#169 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Original trilogy based.

Warp speed?? Really??

Star Wars uses hyper drives that get the ships up to light speed.

#170 7 years ago

Jesus christ guys...way to make a goddamn Star Wars thread even nerdier

#171 7 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Warp 9.1?
    Up the playfield inside some kind of mech/ramp? Or sliding along the playfield?

Nascar re-theme? The outer loop from Nascar is now the "Hyperspace loop"! The car is gone and replaced with an X-Wing. Super LE for $15k! Jeez I hope not, lol.

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Harrison Ford is actually VERY down to Earth...when he's flying. And he usually lands in the wrong spot.

ihfdt (resized).jpgihfdt (resized).jpg

#173 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff I hope not...Supercharger doesn't do much for gameplay. WE shall see though

If that's being done right on the playfield, it won't do much for the clearcoat and paint job. Mylar, anybody???

#174 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

If that's being done right on the playfield, it won't do much for the clearcoat and paint job. Mylar, anybody???

You need to think outside the box once the clearcoat chips and is worn away it will create a trench for trench run wizard mode

#175 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Nascar re-theme? The outer loop from Nascar is now the "Hyperspace loop"! The car is gone and replaced with an X-Wing. Super LE for $15k! Jeez I hope not, lol.

That was a Lawlor pin. This is supposedly Ritchie, so very unlikely.

#176 7 years ago

Can't wait till everyone has to make a video of themselves acting out their favorite scene from Rogue One to get on the preorder list. LOL!!!

Kidding of course -- hope its a good one..

#177 7 years ago

I do hope we get something like a sneaky flyer leak or something like that, before the Celebration starts. I love when that happens.

#178 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Very true! 1999 pinball crashed and burned. It was a dying breed. The common folk people just lost all interest in playing. Jump forward to 2017 the pinball reassurance is at an all time high since then.

#179 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Original trilogy based.

Is this fact, or wishful thinking? Hope it is true.

#180 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I know it's a big seller, but whether it's getting actual non pinhead business is what's hard to quantify. Met is asuch a great game though

My non-pin friend bought a Metallica. He didn't have any pinball machines, but is a Metallica mega fan. I also know a ton of guys in the arcade scene who didn't have pins, and Tron was their first since they love Tron so much. Some themes make non-pin peeps want the pin.

#181 7 years ago
    Quoted from LewisD:

Is this fact, or wishful thinking? Hope it is true.

Well I'd say its very solid speculation

I can't say its fact because I haven't seen it myself but I understand the plan for quite some time was to release Star Wars in April and the celebration event should be the perfect launch. Did it change? Don't know, but the original trilogy and "hyper drive" mech is solid speculation!

They still have Elvira, Pulp Fiction and Iron Maiden to go this year, plus a VE thrown in

#182 7 years ago

Maybe it's all to do with the production delays Stern has had with the new factory/playfield QC issues. The Star Wars convention was most likely organized 12-18 months ago, at which time Stern had originally scheduled Star Wars to be released / in production, and booked a stall to promote it. Since then things have changed, production schedules have been blown out, and Star Wars has been pushed back. But someone forgot to cancel the Star Wars booth. Or the convention organizers forgot to update their schedule.

#183 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Some themes make non-pin peeps want the pin.

I hope you steered your other non pin fans away from GB

#184 7 years ago

Is anyone here going to the celebration? Does anyone know anyone going to the celebration?
    We're just a bunch of nerds waiting for the cool nerds to give us a peek.

#185 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I hope you steered your other non pin fans away from GB

I have! A couple hardcore Ghostbusters fan friends - they were all excited to get one - when I cancelled my order and told them why, they lost interest.

#186 7 years ago

SO,you all think that Walt Disney Studios,who now own all the licenses to SW,is just going to let Stern Build a pin?? Go to Walmart online toy store,put in pinball toys,and bingo,there is the new Star wars pin!!$79.95!!! A TOY!!! And yes,Darth Vader is on the head of it!! Have fun! I play mine freakwently!!!

#187 7 years ago

Dead Flip is going to be live streaming from the Stern factory tonight....showing "something we have never seen played." Seems a little odd for Stern to debut a brand new game on a live stream. Maybe a prototype white wood?

#188 7 years ago
    Quoted from LewisD:

Dead Flip is going to be live streaming from the Stern factory tonight....showing "something we have never seen played." Seems a little odd for Stern to debut a brand new game on a live stream. Maybe a prototype white wood?

Yeah I wouldn't get too excited about this. Take it as what he wrote, literally, but don't expect a brand new game or something.

#189 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

OK, not down to Earth, but more into the Earth .... Fly yes, land no!.

#190 7 years ago
    Quoted from LewisD:

Maybe it's just a GOT premium without orbit issues, or a GB without ghosted inserts. Never seen those played before.

#191 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Maybe it's just a GOT premium without orbit issues, or a GB without ghosted inserts. Never seen those played before.

Or maybe the elusive Kiss code update.

#192 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Plenty of perfectly good GB's out there with no ghosting....

Like mine, my buddies, my local arcade.

Face it, only GOT has a systemic issue.

#193 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Plenty of perfectly good GB's out there with no ghosting....
    Like mine, my buddies, my local arcade.
    Face it, only GOT has a systemic issue.

I'm sorry. You're right. I meant the stale code on GB.

#194 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm sorry. You're right. I meant the stale code on GB.

LOL!

Dwight did both of ours....he'll come through.

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

LOL!
    Dwight did both of ours....he'll come through.

He's too busy on SW. What's done is done.

#196 7 years ago

FWIW - my Ghostbusters Premium had no ghosting or other clearcoat issues. My GOTLE has no ghosting issues. Code on GOTLE is fantastic IMO and was so upon release. Personally I think the QC issues at STERN are blown out of proportion here on this overly sensitive site where the complainers complain loud and often. I am optimistic that Star Wars will be sound right out of the box. I doubt it will be perfect, but that's part of the pinball process.

#197 7 years ago
    Quoted from LewisD:

Aerosmith super duper limited run DMC edition.

#198 7 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

FWIW - my Ghostbusters Premium had no ghosting or other clearcoat issues. My GOTLE has no ghosting issues. Code on GOTLE is fantastic IMO and was so upon release. Personally I think the QC issues at STERN are blown out of proportion here on this overly sensitive site where the complainers complain loud and often. I am optimistic that Star Wars will be sound right out of the box. I doubt it will be perfect, but that's part of the pinball process.

GoT has the orbit issue that was never fixed. That's not overblown QC. There's NO WAY they couldn't have known left orbits were a problem if they played the game even casually. It totally ruined Martell. And Stern's fix? To disable left orbit in the code and call it "as designed", which still didn't fix the orbit itself, but made it so it didn't kill the rules.

#199 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

He's too busy on SW. What's done is done.

Nah. There will be one more big GB update.

#200 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

GoT has the orbit issue that was never fixed. That's not overblown QC. There's NO WAY they couldn't have known left orbits were a problem if they played the game even casually. It totally ruined Martell. And Stern's fix? To disable left orbit in the code and call it "as designed", which still didn't fix the orbit itself, but made it so it didn't kill the rules.

This is correct, and it should have never happened. But at the end of the day, it was an adjustment of the diverter by about 1/16th of an inch that solved the problem. Some smart guys figured it out and it took me 15 minutes of removal, drilling, and reinstallation to fix. (After a whole day tearing it apart to try a mod to fix it.)

But it IS a 15 minute fix. Problem is, Stern should have figured it out and fixed it in later runs. Instead, they just wimped out and disabled it in the code, saying it was always intended to be that way.

Bull. Shit.

There are 515 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-attending-star-wars-celebration-2017/page/4?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.