(Topic ID: 185475)

Stern Attending Star Wars Celebration 2017?

By PinballZach

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

getaway (resized).jpg
    RitchieFaceBook (resized).png
    IMG_2785 (resized).PNG
    IMG_3094 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpg
    49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f (resized).jpg
    luke eyes.gif
    insurrection (resized).JPG
    20170413_141502 (resized).jpg
    20170413_123902 (resized).jpg
    F80EAC4C-5275-4EB7-8985-BDFC357B3EFD-3792-0000020BC22EE425 (resized).jpeg
    20170413_122210 (resized).jpg
    0000000000000000 (resized).png
    20170413_120104 (resized).jpg
    20170413_115624 (resized).jpg
    20170413_113639 (resized).jpg
    There are 515 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
    #1 7 years ago

Star Wars Celebration is in a few weeks, I've heard the rumors of Star Wars being one of the next Stern games, so I just decided to search the exhibitors list and found Stern to be one.

#4 7 years ago

No chance they reveal a game is there? Seems way to soon.

#5 7 years ago

It's not much of a secret that Stern is working on Star Wars, and what better time to give a little peek?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Complete guess, but I would imagine they'll have a table there, probably not complete code but something for the announcement.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from comment23:

Complete guess, but I would imagine they'll have a table there, probably not complete code but something for the announcement.

What are the odds of them releasing images or having a table to show already this soon after AS? I hope they do, but it's hard to imagine any sort of reveal. I don't know why else they would have a booth though.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Not if Steve and Lyman's game pops up in May.

LTG : )

#10 7 years ago

They must be there for a reveal or at the very least an official announcement for the game, there's no reason for Stern to be at a dedicated Star Wars convention if they don't. I'm going to say they bring a game for people to play as I don't see just an announcement generating that much excitement at this type of non pinball themed event.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rasavage:

Teaser in the background?

Yup. No idea if Gary knew it was there. But neat teaser.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

What are the odds of them releasing images or having a table to show already this soon after AS? I hope they do, but it's hard to imagine any sort of reveal. I don't know why else they would have a booth though.

B66 and AS were announced within, what, 2-3 months of each other? If SW gets announced in April for a June shipment, I think that's feasible.

#13 7 years ago

Im excited

#14 7 years ago

I'm pretty excited about this. I really hope it's happening then, and that it's not a let down. I have confidence it will be good based off last few Stern releases. Hopefully we'll see soon.

#15 7 years ago

Oh man. High hopes for this one. Original trilogy please!

#16 7 years ago

Wow...they can really expand the pinball market announcing it there.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Oh man. High hopes for this one. Original trilogy please!

My thoughts is that it will be original trilogy or Rogue One. I don't think they would make a pin just on Ep7/Ep8 (with Ep9 not in production yet). It seems manufacturers have waited till the end of a trilogy before making a pin (LOTR and the Hobbit come to mind).

#18 7 years ago

I don't think it's even a question that it will be original trilogy based. Stern isn't stupid. They know what everyone wants, and they want to sell a bunch. Without a doubt it's the original trilogy. They even knew that with GB. They got it right then and will again with SW.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I don't think it's even a question that it will be original trilogy based. Stern isn't stupid. They know what everyone wants, and they want to sell a bunch. Without a doubt it's the original trilogy. They even knew that with GB. They got it right then and will again with SW.

In a couple years they can make a new trilogy pin.

It's like they are just printing money.

#20 7 years ago

I can't wait for this! They better have a Pro model in the $5-6K price range.

#21 7 years ago

I will be keeping an eye out for this booth for sure. Booth: 2825

20170403_052811 (resized).jpg20170403_052811 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

Do vendors show up to promote non-Star Wars stuff?

The timing of this just doesn't add up. Seems too soon.

I mean, I've been wrong before, but in the end it doesn't help Stern to promote their next title too early if it isn't ready for production.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Seems like a great time to announce and suck up a bunch of the dollars that were going to go to Houdini, Dialed In, AFMr, and Alien.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I mean, I've been wrong before, but in the end it doesn't help Stern to promote their next title too early if it isn't ready for production.

Maybe they are ready for production.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Do vendors show up to promote non-Star Wars stuff? . . .

I have attended a few different Star Wars Celebrations in the past.
    Yes, sometimes a vendor who sells similar things will show up with items like comic books, toys and the such and wont even have a stitch of the topic of the event their at.
    Its entirely possible Stern is just banking on the fact there are a bunch of us Sci-Fi geeks that may enjoy pinball so they are bringing their goods to show them off. Maybe they don't even have a physical machine to show off and they are showing concept art?
    This show is typically where the trailer for the new movie is shown, so its possible for a Last Jedi tie in.
    I would think if I were Stern I would have been advertising the world premiere of a special surprise to be unveiled at Star Wars Celebration. They are the masters of dropping hints after all, aren't they?

#29 7 years ago

bad news for my wallet.

#30 7 years ago

Anything is possible. If the game is based on the original trilogy they have had plenty of time to design the game. No spoiler alerts on characters or storyline. The only thing they had to do was incorporate video for the new display. So it's very possible they may have a game ready to go. This game has been rumored for almost 2 years.

Now I am not sure it makes sense to release it so quick after BM66 and AS. Could hurt sales on those titles. But at the same time BM66 was rushed to production bumping AS. AS was leaked very early on and we had pictures of artwork almost 6 months before the games was officially released. They had to get it out the door. Additionally I don't think they anticipated AS to be the next AC/DC or Met. Go read the threads and you can see most people like Aerosmith but we're very unsure about buying one. After most people have now seen/played Aerosmith it's seems to be a much better game and it's probably gonna do just fine.

And as someone already said there are several choices coming such as AFMr, Alien, AC, and possibly Houdini. If Stern drops Star Wars this will be the 3rd title with LCD display in basically 6 months and all can be had now....no waiting. Majority of people will buy what they can have today. So many have been burned on preorders and are tired of waiting. Will be interesting to see if/when SW is released.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It depends, if Stern decided to do a Rogue One pinball and surprise us all, the bluray is coming out tomorrow! which would add up to this timeline.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

It depends, if Stern decided to do a Rogue One pinball and surprise us all, the bluray is coming out tomorrow! which would add up to this timeline.

As much as I liked Rogue One, I think that would be a disappointment if Stern released that as the new Star Wars pin.

#33 7 years ago

Steve's been working on this since before GOT was announced in September 2015, I think. And if they announce it or show a prototype in Orlando, that doesn't necessarily mean they have to start shipping them until later this year. It's just to advertise and get more sales from Star Wars nerds.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's just to advertise and get more sales from Star Wars nerds.

This is often said, but really how often does a superfan "outside of pinball" spontaneously buy a pinball machine because they like the theme?

I can see superfans dropping quarters or dollars into a machine on location, but it takes a special type of person to buy something the value of a pinball machine.

To me, there is very little potential of selling pinball machines to people outside the hobby. It comes down to existing pinheads who buy crazy shit already, and operators where a hot license can mean more coin drop.

I think the KISS Army not buying up the KISSs confirmed for me that there isn't much potential, if at all.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I saw it laying around so I threw it in the background, kinda crafty.

#36 7 years ago

If it's Rogue One, I'm out.

I think advertising to non-pinheads is smart. I would say it's safe to assume that an overwhelming majority of Star Wars fans are into Star Wars games.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

This is often said, but really how often does a superfan "outside of pinball" spontaneously buy a pinball machine because they like the theme?
    I can see superfans dropping quarters or dollars into a machine on location, but it takes a special type of person to buy something the value of a pinball machine.
    To me, there is very little potential of selling pinball machines to people outside the hobby. It comes down to existing pinheads who buy crazy shit already, and operators where a hot license can mean more coin drop.
    I think the KISS Army not buying up the KISSs confirmed for me that there isn't much potential, if at all.

Star Wars fans are a whole different breed. I think they're superfans on an entirely different level from KISS fans. Just look at the ultra expensive VIP tickets for the show that have already sold out, and the fact that people will most likely be showing up in costume for this one (which is why I'll be steering clear). I think they'll buy a pin...especially when you consider what they'll pay for rare toys and collectibles.

EDIT: KISS is also a dying franchise, which is why they don't sell out stadiums anymore (and they don't even have all the real members). Once Disney bought the Star Wars franchise, they made it a hot ticket again.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Star Wars fans are a whole different breed. I think they're superfans on an entirely different level from KISS fans. Just look at the ultra expensive VIP tickets for the show that have already sold out, and the fact that people will most likely be showing up in costume for this one (which is why I'll be steering clear). I think they'll buy a pin...especially when you consider what they'll pay for rare toys and collectibles.
    EDIT: KISS is also a dying franchise, which is why they don't sell out stadiums anymore (and they don't even have all the real members). Once Disney bought the Star Wars franchise, they made it a hot ticket again.

I was programmed at a young age to only care about Star Wars.

I'll never forget when I was in the 3rd grade, Disney had opened up Star Tours in California. I begged my mom to take me to Disneyland just to go on that ride. I was always told no and that Disney World was better.

When we finally made it to Disney World for Christmas 1989, I remember watching the Disney World TV channel in the room the night before we went into the parks, where it shows all the rides. They kept showing the Death Star run from the ride. Needless to say, the next day when we finally go to the parks, we do MGM first and go straight to Star Tours. I was in heaven.

Rex (on the death star run) "I always wanted to do this."
    Me: "Me too!!!!!"

I've ridden Star Tours at Disney World, Disneyland and Euro Disney. What's interesting about the Euro Disney version, is the pilot spoke French, but C3PO and Red Leader spoke English (original version).

The latest thing I've read about Star Wars Land, is that Disney may charge an additional $95 on top of the park ticket just to enter Star Wars Land...and people will pay it...including this one.

#39 7 years ago

I met a Star Wars superfan once who had about $40k in merch. I was pretty shocked to hear that at the time.

The irony is I may very well buy a Star Wars LE pin at a moment's notice.

#40 7 years ago

Feeling my wallet getting lighter, I am.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Heck, he had no idea HE was there.

#42 7 years ago

They can just bring some Star Trek machines to it. I mean hey, what's the difference?

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

They can just bring some Star Trek machines to it. I mean hey, what's the difference?

Yeah and it's better than the last Star Wars game that came out... .. .

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I was programmed at a young age to only care about Star Wars.
    I'll never forget when I was in the 3rd grade, Disney had opened up Star Tours in California. I begged my mom to take me to Disneyland just to go on that ride. I was always told no and that Disney World was better.
    When we finally made it to Disney World for Christmas 1989, I remember watching the Disney World TV channel in the room the night before we went into the parks, where it shows all the rides. They kept showing the Death Star run from the ride. Needless to say, the next day when we finally go to the parks, we do MGM first and go straight to Star Tours. I was in heaven.
    Rex (on the death star run) "I always wanted to do this."
    Me: "Me too!!!!!"
    I've ridden Star Tours at Disney World, Disneyland and Euro Disney. What's interesting about the Euro Disney version, is the pilot spoke French, but C3PO and Red Leader spoke English (original version).
    The latest thing I've read about Star Wars Land, is that Disney may charge an additional $95 on top of the park ticket just to enter Star Wars Land...and people will pay it...including this one.

And that was my point, exactly.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

You would be surprised at how many would by a Star Wars pin. Heck I bought my LOTR pin from original owner with less then 300 plays over a 10 year period. He was a fan of the movie, only pin he ever owned. Couldn't tell you how many pins I pulled out of people's houses the were one pin and done. A lot of people just want one pin and have no clue about collecting. Add in there favorite theme and it's a no brainer. Plus look at the age group of the original trio movies. Late 40's 50's. majority have some disposable income. Throw in a son or grandson that also likes the movie and bam! You got a sale. Yeah, there are already other Star Wars pins made but I'm pretty sure most one and done owners would rather buy that brand spanking new game that they believe will last for years and have warranty.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

You would be surprised at how many would by a Star Wars pin. Heck I bought my LOTR pin from original owner with less then 300 plays over a 10 year period. He was a fan of the movie, only pin he ever owned. Couldn't tell you how many pins I pulled out of people's houses the were one pin and done. A lot of people just want one pin and have no clue about collecting. Add in there favorite theme and it's a no brainer. Plus look at the age group of the original trio movies. Late 40's 50's. majority have some disposable income. Throw in a son or grandson that also likes the movie and bam! You got a sale. Yeah, there are already other Star Wars pins made but I'm pretty sure most one and done owners would rather buy that brand spanking new game that they believe will last for years and have warranty.

I don't own any of the Star Wars pins because I find them all to be a POS.

Now we get Steve Ritchie, whom I believe has just hit it out of the park since he returned to Stern and the SPIKE 2 system.

#47 7 years ago

I know SW is a Ritchie design but is Lyman coding it?

Wow, with the new screen, Stern would have a massive hit!

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Now we get Steve Ritchie, whom I believe has just hit it out of the park since he returned to Stern

Huge. He has made some awesome games since coming back.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

and the SPIKE 2 system.

Not so huge. I'm just not impressed by it. Whitestar was awesome, SAM was amazing. Spike, not so much in my eyes.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I know SW is a Ritchie design but is Lyman coding it?
    Wow, with the new screen, Stern would have a massive hit!

Doubt it. He is doing batman and a long way to go on that pin.
    I'm guessing dwight. Look forward to scoring less than 50 million in 90‰ of games. And
    sometimes scoring 4 billion from some random multipliers I got from a pop bumper award.
    Or a triple super jackpot screamed at me for 3 million points.

#50 7 years ago

I've never bought a NIB machine, just too many other things to spend money on.

A new Star Wars Original Trilogy machine that played well, might be the only new pin my wife would not give me a hard time about. I'm probably not alone in that scenario. That would be my holy grail pin, hers would be Guardians of the Galaxy, so here's hoping on both!!

There are 515 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-attending-star-wars-celebration-2017 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.