2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ifpapinball
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

unnamed (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    14364764_10202173826423548_5949763979029499562_n (resized).jpg
    14355636_10154533055759244_396904866156717868_n (resized).jpg
    9-22-2016 1-29-05 PM (resized).jpg
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    Wizard poster (resized).jpg
    interview with Gary.jpg
    Gary interview items.jpg
    GARY INTERNET (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You know, the more I think about this the less I like it. Stern can of course do whatever the hell they please. But the IFPA being involved kinda rubs me the wrong way. This isn't about promoting pinball, it's about promoting one company over the others. I'd rather they stayed more neutral than this and let Stern do their own thing. Are the IFPA going to give less play to events that don't feature Stern machines or that aren't Stern Army Approved™ now? (I doubt it, but still, people might wonder.)

Whatever, it's a marketing gimmick that will be a non story by next year, but still, it's just a weird look. Am I just biased because I'm working on this Heighway project? Does anyone else feel like that's a little weird, or is it just me?

This hobby is strange like that, lot of ethical lines crossed that set off my alarms since my day job is in journalism and we're very careful about not crossing the streams. Like when Nate from Coast2Coast did that whole Stern series. Cool, good idea. And yet ... he clearly wants to stay in Stern's good graces now, and wants Jody and Gomez on his show, and is taking their money. It's just a podcast, he can be in bed with whoever he likes. But I personally find it a little uncomfortable, I prefer a firewall between sales and editorial.

Maybe it's just me, and I don't mean to put Nate on blast. He was just taking advantage of an opportunity, I get that. And the IFPA probably sees this as a way to increase pinball visibility, so it fits their core mission. But it all smacks of pay to play.

We work hard for our sponsors Aurich. Currently Stern and JJP are two of our biggest sponsors, and Heighway was in the past and we hope will be again in the future.

We're all about building the partnerships with our sponsors to help their business in any way they see fit. Sometimes it's as simple as sharing an email list, sometimes it's reaching out to collect earnings and audit information to send back to the mothership, and sometimes it's about organizing some bigger campaigns.

Stern has taken full advantage of this by coming up with campaigns together that pushes pinball (and of course themselves) in a positive direction. The concept of launch parties, The King of the Ring, $tern Rewards Program and now the Stern Army.

For JJP we've helped to organize the tournament at their open house each year, as well as organize the official Hobbit launch party held here in Chicago. We certainly have more plans in the works with JJP once they feel they have enough equipment out in the world to do some more 'creative things' with the IFPA.

The Stern guys are well aware that there will come a time where other manufacturers partner with the IFPA on campaigns where they feel they can tap the competitive side of the hobby to further promote their business. Them being 'totally cool with that' probably isn't true, but they know that my organization is about promoting pinball in a positive way for all of our sponsors . . . not just Stern.

If us helping our sponsors rubs you the wrong way, that's of course an opinion you're welcome to have.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

it's a marketing gimmick that will be a non story by next year

We hope not . . . the program was actually borrowed from what we've done here at Raw Thrills with our Big Buck Hunter Game Warden program.

For us it's no gimmick, it's allowed us to use the biggest fans of BBH as our voice in the streets, and it's grown year over year since the inception of the campaign.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Nothing subtle about it, IFPA is making it their mission to sell more Stern games. If you want to join Stern's Tupperware club go for it. I don't think it's a bad idea at all, it's smart for Stern. I'm not sure it's smart for the IFPA, but maybe I'm the only one who even cares.

Yes, the mission with this particular campaign is to help Stern sell more games, but you seem to be looking at it as an 'exclusive thing'.

If JJP wanted to create the JJP World Championship where any registered IFPA tournament that included the use of a WOZ or Hobbit gets pulled into the cumulative standings of this global tournament, with the top 20 players participating in New Jersey to play for a prizes/glory . . . is that bad on the IFPA's part for supporting the use of JJP games on location to be part of the campaign? (and yes, this idea has been pitched by us to JJP)

If an existing event wanted to have their tournament results included in this campaign, they would need to have a JJP game at that location. The motivation there being that this kind of JJP/IFPA alliance could lead to more sales of JJP games to locations that want to be part of the program (or player bases that push their location to get a JJP game to take part).

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to help put our IFPA army of work on behalf of anyone that wants to partner with us. Raise $20,000+ for Project Pinball by partnering with them on an IFPA tournament campaign . . . SURE!

Perhaps the better question to ask is why haven't other manufacturers sought us out to leverage the IFPA and our access to the competitive pinball community for use in promoting their business?

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's my opinion that JJP and Heighway would be idiots to keep giving you money now. You're touting yourself as the voice for the Stern brand and a vehicle for selling more Stern games, why would they want to support that? This isn't the IFPA helping with a launch party, you're running an ongoing program that you hope is going to be big and successful that is about pushing sales of Stern games. Funding that strikes me as inane if you're a competitor, you're not even a remotely neutral party now.

Actually the Stern Army itself is the "voice of the Stern brand". The IFPA is here to facilitate that relationship between tournament directors that are interested and Stern. It is not about the IFPA "the organization" being this voice. We're simply here to connect our sponsors with people on the ground willing to help the cause.

If the Heighway Army came into existence we would love that too, and would be looking for volunteers who were interested in helping their cause.

We've actually had a sponsor offer to give us 4X the sponsorship dollars per year if we agreed to NOT work with a competitor within the same industry. Our response to that was "Absolutely not", full stop.

The IFPA is here as an asset to any manufacturer, distributor, operator, charity to partner with as they see fit. We hope to have ongoing programs with as many of our sponsors as possible. It's not our fault that Stern is using us as much as they are for these various campaigns. Any other sponsor is welcome to the same 'IFPA treatment' and support.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

constructively

Yeahhhhhhh . . .

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

they'll whore for everyone if it advances the ifpa's objectives

Bring it on . . . I'm as easy as them come

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Pretty sure Stern sent the Slimer trophy for my GB launch party. Am I not remembering correctly, or was it different in the past?

Stern sent it . . . but I sent it to Stern first

Stern sends me a bunch of 'the toy' to be used for the trophy. I volunteer my time to procure the wood, plaque plates and set up the assembly line to get them all built (fortunately Jarvis has given me an 'IFPA room' in the Raw Thrills basement to set up shop).

I send them back to Stern to be included in the prize packs with t-shirts and whatever other goodies get sent.

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Only issue I had was the double sided tape let go in shipping to me, and then didn't really want to hold on after that. Might have to go to the next strength up if any trophies are similar in the future.

I used to actually grab a mechanical engineer here at Raw to design a quick bracket to mount whatever Stern toy we got.

Now that I have kids, and far less time to get these things done . . . it's double sided tape ftw!

I replace the double sided tape on my Walking Dead launch party trophy every time my daughter rips Wellverine off of it

1 week later
    #145 2 years ago

Stern Army in full force, taking over Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana!

14355636_10154533055759244_396904866156717868_n (resized).jpg

14364764_10202173826423548_5949763979029499562_n (resized).jpg

unnamed (resized).jpg

#146 2 years ago

Private Ron Rezendes checks in from San Diego:

"Thank you to all 19 players who attended, our host Coin Op Game Room, the operators - Area Amusements, and Stern Pinball!! Everyone had a great time according to the players who talked to me. It was a tough night for the tournament director. Three of the five pins went down before the tourney started at 7pm (7:30-ish actually), even though they were all working at 5pm when I arrived. Sorry for the late start, but we did get through it all, eventually! Thanks to Area Amusements for the late hour tech work that got us back to four working pins! Jack Danger of Dead Flip Pinball was in attendance along with a couple of friends, one from out of town and one guy all the way from New Zealand! Jack donated a couple of Dead Flip lapel pins to our drawing. The Stern Army was in full effect, the World Poker Tour translite was won by David Oliver in the drawing after round three, congrats David! Anne Bush went all the way to the finals with zero strikes! Magic Matt Young finally put a dent in her perfect record in the first game, but fell victim to Anne's "Super Sayan" pinball tactics on The Walking Dead to close out the event shortly after midnight. Results: first place went to Anne Bush $40 + $25 Sipz GC, 2nd Magic Matt Young $25 + Coin Op Game Room t-shirt, 3rd place Brian "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" Krivonak and fourth place $5 each was a three way tie between Kyle Smith, David "DDD" Oliver, and Diego Armijo. Congratulations to everyone! #sternarmy"

Untitled (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #155 2 years ago

The stern army continued at Tyler's tender in schererville Indiana. #sternarmy

image (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
    #156 2 years ago

The stern army continued at Lightspeed hobbies in portage Indiana. This is a monthly selfie league tournament.
    A division did a 3 strikes format while B division did 4 game papa style.

unnamed (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 18.99
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 4,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    € 12.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Multigame
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet Parts
    PinBoltCaps
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 32.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 29.95
    $ 120.75
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 999.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside