(Topic ID: 169221)

Stern Army?

By Marty_Graw77

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    14364764_10202173826423548_5949763979029499562_n (resized).jpg
    14355636_10154533055759244_396904866156717868_n (resized).jpg
    9-22-2016 1-29-05 PM (resized).jpg
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    Wizard poster (resized).jpg
    interview with Gary.jpg
    Gary interview items.jpg
    GARY INTERNET (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 7 years ago

If Gary can't stand Whysnow expressing his thoughts, all he had to do was quietly not select him. Instead someone at Stern has decided it would be cutting edge marketing to insult a customer who has purchased 10 games in 3 years. Obviously we Pinsiders are not smart enough to appreciate these sophisticated marketing tactics.

#52 7 years ago

"Hilton will kick yer armys ass" t-shirts for the Stern party ? I would wear it.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

"Hilton will kick yer armys ass" t-shirts for the Stern party ? I would wear it.

i laughed out loud! Thanks Gryszzz!!!

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

If Gary can't stand Whysnow expressing his thoughts, all he had to do was quietly not select him. Instead someone at Stern has decided it would be cutting edge marketing to insult a customer who has purchased 10 games in 3 years. Obviously we Pinsiders are not smart enough to appreciate these sophisticated marketing tactics.

exactly.

#55 7 years ago

Well I had a great time shootin the shit with ya last Expo Whysnow. Looking forward to that delicious WI IPA that yer gonna bring for me this year.
    Stern Army.

#56 7 years ago

Don't worry whysnow, Gary will still take your $ and you will give it to him.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Don't worry whysnow, Gary will still take your $ and you will give it to him.

We will continue to make the best decisions for the route. Reality is that Gary will get less and less of our route money over time. In fact we recently spent what was reserved for PabstCC and BM66 on an AFM and IJ instead.

I am sure we will continue to buy Stern games but fortunately there are plenty of other options that do better in many cases (In case you are wondering, Full Throttle has done consistently better than most new Sterns so there is real reason to put business dollars elsewhere). Alien kit sure looks interesting at $3600 compared to the new Stern pricing model (on top of that the Heighway service has been stellar and so far we are still dealling with 3 ghosted insert Stern games and told to sit tight and keep taking photos).

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

We will continue to make the best decisions for the route. Reality is that Gary will get less and less of our route money over time. In fact we recently spent what was reserved for PabstCC and BM66 on an AFM and IJ instead.....

Why don't you reach out to Gary instead of posting counter-productive comments like this? It seems a bit vindictive. I have a hard time believing burning a bridge with Stern is in the best interest of your business.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess you have to kiss Stern a$$ in order to be part of their army?

I've heard there's another way.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Why don't you reach out to Gary instead of posting counter-productive comments like this?

He's the customer and he is right. If Gary wants to take care of the multiple problems his poor decisions have caused he knows how to get in touch.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

We have bought GBpro, SMve, GoTprem, Kisspro, WWE, TWD, IM, Mustang, ST, and MET in the past 3 years. We have run promotional launch parties for most of those games.

How many of each?

Just buying each game is probably pretty far from the front of the line..

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

He's the customer and he is right. If Gary wants to take care of the multiple problems his poor decisions have caused he knows how to get in touch.

How many times do we see it here on Pinside, "I e-mailed a vendor and didn't get a response, so let me air my complaints on Pinside", when all that was needed was a phone call? So after an unanswered e-mail, assume the worst and post a bunch of negative stuff about Stern after having just said you wouldn't if you could be a part of the promotion?

If I were an operator, I'd be trying to repair that bridge not burn it.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

If I were an operator, I'd be trying to repair that bridge not burn it.

are you joking... I am a CUSTOMER!

I am not the one that needs to repair any relationship. If they are concerned with continuing to get promoted sales then they know how to get a hold of me. Hell, they took the effort to email and tell me why I was not being selected to be part of the Stern Army but they cant take the effort to tell me what is going to happen with the ghosted insert GB, SMVE, and GoTprem we have on route... WTF you have seriously got it backwards.

At this point they have zero relationship with us and have proactively tried to kill what little good will they have. So far the message seems pretty clear to me that they want me to spend route dollars elsewhere and promote for other companies.

#64 7 years ago

Customers are not always right. Sometimes companies will intentionally divorce certain problematic customers to focus on other customers. The intent is to maximize income.

You have to do what's best for you. Maybe repair the relationship, or maybe buy your pinball machines from another manufacturer.....

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Customers are not always right. Sometimes companies will intentionally divorce certain problematic customers to focus on other customers. The intent is to maximize income.
    You have to do what's best for you. Maybe repair the relationship, or maybe buy your pinball machines from another manufacturer.....

As a customer I am definatley at my limit. With 3 currently defective machines and no response form Stern, but Gary has the time to scour pinside and then have the rep personally email to tell me they dont want me as part of the Army becuase I am critical of their issues and expect them to be fixed (i.e. be accountable)...

I hope they do attempt to repair the relationship. The ball is in their court if they want to try and make ammends and I gave ample time and suggested they rethink and get ahold of me over 2 weeks ago to discuss. Gary > if you are reading this then feel free to call >> you/your rep have my number.

#66 7 years ago

Yeah there's an Army forming, a Army of angry customers!
    Get your shit together stern!
    It's called Quality control.
    I'm not buying anything until the playfield issues are addressed.

#67 7 years ago

Stern Army?
    At this moment, I really don't know whether to laugh or cry. Maybe both.
    What's next, The Holy Church of Stern (TM)?

#68 7 years ago

The Stern Army is a mutually beneficial program that is coordinated through the IFPA.

From my perspective Stern is showing a lot of respect towards Tournament Directors who start location based IFPA Tournaments with Stern Pins. This is a GOOD thing as location based pins and tournaments is how we grow our player/buyer base.

Stern is asking for a little bit of data and some pictures of the events and in return will send the directors swag to give to the participants. It appears Stern will use this data to make their machines better. I dont know the specifics but it could help with them picking more desirable / popular themes, designs/features of the tables and even code.

This program is brand new and over the next couple of weeks more details will be known. I would encourage folks to support this program as much as they can so it can be successful and grow.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

The Stern Army is a mutually beneficial program that is coordinated through the IFPA.
    From my perspective Stern is showing a lot of respect towards Tournament Directors who start location based IFPA Tournaments with Stern Pins. This is a GOOD thing as location based pins and tournaments is how we grow our player/buyer base.
    Stern is asking for a little bit of data and some pictures of the events and in return will send the directors swag to give to the participants. It appears Stern will use this data to make their machines better. I dont know the specifics but it could help with them picking more desirable / popular themes, designs/features of the tables and even code.
    This program is brand new and over the next couple of weeks more details will be known. I would encourage folks to support this program as much as they can so it can be successful and grow.

I offered whole heartedly to help out and would have gone above and beyond to give them everything they were asking for plus more. With as many events as we run and Stern games in the lineup it could have been mutually beneficial.

They could have easily just ignored my application, instead of taking the time to respond how they did...

#70 7 years ago

yeah, what this guy said. I run a small 17 pin location and just started doing IFPA events. All but 1 machine (MMR) is a Stern. Since I'm basically a Stern showroom anyway I might as well get some free prizes for my league and tournament players. One of my league players just bought two brand new Stern machines so if I can score a few free T-shirts to give away Stern is way ahead.

Quoted from ZenTron:

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from sandersj:

All but 1 machine (MMR) is a Stern.

from my experience you may want to consider diversifying your line up. (assuming you want to maximize coin drop while getting the most bang for your buck in games you invest in)

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am a CUSTOMER!

You proved your point. You won.

Was it worth it ?

LTG : )

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You proved your point. You won.
    Was it worth it ?

I am not the one that has lost anything in this scenario Lloyd.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not the one that has lost anything in this scenario Lloyd.

But you didn't gain anything either.

Like it or not, sometimes you need to play the game to win.

#75 7 years ago

Stern refusing Whysnow shows they are serious about the Stern Army.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

But you didn't gain anything either.
    Like it or not, sometimes you need to play the game to win.

I attempted to play the game and offered to do so (i.e. wont talk bad about Stern/ just wont talk when I see crap coming out the door). They took it upon themselves to look for previous posts where I have called for their personal accountability and then actually took the time/effort to respond and let me know. If you can't see how that is beyond screwed up, then you are speaking from another planet Lloyd.

That is akin to you being unhappy with a regular whom plays your pins and interviewed to work for free at your store. Instead of just telling them thanks but no thanks, you seek out previous things you dont like about them and throw it in your customers face to make yourself feel better for not taking on their free work. I can't imagine you would ever do something like that.

I actually did gain plenty. I gained an even greater respect for companies like Heighway whom has done all they can to earn our business. More respect for Charlie whom made multiple trips over to help with an odd bug on a game that we were unable to diagnose. I gained the ability to make more critical decision on where I spend my money and definately gained more ability to influence customers when they contact me asking where to buy a new pin and what pin to buy (I get asked this on a weekly basis and up till recently the answer was always in 1 direction).

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Stern refusing Whysnow shows they are serious about the Stern Army.

lol

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I attempted to play the game and offered to do so (i.e. wont talk bad about Stern/ just wont talk when I see crap coming out the door).

So you'd stop speaking your mind in exchange for a couple tshirts? Not worth it man. Just do you, you're passionate about pinball, and don't worry about some promotional program. Do what you've been doing instead.

Stern requires ass kissing. Look what they do with their Facebook account. Hell, I was blocked from it just because I took a project with a competitor and I don't even post comments on it, that's the level of control freaky they get. You don't want to get in bed with that.

#79 7 years ago

I am reminded of the branch manager of the former Empire Distributing/Bally Midwest Detroit branch who came over to the line of us lowly technicians at the parts counter and asked which one of us owned a certain pickup truck. The guy in front of me (Jim) said it was his. The manager (Hank Heiser, father of actress Joyce Hyser) then told him to move it as it was blocking his "reserved" spot. Jim said OK, as soon as I pay for these parts. Hank says: No, move it NOW.

Jim looks at him like he just puked. Hank then says fine, get the hell out of here and don't come back. Hank further instructs the parts counter flunkees to NEVER sell him any parts ever again.

Jim says, as he heads to the door: "I'll never buy any equipment from you again you sonofabitch." To which Hank replied: "Fine, we're happy to lose you as a customer".

Turns out that Jim was a small operator. I ended up helping him with board repairs for several years since Bally Midwest would no longer repair his stuff

#80 7 years ago

I always wondered what was the straw that put Bally detroit out of business...

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I always wondered what was the straw that put Bally detroit out of business...

He was a prick. Eventually he was canned in '83. Bally sold off their entire distributing arm (Bally Northeast, Bally Midwest, Bally Advance etc.) once the video market crashed a few years later.
    Old Hank then ran a couple independent distributorships he founded. Then, like most, he went into operating video poker and eight-liner machines.

#82 7 years ago

You know, the more I think about this the less I like it. Stern can of course do whatever the hell they please. But the IFPA being involved kinda rubs me the wrong way. This isn't about promoting pinball, it's about promoting one company over the others. I'd rather they stayed more neutral than this and let Stern do their own thing. Are the IFPA going to give less play to events that don't feature Stern machines or that aren't Stern Army Approved™ now? (I doubt it, but still, people might wonder.)

Whatever, it's a marketing gimmick that will be a non story by next year, but still, it's just a weird look. Am I just biased because I'm working on this Heighway project? Does anyone else feel like that's a little weird, or is it just me?

This hobby is strange like that, lot of ethical lines crossed that set off my alarms since my day job is in journalism and we're very careful about not crossing the streams. Like when Nate from Coast2Coast did that whole Stern series. Cool, good idea. And yet ... he clearly wants to stay in Stern's good graces now, and wants Jody and Gomez on his show, and is taking their money. It's just a podcast, he can be in bed with whoever he likes. But I personally find it a little uncomfortable, I prefer a firewall between sales and editorial.

Maybe it's just me, and I don't mean to put Nate on blast. He was just taking advantage of an opportunity, I get that. And the IFPA probably sees this as a way to increase pinball visibility, so it fits their core mission. But it all smacks of pay to play.

#83 7 years ago

The golden rule... who has the gold makes the rules. In this case it is Stern fronting cash/prizes/swag to ifpa. I'm sure if another company stepped in and wanted to work with ifpa their money would be good too.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

But the IFPA being involved kinda rubs me the wrong way.

I wish there would be a Stern Army for those not into league play or tournaments. There are a lot of players that just want to have play and have fun.

Their numbers are far greater than those involved with the ifpa. They should be welcomed to a Stern Army Official Location too. Knowing they get to play the latest and greatest Stern pins there.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You know, the more I think about this the less I like it. Stern can of course do whatever the hell they please. But the IFPA being involved kinda rubs me the wrong way. This isn't about promoting pinball, it's about promoting one company over the others. I'd rather they stayed more neutral than this and let Stern do their own thing. Are the IFPA going to give less play to events that don't feature Stern machines or that aren't Stern Army Approved™ now? (I doubt it, but still, people might wonder.)

Whatever, it's a marketing gimmick that will be a non story by next year, but still, it's just a weird look. Am I just biased because I'm working on this Heighway project? Does anyone else feel like that's a little weird, or is it just me?

This hobby is strange like that, lot of ethical lines crossed that set off my alarms since my day job is in journalism and we're very careful about not crossing the streams. Like when Nate from Coast2Coast did that whole Stern series. Cool, good idea. And yet ... he clearly wants to stay in Stern's good graces now, and wants Jody and Gomez on his show, and is taking their money. It's just a podcast, he can be in bed with whoever he likes. But I personally find it a little uncomfortable, I prefer a firewall between sales and editorial.

Maybe it's just me, and I don't mean to put Nate on blast. He was just taking advantage of an opportunity, I get that. And the IFPA probably sees this as a way to increase pinball visibility, so it fits their core mission. But it all smacks of pay to play.

We work hard for our sponsors Aurich. Currently Stern and JJP are two of our biggest sponsors, and Heighway was in the past and we hope will be again in the future.

We're all about building the partnerships with our sponsors to help their business in any way they see fit. Sometimes it's as simple as sharing an email list, sometimes it's reaching out to collect earnings and audit information to send back to the mothership, and sometimes it's about organizing some bigger campaigns.

Stern has taken full advantage of this by coming up with campaigns together that pushes pinball (and of course themselves) in a positive direction. The concept of launch parties, The King of the Ring, $tern Rewards Program and now the Stern Army.

For JJP we've helped to organize the tournament at their open house each year, as well as organize the official Hobbit launch party held here in Chicago. We certainly have more plans in the works with JJP once they feel they have enough equipment out in the world to do some more 'creative things' with the IFPA.

The Stern guys are well aware that there will come a time where other manufacturers partner with the IFPA on campaigns where they feel they can tap the competitive side of the hobby to further promote their business. Them being 'totally cool with that' probably isn't true, but they know that my organization is about promoting pinball in a positive way for all of our sponsors . . . not just Stern.

If us helping our sponsors rubs you the wrong way, that's of course an opinion you're welcome to have.

#86 7 years ago

I just keep hoping I get another shot at the interview.

I plan to come more prepared next time.

Gary interview items.jpgGary interview items.jpg
    interview with Gary.jpginterview with Gary.jpg

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

it's a marketing gimmick that will be a non story by next year

We hope not . . . the program was actually borrowed from what we've done here at Raw Thrills with our Big Buck Hunter Game Warden program.

For us it's no gimmick, it's allowed us to use the biggest fans of BBH as our voice in the streets, and it's grown year over year since the inception of the campaign.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

The golden rule... who has the gold makes the rules.

Not everyone is for sale, and not everyone thinks money is the overriding principle in life. I told Hilton to not sell out over a tshirt, would you?

IFPA is touting that they want to be a "voice for the Stern brand" now. Up to you if you lose respect for the organization or not over something like that. Personally I don't care for it.

If you didn't look at the link:

"The IFPA and Stern Pinball are looking for members to join the Stern Army!
    The Stern Army is the official street term and brand ambassadors of Stern Pinball, working in partnership with the IFPA to help create more tournaments and leagues at public locations.
    The mission of the Stern Army:
    1 – Expand the player community through events and leagues at public locations that include Stern pinball machines.
    2 – Get more Stern games into more locations
    3 – Get more people playing in tournaments and leagues at these locations
    4 – Be the voices of the Stern brand!
    We’re looking for IFPA endorsed event organizers to pioneer the creation of ongoing monthly tournaments and league featuring Stern pinball machines all around the world.
    Stern Army members will be rewarded for recruiting new players, starting up events in new locations, and helping facilitate the sale of more Stern pinball machines to these locations.
    If you’re interested in joining the IFPA and Stern family and becoming part of the Stern Army, please contact the IFPA at [email protected] to learn more!"

Nothing subtle about it, IFPA is making it their mission to sell more Stern games. If you want to join Stern's Tupperware club go for it. I don't think it's a bad idea at all, it's smart for Stern. I'm not sure it's smart for the IFPA, but maybe I'm the only one who even cares.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Are the IFPA going to give less play to events that don't feature Stern machines or that aren't Stern Army Approved™ now? (I doubt it, but still, people might wonder.)
    Whatever, it's a marketing gimmick that will be a non story by next year, but still, it's just a weird look. Am I just biased because I'm working on this Heighway project? Does anyone else feel like that's a little weird, or is it just me?.

I think it's just you.

Stern is sending people schwag. Tournament Directors like schwag - it's cool to give out trophies and translites and Stern is supplying these. It's a smart move, and they don't require that ALL games at a location are Sterns to do it. Heighway can do the same thing, at the same locations.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm a TD and run over 75% of the events in Tucson. That just means I'm on IFPA a lot. They have had Stern in their scrolling banner ad for as long as I have been running events. Typically it's more than one title too, it's most of the current ones. Stern also sends a healthy amount of cool stuff to those launch parties. I hosted my first one with GB and everyone was happy with the flyers, plastics/fobs, 2x translates, and the Slimer trophy. All shipped on Stern's dime.

Will Heighway do something like that for me if I have a launch party if/when I get an NIB Alien? No snark, serious question.

#91 7 years ago

Gary's a survivor and has done a LOT for the hobby. And it is to a large degree due to Stern carrying the torch that we have some REAL choices out there as pin hobbyists. I'm pulling for Stern (and all the other honest manufacturers) because even though they are no longer the ONLY pillar in pinball, they are certainly the biggest.

And though I have concerns on Stern's behalf, I have to acknowledge: Gary's smart and deserves benefit of the doubt.

It's hard to get perspective on how bad manufacturing problems are on a forum, because one only sees the worst cases.
    Easier to get some perspective on software completion issues, but even there, it's subjective as to how unfinished is unfinished? One man's "good enough" is another's "unplayable."
    So it's entirely possible that some of these issues are a bit overblown (I don't own any Sterns that I currently consider to have playfield issues or significant software issues. I'm also not applying for a B66).

But one has to concede that it is at least interesting that Stern is NOT resting on its laurels. It keeps working on ThePin model (Gomez is good at coming up with ways of delivering more for less). And I don't think we've seen all that Spike can do yet (even if nothing more than delivering same experience with lower failure rate and cheaper cost). At long last, Stern is bringing their version of color DMD. ZombieYeti art, I think we can all agree, is a positive throwback. John Buscaglia from Topps has been there for 3 years now, so it's time for him to justify his hiring as Chief Revenue Officer by shaking up the "collectible" aspect of the hobby (for better or worse: but that's why he was hired, and it's a LOT of money potentially...), and we're seeing that by how B66 is being handled, once again for better or worse.

So say what you will: Stern is acting dynamically, trying different things out, and seeing what sticks. And I think that's okay.

As long as at the end of the day, people believe Stern delivers a quality pin for the money, then I, for one, encourage them trying different things.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it's just you.

I agree, Aurich, this is a silly debate.

Hilton has a legit gripe, but I hope cooler heads prevail and he too can join the Stern Army.

And maybe someone can take the reigns and organize some tournaments for Lloyd (I sure as hell would if I lived near by and had a great venue like that) so SS Billiards can also be part of the Stern Army. Everyone's a winner.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Nothing subtle about it, IFPA is making it their mission to sell more Stern games. If you want to join Stern's Tupperware club go for it. I don't think it's a bad idea at all, it's smart for Stern. I'm not sure it's smart for the IFPA, but maybe I'm the only one who even cares.

Yes, the mission with this particular campaign is to help Stern sell more games, but you seem to be looking at it as an 'exclusive thing'.

If JJP wanted to create the JJP World Championship where any registered IFPA tournament that included the use of a WOZ or Hobbit gets pulled into the cumulative standings of this global tournament, with the top 20 players participating in New Jersey to play for a prizes/glory . . . is that bad on the IFPA's part for supporting the use of JJP games on location to be part of the campaign? (and yes, this idea has been pitched by us to JJP)

If an existing event wanted to have their tournament results included in this campaign, they would need to have a JJP game at that location. The motivation there being that this kind of JJP/IFPA alliance could lead to more sales of JJP games to locations that want to be part of the program (or player bases that push their location to get a JJP game to take part).

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to help put our IFPA army of work on behalf of anyone that wants to partner with us. Raise $20,000+ for Project Pinball by partnering with them on an IFPA tournament campaign . . . SURE!

Perhaps the better question to ask is why haven't other manufacturers sought us out to leverage the IFPA and our access to the competitive pinball community for use in promoting their business?

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I just keep hoping I get another shot at the interview.
    I plan to come more prepared next time.

Don't forget your ponytail. It is a bonus to have something to grasp ahold of during the "event".

#95 7 years ago

Okay, it's just me, I'll withdraw from the discussion, I see no reason in dragging this out further if I'm the lone voice, especially since it's hard to for me to not sound biased. But I want to respond to this first:

Quoted from ifpapinball:

We work hard for our sponsors Aurich. Currently Stern and JJP are two of our biggest sponsors, and Heighway was in the past and we hope will be again in the future.

It's my opinion that JJP and Heighway would be idiots to keep giving you money now. You're touting yourself as the voice for the Stern brand and a vehicle for selling more Stern games, why would they want to support that? This isn't the IFPA helping with a launch party, you're running an ongoing program that you hope is going to be big and successful that is about pushing sales of Stern games. Funding that strikes me as inane if you're a competitor, you're not even a remotely neutral party now.

(To be clear, I'm not a Heighway employee, the company's plans outside of Alien are not my problem or concern, nor am I going to tell Andrew my opinion on this or try and influence him in anyway when it comes to the IFPA. And I can't speak to any decisions Heighway might make about sponsoring anything, big or small. Don't know, don't care.)

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, it's just me, I'll withdraw from the discussion, I see no reason in dragging this out further if I'm the lone voice, especially since it's hard to for me to not sound biased. But I want to respond to this first:

It's my opinion that JJP and Heighway would be idiots to keep giving you money now.

Very effective way to withdraw from the discussion.

IFPA isn't THE voice of Stern, they are A voice of Stern. And they are clear that it isn't exclusive. Any company can strike up an alliance with them, which is good for competitive pinball, and good for the industry.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

And maybe someone can take the reigns and organize some tournaments for Lloyd (I sure as hell would if I lived near by and had a great venue like that) so SS Billiards can also be part of the Stern Army. Everyone's a winner.

No.

Doesn't work for my location. About a year before the refresh I'd dropped The once a month event, Mayday Tournament, Day after Thanksgiving and New Years Day tournaments. And a half year later I started seeing my business improve. I started seeing regulars again.

The league and tournament players only come in when you pay them. And your regulars that are paying your rent, often can't compete with the league and tournament players and drift away.

Now I'm only talking about my location. Other locations may have different experiences.

The Pinball Circus is in limbo right now. Evolved from the Goose Parties and had a 14 year run. Not bad. May pop up again, maybe in a different format.

And there will definitely be a party on my 50th Anniversary in 2,190 days. ( 44th Anniversary was yesterday ) similar to the 40th Anniversary party.

And I have considered maybe a small party when JJP3, next remake, next Stern pin arrives. Something for the regulars.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No.
    Doesn't work for my location. About a year before the refresh I'd dropped The once a month event, Mayday Tournament, Day after Thanksgiving and New Years Day tournaments. And a half year later I started seeing my business improve. I started seeing regulars again.
    The league and tournament players only come in when you pay them. And your regulars that are paying your rent, often can't compete with the league and tournament players and drift away.
    Now I'm only talking about my location. Other locations may have different experiences.
    The Pinball Circus is in limbo right now. Evolved from the Goose Parties and had a 14 year run. Not bad. May pop up again, maybe in a different format.
    And there will definitely be a party on my 50th Anniversary in 2,190 days. ( 44th Anniversary was yesterday ) similar to the 40th Anniversary party.
    And I have considered maybe a small party when JJP3, next remake, next Stern pin arrives. Something for the regulars.

Fair enough, Lloyd. You know best for your location.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

IFPA isn't THE voice of Stern, they are A voice of Stern. And they are clear that it isn't exclusive. Any company can strike up an alliance with them, which is good for competitive pinball, and good for the industry.

I'm not looking it up, but I'm going to guess both Playstation and Xbox sponsor major esports events, and likely the same ones.

#100 7 years ago

I still think it would be cool if places like LTGs were able to be part of the Stern army also. It definately would not hurt Stern if LTG was able to give out a little free swag every once in a while. Would be good for LTG also.

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-army/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.