Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JOESCHALL
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CTFinal3 (resized).jpg
    CTFinal2 (resized).JPG
    CTFinal1 (resized).JPG
    SBS (resized).JPG
    Ct Tourney Feb 20 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1968 (resized).JPG
    GZ9 (resized).JPG
    GZ8 (resized).JPG
    G7 (resized).JPG
    GZ5 (resized).JPG
    GZ6 (resized).JPG
    GZ4 (resized).JPG
    GZ2 (resized).JPG
    GZ3 (resized).JPG
    GZ1 (resized).JPG
    GZ0 (resized).JPG
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

We’re now holding monthly tournaments on Sunday afternoons in central PA at Chronic Town/Music Underground, with “Stern Army” sponsorship and prizes. We are also planning to throw in a launch party or two. I’ll be updating this thread at least once a month with details. See below for background and details on the November tournament.

Chronic Town/Music Underground is a combination hookah lounge/record store/pinball arcade in State College (home to Penn State) with a great collection of mostly modern pins that I and some other volunteer techs who are local pinheads strive to keep at 100%. Right now we have 19 pins in excellent shape, and we will include at least 14 of those titles (excluded titles will vary each month) in the monthly tournaments.

Current Titles:
    Attack from Mars (original)
    Family Guy
    Games of Thrones LE
    Ghostbusters LE
    Iron Man
    Jurassic Park LE
    Lord of the Rings
    Metallica
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Revenge from Mars
    Rob Zombie’s Spookshow International
    Scared Stiff
    Super Mario Bros.
    The Hobbit LE
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    The Walking Dead
    Transformers LE
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory LE
    X-Men

Details for the November tournament follow.

Time: Sunday afternoon, November 21, 2:00-4:00. The business opens at noon and closes at 6:00 on Sundays, so you are welcome to come play outside of the tournament hours.

Location: Chronic Town/Music Underground, 224 West College Avenue. State College, PA 16801. The business is right below a Five Guys.

Format: Flip Frenzy, using the Match Play software. This will keep things intense and moving along, with all players getting to participate for the full two hours.

IFPA-registered: Yes.

Cost: $1 cash to enter per player, which goes to the IFPA. Otherwise, all games will be on coin drop at either 75 cents or $1 per game. So bring your quarters and $1 bills. Many of the games have bill acceptors.

Settings: Games will be on tournament settings, with no extra balls. Ball saves will likely be 5 seconds with 2 tilt warnings.

Prizes: Stern translite to the top finisher and Stern dog tags to the top 3 finishers.

Smoking: Yes—it’s a hookah lounge. But for those non-smokers, the place is spacious with great ventilation.

Alcohol: BYOB. Must be over 21 and show your ID at the front register.

Players Under 21: Those under 21 are welcome to participate.

Expected Number of Players: 10-20.

Masking: Officially, customers to the shop are asked to mask upon entry. Unofficially, plenty of people don’t mask or don’t do so the entire time they’re there.

Beverages and Food On Site: Yes. Coffee, espresso, tea, soda, smoothies, and shakes. Waffles, ice cream, cookies, and cereal.

Nearby Food: Plenty of options within a two-block area, ranging from Five Guys to international food to cafes.

Parking: Free street parking at metered spots on Sundays on College Avenue.

I think that covers everything, but if you have questions feel free to post. Hope to see you there!

#2 2 years ago

Count me in!

#3 2 years ago

Thanks, Looprunner. We look forward to seeing you there!

1 week later
    #4 2 years ago

Our next Silver Ball Sunday tournament is this weekend, November 21, 2:00-4:00, using the "Flipper Frenzy" format and Match Play software. IFPA-registered. A $1 tournament entry fee goes to IFPA--otherwise all games are on coin drop. Stern translite for #1 finisher and dogtags for the other top finishers.

The following games will be part of the tournament:

Attack from Mars
    Game of Thrones Premium
    Ghostbusters Premium
    Iron Man
    Jurassic Park Premium (Stern)
    Metallica Pro
    Scared Stiff
    The Hobbit LE
    Lord of the Rings
    The Walking Dead Pro
    Transformers LE
    X-men Premium

The following games will be reserved for non-tournament players:

Family Guy
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Rob Zombie's Spookshow International
    Revenge from Mars
    Super Mario Bros.

All games are working 100%.

Please post any questions to this thread or PM me.

Hope to see you there!

#5 2 years ago

Day-before-tournament bump.

#7 2 years ago

Thanks "wise" one. It will be interesting to see how you like the "flip frenzy" format!

#8 2 years ago

JOESCHALL Thanks for running things this week Joe, I think it went really well and people liked the format. Possible suggestion for next time: do you think it would be good if we adjusted ball save time for multiballs? I thought since on all our modern machines, multiballs give generous ball saves that reset when you add-a-ball, this could be a little too forgiving and could be adjusted. Not a huge issue or anything but do you think it could be a good change to speed things up?

#9 2 years ago

Damn. Can't believe I missed this when first posted! I've never played in a tournament since the 1980's. Are the games brought in or are they there all the time?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from JimJams:

JOESCHALL Thanks for running things this week Joe, I think it went really well and people liked the format. Possible suggestion for next time: do you think it would be good if we adjusted ball save time for multiballs? I thought since on all our modern machines, multiballs give generous ball saves that reset when you add-a-ball, this could be a little too forgiving and could be adjusted. Not a huge issue or anything but do you think it could be a good change to speed things up?

An interesting suggestion. I'll discuss with the gang, since we'll be using the Flip Frenzy format in the December tournament as well, which will be on December 5. And we'll change up the titles a bit that will be in the tournament each month as well. Interestingly, we wondered if we should exclude LOTR from the tourney since we knew that game could last long based on how many locals play it, but it turns out that everyone had really short games on it and didn't really get to the multiballs.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Damn. Can't believe I missed this when first posted! I've never played in a tournament since the 1980's. Are the games brought in or are they there all the time?

They're there all the time tomdrum, and the shop opens every day, seven days a week, at noon. Sorry you missed it as well, but hopefully you can join us on December 5. Details will be posted here a few days before the tournament. I and other volunteer techs have managed to keep all games at 100%, and the shop will be adding another Stern title in January. Feel free to post here or PM me if you need more details. Thanks for posting!

#12 2 years ago

JOESCHALL , if possible post a pic or two from the next event - would be cool to see how the current lineup looks. I haven't been up there for over 3 years now.

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#13 2 years ago

Pics coming in the next day. Thanks, Rob!

#14 2 years ago

Photos representing almost all of the everyday current line-up at Chronic Town/Music Underground.

CT1 (resized).JPGCT1 (resized).JPGCT2 (resized).JPGCT2 (resized).JPGCT3 (resized).JPGCT3 (resized).JPGCT4 (resized).JPGCT4 (resized).JPGCT5 (resized).JPGCT5 (resized).JPGCT6 (resized).JPGCT6 (resized).JPG
    #15 2 years ago

Photos from the 10-player November Stern Army tournament using the "Flip Frenzy" format and the Match Play Software.

NovemberTourney1 (resized).JPGNovemberTourney1 (resized).JPGNovemberTourney2 (resized).JPGNovemberTourney2 (resized).JPGNovemberTourney3 (resized).JPGNovemberTourney3 (resized).JPG
    #16 2 years ago

Great pics Joe, there I am trying to practice our favorite machine, lol. Thanks for the reply on the ball save thing, I'm glad LOTR wasn't a problem. I didn't notice any games go crazy long either but there might be the potential as some of us get more familiar with the machines and I think it'd be nicer to change software settings than anything physical, Wally showed me how so I think I've got it down now.

-James

#17 2 years ago

If nothing else, removing the "add-a-ball" feature on some of the games might speed things up while still offering the benefit of multiballs, with multiballs being how many people do well in the faster-paced "flip frenzy" format. I'm going to invite you, Wally, and anyone else local who's interested for a few hours on Saturday afternoon before the next tournament to go through the games and set them up for tournament play the next day, so we can discuss it further then.

#18 2 years ago

Sounds good, I wasn't super familiar with what's individually adjustable but that sounds like a good option. In particular I know Hobbit can last forever with those add-a-balls and Metallica sometimes as well.

1 week later
    #19 2 years ago

Our next Silver Ball Sunday tournament is this weekend, December 5, 2:00-4:00, using the "Flip Frenzy" format and Match Play software. IFPA-registered. A $1 tournament entry fee goes to IFPA--otherwise all games are on coin drop. Stern translite for #1 finisher and dogtags for the other top finishers.

The following games are planned to be part of the tournament:

Attack from Mars
    Family Guy
    Game of Thrones Premium
    Ghostbusters Premium
    Iron Man
    Metallica Pro
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Revenge from Mars
    Scared Stiff
    The Hobbit LE
    Lord of the Rings
    The Walking Dead Pro
    Transformers LE
    X-men Premium

All games are working 100%.

We expect about 10 players--hopefully more! Please post any questions to this thread or PM me.

#20 2 years ago

Tournament day bump.

And we will be adding Stern's Spiderman to the lineup at Chronic Town this week, bringing the total number of pins there to an even 20, all 100% working.

#21 2 years ago

Spiderman now added to the lineup at Chronic Town, and we have another successful monthly Silver Ball Sunday tournament under our belt. A few pics below.

Our next monthly tournament will be Sunday, January 9, 1:00-4:00, and will include a Godzilla Pro launch party. Details to follow in January. Please post any questions to this thread or PM me.

CT1 (resized).jpgCT1 (resized).jpgCT2 (resized).jpgCT2 (resized).jpgCT3 (resized).jpgCT3 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #22 2 years ago

For anyone following this thread, I'm just letting you know that you're welcome to join in on some free play testing of the pins on Sunday, January 2nd, 2:00-5:00, at Chronic Town in State College. We'll be play testing and switching the pins to tournament settings to prep for our January 9th "Silver Ball Sunday" afternoon tournament and Godzilla Pro launch. Also, on the 2nd, we'll have a new Star Wars Home Edition in the house for the day on free play (duh--since it's ALWAYS on free play!), in case you're interested in checking that awesome title out. All are welcome, including the kiddos. Come join the fun.

1 week later
    #23 2 years ago

Our next "Silver Ball Sunday" tournament is coming right up on January 9, starting at 1:00, and is expected to end by 5:00 for the top finishers. This one includes a launch party for Stern's Godzilla Pro! Godzilla will be set on free play all day for any tournament players to enjoy between flips.

We'll be using a group match play format of five rounds open to all, and if we get enough players we may do two tourneys simultaneously--one for beginners and one for advanced. The tournament is registered with the IFPA. $1 Entry fee to cover IFPA results submission, plus coin drop on each machine that you play as part of the tournament, so figure on spending $20-$30.

Registration opens at 12:00 pm and the tournament starts at 1:00 pm. The top finisher wins a Stern translite. The top 8 finishers of the group match play tournament will compete in a second tournament on Godzilla, with the winner taking home a Godzilla Launch Party Grand Champion plaque and a Stern Godzilla translite.

Post any questions to this thread or PM me. With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound, Godzilla awaits . . .

#24 2 years ago

Godzilla (resized).jpgGodzilla (resized).jpg
    #25 2 years ago

Thanks to all who came out in the ice storm for our Silver Ball Sunday tourney and Godzilla Pro launch party yesterday, to Chronic Town/Music Underground for advertising and hosting, and to our tournament co-director, Eric, for generously sharing his Godzilla with the community for the day on free play. We had a record number of players at 14, a few locals who entered for the first time, and a few out-of-towners willing to drive 90 minutes for the tourney. We're very grateful to all, and everyone had a welcome winter blast! Details about the upcoming monthly winter tournaments to come in this thread. Meanwhile, a few pics from yesterday follow.

G7 (resized).JPGG7 (resized).JPGGZ0 (resized).JPGGZ0 (resized).JPGGZ1 (resized).JPGGZ1 (resized).JPGGZ2 (resized).JPGGZ2 (resized).JPGGZ3 (resized).JPGGZ3 (resized).JPGGZ4 (resized).JPGGZ4 (resized).JPGGZ5 (resized).JPGGZ5 (resized).JPGGZ6 (resized).JPGGZ6 (resized).JPGGZ8 (resized).JPGGZ8 (resized).JPGGZ9 (resized).JPGGZ9 (resized).JPG
    #26 2 years ago

Great event! I really enjoyed it.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Looprunner:

Great event! I really enjoyed it.

Thanks, Looprunner. You were a great addition, as always!

#28 2 years ago

That was a blast, can't wait for next month!

IMG_1968 (resized).JPGIMG_1968 (resized).JPG
    #29 2 years ago

Thanks. And great pic! Start 'em young!

#30 2 years ago

Chronic Town has now changed to winter hours, as follows:

Monday-Friday: 4:00-10:00 pm
    Saturday: 12:00-10:00 pm
    Sunday: 12:00-6:00 pm

Same great lineup of 20 pins.

4 weeks later
    #31 2 years ago

Our next Silver Ball Sunday tourney is coming right up on February 20, starting at 1:00, with registration and practice times open at noon. $1 entry fee plus coin drop for each game played. Stern Army sponsored with a translite for first place and IFPA registered as always. Although the IFPA listing says "three strikes," we'll be using a "four strikes" knockout format to extend the tournament length. Here is the IFPA listing:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=46757#

Here is the planned lineup:

Game of Thrones Premium
    Ghostbusters Premium
    Metallica Pro
    Scared Stiff
    The Hobbit LE
    Lord of the Rings
    The Walking Dead Pro
    Transformers
    X-men Premium
    Family Guy
    Revenge from Mars

So take a break from the projected sunny 40-degree weather and spend a few hours flipping inside!

Post any questions to this thread or PM me.

#32 2 years ago

#33 2 years ago

Great tournament! Thanks Joe, Eric, Wally, Harrisburg folks and everyone else who came out and helped make it happen.

#34 2 years ago

I had a great time also!!! It was nice to meet the Harrisburg group!!

#35 2 years ago

Yes, indeed. The Harrisburg contingent was awesome--as people and as players! Photo of winners attached, including first-place finisher Nathan from Harrisburg.

Ct Tourney Feb 20 (resized).JPGCt Tourney Feb 20 (resized).JPG
    #36 2 years ago

It was nice to meet all of you as well. Thanks for hosting the event, I'm sure we'll be back.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

It was nice to meet all of you as well. Thanks for hosting the event, I'm sure we'll be back

Cool beans. Thanks for coming! Our next tourney will be March 20--the first day of spring--with the Stern Army prize that day being a Munsters translite.

2 weeks later
    #38 2 years ago

Well, just as the tradition of "springing our clocks forward" each year may end if the proposed legislation passes, our Chronic Town/Music Underground "Sliver Ball Sundays" must come to an end as well. With the shop closing its doors soon, our last Stern Army tournament at this location will be the first day of spring, March 20, beginning at 1:00 pm. IFPA registered as always, with a $1 entry fee plus coin drop for about 2.5 hours before the final rounds begin, with plenty of action for all thanks to the "flip frenzy" format. First prize is a Munsters translite, with Cointaker t-shirts for other top finishers.

All 15 pins are 100% working and ready to rock. We hope to see you there for one final spring fling!

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from JOESCHALL:

With the shop closing its doors soon

Closing the doors????

#40 2 years ago

Yes, the shop is closing and moving to a new location three hours away in Pittsburgh, with the pinball and vinyl inventory going along to the new location. As far as our Silver Ball Sundays go, those will be rebooted in a new location in State College in May with a fresh pin lineup and a new pinside thread. Still working on those details. Thanks for the interest.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Yes, the shop is closing and moving to a new location three hours away in Pittsburgh, with the pinball and vinyl inventory going along to the new location. As far as our Silver Ball Sundays go, those will be rebooted in a new location in State College in May with a fresh pin lineup and a new pinside thread. Still working on those details. Thanks for the interest.

Good to read! Where at in Pittsburgh are you moving too? Originally from Pittsburgh and have family still there!

#42 2 years ago

Penn Avenue. The new shop will have three floors--one with pins and one with vinyl, and all three with alcohol. I'm not part of the business. I'm just an amateur pinball tech in State College that supports the current location and loves the business owners. I and the other local flippers will really miss them and I'll surely be visiting their new place in Pittsburgh.

#43 2 years ago

JOESCHALL well if you have a chance ask if they're looking to sell Metallica once it closes. One of my favorites so if it's moving I'm going to need my fix.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pensfan112:

JOESCHALL well if you have a chance ask if they're looking to sell Metallica once it closes. One of my favorites so if it's moving I'm going to need my fix.

Sorry, I've already tried to buy it on behalf of a local operator (the Chronic Town owner did sell four pins already to that operator for the new Stern Army location just a few blocks away), but the owner gave a definite no. The new shop will include vinyl sales, so the Chronic Town owner wants to take along that music-themed pin with him. Again, sorry. The closest I can offer is two Led Zeppelin Pros (both with audio jacks) routed in State College, and eventually I'll probably be routing my Rush Pro as well, but not for a year or so after I've finished enjoying it in my house.

#45 2 years ago

and JOESCHALL if you don't mind letting us know where they move too and when they're opening would appreciate it (sent them an email yesterday, haven't heard back yet but be good to have it documented on this thread their new location).

Penn Ave is a long as street that runs all the way through the city and then some!

Thnx

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

and JOESCHALL if you don't mind letting us know where they move too and when they're opening would appreciate it (sent them an email yesterday, haven't heard back yet but be good to have it documented on this thread their new location).

Penn Ave is a long as street that runs all the way through the city and then some!

Thnx

I'll be glad to do that, but at this point I'm posting no details in that the business owners will do a proper facebook and pinside launch when they're ready, so they should be the ones to share. They're still working out some critical details. But I can confirm that they have owned the building for about two years and are doing a total renovation with a great business plan, that they will definitely have pins, vinyl, and alcohol, and that they are superb people to work with. Their current State College location is closing in May and I hope they can launch the Pittsburgh one before 2022 ends, but I can't say for sure. Once they do, I'll be glad to point this thread to the new business. Again, thanks for the interest.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Sorry, I've already tried to buy it on behalf of a local operator (the Chronic Town owner did sell four pins already to that operator for the new Stern Army location just a few blocks away), but the owner gave a definite no. The new shop will include vinyl sales, so the Chronic Town owner wants to take along that music-themed pin with him. Again, sorry. The closest I can offer is two Led Zeppelin Pros (both with audio jacks) routed in State College, and eventually I'll probably be routing my Rush Pro as well, but not for a year or so after I've finished enjoying it in my house.

Dang I love that thing and just got back from playing it. It was a hail mary ask just in case but haven't played Led Zeppelin enough and not sure if I'm into it but if you're looking to rent any out for a couple months let me know I'd probably do that. I'm planning on being at the tourney this Sunday so we can chat then.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from JOESCHALL:

I'll be glad to do that, but at this point I'm posting no details in that the business owners will do a proper facebook and pinside launch when they're ready, so they should be the ones to share. They're still working out some critical details. But I can confirm that they have owned the building for about two years and are doing a total renovation with a great business plan, that they will definitely have pins, vinyl, and alcohol, and that they are superb people to work with. Their current State College location is closing in May and I hope they can launch the Pittsburgh one before 2022 ends, but I can't say for sure. Once they do, I'll be glad to point this thread to the new business. Again, thanks for the interest.

Thanks Joe! Yeah my son just finished his degree at PSU and spent a lot of time Chronic. He was involved in a few of the tournaments. He's now back in Pittsburgh so he's looking forward to them opening up there!

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pensfan112:

Dang I love that thing and just got back from playing it. It was a hail mary ask just in case but haven't played Led Zeppelin enough and not sure if I'm into it but if you're looking to rent any out for a couple months let me know I'd probably do that. I'm planning on being at the tourney this Sunday so we can chat then.

Sounds great. I'll be there. Be sure to introduce yourself.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Thanks Joe! Yeah my son just finished his degree at PSU and spent a lot of time Chronic. He was involved in a few of the tournaments. He's now back in Pittsburgh so he's looking forward to them opening up there!

Cool. And there's a fantastic pinball scene already in Pittsburgh, as he probably knows: Kickback Cafe, Helicon, and Helicon 2 to name a few.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-army-invades-state-college-pa-with-silver-ball-sundays?hl=thegunnett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.