3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AE6A1760-FA52-49DF-B6D7-338A834827B1 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I just found out I’ll be picking up an Austin Powers tomorrow morning. I’ve never had such a modern Stern title. It’s a must that I take the head off to get it out of the colonial era Marblehead MA home.
Is there any advice or tips you can give for disconnecting the back box and all it’s wiring. Anything different from from moving solid state Bally’s?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

I just found out I’ll be picking up an Austin Powers tomorrow morning. I’ve never had such a modern Stern title. It’s a must that I take the head off to get it out of the colonial era Marblehead MA home.
Is there any advice or tips you can give for disconnecting the back box and all it’s wiring. Anything different from from moving solid state Bally’s?

Not really, other then it might have more connectors. if you have to take the head off for whatever reason you going to have to take the hinges off. Don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that before though. Usually u just fold it down and put a piece of cardboard or blanket between the back box and glass.

alan key to take the hinge off the cabinet. and a socket for the head... think it's 7/16. There might be a spacer for the hinge btwn. the cabinet don't loose it.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Since you're going to be disconnecting the hinges and head. (not a big deal) you will be able to pull the playfield easily too. That will make it easy peesy to take the game down. PF, lower cab, and head all in separate trips and less weight to deal with.

Congrats on the new game!

#4 3 years ago

They got the game into the house with 4 men, flipping it on its side and walking through the window.
I’m getting a little long in the tooth for such heroics.
So expect more harnesses...not less?
Ok. I should be able to handle it.
I looked at the game today. Super minty. The sellers wife was saying something and I cracked up from behind my mask after spotting Mr Wigglesworth in the upper right. I think she thought I had Covid toe or something.

#5 3 years ago

I take the backbox off every game that comes in my house. Just take a bunch of pictures of every cable you undo, and take twice as many pics as you think you need. Most of the cables should be keyed, but sometimes a fine tip sharpie is nice for writing the board location number on each plug. AP is going to have some more cables than a modern Spike game, but its not that bad. Be careful tilting the backbox off after you unbolt the hinge, you can mark up the artwork on the cabinet if you get rammy. And don't lose the spacers that go between the hinge and the cabinet...they like to fall off and roll somewhere unreachable once you pull the backbox away from the cabinet.

#6 3 years ago

I deal with the same thing living in a house from the 1800s in Salem. The last time I moved a game in I unscrewed the head and was able to gently rotate it to make it through the door way. I also had to take the doors off the hinges.

#7 3 years ago

I always use different colored electrical tape and color code each connector as I disconnect so I know where each goes back when it's time to put them back together.

#8 3 years ago

He’s home!
It took all of 30 minutes to disconnect, break down and load up in the car.

I said to my son, “dude, that wasn’t so bad”
His reply, “we shagged that game rot’n”

AE6A1760-FA52-49DF-B6D7-338A834827B1 (resized).jpegAE6A1760-FA52-49DF-B6D7-338A834827B1 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
Machine - For Sale
Cloverdale, CA
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-ap-moving-advice-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.