Topic Stats

• 690 posts
  • 140 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0853.jpg
IMAG1174.jpg
codes.png
terminus2.JPG
terminus.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
index.jpg
IMAG1162.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0785-1.JPG
IMG_0790.JPG
STERN-PINBALL-TIP-OF-THE-HAT.jpg
IMAG2049.jpg
image-913.jpg

There are 690 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.
#51 4 years ago

they just posted a min ago "The Product Development team here at Stern Pinball testing the new code update for The Walking Dead! Coming soon! ‪#‎SternPinball‬ ‪#‎codeiscoming"

#52 4 years ago

I think on the right display, software version reads 1.31?

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hope stern gets this code done whole distributors still have WWELE. The only reason I didn't get the WWE game was due to TWD being so incomplete and no sign it was going to ever be finished.

I don't think it's "so incomplete" been playing it for months and love it

#54 4 years ago

I played a bunch of TWD this week. I'm really starting to warm up to the game. I haven't been that far with it yet, but can't wait for new code to check it out further.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hope stern gets this code done whole distributors still have WWELE. The only reason I didn't get the WWE game was due to TWD being so incomplete and no sign it was going to ever be finished.

What does one have to do with the other? WWE code still blows at the moment. I wouldn't worry about not being able to get a WWE LE - why not buy Derek's? Price drops by the day!

#56 4 years ago

It was a toss up between TWD Pro, ST Pro and IMVE last August and I chose ST. I'm glad I waited on TWD, but am choosing IMVE next which will be picked up in 2 weeks. I had planned on a TWD Premium, but I think I'm going to wait some more. There's a pro local to me so I should go play it.

Rob

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What does one have to do with the other? WWE code still blows at the moment. I wouldn't worry about not being able to get a WWE LE - why not buy Derek's? Price drops by the day!

I think TigerLaw made a resolution to not buy any NIB Stern until the code for his current game(s) (TWD) is relatively complete.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It was a toss up between TWD Pro, ST Pro and IMVE last August and I chose ST. I'm glad I waited on TWD, but am choosing IMVE next which will be picked up in 2 weeks. I had planned on a TWD Premium, but I think I'm going to wait some more. There's a pro local to me so I should go play it.
Rob

You should get some play time in on a Premium/LE after the code update before making a decision, especially since that should be happening pretty soon. All good game choices BTW

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

they just posted a min ago "The Product Development team here at Stern Pinball testing the new code update for The Walking Dead! Coming soon! ‪#‎SternPinball‬ ‪#‎codeiscoming"

I checked Sterns Facebook page, and did not see any new TWD videos.
Is this a video or just a picture?

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I checked Sterns Facebook page, and did not see any new TWD videos.
Is this a video or just a picture?

It's a picture of them looking at/playing TWD Premium

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Got mine a few days ago.

I get to live another day.

How you diggen it Rob?

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I get to live another day.
How you diggen it Rob?

It's an ass kicker!!

When you actually hit your shots and get things started, it can really take off and get exciting. I think this is heightened by the fact that it doesn't happen all that often because it's such an ass kicker! The out lanes are pretty brutal.

I am using a custom Pinball Browser version done by Cleland that has actual voices from the show. Excellent!

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's an ass kicker!!
When you actually hit your shots and get things started, it can really take off and get exciting. I think this is heightened by the fact that it doesn't happen all that often because it's such an ass kicker! The out lanes are pretty brutal.
I am using a custom Pinball Browser version done by Cleland that has actual voices from the show. Excellent!

I was considering using pinball browser to change mine up too, but I'll wait til the new update comes out in two weeks.

Err...I mean soon.

#64 4 years ago

Interesting they posted a lot of video on Kiss but can't post one of new TWD code..

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Interesting they posted a lot of video on Kiss but can't post one of new TWD code..

It's a code update, not super sexy or exciting like a new pin.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

True, its not like they are still manufacturing the pin.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Maybe not, but it sure feels like it!

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Maybe not, but it sure feels like it!

Getting a video of last man standing and horde would make a few guys on here all warm and fuzzy inside.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Getting a video of last man standing and horde would make a few guys on here all warm and fuzzy inside.

Agreed, I'm one of them!

#70 4 years ago

I love playing my TWD pin and that elusive Horde light.

I realize I'm not that good but reading posts and comments from people that complain about the current state of TWD code - especially those that don't own it... has always made me chuckle. Do they really even know how hard it is just to simply light up Horde? It's not like you can just turn on your pin or walk up to a location machine drop a quarter and reach Horde mode.

Owners will know what I'm talking about. Every time I've lit Horde (and it's not often) it was only after many games in a long session and one truly epic game where all the stars and planets align where I'm lucky enough just to reach that point. The times I have reached it? ...Very satisfying, and I'm about ready for a break.

Maybe it's only because I have the benefit of owning the pin and having it set up right, but just the feat of reaching Horde - that's a most satisfying achievement in and of itself, let alone what Lyman has in store for us with the up coming code update.

When I reach Horde mode I know there is nothing more to it right now and I feel like I've beat the game and accomplished something. But Lyman is going to ruin it for me and just make it deeper and harder to finish. ...Just watch.

JMO

#71 4 years ago

I think TWD is great even if the code is incomplete. There's one on location near me that I play quite often and if they hadn't risen the price even further in Australia I'd possible consider selling a couple of my current pins to fund it.

#72 4 years ago

A lot of people are starting to come join the TWD party

It's my favorite pin, still, and I've got some good ones. And more greatness is yet to come with Lyman!

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A lot of people are starting to come join the TWD party
It's my favorite pin, still, and I've got some good ones. And more greatness is yet to come with Lyman!

I agree that it's a really good game I'm still learning to appreciate.

I posted this in another thread, but Borg did some oddball stuff with the shots/layout in this one...the Arena shot down so close to the flippers and tight as hell, Riot sitting in a place that's also very tight and extremely punishing for being next to the core casual player shot in the game (prison). The shots all feel very different from each other and not like many other games I've played.

Some people feel like the pops slow down the game too much, but it has no scoop and on of the few bits of respite you get are the precious few seconds they stay in the pops. For me it's not lack of flow, it's rest.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

The shots all feel very different from each other and not like many other games I've played.

That's one reason why i love it so much, different and very difficult tight shots, not cookie cutter.

Borg may not ever reach the level of Lawlor with his creativity, but he's pretty damn good

#75 4 years ago

Getting a video of last man standing and horde would make a few guys on here all warm and fuzzy inside

Why would anyone want to spoil the thrill of getting there and getting the animation, etc.. for the first time, by watching a vid?
I wouldn't be a fan of those videos

#76 4 years ago

Damn amazing Pin, as a complete Walker immersion....I have to kill Walkers!

The lights, art, look...Amazing job! I love the extra original callouts when added, and the extra magnet
in a Premium/LE, feels like programmed Chaos....different then X-men.

One thing getting me is the Skill Shot...I am up to 2 Million.
Brilliant for each ball to pre-time it correct.

I look forward to the update...there is so much that can be done.

A subwoofer and shaker make the game scary...Its like they were meant to be there.

I added a Gut Hanging Zombie, waiting on my buckets of body parts, and the blood splatter decals..

Its just me, as a big fan of the show, and it kicks my ass every night...my R&R....Awesome...CODE!

#77 4 years ago

Twd is the funniest pin ive ever played

#78 4 years ago

They've been saying this for months now! Funny that Stern posted almost as the same time as I did this morning! Why don't they post an actual code update timeline and stick to it? Saying you are working on code just seems overly open ended. It's like saying "I'm going to retire"...eventually that will come true.
They should say. Code update coming in May...and stick to the damn timeline.
wheres-the-code-stern-pinball-broken-record.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Stick to posting garbage like this on your whinefest waste of space @wheresthecode thread Flash. I guess when the code does drop you will be taking credit for it like you did with ST

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

I think TWD is great even if the code is incomplete. There's one on location near me that I play quite often and if they hadn't risen the price even further in Australia I'd possible consider selling a couple of my current pins to fund it.

I know where there's one for sale...

#80 4 years ago

I own one and still find it to be pretty meh with current code. The shot layout is already holding it back (2 shots to dead end of pop bumpers with a single safe exit) so it needs a killer code update to make it worthwhile in the long term. Honestly this is its major failure. If even 1 of those shots make a clean path back to mid playfield it would be so much better.

I also really dislike the crappy lighting code. So many times where bright white lights go completely dark and the ball is still moving is frankly stupid programming. They need to at least leave the GI on. I get the effect they are going for, but when game play is compromised for effect, they have missed the mark IMO.

TWD is an OK game at best (sorry but nothing is going to fix a poor layout that shoots somewhat clunky), but sure hope is gets the code update it deserves to keep it in the middle tier of newer sterns.

#81 4 years ago

I love the layout on TWD. Shots are harder then regular, but not clunky.
Each player will experience this differently, I find star trek ramps and flow a little too easy for example.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

So many times where bright white lights go completely dark and the ball is still moving is frankly stupid programming.

I LOVE this. Like when you hit the WW. Makes it much harder to find the ball and adds to the frantic survival nature of the game.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I LOVE this. Like when you hit the WW. Makes it much harder to find the ball and adds to the frantic survival nature of the game.

cheap drains are bad/lazy programming IMO and should be fixed. There is no reason they can't leave on GI and give you the same effect by dimming all inserts or flashing and then dimming.

I am guessing you do not play in a dimmed room. In a well lit room it is fine as ambient light provides enough light, but in a dim room it is a complete failure in code on a game that is already set up for cheap drains.

#84 4 years ago

The LE currently has no "lights out" as the Pro does, but I've been hoping it would go to red instead and turn the whites off for zombie hits.

#85 4 years ago

Pro still beats prem/LE gameplay wise?

I wonder if the code update will make more use of color changing inserts? That would be a + for prem/LE then?

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am guessing you do not play in a dimmed room.

I actually play probably 3-4 hours a weeks in a smoky dimly lit bar. Believe me, the ball is barely visible during these blackout periods.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The LE currently has no "lights out" as the Pro does, but I've been hoping it would go to red instead and turn the whites off for zombie hits.

This would look awesome. Cool idea.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OMG, people think TOPPERS are "LE's" now..

Um, no. You missed my point. Though I should know better than to post an anti-Stern message in a thread rife with mindless automatons and stepford Stern fans. What I’m saying is this: if I’m paying exorbitant prices for an LE model, and Stern is producing a topper, then it should be included with the game. It’s called extending good will to a loyal customer base. No, an LE should have complete code when it ships and Stern…ha ha, laughing too hard to even finish my post. Completed code coming in the spring of 2020!

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I completely agree the black out is one of the coolest effects in modern pinball!

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just don't agree with that.
Do I wish that games just shipped finished? Yes.
But given that they don't, and that's just reality, I'd rather they were done right, and we were just kept in the loop in the meantime. Does that mean "hey, feel free to take a year?" Nope. But I don't want "we'll have it in 2 weeks!" and then some bugs or ideas come up and they need more like 4, but since they posted a date they either rush it or people flip out.
Tell us that you're working on it. Tell us you'll give us a date when you feel comfortable giving one. Give the date then. Meet it.
If you rinse and repeat that then everyone will feel informed, and way more comfortable. Just doing it sometimes doesn't work though, you have to keep it up. That's how you build back some trust and understanding.

I would like to add to aurich's comments about the level of transparency from stern

I agree that it would be nice about the "we're working on it" [by title] along with other statuses like "no code changes planned" and "code finalized on mm-dd-yyyy with version no. x.xxx", but what also needs to occur is something of a "proposed target" date along with monthly or quarterly status updates.
this way it kind of puts stern in the position to hit those targets and brings to light those updates that missed their proposed target dates.

this would put some sense of responsibility on the development teams to hit the goals that they, themselves are setting.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Stick to posting garbage like this on your whinefest waste of space @wheresthecode thread Flash. I guess when the code does drop you will be taking credit for it like you did with ST

I gave credit to Stern when they released ST code and made post on Facebook about it. I might have answered some people's comments about how wheresthecode in their mind changed things but never took credit and tapped my back and pounded my chest like a mad gorilla. I always said that it couldn't hurt trying and tried making statements with graphics.

BTW people are still waiting on TWD code 7 months after the game came out. So if anyone believes it takes an extra 5000 hours to code the remaining missing bits they are clearly delusional! It's not like the programmers have to start from scratch. I'm sure at least 40% of the code on the machines is repurposed from machine to machine (inlane/outlane scoring : top inlane scoring : bumper scoring : target scoring, GI code, opto codes etc...)

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

I completely agree the black out is one of the coolest effects in modern pinball!

cool idea but poor execution

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

cool idea but poor execution

I guess it all depends on your perspective - when I want to have a good game I play with a couple of background lights on. When I want to have a thrill I turn all the lights in the room off and just play the game - - when the lights go out, the music changes and gets all creepy, I really feel more of a connection to the theme... I don't think I've ever had a drain as a direct result of those lights turning off either.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I guess it all depends on your perspective - when I want to have a good game I play with a couple of background lights on. When I want to have a thrill I turn all the lights in the room off and just play the game - - when the lights go out, the music changes and gets all creepy, I really feel more of a connection to the theme... I don't think I've ever had a drain as a direct result of those lights turning off either.

unfortunately on location the background lights are not something I can easily control.

I think for some people it is worse than others as I often have a hard time with light adjustment and my eyes seem to have a slower lag than most when going from bright to dark. I often loose a ball when the game goes from super bright to complete black. I think they could get the same effect without going completely black (I really like the suggestion of going red but that will only work for prem/le). I think the best thing would be to go black except for lower GI string which they shoudl just dim.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

unfortunately on location the background lights are not something I can easily control.

What, pinball is played on location and not just in people's basements? Yeah, good point. It'd be nice to have an option - "crazy, scary lighting" and "dark and dreary, but still readable."

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

What, pinball is played on location and not just in people's basements? Yeah, good point. It'd be nice to have an option - "crazy, scary lighting" and "dark and dreary, but still readable."

lol, yup ocassionally on location

I love end user selectable features and thing that would be perfect. I see no reason they can't put something like that in the user menu. The more options you provide an awner (route or home), the better.

#97 4 years ago

It's almost here! From Stern's Facebook page:

Can we see Walking Dead update video?

"Yes, you can! We do not want to leave you guys hanging. We actually have 20+ posts lined up... trying our best not to spam your newsfeed... so much news... so many pics... so many videos... so... much... stuff!

Expect a TWD update video soon."

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think it's really cool too, although I have heard other people complain about it at leagues. I feel it adds to the overall theme. Seriously, when was the last time a zombie was scary standing in the middle of a field in broad daylight?

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

It's almost here! From Stern's Facebook page:
Can we see Walking Dead update video?
"Yes, you can! We do not want to leave you guys hanging. We actually have 20+ posts lined up... trying our best not to spam your newsfeed... so much news... so many pics... so many videos... so... much... stuff!
Expect a TWD update video soon."

You're welcome, I asked them that.

#100 4 years ago

They've been saying this for months now! Funny that Stern posted almost as the same time as I did this morning! Why don't they post an actual code update timeline and stick to it? Saying you are working on code just seems overly open ended. It's like saying "I'm going to retire"...eventually that will come true.
They should say. Code update coming in May...and stick to the damn timeline.
wheres-the-code-stern-pinball-broken-record.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

How about stick to your own thread where you are a legend in your own mind.

A little friendly advise and incite Flash: Your thread has zero influence on Sterns actions regarding code and updates and I'm without a doubt sure it promotes nothing but negative attitudes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westchester, IL
$ 16.00
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 690 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside