index.jpg
IMAG1162.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0785-1.JPG
IMG_0790.JPG
STERN-PINBALL-TIP-OF-THE-HAT.jpg
IMAG2049.jpg
image-913.jpg

There are 690 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.
#451 8 years ago

Anybody know if you can start a mode in the middle of multiball? Most games require you to start a mode before entering multi-ball (risk vs reward), but I believe TWD allows mode start during MB. Possible bug, or...just seems odd

#452 8 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Anybody know if you can start a mode in the middle of multiball? Most games require you to start a mode before entering multi-ball (risk vs reward), but I believe TWD allows mode start during MB. Possible bug, or...just seems odd

Yes you can. Hopefully variety is not a "bug" in this case.

#453 8 years ago

lol - Your comparison of TWD to a fine lady seems to change...

Quoted from iceman44:

You have to treat TWD like a fine lady,
This pin is a bitch, Gotta treat her right

#454 8 years ago

I'd like the woodburry to be more interesting than just some points.
Also when you shoot it when it's not lit, it's really a lost shot that doesn't do anything.
At least it could make a sound

Apart from that, I like the gameplay more than before.

#455 8 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

I like the change for this particular game. There's still plenty of risk vs reward. This adds to the frenzied, crazy action TWD gives during MB as you have to keep thinking about what should I do now. TWD may have the most frenzied, crazy action (in a good way) multiballs of any game out there.

IMO they were trying to go for the tension/build up, and then excitement of the show - and they've succeeded big time. If it weren't for the license issue with the voices, TWD would have been much more popular right out of the gate. I still think AMC would be better off letting Stern include the voices - it would be better marketing for the show. I know they don't *need* it, but every little bit counts.

#456 8 years ago

I've been waiting this one out to see how the code turns out. What is the general consensus? Time to pull the trigger? And while we are seeking opinions, Pro or Premium?

#457 8 years ago
Quoted from PinJeff:

I've been waiting this one out to see how the code turns out. What is the general consensus? Time to pull the trigger? And while we are seeking opinions, Pro or Premium?

I have an LE. I like the crossbow and bicycle girl ramp but not worth an extra $2500. The pro is plenty good on this one. The new code is really good. Still needs more though. One more solid update and it will be as good as any recent stern.

I love the game but don't think I got good value paying for the LE. I would go pro if I had to do it again.

#458 8 years ago

I've played the pro and the LE. glad i got the LE. pro was fun but felt it was a little empty after playing the LE. i enjoy the sound of the spinners and the cross bow is just as rewarding as any cannon/gun on other games. Bicycle girl bash is fun, and well walker magnet adds a little. And although i like to use a shooter rod i find my self using the shooter button when not shooting for Woodbury I like the quality of the LE /over pro, lock bar/ play field access,back glass. But like any thing else it where you want to be.

#459 8 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

I'd like the woodburry to be more interesting than just some points.
Also when you shoot it when it's not lit, it's really a lost shot that doesn't do anything.
At least it could make a sound
Apart from that, I like the gameplay more than before.

While the Woodbury Skill Shot could add some more game specific rewards, I really enjoy the actual shot on the LE. Ripping those spinners and earning 16 million points for the spins was pretty damn cool last night.

Yep. 16 million points. The 2X playfield was lit, but I did not use "X" to get it to 16 million. A 32 million shot would have been crazy!

Marcus

#460 8 years ago

Somehow the new code is making me drain more

#461 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I like the change for this particular game. There's still plenty of risk vs reward. This adds to the frenzied, crazy action TWD gives during MB as you have to keep thinking about what should I do now. TWD may have the most frenzied, crazy action (in a good way) multiballs of any game out there.
IMO they were trying to go for the tension/build up, and then excitement of the show - and they've succeeded big time. If it weren't for the license issue with the voices, TWD would have been much more popular right out of the gate. I still think AMC would be better off letting Stern include the voices - it would be better marketing for the show. I know they don't *need* it, but every little bit counts.

The increased value of the drops has made them a very attractive option now. And a dangerous one at that, so great job on the Risk v Reward, Lyman. The multipliers work on their point adds to the multiball modes, too - so if you get a triple, and then drop the First aid, you're effectively adding a million points to every Prison jackpot shot in the multiball. Very cool opportunity to plan that shot. especially if you can add a playfield doubler to it as well.

#462 8 years ago
Quoted from PinJeff:

It's a reasonable time to consider a purchase; I wonder if anyone knows how long Stern will be licensed to sell the TWD pins. Or if you want to buy used, then timing doesn't matter as much. There will be another code update or two, but the machine is getting positive feedback with the latest update from more people. As for which model, there won't be a general consensus and opinions will be all over the place on such a personal evaluation.

I find the le/prem walker bombs intriguing in the new coding, which isn't available on the pro (discussed earlier in this thread in the new code feedback posts).

#463 8 years ago

If anyone is looking to sell a premium, let me know.

#464 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Please demonstrate anywhere on AC/DC you can build the song jackpot, and qualify it, with as little as 7 shots to 50 million.
The tunnel is worth TOO DAMN MUCH.
index.jpg
*edit* Edited from 5 to 7 shots to present a more realistic scenario on TWD. Two shots to drop three drops, one to start the mode, then 6, 6, 12, 12(doubled) for 48 million plus various points from coincidental values.

Comparing scoring between two different games in meaningless.

#465 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Comparing scoring between two different games in meaningless.

So is quoting the person that was responding to the person that brought up AC/DC.

Oops.

#466 8 years ago
Quoted from PinJeff:

I am an owner.

Pro is plenty on this title.

I would wait for another code update before pulling the trigger.
Frankly the game is still not polished enough to warrent the purchase IMO. It is getting better but not all the way there. Hold your cash for a while longer.

Stern has now promised 2 more code updates so no harm in waiting it out for a while.

#467 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am an owner.
Frankly the game is still not polished enough to warrent the purchase IMO. It is getting better but not all the way there. Hold your cash for a while longer.
Stern has now promised 2 more code updates so no harm in waiting it out for a while.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Whysnow.

I have the opportunity to play LE daily and the Pro weekly at the Tuesday night tournaments that I attend every week.

It's not even close in my opinion. The LE/Premium v1.24 is far superior to the Pro v1.24. The addition of the single drop target and spinner for the Woodbury shot along with the extra Well Walker Magnet, the crossbow toy and the Bicycle Girl Bash toy make the LE/Premium the preferred version IMHO.

And even though TWD will be getting two more code releases, v1.24 is amazing. I would recommend buying a premium NIB and enjoying the v1.24 code until the new code gets released.

I don't see prices falling on TWD now that v1.24 is out. Might as well get one now to enjoy while you wait for the new code.

In my view, TWD is a great machine regardless of your choice of Pro or Prem/LE. But if you can swing the price difference, I think you'll be very happy that you went Premium over Pro.

That's my advice anyway.

Marcus

#468 8 years ago

I know Pinside top 100 rank can be somewhat arbitrary, but do you guys think TWD will move up at all due to this particular update? I guess a better question would be - did this update increase YOUR rating of the game? #71 for the Premium/LE just seems really low for how fun the game seemed even with the old code.

#469 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So is quoting the person that was responding to the person that brought up AC/DC.
Oops.

Your reply makes no sense.

Oops.

#470 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am an owner.

Totally agree. Not an owner of either, but I have played plenty of both and the extra cost just isn't there IMHO. BG ramp is a negative and the other LE specific features are either under utilized or just give or take for me. The lighting being the only exception as usual for the LE models, but I would not pay that much of a premium for lights.

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I have the opportunity to play LE daily and the Pro weekly at the Tuesday night tournaments that I attend every week.
It's not even close in my opinion. The LE/Premium v1.24 is far superior to the Pro v1.24. The addition of the single drop target and spinner for the Woodbury shot along with the extra Well Walker Magnet, the crossbow toy and the Bicycle Girl Bash toy make the LE/Premium the preferred version IMHO.

The pro will not keep up to the GI possibilities moving forward either. Saw Horde mode on the LE last night - phenomenal atmosphere.

Also the walker/prison bombs greatly change how I approached MB's. They can be used like VIP passes to save a drained ball right before MB start. Very powerful if used properly.

#472 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

BG ramp is a negative and the other LE specific features are either under utilized or just give or take for me.

This is my feeling also. I really dislike the Bgirl ramp on the prem/le and most of the other features are not worth the upcharge.

The lights are cool but besides that, the pro shots better IMO.

I still would wait for another code update or 2. There is really no downside to waiting for Stern to come through on their promise for 2 more codes.

Better to wait for the polish IMO.

#473 8 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

And even though TWD will be getting two more code releases, v1.24 is amazing. I would recommend buying a premium NIB and enjoying the v1.24 code until the new code gets released.
I don't see prices falling on TWD now that v1.24 is out. Might as well get one now to enjoy while you wait for the new code.
In my view, TWD is a great machine regardless of your choice of Pro or Prem/LE. But if you can swing the price difference, I think you'll be very happy that you went Premium over Pro.
That's my advice anyway.
Marcus

This^^^

The ranking on Pinside is silly. But I prefer things that are under the radar anyway. This game gets played 10x more than my acdc bib that I looooove. Still, after 6 months. Addicting

#474 8 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

This game gets played 10x more than my acdc bib that I looooove. Still, after 6 months. Addicting

Wow, that says a lot!

#475 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Your reply makes no sense.
Oops.

I gave you a thumbs down.

Oops.

Anyways... we done yet?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#476 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am an owner.

The extra code on the LE/Premium along with the toys do make it worthwhile in my opinion. Nothing better then using some walker bombs to activate a multi-ball right as ball #3 drains to save the day.

At the end of the day none of the LE/Premiums have enough extra things to make up the cost. What matters is if they make the game substantially more enjoyable. Say what you want about the bicycle-girl ramp but I love when that thing pops ups and my red mod light lights it up.

#477 8 years ago

I would love to try and LE/Prem and see the differences. I have a pro and am pretty content with it.

#478 8 years ago

I find that the Premium/LE Version is very much worth the difference both in Game Play, and Mood.

What gets me with this game, and I have not updated yet, is its insanely addictive, especially if you are a fan. From Music, lighting, shots and Modes....a full experience, like AC/DC.

I recently picked up a MET, and I think the game play is great, but not the music integration.

I loved Tron, but the music was so strong and addicting, Id be humming it all night in my sleep!

I think the game is different for everyone, based on what makes the happy...Modes, flow, depth...
I find TWD unique among others for the theme, especially.

As far as back to Pro vs Premium....Used Premiums, like I picked up, IMO only, seem to be a good
buy. I paid less then 20% difference from a Pro, and the 2 Magnets alone, to me, are worth it alone.

I play poorly, so I dont rack up points like others, but just love the total experience this game gives..
excited to upgrade shortly.....

#479 8 years ago

I have the LE, one of my favorites , updating to the new code in the morning and hope it is successful . Can't
wait to play it.

#480 8 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Bicycle Girl Bash toy make the LE/Premium the preferred version IMHO.

This is the single biggest thing that make the pro better. I cannot pull the trigger on a prem because of this.

#481 8 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

I have the LE, one of my favorites , updating to the new code in the morning and hope it is successful . Can't
wait to play it.

Well, you're jaw will hit the floor when you get a few games on it and get to Horde!

As for the pro versus the premium/le, I'd NOT go for the pro because I do think the value is there.

For me, and I've played a ton on the pro on location, it plays way too different for me, doesn't have the same feel, can't really explain it.

The lighting
BG ramp
Spinners
Fish Tank
Extra magnet

All make it worth it

Hopefully the Crossbow will become more relevant

It's a GREAT pin imo.

If judging by how much you play a pin, its all I still play, my favorite Stern that I own.

#482 8 years ago

Just had my best game yet 420mil. Made it 5 rounds into horde and choked. That's one of the coolest modes ever in a pin. The tension is insane. The red lighting, looking up to see how close they are, hitting a bomb just in time to advance, just freaking WOW.

And this is not even the wizard mode? How can last man standing ever top horde? If the next two updates are even close to this last one TWD is going to be insane.

#483 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just had my best game yet 420mil. Made it 5 rounds into horde and choked. That's one of the coolest modes ever in a pin. The tension is insane. The red lighting, looking up to see how close they are, hitting a bomb just in time to advance, just freaking WOW.
And this is not even the wizard mode? How can last man standing ever top horde? If the next two updates are even close to this last one TWD is going to be insane.

I didn't know what I was doing with Horde yet but it is an amazing mode. It's pops up and its like holy crap! TABA is cool but this is something else.

The blue fire button saves the prison MB as I understand it right? What is the strategy with the green lit fire button?

#484 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I didn't know what I was doing with Horde yet but it is an amazing mode. It's pops up and its like holy crap! TABA is cool but this is something else.
The blue fire button saves the prison MB as I understand it right? What is the strategy with the green lit fire button?

Same thing as prison but with well walker multi instead. Counts as a hit when pressed.

#485 8 years ago

I have a pro and have been really enjoying the update! Pros are a hell of a lot more unforgiving and brutal than Prem/LEs, so it's an uphill battle to get to Horde, but feels very rewarding.

Horde is a great mini wizard, but not incredible IMO. He ambiance is great, fantastic start with the heart beat in time with the shaker motor. But the rules are very linear. Best wizards, IMO, are still DR and DP from XM, with TABA coming in second.

TWD is so brutal, but I love it because it fits the theme so well, I really feel like I'm struggling to survive, and the new update has a lot of rewarding aspects and a lot of new angles to take to maximize scoring.

My biggest thing I'd like to be implemented is that multi-kills actually kill MULTIPLE zombies per shot, depending on how many MK modes you're stacking. This would make getting to Seige more attainable if you stack MK modes wisely, and give more backend benefits to the MK modes in general by helping you reach LMS. I dunno, just makes sense to me.

#486 8 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

My biggest thing I'd like to be implemented is that multi-kills actually kill MULTIPLE zombies per shot, depending on how many MK modes you're stacking. This would make getting to Seige more attainable if you stack MK modes wisely, and give more backend benefits to the MK modes in general by helping you reach LMS. I dunno, just makes sense to me.

Great point. It really should give 2 kills. Even on my best games I only end up with 70 kills or so and that's when I make getting them a priority.

#487 8 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

this is a really good suggestion

#488 8 years ago

Is Last Man Standing the wizard mode Or is it Seige? How do you start Seige?

#489 8 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

I said last man earlier but siege probably is. Have not gotten either one yet. Going to play a lot today, will see...

#490 8 years ago

I want to say LMS is, but this game is kinda weird in that there's no mode for "completing everything" like in most pins, so they may, in fact, be 3 mini-wizards, rather than 1 big one......but LMS is definitely the hardest to get to, by far.

To start Seige, you have to get 17 or more zombie kill DURING PrisonMB, then Seige will be lit at the Prison once PrisonMB is over.

LMS is started at 115 total zombie kills @_@

#491 8 years ago

Another opinion Premium/LE is on this game the best choice (again, just my opinion). I played the Pro several times but picked up the LE last week and wow...

I did not expect to say this because of all the bad stuff that is said about TWD in the past, but it is easily my favorite Pin that I own or have owned. I did not ever have that experience with another pin. They need to grow on me but this one is addictive, fast, difficult and just plain fun. Really good atmosphere. The ranking is a joke.

I understand that not everybody likes the same games (thankfully) so it is just my experience. I - for instance - also love WoZ and not everybody does.

#492 8 years ago

Wizard Modes on TWD...
- Siege is a mini-wizard mode - X jackpots (or X multikills?) during Prison MB to light.
- Horde is a mini-wizard mode - Complete all Multikill lights (5)
- Last Man Standing is the big wizard mode - Get 115 zombie kills (numbers surrounding LMS light).

Also 4 multi-balls...
- Prison
- Well Walker
- Blood Bath
- Crossbow

#493 8 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I did not expect to say this because of all the bad stuff that is said about TWD in the past, but it is easily my favorite Pin that I own or have owned. I did not ever have that experience with another pin. They need to grow on me but this one is addictive, fast, difficult and just plain fun. Really good atmosphere. The ranking is a joke.

John Borg agrees with you...

"...Mr. Borg HAS been quoted on record as saying this is his best design ever..."

http://creditdotpinball.com/tag/john-borg/

#494 8 years ago

Feed out of the pops says otherwise.

#495 8 years ago

Twd is the funniest pin I've ever played!!!! ive found my holy grail pin

#496 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Feed out of the pops says otherwise.

You'd rather have pops that are "caged" and have zero chance of delivering the ball to you randomly, and zero chance of losing the ball?

I hate those kind of pop configurations. Zero reason to even bother having them. And yes, there are plenty of pins like that, a lot of them are Sterns. As long as it doesn't constantly send the ball SDTM, I prefer having at least some chance of losing the ball from the pops. Similar to TAF or TZ etc.

#497 8 years ago

No, I prefer a compromise? Look at my game list. Comet is the only game I have where I consider the pops to be totally "safe". I love Avatar, but the pops on that game drive me absolutely nuts. Tron? Left side drain from pops. Metallica? Left side drain from pops. Crescendo....don't even get me started on that mofo...

The feed on TWD Pro, SPECIFICALLY, is crap. It has nothing to do with the pops themselves, they are basically entirely caged IMO. It has to do with the metal guide and the post, just like the feed out of AC/DC's pops are very dependent on the level of the game for the same reason, TWD has the same "issue" in the opposite direction. I'm just saying that to call it his best work is not the case is all. I love that he took risks on this game...the right ramp is awesome.

It's pretty telling that you mention TAF and TZ for comparisons, since those games are NOTORIOUS for boning you with the pops..

#498 8 years ago

Twd is the best stern pin ever made imo

#499 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm just saying that to call it his best work is not the case is all.

Uh, John Borg has a right to his opinion just as much as you do yours. After all, HE did design the playfield. Yes?

#500 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Uh, John Borg has a right to his opinion just as much as you do yours. After all, HE did design the playfield. Yes?

So why are you bothering to post this if we are all allowed to have an opinion?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
There are 690 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-twd-code-update-coming-soon/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.