8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoko2una.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#206 6 years ago

Horseshoe loop, rising (under LCD???) 3-target bank, artwork that we're hating on at reveal... is this SW or a Spooky reveal?

#308 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No need for 2 LCD's.
They could have put a cool toy there

Well there probably was a 'Princess in a can' and Stern saw how well those toys went over.

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The Zen tables are a couple bucks, this is $8k.

Yup, which means Zen is hitting the eyes of that many more people.

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's worth pointing out that the TIE Fighter toy isn't in those playfield pics. The video mentions and shows it. There may be more to show in regards to the playfield.

I think it actually is. It just looks very thin if that's what I'm seeing. To the left of the mini LCD.

#764 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

One thing I wish they would have had was a light saber that would light up along the shooter lane almost like star wars episode 1

At LEAST they've learned that including the long-style shooter lane takes away one extra shot. By having it spit out early, it freed up the real estate for the scoop lane on the right.

#1845 6 years ago

So the Tie fighter is spring loaded like the ST Pro ship, there's a right outlane divert back to the shooter, and a lot of good interaction with the LCD. I'd like to know what the force targets are, do they enable magnets, and if so where they are. Also, what else does the Pro lack that the Premium has.

#1854 6 years ago

Video is actually a lot more impressive on mute while playing the Star Wars theme in my head. F*** that music was bad. If they were releasing a Gin Blossoms or Counting Crows pin, maybe that generic 'mom rock' riff would work, but maybe try something with a bit more energy or a future theme for Star Wars.

#1881 6 years ago

Game certainly looks fun. Hell it's a SR title... but no Force magnets...

rain (resized).jpgrain (resized).jpg

#2036 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

What are we looking at here? Ball release. "Ramp" also?

I think so. On the Pro, that feature is replaced with 2 prong posts like in Avatar or XM. This must be the jump ramp that gets you into the hyperspace loop.

#2452 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I like where the reasoning is going with this one. "Since there are zero toys on a bare PF ...MAYBE they are allocating all these savings towards code development!"

More like you can now buy these "EZ Mount Add-On" toys after the fact in the Stern shop!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2657 6 years ago

Still scratching my head on the "MTFBWY" diverter on the Prem/LE. On ST, its a difference maker because a physical kickback exists on the Prem/LE which puts the ball back in play much quicker than the Pro which has the software kick a ball in the shooter lane and then up to the pops.

On SW Prem/LE, the ball will divert into the shooter lane, and on the Pro the outlane switch will... also trigger a ball back into the shooter lane, right? Why even have this feature at all on the Prem/LE? IMO, that seems like overkill on the BoM that could've been used elsewhere.

#2691 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

That's a great question; doesn't seem like a good use of BOM. Visually not that rewarding or different. From a play standpoint, essentially identical to a software based ball save that kicks another ball into the shooter and fires it off.

I know, right? There's zero gameplay difference between the two. Why did they reinvent the wheel for an outlane save for a different model? Take that BoM cost and put an X-wing flying over the pops or something... or just relocate the coil used for this Prem/LE outlane save to the Tie Fighter to kick the stupid spring around.

#2936 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Interactive 3-1/4" molded TIE Fighter bash toy rocks and reacts to every ball strike

But does it react to every ball strike (in general... because it's just a weight on a spring) or do you have to actually hit that mini target to make the thing shake? Does movement of the actual toy register and give you points... or is it just a spring behind a mini target and local vibrations make it wiggle a bit? Does more movement equal more points?

One is what I'd call a true "bash" toy, and the other one is a conveniently placed spring near a target that would act no differently otherwise.

#3406 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I agree - but not because I don't know the shows. I'm very familiar with GoT and Star Wars.
I think this feature (now starting to become a trend?) is making the games too complicated - period. This makes the games more fun for a small % of people and less fun for a large % of people.
- Picking your house / character is similar to video games - NOT a good thing IMO
- Not user friendly for novices (or anyone) just stepping up to a game
- Other than collectors who own the game and die-hard pinball players, most people can't figure out GoT
- Simply not necessary - Pinball is NOT a video game (thank god)
IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE - this is NOT the same as picking a Mode -
Choosing a song in AC/DC or Aerosmith is fine - you aren't picking a character with different "abilities" that changes how the modes work/score based on that character.

Agreed on some of the initial selection/complexity for casuals. For a while we had 3 GoT's on location - 2 Prem's and 1 Pro - one of each model at locations where lots of casual players visited. The amount of casual players that just hit start and launched a ball without choosing a house was staggering. Those who did toggle houses, looked puzzled at the benefits each house gave because they couldn't understand the meaning.

Ever talk to someone who is outside your field and they start talking in their own lexicon and you get lost immediately? This happens to me every time I call my I.T. department at work... or as a drummer when I talk to a guitarist and they get into music theory.

I like the strategy as playing as different houses/characters with different advantages, but for a casual player I sincerely hope Stern uses that new big screen to explain the differences of each character in plain English. Seeing "Bonus +5X" means jack to a newbie as that's really more of a player's phrase. Maybe have a blurb pop up next to it which gives it a bit more context will allow casual players to understand what the heck they're selecting AND why. Don't dumb down a game for newbies, as pinball would never progress for hardcore players. Instead keep adding features but make them easy to understand if they're going to be on location (and that doesn't mean rule cards with 1pt font and 10 paragraphs).

#3410 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Isn't all pinball like this? Almost every novice player I interact with says the same thing, "I never knew there were rules in pinball". Selecting a hero or house or song or whatever is the same thing, a rule.

I don't know. Friends seem to do pretty well with looking at the 4 beginning choices on my BF, and there really isn't any audio prompt to look at the screen and choose anything. GoT has a very audible cue.

But a limitation on DMD games may have been the resolution of the dots and resulting text you can squeeze. With these HD displays, they now have the larger real estate AND better resolution to give a bit more info than shorthand notes. I'd hope they'd use that to their advantage, especially if it was available to turn on in the options so location play for ever-increasingly complex games could be easy to approach.

#3535 6 years ago

That pic of the Pro a few posts up... is that the same ramp as the Beta ramp in ST Pro? It looks exactly the same (overall placement, reverse letter-R path at the top, ride the right edge of the cabinet all the way down).

If it's not, it's damn close. Matter of fact, the left ramp looks a lot like the Alpha in the same regard...

1 week later
#3815 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Aerosmith shipped with decent sound right? (I've only played it on location in a noisy enviroment)

Yes, as Jacky has professional voicework done, specifically for the game. Aerosmith's out-of-box sound and voice package was light years ahead of the BM66 that I played (granted it probably didn't have code updates yet, but it still was just effects and no voice feedback about gameplay/objectives).

1 week later
#4323 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wouldn't worry about it, the new Stern assembly team is on it!

Shit, did you check with the parents of these kids to make sure they haven't scammed a bunch of Pinsiders out of hundreds of thousands of dollars? If so, the proactive move would be to remove their faces from the photo!

1 week later
#5448 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Tits and Ass is what came to mind first but I knew that couldn't be it.

It's probably time TNA becomes a Pinside linked acronym/Game Tag. Lots are questioning the meaning of this acronym across many threads. It's an announced title from an established manufacturer. Having it display "Total Nuclear Annihilation - Spooky Pinball" on cursor hover will help a lot I think.

Anyways, back to SW...

3 months later
#7409 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

As long as it doesn't actually crack in half and fall down I would imagine most route operators will be fine with it.

Until they go to sell it, and I go to the location to buy it... only to see the cab is cracked on both sides and I say I'm no longer interested. They say they're willing to negotiate while mentioning that since the cracking they've reinforced the corners. I then say I'm still not interested as that's going to be a pain when I go to sell and generally looks ugly as hell w/ ripped decals on both corners.

That happened to me a month ago, and I bet it wasn't the first or last time an operator tries to sell a routed game w/ cracked cabinet. If they have to take a financial hit when reselling, operators will certainly care as that's effecting the bottom line.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Shore, NY
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoko2una.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=yoko2una and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.