8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 6 years ago

It almost looks like a modded No Fear.

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

i think GOT Pro proved with its simple layout and unpacked playfield that fun doesnt equal clutter on playfield.

I don't know, I've never been able to get into GOT. It just doesn't feel like a "game". These Stern pins always feel like I'm crunching numbers - pile up a bunch of stuff, hope I see a big number.

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I want to go on an adventure as I wind my way through a game and see all the cool features that a game has to offer.
Collecting points isn't really why I play pinball.

Star wars has got to be one of the biggest sci-fi adventure stories there is.

That's part of why I was disappointed by GOT, because it really doesn't feel like an adventure in the GOT world, which it very easily could have done.

#1079 6 years ago

Someone should start a "positivity only" safe space Stern thread so everyone else can crab in peace.

#1126 6 years ago

I felt the same going from DI to BM66, which really underlined how flimsy Sterns feel. Mostly it's just disappointing, which is a potent and frustrating emotion. I want pinball to progress as an art form and game style, and if anything Stern is just treading water, if not actually regressing.

#1128 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Stern is making a lot of cash. That is what they care about.

Well, yeah, I think that's generally understood.

#1428 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Holy f'in s--t does everyone here make 200k +? lol. Biweekly paychecks would put you at around that amount for 8k/check..

Haha I was gonna say, an 8k pin is like five months of paychecks for me.

#1463 6 years ago

I mean, ST, GOT, and ACDC are all pretty notably fugly so he's not having a great run, artwise.

#1466 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...but the games are freakin' AWESOME!!!

It's funny, but I've never really been able to get into any of them, though I'm not a big Steve Ritchie fan. I just don't find his pins very, idk, involving? They feel like the "game" is secondary to the ruleset.

#1471 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Fair enough. That's the way I generally feel about Pat Lawlor.

pitchforks (resized).jpgpitchforks (resized).jpg

#1556 6 years ago

The whole point of the internet is you can be a gigantic dickbag with almost no consequences, stop trying to squash my fun!!

#1620 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Rather see Elwin do Guardians then Trudeau.

Oh wow, I totally forgot they gave him a job. It'll be nice to see a hot guy in the publicity photos for once.

#2063 6 years ago

$2000 dollars? Jesus.

#2412 6 years ago

We'll see how the flow and code is but until then,

cashgrab2000 (resized).jpgcashgrab2000 (resized).jpg

#2454 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

How many times are you going to say that? Is Stern paying you a per diem on this?

wayne (resized).jpgwayne (resized).jpg

#2524 6 years ago

Hans Olo is my favorite character.

#2695 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

For all of you that keep saying, "it's less than I expected but at least it's Star Wars and will play well", I give you this:

A twink? Thanks!

#2735 6 years ago

If Ghostbusters had Hobbit's build quality and mode style, or if Hobbit had had Ghostbusters's engaging, oddball layout, I would like either way more.

#2748 6 years ago

I honestly can't say that I've played any Stern pin that feels as sturdy and smooth as Dialed In.

#2762 6 years ago

It would be interesting if it held the ball and then gave you another ball, and you had to knock it out like a captive ball to start a two-ball multiball.

#2781 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ala Avatar, but doubt it happens. Doesn't look like there is a good way to do that in the SW design. I mean, how can you tell it's knocked out?

Isn't that an opto under the ramp? All the game would need to know is that the gate is triggered followed by an optical interruption.

edit: I'm assuming it's just for the video mode, but it'd be a neat trick.

#2783 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

But then how would you stop the next ball from slamming in from behind on the loop? It isn't gonna happen boys.

Which is why I prefaced my theory with "it would be interesting if", haha

#2847 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

State of this thread:

The whole forum, really.

#2896 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Might even be a belly bar for some

Aye haha, might as well put this sucker to use.

#3329 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I agree - but not because I don't know the shows. I'm very familiar with GoT and Star Wars.
I think this feature (now starting to become a trend?) is making the games too complicated - period. This makes the games more fun for a small % of people and less fun for a large % of people.
- Picking your house / character is similar to video games - NOT a good thing IMO
- Not user friendly for novices (or anyone) just stepping up to a game
- Other than collectors who own the game and die-hard pinball players, most people can't figure out GoT
- Simply not necessary - Pinball is NOT a video game (thank god)
IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE - this is NOT the same as picking a Mode -
Choosing a song in AC/DC or Aerosmith is fine - you aren't picking a character with different "abilities" that changes how the modes work/score based on that character.
I also reject the idea that Pinball should be a "quest" to reach the end of a game and then sell it and move to another game. This again is the "Video Game" mentality. A Pinball machine shouldn't be designed as a game to "beat" and discard - that's your typical quest Video Game story line. Wizard modes should be something that's fun to reach and play infrequently but repeatedly (if you're good enough).
I like "Deep" games, but prefer TWD style depth over GoT style depth by far.

GOT and ACDC both make me feel like I'm playing one of those slap-the-buttons arcade games.

#3379 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Agreed, even if there is some story behind hitting "three greens then two reds and then the flashing arrow" there is no denying the repetitiveness of basically all super-deep games.

My biggest issue with these pins is that there's not enough behind all the Shoot The Arrow. Not enough story, not enough callouts, not enough character or humor. GOT is astonishingly dry, even when I watch someone totally own it like a boss it's like they're playing sudoku via pinball. Where's the story? Where's the world under the glass? It's all about multipliers and numbers and that's soul-crushing.

#3386 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

"photoshop' came up and they claim it is all hand drawn. I would argue its more like photoshop filter and embellished directly from stills.

It's definitely hand-drawn, it's just (almost certainly) taken directly from stills, which means there's not much embellishment, abstraction, or general liveliness you get in a drawing constructed from references, as opposed to what was probably traced.

#3444 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You must not be a fan of thrones show. Just cause it doesn't have a lot of show call outs doesn't mean it lacks that world under the glass.
- Houses battling for right to rule the seven kingdoms
- becoming the hand of the king and different ways to achieve it, brilliance!
- winter is coming and winter has come is amazing integration of just winter chills. Perfect for the white walker plot line.
- the hounds call outs are top level for pinball.
- the sound of the horns and battling in wall multiball. Not to mention the wall + winter super stack where it becomes complete pandemonium in winter effects as you're battling at the wall. Great theme integration!
- building the Targaryan modes is epic, and that dragon getting bigger, badder, and more epic with a dramatic feel as you progress. Fits the dragons story line perfect
- and then finally, you get the iron throne and go on a little mini journey through the seven kingdoms.
Just shoving call outs of the show into the game would not work for this pin; it was integrated perfect...this coming from a big fan of the show.

I'm a big fan of the show, I've seen all the seasons and am eagerly anticipating the next, I just don't care for how Stern integrates themes in general, which is why I'm hesitant about a Stern Star Wars pin.

#3647 6 years ago

To be fair, Stern's marketing kinda bites and if it wasn't such a tiny industry they'd be laughed out.

1 week later
#4118 6 years ago

My memory is intact so my first reaction was "oh god what's going on now"

#4123 6 years ago

They should go in the opposite direction - nothing but pops.

#4387 6 years ago

It's only relevant in that they're competitors - if there were two hamburger shops in town and one kept giving people e. coli, it would probably be compared disfavorably to the other one that doesn't make people vomit their guts out every few months.

#4424 6 years ago

If you get the lowest score of the day Bea Arthur calls you a nerfherder.

#4611 6 years ago

Another Steve Ritchie pitch-n-bat with terrible art, bouncing tie fighter looks ditzy, LCD animations are a step up.

edit: lmao those downvotes

go banana (resized).pnggo banana (resized).png

#4616 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Maybe you should just admit that you hate pinball and try the beanie baby forum.

I like balls flying in my face as much as the next man but I prefer my pinball to be a little more methodical.

#4788 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'd hate to be the person doing the housecleaning.

Well where do you do it?

#4834 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

The game looks good. What surprised me is how many of the guys in the video had a beard or a pirate goatee. Only the orange shirt guy seemed to be able to use a razor.

Beards are hot, I can't stand the look of a bare face on most guys.

#4914 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm just gonna place this right here regarding GOT (copy + paste from another thread):
- Houses battling for right to rule the seven kingdoms
- becoming the hand of the king and different ways to achieve it, brilliance!
- winter is coming and winter has come is amazing integration of just winter chills. Perfect for the white walker plot line.
- the hounds call outs are top level for pinball.
- the sound of the horns and battling in wall multiball. Not to mention the wall + winter super stack where it becomes complete pandemonium in winter effects as you're battling at the wall. Great theme integration!
- building the Targaryan modes is epic, and that dragon getting bigger, badder, and more epic with a dramatic feel as you progress. Fits the dragons story line perfect
- and then finally, you get the iron throne and go on a little mini journey through the seven kingdoms. Feels totally different than the rest of the game.
Just shoving call outs of the show into the game would not work for this pin; it was integrated perfect...this coming from a big fan of the show.

I'm a big fan of the show as well and I disagree with all of this. Playing GOT feels like someone took a bunch of random stuff from the show and put it in a blender and all the bits and bobs are being regurgitated as I play. I don't find it immersive at all - if I were being generous I'd call it "minimalist", a game stripped down almost entirely to scoring with some Game of Thrones-themed party decorations strewn about.

#4922 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What do you like Trunch? You seem very hard to please.

I like a slower, more methodical form of gameplay. The only Steve Ritchie game I really love is Flash Gordon (edit: oops! ST:TNG, then), the new ones feel like hyperactive video games, or like those Japanese rhythm arcade games, just things flying at you while lights flash. Jpop's pins are shallow (and the guy himself is a turd), but they balance theatricality and flow way better than Ritchie's pins. Modern Stern pins in general have never felt thematically cohesive to me. I like the focus on points in EMs and SS pins - Stars, for example - because they're difficult and simple, but I crave the actual wholesale packaging of pins like TZ and WH20, which aren't "deep" like GOT but have a presentation that feels lovingly crafted and generally together.

I've said it a few times but playing GOT feels like I'm playing with a fancy calculator while someone's watching a TV show. There's no soul. Obviously, that's a really specific thing to "feel" in a pin, but as a total package, GOT feels flimsy and obsessively mathematical. The game as a concept doesn't come together, so it's harder to lose myself in it. What happens in GOT? What's going on when Arya Stark is marking names off her list? Nothing! It's terrible, uninvolving gameplay and the only point is to get points. That's terrible. That's a terrible way to design a game. I need something to play for besides numbers. Pinball machines have a great capacity to be wholly theatrical experiences and it's frustrating to see it being wasted repeatedly.

What I love about Pat Lawlor, besides the methodical gameplay (stop-and-go, the antithesis to "flow" pins) and unique playfield geometry, is the sense of emotion that ties the pin together. There's the inevitable coup de theatre that defines the game, like Rudy's head or the cracking state line on Earthshaker, but there's also the sense of irony, whimsy, and menace. The pin isn't just a thing that adds up numbers based on when you push a button, there's an intent behind the gameplay that becomes apparent as you play. Rudy turning on you is one of the most astonishing moments in pinball, because it demonstrates that the game itself has an opinion about the player, and that's a key element that's not present in a lot of Stern's modern pins.

This is part of why I like Wheel of Fortune - even if it is silly and nonsensical, it feels like it's interactive. You could call it "character". Road Show is packed with character, where every mode leads up to a gag. Candy 2000 in Safecracker is in all parts of the game and she gives it a palpable sense of menace. Even the overlap of themes in Earthshaker - studly 50s cruiser meets cataclysmic faultline failure - generates a sense of ironic tension and fun. It's that extra step that creates a hook for the player that takes the game beyond being a series of switches, buttons, and points and becomes an experience. That's what's missing, and it's that absence that I hate.

#4924 6 years ago

How about that! Then I guess I'd have to pick ST:TNG.

edit: I just have a lot of opinions about the potential for pinball, and I find Steve Ritchie's designs to be particularly frustrating, and there's nothing more enlightening than analyzing something you don't like.

#4929 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Believe me "flow" is just the last overrated term since "immersive." It's all what you like...you're a new player so you like in depth stories and that's cool...I'm playing pinball machines for the challenge. Whether it's an EM that you have to knock down 12 targets which is impossible, or maxing out my shot mulipliers to get the best score it's all having fun.

It's funny, because I love EMs and spent hours at the NWPAS playing the amazing EM lineup (getting all the 2001 drops down on ball one was an amazing experience, and I had a hard time tearing myself away from the flipperless pool pin). I think it's just annoying when there's the potential for that deep theatrical experience, but then it's absent in favor of a lightspeed pointsfest with some shabby thematic trimming. It's not even that one has to exist in place of the other, either, but in the current market I guess that doesn't matter - the average street player just likes seeing a lot of balls flying around, and the home-buyer has been playing for decades and wants the rarefied ultrachallenge.

#5039 6 years ago

GB has great playfield geometry, but it's hamstrung by its flimsiness.

#5128 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not to anyone over 5'2 anyway

Unless you have a gut like I do

#5154 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Is that you next to Boobie Trunch?
He's got a nice arse.

Ahaha. I can't speak to the arse but I've definitely got more of a keg than that dude. So long as I can reach the flippers, right?

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Beezleboob IS the guy from Nantuckit! Haha I love that shirt and I must get one!

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who saw a coin return and said...

#5267 6 years ago

Anxiously checking the pinball map in case this shows up in Seattle (ship faster!!).

#5270 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Your new avatar is confusing me. Stop it.

As funny as it was that people thought I was a woman it was time for a change. "Fried stuff with cheese!"

#5275 6 years ago

I was watching the Deadflip stream again and I noticed (at about 1:11:45) that you do, in fact, lock a ball in the horseshoe and then knock it out like a captive ball to start multiball, which is extremely cool.

#5278 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

From what I saw from hyperspace MB is that the ball holds there at the start, then you can dump a ball behind it, then the game serves you a third ball. This is how the pro will work I think. The hyper space loop will be different and allow you to load up balls in there for a period of time before MB starts I think.

That's really neat. In the stream he knocks it out and then the game autofired a third ball from the trough. "Locked ball becomes captive ball" is a toy I've always wanted to see more of but I can't think of it appearing on anything besides this, Breakshot, and World Poker Tour (I think?).

#5305 6 years ago

I feel like I'd enjoy GOT and the mathier pins more in a home setting, trying to learn them at a barcade where I can't hear the callouts and every game costs me fifty cents/a dollar is really off-putting.

3 weeks later
#6291 6 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

I wasn't aware that they only use a few music tracks from John Williams. But I just realized that by watching this gameplay video. What a bummer. I only counted the main theme, the imperial march and the end credits or rebel theme... that's it?? The rest is something else... which I don't like at all. Was about to order a Pro tomorrow. But I am not sure about that anymore.
» YouTube video

Oh my god the cutout of the ship that flies by at 16:03 is hilarious. All the ship cutouts look like they're being dragged around in photoshop. Those wiggling tie fighters...

#6350 6 years ago

Got to play this on location here in Seattle and...oh my god, I liked it? It wasn't set up to be a speed demon, which I think works to its advantage, if it were much quicker I probably would've just felt frustrated, but there was a nice amount of floaty back and forth, which I really enjoy. The rubbers near the outlanes get a lot of exercise, and that's actually a lot of fun. It's not a very difficult game, which I appreciate, none of the shots are impossible and some are pretty easy. Death Star shot has a nice flow to it, and once you've got it mentally mapped it's a very do-able shot - the difficult part is just getting the ball to the flipper to snatch the hurryup.

Biggest problem is what you might call "I'm-in-a-mode?-itis", the game does a terrible job of making the modes feel like they're, you know, happening, especially when you stack them and then you just have a mishmash of quotes flying nonsensically at you while all the lights switch colors. The placement (or even existence) of the pops is a gigantic, embarrassing mistake. I might even go so far as to call it a downright stupid decision, and it's space that absolutely, 100% could've been utilized better.

Most of the weak elements you don't really notice, like the bouncy tie fighter or the clumsy animations, though I did find the "punch the button" tie fighter mode to be extremely lame, mostly because the actual destruction of the fighters didn't seem to really match how quickly I punched the button. I did like how I managed to activate tie fighter multiball by activating the attack mode after the ball drained and slapping the button enough times before the ball got to the bottom of the trough.

The art is bland. It's less hideous in person because it's all lit up but it definitely has a lunchbox vibe. Props to the lightshow department, because they're doing most of the heavy lifting on this game.

I don't know if I would enjoy this pin in a home environment, but I had a good time pumping quarters into it. It's ironic that "fast and flowy" is the big thing right now, because these pins are basically becoming flashy arcade games. Star Wars scoots around that by a lot of nice lateral motion, which brings an old-fashioned anticipatory physical vibe, and avoids the feeling that I'm playing a video game with flippers. The lack of toys is still a bummer, and I'll be curious to know if more music is coming. If not, they've got themselves stuck with an incredibly limited soundtrack.

So yeah, I had a fairly good time playing this. Shame about those pop bumpers!

#6352 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Well, I guess you aren't one of the 20 "players" on this site according to Levi.
Complaining about a lack of toys...

lmao! It just seems like such an obvious theme to have fun toys on. You really get a sense of it being nothing but unmoving plastics and rubber after a bit, which is kind of a shame.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Electronics
FlipMods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.