8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just see where it goes from here, these days you're an idiot to get Stern games early, so no rush. If I play one and it's rad then great.

Ahem. Shouldn't that be 'any manufacturers games early' ?

1 week later
#2493 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I think a lot of people agree it will probably be a fun game, but almost everyone agrees the value of what is in the game is not equal to the price they are charging.

How can you assign value to fun?

If the game was packed and had a huge BoM, but sucked and was no fun ...

1 month later
#6009 6 years ago

My scoop on location hits left flipper every time.

200 plus plays, everything cherry so far.

Fun game!

#6011 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The only one I have played on location here is about 60/40 at best. It really ruins the game when you have to try to avoid that scoop shot.

Should be adjusted by the OP. Sucks if it doesnt.

#6015 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

can you adjust the coil power in settings? or try to adjust the scoop or vuk itself?

I'm not sure, haven't looked. Mine has hit the left flipper from day one. It is level side to side, and probably around 6.8 pitch.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6249 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

So...I'm super bummed about this game. It's, uh, bad. It absolutely breaks my heart to say that about another Star Wars game. The action button nonsense is dumb. New doesn't mean good, and this is a prime example of that.
I'm so down about this game. I was excited about picking up a secondhand one at some point, but that desire is flat dead now. The shots can be fun, but the breakneck speed is totally at odds with the design of the game in regards to code. The skill shot is mindless and stupid too. What a garbage plunge.
I would never have guessed that I would prefer Aerosmith to Star Wars, but man, here we are.

Totally opposite for me. Game is a lot of fun. Risk reward, strategy is GoT taken to another level. Having a blast, and it's killing it on location.

Good thing we all don't like the same games!

#6256 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm really not digging the code on the game.

I'm of the opposite opinion on this. I think the code out of the gate is pretty stellar (bugs aside) and will only get better with more tweaks.

Quoted from jar155:

Then you have the action button.

This has added a new dimension to risk/reward. Tracking your multipliers, building them up and changing them on the fly is frantic and exhilarating. Having it all line up is hugely rewarding, just as having it there then watching the ball go down because you took your hand off at the wrong time. This game will be awesome in tournaments.

I can see how some players won't like it at all. This is not a relaxing walk in the park. This is flying through an asteroid field where your odds of survival are ... "Never tell me the odds!"

Quoted from jar155:

Why do they even have pop bumpers in this thing?

Agree. I hope Dwight has more plans for these. I'm glad the ball doesn't end up there often.

Quoted from jar155:

The mini LCD is nothing special either.

Tough to judge this until code is complete. I'm sure more is planned.

Quoted from jar155:

I've played on 7 different machines now, and all of them had reject issues.

We have one machine, and it's left flipper every time. Level and adjust as needed? This is on the OP to make sure it works. Just like any game that kicks it back towards the flippers.

Quoted from jar155:

But no, Star Wars never takes its foot off the pedal.

I think Steve designed it that way. Kind of the point ... the game is fast!

Quoted from jar155:

The game is always teetering on the edge of control. That can be fun in bursts, but to always have every shot leading to a blazing fast return is just too much. All the stand ups cause a lot of airballs. Bad ones. I think the flippers are overpowered here. It's just one speed to experience: maximum. The Star Wars films aren't some adrenaline-fueled spaz fest. They are very measured in how they dole out action, and the speed of the game just doesn't feel like a good match to the franchise at all.

Matches my favourite parts of the movies for me ... massive space battles, flying through an asteroid field, fighting a rancor, Hoth being invaded, speeder bikes through a forest ... pure speed and chaos. I'm not sure how they would fit in negotiating with Jabba, partying with Ewoks or having a drink in a cantina. This will be a personal opinion for players for sure.

Quoted from jar155:

Almost all the games you play start feeling so alike.

I've got about 40 games in so far, and I could see that if you pick the same character and same path every game. I've found it helps to watch others play to pick up on a lot of the little things going on.

The Emperor chortling for dangers makes me laugh every time.

Quoted from jar155:

It's always going to be too fast for all the layers it's trying to put into the experience. Once the rush of the game's speed wears off, it just feels overwhelming.

For some players I'm sure it will be. Others may enjoy the speed and chaos. It's a good thing not every pin is a slow, floaty mess with game times measured in 20 minute blocks. I think this pin will be stellar on location for OPS.

#6260 6 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I love the speed and the flow but a lot of the time i felt like a 6 year old playing pinball for the first time continually flipping and having no idea what i was doing.

I think that's an awesome way to view it! Bring some new ideas into pinball, make people redefine what they think they already know.

"C'mon Stern, do something new!" followed by "Boo Stern, this is different!"

People are fickle beings.

#6342 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

So for those of you that have played both, how do you feel about SW vs Metallica? Both kind of are a mix of flowy/bashy games.

Apples and Oranges. Very different games. Good compliment to each other though.

#6349 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

SW will never be MET with that playfield layout. Not even close. Regardless of code

Yup, very different games. Good thing they are not all the same! That would stink.

#6513 6 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

I followed up with Stern yesterday and got a flippant response on delivery

Why wouldn't you ask your distributor? Stern does not sell direct ...

#6515 6 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

I did, my distributor got the same answer and since I paid in full back in the middle of July that answer was not acceptable to me.

Sounds like you need a new distributor. They should be able to get an ETA from Stern.

3 weeks later
#7109 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Played a pro. I put in 4 games. Not much but it just wasnt a "just one more game" type of game. When i played star trek, ironman, walking dead for the first time i always wanted more and spent a few hours playing them.
The bumpers are useless on this game. I liked the "moving the x" code bit and made things more interesting but i just felt there was nothing to shoot for but loops ans ramps....no drop targets, no interactive toys or vuk to ramp...just feels like its missing something.
One the plus side The cabinet was really nice and agree that the pictures do not do it justice. The GI / lights where impressive. Code seems to be well on the way.
I was waiting for this theme. I hope they get guardians and do a better job and shsrpen their pencils on the BOM.

Umm, there are like 5 drop targets on the Pro. How did you miss them?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=smokedog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.