8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulcoff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#536 6 years ago

Was really hoping to see an Ewok village above the three pop bumpers.
Hyperdrive mech looks cool. I'm going to wait and see.
IMG_1519 (resized).JPGIMG_1519 (resized).JPG

#1407 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

So, since the rumors indicate that the art isn't the same on both sides, what do you all think will be the art on the opposite sides of each model?

I'm guessing this is the other side of the LE art?IMG_1527 (resized).JPGIMG_1527 (resized).JPG

#1735 6 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

That pose reminded me of this flyer / ad....

Check out those "hammer toes!"

#2806 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Go ahead and nail the horseshoe on Star Wars from left to right and tell me the ball doesn't fly toward the flipper as fast as it does on the yagov kicker.
Man I wish people could just actually play this game already.

"Real Talk." Is there an ability to stack Han with Leia or R2 with Luke? Thanks for any info Levi.IMG_1553 (resized).JPGIMG_1553 (resized).JPG

#3002 6 years ago

Any word on stacking modes within the rules? Waiting to understand the rules to pull the trigger on this tittle. Really hoping there will be stackability between modes for "Big Points."IMG_1556 (resized).JPGIMG_1556 (resized).JPGIMG_1557 (resized).JPGIMG_1557 (resized).JPG

#3419 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Right...every game I love has non-linear modes...don't bring that horror garbage game into this conversation.

+1. Ha

#3574 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Still dont see any ewoks

STERN, Please don't forget the Ewoks.
This machine has got to have some, "Yub Nub."IMG_1600 (resized).pngIMG_1600 (resized).png

#3584 6 years ago

Ewok Speederbike "Hurry Up"...nuff saidIMG_1601 (resized).pngIMG_1601 (resized).png

#3595 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't worry the game has at least one ewok mode where ewoks gleefully kill storm troopers.

Good stuff. I often wondered if the Ewoks ate the Stormtroopers after the battle on Endor?

#3705 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Give me the "Nub Nub" original song any day!

It's pronounced, "Yub Nub." lol (True, the original one is better)

1 week later
#4068 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

My Distributor told me today that STERN wanted to send pros missing parts, that would later be sent to be attached..
Missing Death Star may be the reason!?

IMG_1765 (resized).JPGIMG_1765 (resized).JPG

#4311 6 years ago

This is By Far my favorite Steve Ritchie promo video.
"...I will not sacrifice..."

#4865 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...but in SW, it seems weird to start 2 movie-specfic story modes simultaneously.

Weird... yes, but whatever it takes to speed up the game and rules for the person ahead of me so I can get to play next. By having the ability to stack modes creates a sense of urgency and speeds the game along faster. I keep wondering if the rules are designed for an individual to play or more for a competitive group of individuals to play.

#5025 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

At this point, realistically, I give it a 6.5 to 7/10 at best.

What score did you give GOT pro when you first played it?

#5219 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Okay, I just got done playing the game with DaveH and ForceFlow in a quiet setting with the sound turned WAY up and...
Wow. Just WOW. This game is truly a blast to play. Say what you want about the sparse playfield...it's lightning fast, immersive as hell, and the music and sound are incredible. I'm upgrading my previous 7 to a 9, and have deleted all previous comments I made lest they wrongly influence somebody on the fence ( konghusker , I'm looking at you!).
This is a game that seems already almost fully coded (much like GOT did when shipping), and it's just the fastest game I've ever played. All three of us had the ball drain at one point before we could even react with the flipper in time. Think AFM on steroids (good luck with the center drain off those LCD targets!).
Terrific game. Those of you who haven't played it need to get over the art and sparsity of the playfield and play a game before judging...and DON'T do it in a loud environment with people hanging over your back waiting to play. This will be a great addition to anybody's collection in a home environment, and should make a killing on location.
And PS - My wife was playing the other SW across the room and had a grin from ear to ear the whole time. She loves it and can't wait for us to get ours.

LIES!!!
Pics or it didn't happen. (jk, glade you like it)

3 weeks later
#6255 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ok, it's not ALL bad with Star Wars, but I don't like the sum of its parts when it comes right down to it. I just wanted so much more from the Star Wars theme than we got here. It feels like they cranked the speed up to distract you from the fact that it's a pretty bare game.
The playfield shots are smooth as silk, and shots, when made, just feel right. The geometry of a game is something that Steve Ritchie just seems to understand better than most anybody. Some shots are tight, some are easy, but they all feel pretty much where they should be. It's hard thing to put into words, but you feel it when you play. Compared to something like Aerosmith or Batman '66, Star Wars just has a more refined feel to its geometry.
The sounds on the game are pretty cool. That spinner sound is the best since Metallica. Lots of neat little sounds are found throughout the game. Stern usually does a pretty solid job on sound packages, and Star Wars is definitely no exception.
I'm really not digging the code on the game. Bugs aside (and holy jeez there are plenty), it is totally the wrong type of game progression for how fast it plays. Shots get back to the flipper so quickly, that it's hard to keep up with what you're doing in the game. It's a bummer, because while the game has TONS of modes, they all end up feeling so samey because the ball is just flying around and you're fighting to keep control. Game of Thrones is also very fast, but the modes feel better differentiated, and it doesn't feel like a constant race against ticking timers. Star Wars gets in your face with too many hurry ups, too many timers, and too many dang layers of things going on. And you better like multiballs, because they are to be had at every turn.
Then you have the action button. It's way overused, and there's nothing fun about having to constantly babysit that thing. You have to use it to unlock, move, and lock in your multipliers, you have to blow up TIE fighters with it, you need to hold it down to add a ball in multiball, and you have to unlock and move your multipliers again. Don't forget to lock them or else you'll make your shots but they'll be worth, literally, a 40th of what they could. The game barely gives you a chance to breathe, but you're expected to keep up with slapping that action button so often? That was not even close to fun.
There are also some real head scratchers with Star Wars. Why do they even have pop bumpers in this thing? The ball rarely goes in there, and when it does, it's completely hidden from view. You can't see the pop action at all, because the mini LCD screen blocks it. They feel like they're in there simply because "a game should have pop bumpers." The mini LCD is nothing special either. It helps you on the "skill" shot, and then it's used fairly sparingly from there. You barely have time to check it for indicators anyway, because the ball is always at top speed. The kind-of-a-scoop is a bummer. I've played on 7 different machines now, and all of them had reject issues. Stern could have spent an extra buck and put a proper scoop in there. The eject from that shot is wild too. Blah.
The plunge on this game is terrible. By ball 2 of your first game, you already know the exact timing to get the max skill shot reward, but it sends the ball into an out-of-control state in the lower half of the playfield. Not a fun way to start a ball. Less fun when the ball saver just throws the ball back into chaos again. I would prefer the option to short plunge for the stand ups or to full plunge to the pops. Make it so you can risk chaos for a multiplier or play safe if you want to. But no, Star Wars never takes its foot off the pedal.
The game is always teetering on the edge of control. That can be fun in bursts, but to always have every shot leading to a blazing fast return is just too much. All the stand ups cause a lot of airballs. Bad ones. I think the flippers are overpowered here. It's just one speed to experience: maximum. The Star Wars films aren't some adrenaline-fueled spaz fest. They are very measured in how they dole out action, and the speed of the game just doesn't feel like a good match to the franchise at all.
And that's really my biggest disappointment here. It doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. It looks like Star Wars, but once you start playing, it just melts away. Stacking up Hoth and Tatooine stuff seems so strange. It's like an extreme over reaction to people not liking the Ghostbusters ladder system, so they just let you throw everything in a blender. Makes for a weird use of the theme.
The game is still very much in development, so things can evolve on the code front quite a bit, but I doubt it's going to dramatically change how the game feels to play. It's always going to be too fast for all the layers it's trying to put into the experience. Once the rush of the game's speed wears off, it just feels overwhelming. It's really hard to parse out why a shot scored the way it did, because some shots will have so many things stacked on them beyond what the game can adequately indicate.
I have a feeling that this game will have a hot moment of popularity and then people will get fatigued by it. Once you start getting dialed into the shots, you start having these insanely long ball times of super fast play. Multiball rolls into multiball, modes sit on top of modes, and it all just blurs into a samey hot mess. Almost all the games you play start feeling so alike. Even Ghostbusters, as linear as it is, has games that feel very different from one another. I can't seem to find out how to do that in Star Wars.
I was cold on Aerosmith out of the gate, but I am liking it more and more these days. I hope Star Wars goes through a similar process for me.

How would you compare steve's 24 in comparison? Would you say 24 is more innovative without the LCD stuff? I haven't played much SW, but I do enjoy 24.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.95
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulcoff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=paulcoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.