8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#378 6 years ago

I was joking months ago about a giant bash Death Star toy but wow, I didn't think they wouldn't actually do it, lol.

#396 6 years ago

Too early to judge this one, especially without seeing it, hearing it and playing it. First impressions though...I'm guessing the artist that did GOT artwork also did this one, artwork between both look similar which is not a good thing.

The toys? Death Star exploding toy is kinda cool but it seems like a waste as a main toy, need to see it action. I like that there's a motorized target bank in the game and the warp ramp seems kinda cool.

As for the LE? Forget it, Stern has gone bonkers charging what they are for LE's over premiums for very little features in return.

The good. Stern has the rights to use original audio and clips from the original films. This is huge and the game would be a dud without it. There's still hope but damn that artwork.

#401 6 years ago

Well, this is disappointing. Looks like there is not a motorized target bank on the premium / LE? In the pic from the video there are only stand up targets underneath the mini LCD...Game is the premium / LE model as there's a left metal ramp and metal habit rails.
SWprem (resized).JPGSWprem (resized).JPG

#425 6 years ago

In regards to rules I hope the inserts in the screen grab below represent a deep objective based ruleset. Looks like there are 4 quadrants of modes, each containing 3 modes and a multiball / mini wizard mode. That would be 16 modes right there! Fingers crossed.

pinballsw1 (resized).JPGpinballsw1 (resized).JPG

#429 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I wouldn't expect that many modes. I would think it's going to be more like Star Trek where they're repeatable but harder on the second or third pass. I hope you're right though!

Yeah I hope so too. If not then that's really only 1 mode (3 total with slight twists) for each quadrant and a multiball mode, that doesn't seem like enough. Content wise I think there's certainly enough to work with to make 3 unique modes + 1 multiball for each of the 4 quadrants.

#433 6 years ago

With the actors audio from the films + video clips being licensed by Stern (along with at least the main score) I wouldn't be surprised if the licensing cost is Stern's highest ever. That may have impacted some of the games design choices.

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agreed. There's a 1,2,3 under each. If they combine the multiplier heaven of GOT with the three levels of modes like Star Trek, I'm gonna love it.

Yeah. It would still be like having 16 unique modes by having Endor 1, Endor 2, Endor 3. I can see Endor 3 ending with the Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker lightsaber battle. Hope its true.

#441 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Not mine, but I had to share...

They are REALLY similar. It's Spider-Man/Star Trek again.

Holy sh*t. Wow.

#493 6 years ago

"The game features speech and film footage from the original trilogy"

That right there is a huge plus for this game and makes it appealing, even with the lackluster artwork. Without it forget it.

#501 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Nope. There are four locations, two of them are not from A New Hope: Endor and Hoth.

Yup!

Looks like the 4 quadrants are

1. Escape from Endor
2. Destroy the Death Star
3. Escape from Hoth
4. Escape from Tatoooine

Lots of escaping, lol. 3 missions for each quadrant (12 total) that hopefully are all unique along with the main insert for each quadrant representing a multiball / mini wizard mode.

Hopefully Yoda fits in somewhere as he's barely represented on the games artwork (only on a small area of the pro).

#505 6 years ago

Would of been nice if Stern had finally ditched the traditional 3 pops for at least 1 game, put just one pop there (like on WOZ) and used the extra space for a motorized target bank with a shot behind it (AFM style).

#518 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

What if JJP #4 is Star Wars .... DUN DUN DUUUUN!!!

Now that would be amazing, lol. Imagine if that actually happens. What would stop Disney from licensing the theme out to another company? They do it all the time with other products.

#727 6 years ago

I bet a mod will be in the works to improve the look of the bezel on the mini LCD.

I'm surprised that the bezel of the mini LCD at least on the premium / LE is just a piece of generic black plastic with no artwork or instead a molded bezel (ex, mini book LCD from Hobbit).

#753 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I'm unfortunately not suprised by this. Stern seem to continually cut more and more things out or just are not interested in putting in a little extra effort.
I'm sure they could have easily thought up something that would have looked better.

Absolutely. Also, with GB LE, AS LE, and now SW LE the only difference between the premium / LE is different artwork, baked on enamel armor(not a true high quality powder coat) and mirrored backglass...for $1500 more. Where is the value that Stern offered with Star Trek LE?

#830 6 years ago

Have to say that at these crazy NIB prices flow is over rated. I'm sure Stern loves to make these high flow games as there's far less on them compared to a game like Ghostbusters Premium which in my opinion remains one of Sterns most innovative and loaded games to date. Will still consider purchasing this title but need to play it first and should probably wait a year for any bugs to be worked out.

#904 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hard to see clearly, but that photo seems to back up the earlier whitewood comment about not having RGB inserts after all, the LE inserts look like normal colored ones there, anyone else agree?

I'm thinking that the 7 "x" arrow inserts will be RGB across all models and that the premium / LE may have the inserts above those (7 more) be RGB as well.

#912 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So yea, that's a cool idea. And that's what separates the men from the boys. A lot of the haters in this thread, and even supporters, want toys and gimmicks. But SR has been in this hobby long enough to know gimmicks only go so far. Typically speaking, one trick ponies get old quick in a home collection. It's why he's the king of flow; because flow, speed, code, and gameplay trump gimmicks, art, toys, etc...
Action, speed, flow, fun, code, theme, etc... are what pinheads want which is what Steve Ritchie thrives on. Toys, gimmicks, art, one trick ponies are what the kiddies want. Can't please everyone; want high quality gameplay with kick ass rulesets - buy Steve ritchie. Want toys and gimmicks - buy Borg. Want unique designs - buy Trudeau.
Can't wait to see this pin in action, LCD use, sounds, hi results pics/video, etc...and see a majority of the hate do a 180 just as it did wit acdc, ST, GOT.
Keep calm, ritchie is at the helm...and the force is strong with this one.

Those kiddies sound pretty smart as toys, gimmicks, great art, one trick ponies, mini playfields, etc are what creates value and helps to justify these crazy prices. All of those items can help create a unique world under glass...2 regular ramps and orbits can only do so much.

#1072 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm sure that it will have both new and original music. The stuff Jerry did for Ghostbusters was extremely on point. I think he's a special talent.

Yup! He took several songs from the official Ghostbusters soundtrack and added a really cool pinball vibe too them all, better then the actual tracks in my opinion.

#1284 6 years ago

Besides the artwork my main gripe about the game is lack of features on the playfield. The area below the mini LCD seems fit for a motorized target bank. Instead there are standup targets in that area across all models which as a main shot right in the open are boring.

#1329 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Panzer brother... The more things change the more they stay the same lol.
You and your "interactive toy count" kill me. You are like a F'n BOM pinball auditor I swear.
My will has strict instructions to put you in charge of selling my games for the wife. You would itemize the shit out of my TSPP features & sell it for a fortune.

Lol! That gave me a good laugh

#1655 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...but that's why it has flow.
C'mon, now...you don't have to jack up every playfield with bullshit. AFM is one of the emptiest playfields ever designed...and one of the greatest games ever.

The area below the mini LCD on Star Wars seems intended for a motorized target bank like the one on AFM and without it leaves both models feeling empty in my opinion. The use of stand up targets for the central area of the game just seems boring. The pro model doesn't even have one toy that moves or interacts with the ball, not one.

Heck, Dominos at nearly the same price as Star Wars Pro has a motorized target bank, a magnet, a moving toy and all metal ramps! Crazy.

#1851 6 years ago

Just noticed the comment on Sterns FB page saying that the game will feature "select speech and footage" from the films. That makes it sound like they don't have the rights to use some of the actors likeness?

#1869 6 years ago

Just read that the game will feature 16 modes, 1 wizard mode and 9 multiball modes! Yes! Also, 400 clips from the original trilogy.

Bummer about no real backglass on LE. Ridiculous.

#1875 6 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Who picked the music in that video? OMG.

Yeah not good, the slow mo effect is terrible as well.

#1972 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Not sure what your looking at pictures on but i see visible cracks and a visible door on Pro. Im in on a premium so doesnt matter to me but i hope it does.

If the SW Pro did anything extra Stern would certainly not forget to document it on the feature matrix. They include every little item on the thing, even mentioning it comes with a "modular power cord", lol.

#1975 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Whoever put that canned rock track on a Star Wars video should be fired. That was just awful. Maybe the sound package is still too raw to show? I really wanted to hear the sounds.
Definitely nice to see in action, and it looks better in high rez, no question. The Pro translite looked like a mess in low rez, in high rez it was a lot better for instance. I want to play one. I just don't have that "wow I want that" feeling still. Maybe hands on time would change my mind, I really want it to be good. I seriously don't care that it's competing with Alien, the Star Wars fan in me hopes it's great.
If I may though, that video mode looks really dumb. Why does Dwight insist on putting video modes in his games? I'm not a fan. I want to play pinball, not bang a button, or pick bacon or star, or do bad pixel fights. Just leave the video modes out!

The Ghostbusters video modes are pretty cool, especially they actually tie into items from the movie. The bashing on a button video mode in SW just seems like a waste, with no skill or even luck involved.

#1978 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Looks like no LE Backglass again??
Translite only???

Yup I just cancelled my LE spot and asked for a premium instead. $1500 more for baked on powder coated armor with some cut outs that don't match the Falcon....thats it. I don't see the signatures or LE plaque (that is barely visible) as extra features.

#1982 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

It looks better than the 1st reveal. Still has some issues, but gotta say, its trending in the right direction. But can't for the life of me understand why anyone would spend $1000+ more for the LE vs Premium.

Yup. The last LE Stern made that actually justified the extra cost over a premium in my opinion is Star Trek LE. Since then all LE's seem like a money grab.

#1991 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

"TIE Fighter LCD video assault mode engages players to rapidly pound the action button"
Surely there is more to that mode than just button mashing?

Nope, that's it, just a button masher based off the video Mindless.

#1995 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

They couldn't possibly do that for Star Wars!? Could they!?
Surely they wouldn't dream of doing that!? Would they!?

If Stern had one of the actors do custom callouts they would put it on the feature matrix, they don't forget to mention anything on those from what it seems.

It's possible that Steve Ritchie himself may do the callouts but I don't see how those would fit with the theme.

Oh I got it, Stern must be doing custom R2D2 callouts for this one, now it all makes sense!

#2005 6 years ago

So the premium Death Star toy opens and theres...a cube of lights in it. That's it? Really?

Still looks like the helmets from Space Balls.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#2009 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

No playfield magnets The force is weak with this one.
Will be fun to try it on location nearby -- except they will only have the Pro.
May not get to try a premium until next years' Allentown show.
I love Getaway -- so I may still warm up to this game if the programming makes it fun.

Star Wars was built for one purpose....to take as much money from wallets of the world of men. Lol. It may very take some of mine.

dc81d3a35ab20dbac396a5e2ac656f40 (resized).jpgdc81d3a35ab20dbac396a5e2ac656f40 (resized).jpg

#2216 6 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

Yes; an earlier post indicated that Stern asked distributors to raise the floor a bit.

So prices have really gone up $200 more for each model compared to AS? This is after the $100 price hike from January...Crazy.

#2219 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

And yet people keep buying. As long as the price hikes don't seem to impact demand, Stern will keep doing them.

Sadly that is true. I just can't see paying $7200 or $7400 for a premium, especially with what's in the game. LE at $8500 or $8700? That's nuts.

#2330 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

No, Stern went low-rent on Star Wars.

With each recent Stern LE release it seems like something is stripped out. This time it's mirrored backglass. No shaker motor either.

An LE needs more then just different armor to justify the extra cost over a premium. Guess Stern doesn't care though as long as they keep selling out.

As a company though that wants to come across as taking pride in their products I'm surprised Stern doesn't want to offer more value with LE's. They did with Star Trek LE.

#2342 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Do you really feel that Stern wants to come across as taking pride in their products?
To me, Stern comes across as wanting to make as much money as possible.
They could have easily made SWLE as cool as STLE. At least add EL paper under the side rails, keep the real backglass, add a shaker. Maybe that's $200 BOM to do those changes. But that's $200 that's not necessary if we keep buying all the LEs.
This is hands down the most stripped LE that they've ever produced. But it's Star Wars and they knew they could get away with it. It's disgusting really.

Yup! Its sad. The last couple lines of your post are exactly why I cancelled my LE spot. The premium and pro also seem stripped down compared to their previous games.

#2598 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Found the Death Star they are using for the playfield.

Oh that can't be the same toy ya see as Sterns Star Wars pinball Death Star toy features "9 green Super Laser Weapon LED's" according to the feature matrix. That's SUPER LASER WEAPON LED's! Those are no joke, sounds like its something from the defense department. Certainly they are not just standard LED's? Nah

#2630 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I keep thinking for $1000 more than the LE you can buy two NIB Stern Pro machines. Would I rather have a SW LE or a SW Pro and a GOT Pro or Aerosmith Pro? How cool will the hyperloop and exploding Death Star be? $4000 cool? TBD

Yup, neither model of Star Wars has a lot of interactive toys and features. For $1700 over the pro to premium cost you are getting a plastic Death Star that opens up with a cube of lights in it, Falcon figurine, metal ramps, metal habit rails and the magnet device that moves balls around in a loop.

Considering that AS Pro comes with metal ramps, metal habit rails and a far more interactive main toy Star Wars premium / LE doesnt seem like that great of a "value".

I still think Star Wars looks cool but I just don't see how the game offers a similar amount of features compared to AS premium and especially GB Premium. From a pure "value" perspective (prices are still nuts) Star Wars pro is the way to go in my opinion.

#2637 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I wish I felt the same. It looks like Stern phones it in on Star Wars.
Clearly, Stern put all of their energy and resources into Aerosmith.

I agree. I still think the game looks cool but that's it's not worth the asking price due to lack of features. Star Wars Pro is Sterns first modern game that literally doesnt have one festure that interacts with the ball. For $5400 that's nuts.

Even GOT pro which is one of Sterns most heavily stripped down games has a physical ball lock, kicker shot, and the moving mini battering ram toy.

Star Wars seems purposely designed to have the lowest build of materials cost yet for a modern Stern. It's hard not to think that due to these crazy prices and comparing it to games like AS and GB.

#2646 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

You forgot about the one feature that I'm most excited about on the Prem/LE - the jump ramp. Ramping balls up into the death star is going to be the most rewarding shot in the game IMO - you won't be able to experience that on a Pro.

That will be a neat shot. I take it that is how balls get into the hyper loop habit rail as well?

#2669 6 years ago

Yeah... It's a mini standup target to "hit" the tie fighter. Very basic. If that's the main toy on the pro then just wow. Has to be as there isn't anything else.

#2673 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Neither did ST (only really had the bobble
Ship) or GOT (only really had the bobble Dragon).

ST pro has a large moving ship toy (well rocking ship, lol) that is tied into a drop target, kicker and magnet below it.

GOT Pro has a physical ball lock, kicker shot, and the mini battering ram.

Star Wars has...a mini Tie Fighter on a spring that moves when a small standup target is hit...

#2678 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think all the bread went to the mini LCD. Hopefully they utilize it well, since it would have otherwise been a major interactive toy, which would have possibly subjugated the masses.

I sure hope so. If the mini LCD is intended as the main toy Stern could have at least put a molded bezel around it resembling something from the Star Wars films rather then a plain old black bezel...

#2917 6 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Isn't that just how it is with LE's now, starting with GBLE? (or maybe further back) The LE is
1) signature/plaque/certificate that nobody cares about
2) unique artwork for cab and translite
3) powder coated trim, maybe with laser etching on side rails
At least SW LE has the custom etching, and includes 3 translites, so it's probably ahead of GBLE and ASLE. Nothing touches STLE for an LE upgrade. That's pretty much a thing of the past, and it wasn't even that long ago. Sigh.

Many, including myself, would take a mirrored backglass over 3 translites. Including 3 translites versus a mirrored backglass is another example of cost cutting and is even more frustrating considering the $200 price hike with SW. Ridiculous.

#2943 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Stern matrix:
Interactive 3-1/4" molded TIE Fighter bash toy rocks and reacts to every ball strike

Sterns loves to over embellish everything on their feature matrix charts, Star Wars most of all.

The plastic Death Star toy doesn't just have LED's, oh no but rather SUPER LASER WEAPON LED's! That isn't just a shot that turns right around, it's a Super Speed Loop!

My goodness, Stern lists some items twice just to make it seem like there's more to the game then there really is.

"Pop bumper array using 2 pops and 1 Sling"
"2 slings in traditional Pop Bumper area"

Slings are now a feature? They might as well list that the game has "Super threaded action screws" as well...

#2951 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

While SW might be lacking in toys its definitely not lacking in shot count. These numbers are counting each target first and then main shots. I could be wrong on some but im close enough.
SW Pro= 21 shots total/ 7 main shots
GOT Pro= 16 shots total/ 7 main shots
DI LE= 17 shots total/6 main shots (maybe few more but hard to tell in pictures what upper flipper hits please correct me if im wrong)
ST pro = 23 shots total/ 6 main shots
AC/DC pro = 20 shots total/ 5 main shots

I tend to count shots by ones where the ball can either pass through (orbits, lanes) or drop into. I rather not count stand up targets as shots as in many games they do little and are not as satisfying to hit as orbits, scoops, ramps, etc.

I see Star Wars having 7 shots and Dialed In at 9 shots using the above counting method.

#2957 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I only see 7 on DI but you could be right. I counted every target first because i dont like dead space where its just a post with no target.

I believe there are two unique shots from the upper right flipper. They are not visible from an overhead picture.

#3087 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I know for certain that Hobbit won't be nearly as fun as Star Wars or any Steve Ritchie game as of late.

Will disagree as would many others.

#3090 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I like to play fast & fun pinball. You prefer to play whack a mole for 45 mins. To each their own.

Funny as the Hobbit can play pretty fast and I've never had a 45 minute game. Its obvious you know nothing about the games deep objective based rulset. I like The Hobbit as it has a deep, loaded, objective based game with unique rules. I hope that Star Wars has a similar objective based ruleset with unique rules for each mode.

Should I say that Game of Thrones is hitting plastic ramps over and over again? No, there's more to it.

#3123 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Inflated price?
Star Wars pro is cheaper - by far - than any other pinball machine being manufactured (or not being manufactured due to ongoing financial crisis) by any other company.
And now the circle is complete. We always get back to this point eventually.

Shouldn't it be considering there's not 1 interactive toy on the game?

Also, Dominoes, yes the pizza pin, has more features then Star Wars Pro for the same price. It has metal ramps, a motorized target bank, a magnet and a toy that rotates. That game is being offered from a company that isn't planning to sell thousands of them so there build of materials cost is much higher compared to Stern.

Also, $5400 isn't cheap! At some point people need to ask themselves "Is this game worth $5400 to me"? That questions seems easier to answer for AS Pro compared to Star Wars Pro.

#3131 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Great points all around! Having read this, I've decided to call my distributor, cancel my LE, and order a Hobbit instead.
Dude, GTF out of here with your crap.
This game is going to be a souped-up ACDC with cool videos (How many are there again, Iceman?), 9 multiballs, and awesome music/call outs. If it's not your thing, no problem. But why try to bring everyone else down? Nothing fun to do at your place on a Saturday (like, say playing Hobbit)?

and there you go again with the insults...I have a Star Wars Premium on order. My only point was to bring up what we are getting at these prices. Sorry I questioned it. Each plastic ramp alone is worth $1k, hand forged in a mountain in the Himalayas.

#3132 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL. I don't even like the SW theme, but I'd buy 10 SW before Dominos. If Dominos has any "features" you sure don't feel them while playing. On a game like this, "Steve Ritchie" is the feature. If the code is good, then no one will care about there not being a Jedi Space Hamster bash toy.

Lol. Same here. My only point was to ask what the hell are we getting for these insane prices? It used to be $3500 for a new game, then $4k, then $5k. Will $6k one day be the cheapest?

#3136 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Come on Panzer. I almost spit out my coffee reading this drivel. Dominoes is one lame ass pin, and yes I've played it. Nice try tho.

I would never buy one. My point was only to compare what is offered parts wise on each and it seems like the pin based on a pizza company has a lot more for the same price...

#3144 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People don't buy pinball to break down the BOM. They buy it for the theme and/or gameplay experience. Iron Man is a great example of that. All the pinball hardcores initially said it was a piece of shit because it was so barebones. Flash forward a few years - everyone wants it, it becomes the first Vault Edition. BOM = irrelevant in the long run as long as the game is fun.

I hear ya there. To be fair Star Wars probably has 10x the code work as Dominoes and that does contribute to the overall bottom line, and value, of a game.

#3167 6 years ago

Any word if the 9 multiballs are part of the 16 mission modes and 1 wizard mode? I'm thinking that the 16 main modes are 4 for each quadrant. The main insert for each quadrant may be a multiball so that could be 4 / 9 multiballs right there. Then there's Death Star and and Jedi multiball. There's 6 of 9. Wizard mode would be 7 / 9.

#3199 6 years ago

Just heard Steve mention that Brian Rood is one of the artists that worked on the games artwork. I got to meet Brian at a Star Wars Celebration event in 2010 and purchased the print below from him. He's an incredible artist and it was nice to meet him. I was wondering if he did the games artwork as it resembles the look in this print. Incredible stuff.20170610_201124 (resized).jpg20170610_201124 (resized).jpg

#3286 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

After cancelling my order twice, I played one at my friend's house a couple of months ago. One game, and it must have been about a half hour long with about 6 balls...and I put the GC score up. Pretty easy game...

Well, there's the reason why you had a half hour game...6 balls. That will happen if the owner has the game setup to reward extra balls for things like replays, at specials, at certain scores, etc. Any pin will be easier when the settings have been modified to award more extra balls. The reasons those settings exist though is to give a owner / operator more freedom for how they want to the game to play.

#3287 6 years ago

Someone asked Steve during the presentation how the hyperspace speed loop feature works in game play. Steve said that you will load balls into it when the pop up ramp comes up and then you can continue to add more. This sounds like something that may occur in multiball modes and reminded me of adding balls during multiball to the Getaways supercharger. Also, it uses 4 magnets as opposed to 3 in Getaways supercharger.

Seems like a pretty fun feature!

#3291 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Steven mentioned in his seminar that the player has to choose a character at the beginning of the game, like on GoT. I found that a horrible feature on GoT. Never watched the show, so have no clue what to choose. Same with SW. Never watched the movies, so probably not a game for me. I seriously wonder how adding such choices to the game is helping novice players to appreciate it.

For Star Wars I think it will be a cool feature as when you select a character you can see on the LCD how that character will impact the game. I think R2D2 helps with multipliers, Leia with missions, and then Luke and Han another ability. Each character will have their own unique way to impact scoring. That sounds pretty cool.

Also, watch Star Wars Watch at least the original trilogy. Grab the trilogy, some beers, snacks, and make an afternoon of it. I really need to do that again, lol.

#3348 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is why Lyman is a genius. Not throwing shade at Dwight or Keefer or anyone else who does different kind of deep games, but Lyman's games have that great combination of being really approachable to a casual player, while providing a lot of depth for more serious players. It's not an easy mix.
His secret, IMHO, is that he's always trying to provide multiple paths through the game. He's talked about this in interviews, both about his own games, and the games he personally enjoys playing. I remember him talking up Shadow for instance, and that's a great early example of a game you can approach in a lot of ways. You can focus on modes, you can try and go for the wizard mode, you can just shoot for Vengeance, you can try for loops, you're not stuck in any kind of linear approach.
Look at how you can play Metallica, ACDC, TWD, you can always find your own path, when you step up you don't have to play it the way the guy before you did.
But you also don't need to spend 45 minutes on it. LOTR is an amazing game for instance, but it's also one that sits unplayed in a lot of collections, because you know that to really play it you gotta set aside a lot of time. I've got friends who own it, love it, and yet never play it for that reason. Need to be in the mood for the whole epic journey thing.
Pinball programming is hard, not because actually programming rules is super difficult, but because balancing the whole experience, not to mention trying to balance the scoring on top of that, is a real art.

Lord of the Rings is such an amazing game because of its deep objective based rulset. Hitting loops, targets, and ramps over and over again just for points or bashing the same area 20x isn't fun after a while, at least not for me.

Keith Johnson is a genius at creating deep objective based rulesets as they work every feature and shot on the playfield in interesting ways. LOTR, TSPP, WOZ and TH all require the player to work the playfield in unique ways.

I like that Dwights rulesets are somewhat similar to Keiths for some games. Star Wars appears to have a deep objective based ruleset and that is exactly what an epic story theme needs in a pin. If Star Wars was about hitting the Death Star 10x for multiball, hitting the ramps 10x for Jedi multiball and hitting the Tie Fighter 10x for another multiball I think the game would get old quickly in a home environment.

#3350 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Keefer is one of the all time greats in my book, but I also find his games personally unappealing, simply because I don't have the skills/patience/time to really enjoy what he does. It's more like I appreciate them for the brilliant designs they have, but aren't my cup of tea.
I'm more likely to step up to my Flash Gordon, play a fast game even with it set to 5 balls, maybe rinse and repeat a few times, and then be done. Got my ass kicked by a brutal game and it felt good. If you're next to me on LOTR you're still on ball one after I finished all that.
My Sterns are Tron, Metallica, and ACDC. You can have some good long balls on any of them, but they're not about the epic journey, and my games are set up to kick your ass more often than sailing through for a 20 minute ball.

I feel a similar way with some of Lymans games. I think ACDC and Metallica are fun but they are not games filled with objective based rules that I want to play when it comes to buying a game for my home collection. I like that Metallica has objective based modes with its Crank it Up modes but do not like that they are locked behind modes centered around bashing the same area 10x, 20x, etc.

I've never really cared to play pinball for points but rather for how far I got into a game in terms of missions attempted / completed, wizards modes reached, etc.

#3393 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

These games are too long to play and to go to the wizard mod. So the repetitivity effect is higher in my opinion.
I respect a game as LOTR, I owned it twice, but finally I prefer playing a brutal one BSD for exemple, with more risky/rewarding shots.

Really? With a game like WOZ, LOTR, and TH (not sure about TSPP) there's a mid wizard mode for completing a set number of tasks. With ACDC and Metallica there is just the main wizard mode which a vast majority of players will never reach.

I think it's awesome how Keith puts a mid wizard mode into his games that is a challenge to reach but can be done by a good number of players while at the same time having a final wizard mode for experts. When I owned ACDC I realized I'll never finish all 12 songs to reach Encore, that's a game that would have benefited greatly from a mini wizard mode for say completing 6 songs.

It's the overarching goals of Keiths games that I think make his rulsets stand out. It sounds like Star Wars will have an overarching objective based ruleset.

1 week later
#3970 6 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I spent hours setting up a virtual machine, had everything working good and scrapped it to put money towards the real deal. Sure it's fun, but one real machine is better than all the virtual ones.
VR is the closest so far but you can really only play alone. When hologram screens are a thing I would consider a virtual cab. Until then save the money.

Agree. I feel the same way. I still wanted a way to play digital / VR pinball but didn't want to spend $3k+ building one (or $5k+ pre-made) or devote the space to a full size digital pinball machine. I had the cabinet built below locally and then installed the buttons, painted it, and wired it up. I use it for Pinball FX2 VR and also Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2 (bring cabinet over to a 50" 4k TV, lol).pinsim123 (resized).jpgpinsim123 (resized).jpg

#4113 6 years ago

A magnet in that area would have been great. Heck, it would have been awesome if both pops were dropped and a motorized target bank with a shot behind it (AFM style) was put there instead along with the magnet in front.

Having 3 standup targets in the games central area instead makes the playfield feel very empty.

#4210 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't even count Spooky games yet, they all look like class projects thus far, JJP has 3 games in what 8 years sorry man but you need to let this defense rest. I'm happy we have all these boutiques and start up companies too but Stern is still the only real pinball manufacturer, not saying that won't change I hope it does.

Riiiiiight. Ferrari and Lamborghini must not be real car manufacturers either since they don't make as many cars as Ford.

Quality is more important then quantity.

1 week later
#4526 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yup, it's pretty boring. I think people were mostly excited that it looked nice & actually played like a real pinball machine vs. the garbage dumpster GB...but, it's a pretty mediocre experience. Jackie is a cool gimmick, but it got old fast. There's nothing really satisfying about any of the goals or shots. Not a fan of the band, so I'm sure really digging them takes it up a notch.

Yeah, damn that Ghostbusters with its multiple interactive toys and cool unique layout. What was Stern thinking trying new things with Ghostbusters and creating a feature packed pin with the premium / LE model? Crazy I tell ya!

All "real" pinball machines have two ramps and two orbits in the traditional fan layout configuration, anything else is against The Constitution of Pinball Playfield Design. Lol.

#4559 6 years ago

Looks cool so far. I like that the Tie Fighter toy moves around a bit more then expected, makes it seem like an actual bash toy. Also noticed a magnet on the left ramp that appears to hold the ball while a mode is selected?

I'm on the fence about the split modes. It appears that two modes are always in play. Will having two modes in play take away from one and make objectives appear confusing?

Also, the callouts seem to be by an Admiral Ackbar sound-alike?

#4693 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I agree with you on not being a fan of playing 2 missions at once. It works ok on GoT, but in SW there just seems to be too much other stuff going on which makes it confusing. At one point the Sharpe guy didn't even know if he was still in a mission or not. That information needs to be better relayed to the player and right now it doesn't seem to be.
Rob

Agree. A lot of games stack missions along with a multiball or a general switch based mode (super ramps, super orbits, etc type "modes") but not two objective based modes at once.

Having two objective based modes running at once looks to take away from the immersion factor as neither mode can really be enjoyed. With two objective based modes running at once video and audio clips from scenes get cut short often as they are stepping on each other.

#4716 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Again you can pick one or 2. Player's Choice.
Do you complain when you stack a munchkin mode with lights on crytal ball mode with emerald city multiball while having haunted forest......ah never mind

That's good to hear that only one mission can be picked. I think the option to pick 2 missons will result in the game playing a bit easier versus going through all individually.

I don't think stacking is an issue with WOZ as most of its modes are not story based missions with shots tied to advancing scenes from the film.

Star Wars though is filled with story based missions and having two playing at the same time results in video and audio clips being cut short as the modes step on each other. I don't think a game like Star Trek, LOTR or TH would play as well if two missions were always in play.

One benefit that I can see from having two missions in play is that it will allow players a greater chance to see one of the games 4 mini wizard modes.

#4732 6 years ago

Good to hear. Much better choice then the Walking Dead voice actor...lol.

#5001 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I'm wondering if the hyperdrive loop and jump ramp into the DeathStar on the premium and LE would be comparable to the "physical gimmicks" you are referring to on other games? Personally, many of those gimmicks only serve to slow down the flow of the game and the novelty wears off after seeing them a time or two. Hope this doesn't have the same end result on SW.

Gimmicks help justify these insane prices as well as increase the fun factor in my opinion.

Super fast flow games with little on the playfield can be fun...but myself and many others cannot see spending $5k-$8k+ on them when there's not enough on the playfield to justify the asking price.

The more fun gimmicks the better in my book. Bring on the mini playfields, magnets, moving bash toys, etc. Those are the types of items that help justify a $5k-$8k+ game.

#5029 6 years ago

There are a lot of good points in that article. While only so many layouts and shots are possible in a finite amount of space Stern could at least attempt to implement more interactive features more often when they choose to use a traditional 2 ramp layout.

I know some people dislike Ghostbusters for its non traditional playfield design but I think that is one of the best things about the game. GB in my opinion feels like Sterns most refreshing, loaded and unique game in years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.