8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#547 6 years ago

I am not a fan of Star Wars (shudder), but I really expected this to be so much more than the average Stern that it is. You have a franchise that is worth more money than most small countries, and you have people lined up in the alley to buy anything with the SW logo, and you come out with.......well....this. Yes, this may be more fun to play than it looks, but lets face it, just like Dialed-in, the pin will never be a true hit because it looks blech.... It just looks like they designed it and came up with the artwork over lunch sitting in a booth at Taco Bell. This should by all accounts be the masterpiece everyone has been waiting for....instead we get a junior high effort just like all of their last cabinets since GB. I will pass on this one........maybe Elvira will be the true masterpiece.

#552 6 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

So predictable. The pinside chorus, not the game. No one has seen the game in person, heard it, played it, seen the video interaction, or experienced it in any capacity, except for a few pictures. It may be great, it may suck, but it's hard to believe that anyone can call this a disappointment without actually one flip.

Yes we can. A good part of the attraction to a pinball game is visual. There are games I love to play, but would never have in my house because they are hideous. I'm not saying this is as bad as some I have seen, but it is very disappointing given the hype and the franchise they are representing.

#554 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's exactly what it looks like, Taco Bell or McD's promotional artwork you'd see on the cups.
Even still, its nowhere near as bad as GOT art and that color scheme.
It might end up being like that "buttaface" chick you used to bang. Everything on her was mind blowing stuff and she rocked your world, but her face, which belongs in a brown paper bag, was not.
The LCD and light show are going to be SPECTACULAR.
THE sound is going to be AWESOME.
Dwight isn't going to F up the code, he'll do a great job and make it unlike Star Trek, with many more modes.
And there are things in there that we can't see or know about yet due to these shitty pics.
I love the hyper drive ramp.
So we will see, I'm not gonna judge it just by looking at the ugly face. Need to see her in action.

Yea, but with Buttaface, you can turn out the lights or use a paper bag........you can't play pinball in the dark unless you are a ........ Pinball Wizard.......

#558 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Yes but using your own words you didn't marry the bitter face chick, you just fucked the shit out of her nut denied it if anyone asked. It may be find to play but would you buy that ugly fucker.

Kind of like the similarity between ugly chicks and mopeds.......they are both fun to ride until your friends see you! Hopefully you will not have to wear a disguise to play this pin in public..........

#746 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You really have to wonder about this? The 1st trilogy is their bread & butter. All the pinside Nancy's need to relax a bit & wait till we see hi-res pics of the game and some gameplay features & videos. Man what a bunch of pansies this site as brought together.

Pansies Really? Because we voice an opinion about something we can see with our own eyes? No one is complaining about how it plays because we don't know...and in fact I am sure Dwight will do much more for this pin than the designer and artist obviously did, but if you show me a picture of shit......I am going to look at it and tell you that is shit. Granted, it might just smell like roses and bounce like silly-putty, but it is still shit. And with that said, I don't think I would be so quick to make assumptions about people just because they voice their opinion like you just did......just sayin.

#965 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I agree. While the playfield, backglass and side art are key, the most important things for me are: (1) how fun the game is to shoot; (2) how innovative and intuitive the rules are; and (3) the immersion level of the game.
I was and continue to be extremely excited about this game. Hell, I have a life sized Darth Vader in my gameroom.
As far as the visuals so far (based on the low res pics), I think the game is ok. It is about what I had expected. I think it looks good. ESB is probably my favourite movie, and I love the villains, so the premium artwork looks the best to me so far. The backglass on the LE is the biggest let down for me. I think it is possible that Stern may have some lighting effects to simulate "light speed" when that occurs in the game. That would be pretty cool. I think I just expected the LE to be more of a dark side / Vader vibe. I do like the glossy legs and armor on the LE.
As for how fun the game is to shoot, I trust Steve will deliver. It is a fan layout, and does have similarities to ACDC, but it does add an extra shot to the main playfield shots, so some of the shots may be a bit tougher to hit than ACDC. I expect it to feel buttery smooth. The metal ramps look great. I hope the Death Star and hyperspace features are well integrated. Maybe Steve was able to perfect the hyperspace shot based on the issues he had with the changed kickout on Star Trek (when it was changed to an upkick to the inlane). Really curious to see how the mech works under the Death Star on the premium / LE. Is it a ramp to shoot up, or a ramp that drops balls down? The extra LCD screen on the playfield could be a great addition. Hoping for magnets somewhere, or at lease something behind the 3 bank on the premium / LE.
For the rules, I have full faith and trust in Dwight. He absolutely cares about the games he puts out and I know he has been working hard on this title for a while. His code on GOT is simply amazing (all it needs is a few more callouts ). I expect great integration of modes and scoring strategies.
The final thing that is critical is the theme integration / immersion level. What I want in a game is to feel like I am in the world of the licence. And of all licences out there, Star Wars has the most iconic sounds, voice callouts and lighting effects. This can make or break this game. I so desperately hope that they have the full licence to use all the movie quotes, sounds (e.g. lightsaber, tie fighter, lasers, x-wing) and music from the movies. I want to FEEL the game. The lack of "toys" and average art can be rendered completely moot if the game is completely immersive. Think Tron. The playfield art on Tron is ok at best. There is what, one interactive toy on that game (i.e. 3 bank with the spinner). But yet when you play it, you enter the world of Tron due to the lighting, voices, and music. Same thing with Ironman and LOTR. I would absolutely take complete licence integration on this theme over a few extra toys on the playfield.
I cannot wait to share this game with my son and daughter. I know they will love it and it will be something we can share for years to come.

Like saying "heck yes she is ugly, but she sure can cook".........

#1175 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

All of these knee jerk reactions from hypersensitive pinsiders is quite frankly, insulting to this hobby. I find it amazing how many people are passing eternal judgement based on low res, 3D renders with no idea for what other elements may be hidden or obscured from view. mob mentality at its finest.
Oh, and I gotta love all the critics of STERN's marketing techniques - maybe they did this for a reason, they already know that WHATEVER they show, the pinside cry babies are going to be on here bitching about it, Ghostbusters was no different, even though most thought the art package was incredible it didn't stop the vocal minority from coming online and spewing their opinions everywhere, even down to as petty as bitching about the fonts on the inserts. The insensitivity is astounding - hundreds of people are working their asses off to do the best job they can and here hundreds of people are reaming them based on very limited info. When STERN does release the high res pics they'll be an improvement over what's out and be going the right direction.
I have a feeling the majority of haters in this thread are going to be eating crow when that formal announcement and game play videos come out. "The art package sucks, there's no features on that playfield, etc. etc. etc." It's just like GOTLE - the low res 3D CAD renders looked poor, but in person the game is beautiful. "Why did they just use crappy photoshopped images on GOTLE??" Oh wait, those are actually beautifully painted pieces of art. My gut tells me the same is going to be true on the cabinet art and translite art for Star Wars. Let's all just take a moment, take a breath and wait to see what the real product is going to look like. (But yes, I can admit the playfield is a little lackluster at the moment and fundamentally has some interesting design choices).
I keep looking at the playfield layout and keep seeing little nuances that make me more excited about this every day - little things like the nudge save on the LE/Premiums by the right outlane, the two slots underneath the death star indicating an interactive ramp, the large open space by the millienum falcon on the playfield - STERN ALWAYS puts inserts clustered together in the middle to save cost and assembly, they have to have a good reason to leave that free of holes. plus the other speculation from pinsiders about other hidden magnets and features, T2 style skill shot - who knows if the drop targets are like the hobbit and are individually controlled, I'd love that for a skill shot on SW.
When John William's score starts in and that first ball is launched I'm going to be time travelling and enjoying the hell out of the game. (and if they don't launch with John Williams, then you know what, it'll likely be just like my TWD with someone elses sound package that kicks ass).

You are in one of the best places in the entire country, so get out and enjoy it and de-stress a little, and maybe you can get rid of a little of that anger. Folks are commenting on the only thing they have seen so far, and they have a right to voice their opinion just like yours. It's only a game, so who cares who likes it and who does not, and I am sure a lot of opinions will change when more information is available...but again, so what. It is not "insensitive" to anyone if you don't like something....they put a product out to the public, and that is the risk they run. You like it and that should really be all that matters to you.....others don't and the world continues to turn and no one is hurt. At the end of the day, it is only pinball..........

#1516 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not really sure why Pinside is allowed to vent about the frustrations over Star Wars, but Steve Ritchie isn't allowed to vent about our venting?

He can vent all he wants, but he has to consider he is also selling a product and it is not smart to piss off your potential buyers. So free speech..yes, he can say whatever he wants, but he needs to be prepared for any fallout from those words....just the same as all of the rest of us. If I came on here and trashed by employers products and this got back to them, I would expect to be fired....free speech or not. It is up to Pinside to decide if calling everyone here a "Disease" is shrugged off, or if folks will take a stand. My guess is since this is the beloved and long awaited Star Wars grail, there will be very little, if any impact. Steve and Stern know they could sell an egg crate with a playfield right now, so long as they paint on a picture of Darth Vader and slap an LE designation on it.

#1676 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I've been on Pinside for a long time (and RGP before that). I'm not offended in the LEAST by what SR said. We all know the reputation of Pinside, and I saw his comment as a witty jab at that reputation (notice the smiley face at the end of his comment?).
Does SR need thicker skin, or do Pinsiders offended by his comments need thicker skin?
If you want to stand up for Pinside, make sure you have a red heart next to your Pinsider name

It is not a question of who has the thicker skin. It is a question of whether or not SR wants to sell a product. If he does not, then by all means, criticize full-tilt.....but if he does, then he shouldn't be calling his customers a disease.

#1708 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Clip art can be hand drawn. In fact when I think clip art first thing I think of is line drawings.
What Star Wars looks like to me, and obviously I'm only speculating, is that Stern had access to a library of Star Wars images, hand drawn images and whatever else, (remember, film images generally are pretty low rez for print use, actually taking a movie clip for your art is going to be pretty rare, or used for smaller stuff). They brought those images into Photoshop and collaged together a layout.
Like the end result or not that how I imagine it was actually assembled. So Photoshop, clip art, hand drawn, you can be all of those.

I have a former classmate who loves in Seattle and did a lot of artwork for LucasFilms. I am not sure how it works now that Disney has taken over, but based on the samples of the posters and artwork he has posted over the years, I am going to be at least part of what are on the SW games are images he produced. Hand-drawn, but Photoshopped in for sure. I dropped him a note to get his feelings on the artwork, although I am sure he is a bit biased. lol

#1719 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Nice, must be funny for your friend to see his artwork pop up on all kinds of crazy Star Wars merch. If he is OK with you sharing, it would be fun to hear this thoughts on the playfield design.

I know he did several licensed posters and movie bills, etc. I have no idea how many artists they employ to do that type of work, but a very talented guy. He actually worked with Harrison Ford on the set of Extraordinary Measures.

s0 (resized).jpgs0 (resized).jpg
s2 (resized).jpgs2 (resized).jpg
s1 (resized).jpgs1 (resized).jpg
s3 (resized).jpgs3 (resized).jpg
s5 (resized).jpgs5 (resized).jpg
s4 (resized).jpgs4 (resized).jpg
s8 (resized).jpgs8 (resized).jpg
s9 (resized).jpgs9 (resized).jpg

#1788 6 years ago

Red alert, I repeat Red Alert.....wait , wrong show........

trek_red_alert (resized).jpgtrek_red_alert (resized).jpg

#1871 6 years ago

15K by Christmas and I am sure payments are already flowing...... I still don't get it, and I still don't like the artwork and layout, but that is just me...lol Glad some of you are getting your grails.......

#2259 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I have a former classmate who loves in Seattle and did a lot of artwork for LucasFilms. I am not sure how it works now that Disney has taken over, but based on the samples of the posters and artwork he has posted over the years, I am going to be at least part of what are on the SW games are images he produced. Hand-drawn, but Photoshopped in for sure. I dropped him a note to get his feelings on the artwork, although I am sure he is a bit biased. lol

Talked to my former classmate and he did the artwork for the Pro cabinet. Yes, hand-drawn, based on a stock model image. He said it was crazy to see it out in the public so soon after finishing it. (just a few weeks)

Star (resized).jpegStar (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 26.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Palm Springs, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.