8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider japespin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5284 6 years ago

This is true. I think they did themselves a disservice by going straight to mode-stacking during the demo in the Jack Danger video. Instead of showing off some of the coolness of each of the singular modes first, it looks like jumping straight to the mode-stacking in the beginning completely confused a lot of people (at least based on the commentary here on Pinside).

I love the stacking though. Once the novelty of the individual modes starts to get old, you can dive into stacking modes to up the challenge.

I can't wait to see the Premium flipping. Seriously considering this to be my first NIB purchase.

1 month later
#6555 6 years ago

Pretty fun pin. Finally was able to try it out. Shots are buttery smooth, light show is awesome, and the video implementation is actually pretty good. I stayed away from stacking modes, and had a blast going through the different modes/scenes.

In pockets, I felt like I was in the Star Wars universe, albeit behind a couple of flippers. But then there were major moments where I felt like I was pulled out of the immersion, and was just playing a pinball.

So what pulled me out? It wasn't toys, it wasn't multipliers, it wasn't any of that.

It was how little John Williams score was actually used in the game. Most of us have seen this movie a billion times, and have played the countless arcade and home console video games twice as much. There are certain John Williams themes which are synonymous with certain Star Wars moments. Without that soundtrack/themes, those moments just don't feel complete.

Take the Death Star attack scene, for example. From the actual "A New Hope" movie, to Sega Star Wars Trilogy (video game) in the arcade, to Rogue Squadron on the Nintendo Game Cube to even Super Star Wars on the old Super Nintendo, when it's time to attack the Death Star, that John Williams "Battle of Yavin" theme has always been the soundtrack which drives the emotion of that moment. It helps put us in that X-Wing cockpit, feeling like we're racing down that trench to fire a torpedo into that exhaust port to destroy the Death Star. Yet in this pin, that major element is taken away from us.

Link to soundtrack I'm speaking about:

(Especially from the 5:27 mark on.)

Instead, we're given a different MIDI sequenced soundtrack that, while decent, just isn't what we've come accustomed to in that major Star Wars scene. It really took me out of the moment, removed me from the immersion, made it feel "not Star Wars".

There were other moments too which I really felt would have immersed me, made me feel like I was in that scene, simply by using the proper John Williams score.

Is this something that can be addressed with a future software update?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not in the "I hate this game" camp. But man, it really needs that John Williams score to help draw emotion in those major Star Wars moments.

#6558 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I read somewhere on here TJS they only had rights to 3 songs because they were too expensive. No idea if that's fake news or real news.

Yeah, I don't know. Shouldn't the John Williams score be accounted for as a necessary expense when building a Star Wars pin? Think about all of the video games, heck, even the Zen pinball games that use numerous John Williams score/themes to bring those scenes to life. Just feels like a bad area to cut corners.

Anyways, I don't wanna be "that guy" beating this game to death. Other than this issue (which is a major one for me personally) I'm still enjoying the game for what it is.

3 weeks later
#7027 6 years ago
Quoted from sprite:

Picked up my premium today. Only played two quick games but loving it so far.

How do you like having both Star Wars AND Game of Thrones in the lineup at home?

Do you feel they're too similar, or do they differentiate enough to keep both long-term together?

The reason I ask is because I want a Star Wars, but the wife wants GoT. lol

I can potentially get both, but have leaning towards getting one or the other, since they're both Steve Ritchie "flow" type games.

#7030 6 years ago
Quoted from MattS:

I have SWLE and GOT pro, the are completely different in the way they shoot.
Layout may look similar but the gameplay is not the same at all.

MattS Thanks for the input. Could you elaborate on the difference in the way they shoot? Pertaining to the way the game is coded? The general tempo of how it plays?

I actually like the way GOT plays.

I've heard from multiple people here on Pinside early on that Star Wars is like GOT, but faster.

#7060 6 years ago

MattS skyrex Apollyon I really like GoT Pro. I play it on location whenever I find one. The Premium is cool too, but the Pro is the one I've played extensively, and I really enjoy it. Still got get more time in on Star Wars though. Found a place locally that has it, so I plan on giving it some run-time this weekend. You guys got me thinking about "both" as a legit option now. LOL

2 weeks later
#7210 6 years ago

OK, now that many of you have had your SW pins at home for some extended time now, I'm curious to know...

PRO owners: Do you regret not spending the extra cash for the Premium?

PREMIUM owners: Do you feel the hyperloop and exploding Death Star justify the extra $$$ spent?

After playing both on location over the last few weeks, I'm truly torn between the two. Admittedly, my initial reaction to the Pro was that it was rather bare, while the Premium had more of an initial wow factor to me at first sight. I'm just not sure if it's $2k+ worth of wow. LOL Regardless, after spending more time on both, I found them both equally fun. I'm just trying to figure out which one to pull the trigger on.

1 month later
#7422 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So was watching chuckwurt stream from a month ago, v.92. Since it's not clear as day what to shoot for, This game seems to really thrive on knowledge of the ruleset. It see,s to be all based on sound effects, and very little emphasis of call outs. I hope to play a pro again someday on the updated code as i seem to be learning the rulese more.

THIS ^^^

Yeah, the call outs didn’t help me much at first either. Learning the rule set is key to really unlocking this particular game. I had to pretty much compartmentalize the different aspects to it to learn it over 20-30 games. A few sessions, worked on getting to Lightsaber dual and finishing it, another Escape from Boba Fett, another working on the plant modes/multiballs, another working on the multipliers, and now to this day, still trying to put it all together. Of course, I’m not the greatest pinball player, but it’s all clicked to me finally from a rule standpoint, and I’m having a blast. My high score is a little over 2 billion (like I said, not the greatest), and I’m on a pro.

#7427 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I installed a plasma pop bumper and a lighted Star Destroyer from lightedpinballmods.com. Both were easy to install and look really cool. I chose black for the pop bumper, and really like the color, but it’s not quite as bright as red or blue would be. Here’s a pic. I have a video too, which shows them better, but don’t know how to upload it to pinside...any help?

I like it. I was thinking of picking up this mod as well. Can you post a pic of the whole playfield with the Star Destroyer lit up? Would love to get a full view of how it looks with the rest of the playfield elements.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider japespin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=japespin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.