8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6427 6 years ago

I can't find the light bulb type for the bulbs under the plastics just above the flipper. Are they wedges or bayonets? I've looked through the manual, but can't find the specs for this. I would like to change one side to blue led and the other to red led. Hoping with clear flipper rubbers it'll look kinda like lightsabers.

#6429 6 years ago

Thanks

#6435 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

dont change them they wont look right. the GI is color coded and goes all red, white, or blue during different modes and hurry ups

Ah. Good to know. Next wishlist mod it lighted flippers, but the ones I've seen are expensive.

#6439 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Watching video now
Can someone tell me what time in the video the Death Star explodes
Thanks

You're about to be disappointed.

#6440 6 years ago

This is a lamp, but this is how I envisioned the exploding Death Star. Wish it looked more like this.

IMG_0120 (resized).PNGIMG_0120 (resized).PNG

#6446 6 years ago

I saw someone mention an original playfield design with a playfield magnet. Where was this suppose to be. Bummed there isn't one, and just curious.

#6451 6 years ago

This bums me out a little. Wish they would've left it in.

#6521 6 years ago
Quoted from MattS:

This all makes perfect sense from a business perspective and I agree 100%. BUT.....for most of us, pinball is not a business, it is a hobby and hobbies cost money.
It is interesting to me how this hobby has a different thought process then most other hobbies. Everyone (me included) would like to get most, if not all, of their money back when they sell a machine after playing it for X number of months/years. On used machines, sometimes you can find a deal that allows you to play it for months/years and make some money. NIB machines sometimes go up but that is rare and should never be counted on.
Almost all other hobbies where the actual item you "play with" guns, cars, motorcycles, etc. cost a significant amount of money compared to pinball. By cost, I mean when you sell the item, pinball machine, gun, car, etc.what was the cost of ownership vs the amount of fun you had with it.
Example: you buy a rifle, take it to the range a few times a month, and shoot a couple hundred rounds each trip. Range fee+ammo+targets+gas+travel time to the range = cost that you can never get back but you had fun. Value of the gun itself is probably similar to what you paid for it in most cases.
Cars : you like going to the track (dragstrip, road course, doesn't really matter) you will go through tires+brakes+fluid changes more often +gas +any mods you decide to do to make it faster/handle better+as a rule, most all cars depreciate at some level= costs that you can never get back but you had fun. The car will almost certainly be worth less than what you paid for it in most cases.
Pinball: plug it in and play it + mods if you want +little to no maintenance (on a new machine in the short term) = you had fun (assuming you liked the machine you bought) and sold it for a price lower that what you paid (remember, a pinball machine is not an investment) but you had fun, hopefully shared it with some friends, and start looking for your next machine.
The pinball machine will be worth close to what you paid for it, some cases more but I would never count on that. How do you put a value on the fun you have and the friends you make in this hobby?
SWLE is approximately $1200 more than a premium. Is it worth it? I don't know, haven't seen one in person but I like the pictures. Will I like the way it plays? I don't know, Jack Danger and crew sure made it look fun TO ME. Will I lose money if and when I decide to sell it? I don't know but I am excited to play it, I have been a Star Wars fan since I was a little kid so if it costs me money to find out, I am OK with that. My hope is that I love it and it stays in my collection for a long time.
With all this being said, am I happy about paying $8500 for it at this time? No. Do I feel BM66 SLE was worth $5000 more than the LE at this time? No. Will I continue to buy at these prices? Unsure at this time.
I am fortunate enough to be able to afford these machines and share them with as many friends as I can but I feel for the people that are being/have been priced out.
Sorry for the long winded post but I feel sometimes the greatness that is pinball as a hobby gets lost in the bickering over price and value. What has value to you, 90's Williams games for example, doesn't have value to me, I don't like playing most of them (not directed at anyone specific, just a general statement). That's what makes this hobby so great, there are enough choice out there to make everyone happy!
Hope everyone has a great day!

Spot on! This is what I tell the people around me who think I'm crazy for paying this much on a pin.

#6523 6 years ago
Quoted from MattS:

Don't kid yourself, we are all crazy for paying as much as we do.
Back to Star Wars, I vote for no depreciation!

By the time I'm done playing my new SW prem...it'll have 40k plays and be worth 1/2 as much...but the fun I'll get out of it will be so worth it

#6596 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Agreed.
I'm @ home today trying not to puke.
There's a NIB en route to my house today.
Will it arrive safely? Will it arrive on time? What about concealed damage? Will it ghost? Is the cabinet going to split? Will the software & bugs get taken care of? What about node boards?
The life of a pinball idiot is a difficult one

Nothing like waiting for a NIB pin and that first play. Congrats. Good luck. From what I've seen, if there is a major problem Stern and your distro will help you out in most instances.

1 week later
#6864 6 years ago

The remote outlet strip is an awesome idea! No sure why I didn't think of this earlier. Can even get ones that are controlled with "alexa"...unless it bugs you that the CIA knows what pins you have

#6921 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

It does NOT shoot out a hologram, or project anything.

Name sources and pics...

#6924 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I heard it was more of a "cutaway" design, as well as a touching tribute to Kenny Baker. Leaked prototype pic:

Haha! Totally in!

#6926 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Simmer down now....that's an early proto leak.
Obviously that's a little too much BOM for a paltry 5-600USD. They are in fact including the Styrofoam in the background and there will be a "cut away" where you can put a picture of yourself or Gary or a bottle of gin whatever.

For that...I'm in for $750.

#7020 6 years ago

Just got the e-mail. My premium is coming next week! Gonna have mirror blades, shake motor, and blue lighted flipper buttons installed. Kinda sad as my TZ and Cyclone will be leaving, but I find I'm not playing them much anymore, so time for a rotation, and SW is a grail game for me.

#7055 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

I have only played a couple dozen games and just noticed all the divots already! This is my first NIB game, is that to be expected? I have newer IM and see some divots there too but really surprised at this. The playfield is beautiful and hate to see it. Do the divots just blend together as time goes on? I have other old games like DESW and dont see any divots but maybe the whole field is one big divot? I did read some rants about the stern clearcoats. Is this a poor quality issue or an inexperience with a perfectly new field?

Divots are normal. Stop looking so close and enjoy the game.

#7056 6 years ago

If you want a perfect Ferrari...stop driving/playing it and just look at it.

1 week later
#7185 6 years ago

I just got mine. Haven't installed it yet. Probably tomorrow. I can let ya know how it does.

#7212 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

OK, now that many of you have had your SW pins at home for some extended time now, I'm curious to know...
PRO owners: Do you regret not spending the extra cash for the Premium?
PREMIUM owners: Do you feel the hyperloop and exploding Death Star justify the extra $$$ spent?
After playing both on location over the last few weeks, I'm truly torn between the two. Admittedly, my initial reaction to the Pro was that it was rather bare, while the Premium had more of an initial wow factor to me at first sight. I'm just not sure if it's $2k+ worth of wow. LOL Regardless, after spending more time on both, I found them both equally fun. I'm just trying to figure out which one to pull the trigger on.

I haven't played the pro...but I don't regret paying more for the premium. I can't imagine not having the hyperloop...such a rush. The theme was a grail pin for me...so I can justify the money a couple ways. I haven't blown up the Death Star yet, glad it's hard to do...kinda like being "in the zone" on TZ. My wife and I have about 350 plays on SW in a little over a week...can't stop playing it!

#7220 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Ok... the posts about getting to the Death Star exploding had me wondering one thing? Is this similar in any way to getting to DTR in LOTR? The light show and flipper craziness is one of my favorite things ever in pinball, but I've only done it like 3-4 times in the last year. Is it similar in difficulty to get to it? And is it similar in how the pin reacts once you do? If the answer is no for both, I can't help but think it's a lost opportunity... but admittedly I don't own SW yet so have very little clue about the overall rules and gameplay. Forgive me if this is like comparing apples and oranges... or Hobbits and Jedi.

From what I have seen in video...not like that. But, this is a very good early code compared to LOTR. I have faith that this will be epic light, sound, and all out show in the end.

#7222 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I actually have only one question left about this game: Where the f**k is the overpriced topper???

Agreed!! I suspect they will show it closer to the release of the next Star Wars...marketing and such.

#7239 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So I'm curious on the hyper loop. How often is it utilized? Are casual players able to walk up and get it going to? Trying to figure out if it's worth it over the pro.

I find it is used fairly often. The shot can be hard though. If you just play a couple games, will take luck. If you spend some time on it, you'll definitely see it. For me, it is a major rush.

#7244 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

OK, now that many of you have had your SW pins at home for some extended time now, I'm curious to know...
PRO owners: Do you regret not spending the extra cash for the Premium?
PREMIUM owners: Do you feel the hyperloop and exploding Death Star justify the extra $$$ spent?
After playing both on location over the last few weeks, I'm truly torn between the two. Admittedly, my initial reaction to the Pro was that it was rather bare, while the Premium had more of an initial wow factor to me at first sight. I'm just not sure if it's $2k+ worth of wow. LOL Regardless, after spending more time on both, I found them both equally fun. I'm just trying to figure out which one to pull the trigger on.

I have the premium, and the hyperloop is a blast. I haven't played the pro, but I can hit the horseshoe loop from both sides, and the ball screams (with the fork ramp down...as if the hyperloop wasn't there). Star Wars was a grail pin for me, so I can justify the extra cash. I own a Met pro...I didn't see the extra value in the premium, and felt the added features slowed game play. Bottom line, if you're on the fence....I agree with @john1210, go with the pro.

#7246 6 years ago
Quoted from Behnendl:

Does anybody know where or how you can purchase the back glass art work for the various models? I have a LE but would like all the art work for each model.

I thought the LE came with all 3 translites.

2 weeks later
#7277 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Curious what owners of Le/premium think at this point? I'm still considering a premium but was hoping to see more code updates at this point. How's the fun factor and lastability feel at this early point of ownership?

I own the premium. Love it! Fast, good rules (yes there are some things that need to be ironed out), and difficult enough to make this a keeper for a long time. I love the hyperloop, really an adrenaline rush. I don't have a lot of pins (only 2 now), so it gets a ton of play...close to 650 plays so far, and I'm far from bored.

1 week later
#7300 6 years ago
Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

Hi Everyone,
I just received my SW Premium today and am in the process of unboxing and setting it up. I have a couple questions, this is my 2nd NIB pinball ever and the 1st one was a while ago so I feel like a newbie
* What is the black plastic cover for below the start button? It is to the left of the coin door.
* Is there anything I should be looking for during setup others have encountered on this pin? I'll do the standard check on plugs, wires, etc before I turn it on. I felt the legs on this pin don't quite snug up really close to the cabinet the whole way down the front of the cabinet compared to the other 2 I have. Doesn't look to be a flaw, just an observation all legs were the same.
* I saw in another thread the removed .92 code, sounds like it had some issues so I'll hold off on that (can't dl it anymore on the website)
Just waiting for a friend to come over and help put the rear legs on and I'll get this baby cranked up!

1) The black plastic to the left of the coin door is the plug for the hole for the tournament button.
2) I agree with NoQuarters level, level, level. Must be perfect side to side and at 6.5 degrees or slightly less. Also close the left and right drain lanes (you can open them up as you get better).
3) Don't do .92 code yet. There is a theory that it is killing the fork ramp. Stern is working on this. .89 is a great code (although .92 is a big upgrade when they figure this out).

The game is a blast! Enjoy!!

#7303 6 years ago
Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

I have it up and running, I have it level and the only thing I'm noticing is that the mystery shot when the ball ejects it seems 90% of the time to be right down the drain. Sometimes it will hit the edge of the left flipper but it is rare.
In terms of closing up the drain lanes - do you just take a wrench and loosen the nut and slide those down?

My mystery shot worked great out of box, but many had to go into the service menu and decrease the strength (15-30)...it should then hit your right flipper. To close the lanes you'll need to rest the playfield on the service rails and then you should be able to loosen/take off the nut from the post, move the post to the lower hole, and replace the nut.

#7376 6 years ago

I posted these pics in another thread. 1st is original, 2nd is new. Notice center right the burn on the board. That's the 9D board.

8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
F272AAB4-3533-43FB-82D6-710295326A3D (resized).jpegF272AAB4-3533-43FB-82D6-710295326A3D (resized).jpeg

#7384 6 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

I got an email yesterday from my distributor telling buyers to not install code .92, but said .89 and .91 were OK. Has that changed, should we be rolling back to just .89? At this point I may just wait until they have an official fix...

Yeah, I think that's the board for the fork. and the problem with the fork burning out...

The 9D board gives the fork ramp motor power. I've heard others with .91 still having fork ramp failures...so, as much as it hurts, .89 is the safest for the premium/LE fo now. I can't help but think Stern is scrambling to fix this, as failure on this theme would be epic.

#7390 6 years ago

Whatever blew up, it's going back to Stern for testing. Hopefully, they get to the bottom of the problem soon.

3 weeks later
#7425 6 years ago

I installed a plasma pop bumper and a lighted Star Destroyer from lightedpinballmods.com. Both were easy to install and look really cool. I chose black for the pop bumper, and really like the color, but it’s not quite as bright as red or blue would be. Here’s a pic. I have a video too, which shows them better, but don’t know how to upload it to pinside...any help?

DEF89B43-B640-4E42-8635-9BD608064D63 (resized).jpegDEF89B43-B640-4E42-8635-9BD608064D63 (resized).jpeg

#7431 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

I like it. I was thinking of picking up this mod as well. Can you post a pic of the whole playfield with the Star Destroyer lit up? Would love to get a full view of how it looks with the rest of the playfield elements.

Here ya go.

62061B38-8060-4461-8F4D-242BD9B0E9BC (resized).jpeg62061B38-8060-4461-8F4D-242BD9B0E9BC (resized).jpeg

#7433 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

As much as I like Star destroyers, (imho) its a bit too large and looks off. Though I thought the falcon was also a tad too big.

I feel it balances the playfield (with the Death Star...I know, not to scale). The Star Destroyer glows...where the paint is thin, the light shows through. I know not for everyone...but I like to make my games mine.

#7436 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I actually like that star destroyer. Not sure about the glowing effect yet, but overall I like it. Nothing else is correct size on table like falcon size of death star, so I think it works well.

Actually, the glowing part is what makes it. The grey color and type of paint was a little off, but under glass and lit it really looks good. In the pic, it looks like it's lit by spots or other GI lighting, but that is actually the mod.

3 weeks later
#7444 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The fork ramp is a mess. I hate it. I've played several premiums and an LE. It never fails to be dumb for a variety of reasons.

I like it. Each to their own. Pinball is pinball, as long as there’s pinball. Party on Wayne!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=dnapac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.