8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#257 6 years ago

Wow - being a Star Wars fan and having bought 5 Stern LEs in the past, I thought SWLE would be a guaranteed purchase for me.

I'll hold final judgement until I see game play and better photos, but it's looking like a pass.

So disappointed!

#1203 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Wow - being a Star Wars fan and having bought 5 Stern LEs in the past, I thought SWLE would be a guaranteed purchase for me.
I'll hold final judgement until I see game play and better photos, but it's looking like a pass.
So disappointed!

OK - so I slept on it a couple of nights, studied the pics a bit more, consulted with the wife, etc.

I still don't like the PF art.....but.....I also don't love the PF art on Tron and it's my favorite game of all time.

I actually like the cabinets and backglasses of all 3 games. I am going to hold out hope that the game is immersive like Tron is.

So....I'm in on an LE!

In the words of Han: "C'mon baby, don't let me down!"

#1254 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Wasn't that Lando?

Maybe Lando said it too, but this was the quote I was referring to:

#1709 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Star Trek LEs dipped as low as $6K in the fall of 2014 (that's when I snatched one up) ... they're back up *around* what they sold for new. Of course, it won't sell instantly at a higher price like a Tron LE (as an example). I doubt I'll be selling it anytime soon ... my son would kill me . He's only three, but he's a scary three and is way too addicted to that game .
Overall, and please don't interpret this as an LE owner trying to hype their particular game (I'm not that petty), you need to treat a purchase of an LE as a "toy" vs. an investment. LEs will probably have decent collector value years from now. However, the 'instant spikes' you saw with previous LEs is more than likely a thing of the past. I'll be getting a Star Wars LE and couldn't care less what happens to the price (well, I wouldn't be angry if it spiked up to the infamous $10K by Christmas nor will I be happy if it plummets to 1/2 the purchase price by Christmas ... I'll just enjoy the damn thing and forget about those details ) ... this will be my first and likely last NIB purchase since I prefer used at a discount .
If you worry about the value of these things when you buy them, you shouldn't be buying NIB ... just get yourself 'player' versions of the games you enjoy on the secondary markets ... those tend to hold their value well. If the value of something is more your thing, you're going to make a lot more money buying and holding mutual funds over the long haul and getting excellent condition used pins .

In general, LEs hold their value and slowly gain value over time. Sometimes they do dip below their initial price due to unfinished code (STLE) or gameplay issues not initially addressed (GoT, GB) or both (TWD, TH). But after those are resolved, the prices generally start creeping back up again.

Star Wars may have a slight advantage due to the theme - just look at the price of DESW right now.

#1714 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Check out the price of a DESW with a signed translite!

Heh - I remember that thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/signed-de-star-wars-estimated-value

#1844 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Doesn't look like the rails on the LE light up, though.

only a matter of time...but yea, more mod $$$

#1865 6 years ago

No real backglass on the LE, but the matrix states:

Limited Edition includes all 3 original themed translites featuring hand-drawn art

#1870 6 years ago

Is this a new feature?

All new EZ Slide cabinet brackets for smooth and easy playfield access

#1880 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

That is a huge miss for the LE.
RZ has a real backglass.
Hyperdrive ramp does sound awesome though.
Do like the look of the LE.

It would be hard to swap in the Prem/Pro translite if the LE was a backglass. But yea, I'll miss having a real backglass.

#1882 6 years ago

"interactive Magnetic Hyperdrive Ball Accelerator speeds multiple balls furiously around a circuit above the playfield"

Will be interesting to see how this works. I applaud the use of the word "furiously".

#1918 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

$1100 more for LE over Premium for 2 signatures and 2 extra translites and lollipop rails.

It looks like all the armor is powder coated gloss black on the LE.

But yea, they should have thrown in a shaker on the LE and then it would have been a little more bang for the buck.

#1940 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think its going to be similar to Tron in that its going to be a little underwhelming (for many) bone stock, but once the right mods are added it will shine up nicely. Add some ships, replace the cheap looking pop caps, some other items yet to be thought of and it will look good. The real down side is that its starting out with a much higher price.

I agree - needs new pop caps, new playfield LCD bezel, side art and maybe some fancy EL type lighting on the ramps.

I wish the tie fighter was darth vader's tie fighter and could spin when you blew up the death star (in addition to wiggling).

#1949 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I hope this means no more slam to put the playfield back in. That would be really nice.

Yea, it's dumb that 1990s BLY/WMS games still have better rails than Stern. Hopefully they are similar now.

#2088 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Here are the things I'm disappointed in:
No light-up rails on the LE.
No shaker on the LE.
No magnets anywhere except on the hyperspace accelerator.
No glass translite.
Not enough toys and everything is on the left side. (You're welcome, Panzer!)
Slow-motion video makes it look like you're playing The Hobbit.
No multi-color RGB on each insert as in previous games.
Exploding death star looks like a light-up mushroom.
And NO PLATE ON THE LOCKDOWN BUTTON!!! (I mean...REALLY???)
The things I like:
The hyperspace thing looks pretty awesome.
Let me get back to you on the rest...

Yea - I think they are pushing the limits on how little they can do on the LEs and still have them sell well.

Basically they are down to:
All 3 translites
Different side rails
Powder coat

Whereas with STLE:
Real backglass
Stainless speaker panel
Powder coat
Custom backlit side rails
Lit backbox emblems
Shaker

That's pretty sad considering their cost on 2 extra translites and powder coat is $100-$200.

#2107 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am wondering if Steve was put on a tight leash for this title? Did Stern give Steve like 6 months to complete this game? Did Steve have a budget to work with? Mabye all of the attention went into the new LCD on playfield? No magnets on Star Wars is sacrilegious, where is the Force-C'mon. I am loving my Ghostbusters with random magnetic slings-such a fantastic game. Steve should have implemented magnets for Star Wars-Doh.

I think the layout is fantastic and it will play as smooth as butter. I'm excited *if* the LCD/Audio are well integrated.

SWEP1 had a magnet and it didn't salvage the game for me.

What I'm bummed about is that they cheaped out on the LE whereas they gave Star Trek LE so much love. I wish all of us LE buyers would band together and boycott the LEs and let them rot to send a message. It depends on the price I get back from my distrib for the LE, but I'm seriously considering moving to a Premium for the first time ever.

#2144 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The LE is underwhelming and overpriced.
The Pro leaves off the most exciting (only?) feature of the Premium and may only be viable for casual touristy locations.
It looks like it will play fast like other SR designs, but this game seems to be much more wait-and-see than buy-one-now.

I'm curious to see how the hyperdrive is integrated into the game - ie how often it's used and if it makes any difference in gameplay.

The hyperdrive, death star egg and lane gate are going to cost us $1700 over a pro.

#2166 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Let's cut corners but still charge more! Complete BS

I think they may have changed their mind as the Prem/LE prices are on the website now. I doubt they would increase them now.

#2206 6 years ago
Quoted from thearcadegeek:

Anyone with some photoshop skills able to drop the Pro and Premium Translites into an LE? I ordered the LE and am curious what the other tranlites may look like.

Not that great:

Hybrid_Cab (resized).jpgHybrid_Cab (resized).jpg

#2209 6 years ago

With Pro:

Hybrid_Cab2 (resized).jpgHybrid_Cab2 (resized).jpg

#2212 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

It looks best with the pro translite IMO.

I agree - colors blend a little better.

Quoted from Pimp77:

That side with that translite looks sweet.

Sorry - I was meaning my super fast MSPaint rendering wasn't that good. But it gets the point across.

#2339 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As a company though that wants to come across as taking pride in their products I'm surprised Stern doesn't want to offer more value with LE's. They did with Star Trek LE.

Do you really feel that Stern wants to come across as taking pride in their products?

To me, Stern comes across as wanting to make as much money as possible.

They could have easily made SWLE as cool as STLE. At least add EL paper under the side rails, keep the real backglass, add a shaker. Maybe that's $200 BOM to do those changes. But that's $200 that's not necessary if we keep buying all the LEs.

This is hands down the most stripped LE that they've ever produced. But it's Star Wars and they knew they could get away with it. It's disgusting really.

#2571 6 years ago

tbanthony - thanks for the pics.

Can you confirm that there were actual clips from the movies? I saw the post that there were 400 video scenes - but I didn't know if that meant actual scenes from the movies or game specific graphics like the ones in the pics.

Could you hear any of the callouts? I would be interested to hear who was doing those...hopefully not the TWD callout guy.

#2644 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, neither model of Star Wars has a lot of interactive toys and features. For $1700 over the pro to premium cost you are getting a plastic Death Star that opens up with a cube of lights in it, Falcon figurine, metal ramps, metal habit rails and the magnet device that moves balls around in a loop.

You forgot about the one feature that I'm most excited about on the Prem/LE - the jump ramp. Ramping balls up into the death star is going to be the most rewarding shot in the game IMO - you won't be able to experience that on a Pro.

#2693 6 years ago

For all of you that keep saying, "it's less than I expected but at least it's Star Wars and will play well", I give you this:

Wrong-Leia (resized).jpgWrong-Leia (resized).jpg

#2734 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The Hobbit is objectively worse than GB. Let's just accept that and move on. Star Wars will be better than The Hobbit too.

Quote the opposite BY A LONG SHOT.

Linear mode progression in GB SUCKS - worst idea ever. If I want linear mode progression, I'll play a video game.

#2741 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Someone start a Hobbit vs Ghostbusters thread and get that crap out of here. Time to get back to Star Wars!!

In all fairness, I love everything about Ghostbusters except the linear mode progression - but I detest that so much it kept me from owning the game. Someday I *hope* they add an option that allows for randomizing the modes.

OK - I'm back to Star Wars...but I'm not sure what else we have to talk about until we see some gameplay footage.

#2779 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

JJP Also released a terrible
Game in the hobbit, one of the worst ever. Shouldn't we expect better?

Come on - I agree with 90% of what you say, but this statement is just silly. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a terrible game and certainly not "one of the worst ever".

#2786 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It gets so old man. For two years now people are CONSTANTLY dragging The Hobbit into every Stern thread. And the hobbit sucks. No serious pinball player I know likes it. It's boring, it's got a terrible layout, and it's so easy that you'd have to make major modifications to it to make it challenging for even a below average player.
Comparing hobbit to Star Wars is a joke. Hobbit is a total novelty and that's all it will ever be, down to its terrible layout. Star Wars is awesome and another steve ritchie classic, and hobbit is and always will be the hobbit.

I don't know how one would define "serious pinball player", but I would define anyone that has a pinball machine in their house as a "serious pinball player". Everyone agrees the rules need a little more polish to make the game more cohesive and incentivize mode play, but it's not a terrible layout. Gold Wings is a terrible layout.

#3100 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Would it be cool to fire a ball from the lifting twin-finned ramp as it loops to the Death Star Cadbury-disco-egg?

Look at the playfield pic closer. The jump ramp doesn't interrupt the hyperloop. It allows you jump balls directly from the playfield into the Death Star.

This is actually the biggest difference between the Pro and Prem/LE IMO - it will be a very satisfying shot.

#3111 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I see it.
Still looks like it starts under the hyper loop portion of the wireform (that's already through the Death Star) to the back of the panel and continues up to the actual motor that sustains/drives the balls around the loop. That flap underneath the DS' hyperloop seems to be an airball guide so the ball doesn't accidentally fly off it's path from the finned ramp.
Are you saying it's only purpose (from the front) is a kill shot using that flap as an entry point?
I would think it'd be anti-climatic for that shot to ONLY stop then and there at the Death Star.
You gotta see that final proton torpedo build up a bit of suspense/drama with at least one loop, no?
You shoot the shot, it's held briefly until Luke's final torpedo launch scene is played and the ball whizzes around the wireform in sync to the main video screen torpedos, both go into tiny hole, everybody bails; Death Star explodes etc...

I don't know that the jumped ball stops at the Death Star or if it continues through and around to the front.

But if you look at the bottom of the wireform, there is no place where the jump rails could move past freely. And even if it did, the only place the ball could go off of the wireform is into the side of the Death Star - and then bouncing off wildly into the glass.

I think it shows the jump ramp lifting in the promo video and it only moves up an inch or two, so I think that flap under the Death Star has to just be a continuation of the ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.95
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 21.50
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=damonator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.