8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1429 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

And frankly, his comment about Pinside and needing "meds" makes me not want to buy anything that pads his pockets. Without us, he wouldn't have a fuckin job. Sorry, but that comment was irritating. People on this site spent a lot of money on the games this guy designed, and will again.

But you don't buy new Sterns. You've been disappointed with the build quality, citing "40-50%" of the ones that you know of, have a MAJOR issue of one kind or another.
Isn't that what you said recently? You mostly just sell B/W games, right?
So I'm going to say that he's 100% correct. And I do buy new Stern pins.

So maybe it's time to up your medication. And be embarrassed to be part of a group of people so vocal and negative that the top people in the industry have taken notice and made comments.
Seriously. This hobby is ridiculous. The amount of money that any of us have invested in it. And one might think that since we're all enjoying the same hobby, that this website would be a place for positive comments and discussions.
Nope. Pinside is the most negative place I know when it comes to pinball.
Ironic, huh?

#1483 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is a discussion forum. If you can't handle things being discussed then learn to knit or something.

The point is, it's NOT a discussion. It's a slam-fest.
But if you enjoy hundreds of hate-filled posts about how crappy playfield art is, and how disappointing it is for a massive licence, then I invite you to take a look at the Alien thread.

If you think for a second that all the negativity on here is a plus for pinball in any way, you're nuts. It's like racist biggots yelling hateful rants, and arguing that it's "free speech".

#1561 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Well said.
I agree totally with tigerlaw as well. His numbers are even being very conservative as there are surely many more Pinsiders that do not have their games listed or just use the site for info and never post at all.
Pinside is a tremendous resource of info and Stern should stop lying to us and themselves.
Real numbers don't lie.

I'd suggest that it's more like: "Pinside COULD be a tremendous resource of info..." and would further suggest that it would be awesome if Stern looked at Pinside as the pinball die-hard fans, with whom they could share information about upcoming games, and ask our opinions about stuff.
But right now, we're seen more as a disease.

But hey; it's important that we all have the right to write derogatory comments, complaining for more than 30 pages about artwork, having not even seen hi-res photos yet. So it's all good!

#1611 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm putting 2 x 2 together here. Guardians is up next with the Archer layout. Smassa would probably know what his friend Elwin is up to.

I'd love to see them make that Archer pin.

#1912 6 years ago

I really hope there's more to the video mode than "pound the action button". TONS of opportunity for an amazing video mode. IE: tie fighter flying around, in and out of your target sights. Maybe you would have to have great timing while playing multiballs. If this is a pound fest like track-and-field arcade...

Having said that, I am stoked about the 9 different multiballs modes and think the LCD looks amazing.
Overall, looks cool.

#2285 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Weird thing is, I think almost everyone in this thread is spot on, pro and con. But for me at LEAST 50% of the fun of pinball is sound, light, theme, code and art integration. Put a game on mute and it's not worth playing. At a loud location if I can't hear the game, hear the mechs, hear the callouts, hear the music, it's almost boring. There's a reason Williams hyped the sound tech in Indian Jones so hard when it came out.
While everyone dumping on the game's features compared to other games features are perfectly reasonable to do so, this machine, with its license and double LCDs has the potential to lock in all of the above as good as any other game, ever. We're talking about access to the most recognizable sound design library in human history (Steve Ritchie and Ben Burtt, yes please), with characters and mythos second pretty much only to Jesus, Santa Claus and Superman.
For people like me, if the "experience" is dialed in (heh) we're just not going to give a shit if there's not as much going on under the table.

Well said. Additionally, for anyone who's played and loved Aerosmith, there's not a whole lot going on there either. Break down the toys and shots, and it's not exactly a packed playfield. Add in the great music and cool lcd though, and the game can really pull you in.
I'm expecting StarWars to play very similar to ACDC (which also doesn't have much in the way of toys when you compare the two pins).
WHile I think the magnets in Ghostbusters are amazing, this pin is likely fast and furious, full of flow. Very different style than GB and I expect will be better off without them. (Though I also would have expected some kind of "Force" magnet trick)
I think the devil will be in the details. How different and fun are the rules for the various multiballs? Seems cool to me but I'd like to know more.
I also heard it said earlier that you can move the shot multiplier around, and potentially score up to 40x shot value. To me, that sounds like GoT scoring. Not my fav, as the rules for scoring are pretty insane to fully understand, but still looking forward to playing this game.

#2490 6 years ago

Once again, I soldiered through the swamp of sorrow (the last 10 hours of posts on here basically repeating: "barren playfield! Not enough toys, too expensive!!!") -to find two tidbits of gold:
Awesome comments about speed, flow, and play by the only two people who have seen or played this new game.

You guys can choke on a lightsaber.

In for an LE and super excited!!!

#2494 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I think a lot of people agree it will probably be a fun game, but almost everyone agrees the value of what is in the game is not equal to the price they are charging.

I can't argue with that. US exchange rate of approx 35% + 13% tax here. This thing is frighteningly close to double the cost of my ACDC Premium that I bought about 5 years ago.

I have to say though, the new lcd and sound are incredible. Aerosmith feels next level and I'm hoping StarWars does too.
Otherwise, it'll be one expensive door stopper!

#2545 6 years ago
Quoted from Walleyefisher:

Another unimaginative excrement from our friends at Stern. Can't wait to see how they ruin Elvira III

Go blow a bantha.

#2889 6 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

How about one of the games you film be done with the mic on the game instead of the players so that we can hear the music and sound effects.

Especially if its being filmed at Stern HQ. I've been somewhat annoyed with previous reveal videos where someone squawks non-stop, trying to be funny -and all I want to hear and see is the game itself.
Have to add that I do love the effort made to bring us these videos, just that very often there's just too much going on by the players, drowning out the game itself.
Like, Lyman Sheats and Jack playing a couple 2 player games would be perfect!

#2921 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It is concerning that Gary did not want any video shared. What is the conspiracy? Or is it another beta code situation? Has me wondering what's up?

Can I add Outrageous, Egregious, and Proposterous

Are you out of your mind? 1 week ago, Pinside went BALLISTIC over some photos of playfield artwork that weren't HD.
You think that given the attitude of many Pinsiders, that Gary would think it was ok to release a video taken on a phone?
See, if Pinside weren't so toxic, I'll bet Stern would be a little easier-going with stuff like this.

#2930 6 years ago

Awesome that he's wearing a Darth Vader shirt in that pic.
Wouldn't be surprised if his wife took the kids and left months ago, and he's been too busy to notice.

#3023 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

What will be the possible sound clips for a tilt?
- Jabba: Hohohoho
- R2: Scream (when hit by a blaster)
- Chewie: Roar
- C3PO: "Goodness gracious me!"
I'm sure there are 100s

Luke: "I can't shake em!"

#3061 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Consumers can determine the quality and value for the same exact MSRP cost of this title.
I do not believe a game features matrix is required for proper comparison in this case.

Personally, I was considering buying both games. Since I expect that StarWars will play like many new Sterns, and be fast and exciting with great flow (since it's Steve Ritchie) and I love the theme, I preordered one without playing it first.
I went to the local distributors on Tuesday this week to play Dialed In. It looked great, and had wicked flowy ramps much to my liking.
My overall opinion of it is that it will sell like hotcakes, and large numbers of people will love it -which is great for JJP and great for pinball.
Still, I never once felt my heart beating any faster than usual and felt zero emotional connection to it. Would not put it in my house even for half the price of a new Stern pin. (I'm short on room so if it's not top 3, it's not in my home)
So my point is: these games are going to play differently. Just like Walking Dead and the Hobbit play differently. Just like Aerosmith and WOZ play differently. It's ok to like any one of them. It's also HIGHLY likely that you wont love a game just because it cost more to make it. But hey, if that's what's important to you, I guess that's ok too.

Oh: for the record, (and I know it was a prototype so you can't judge) but the playfield on the DI was chipping by the ball drain (just under the apron, behind the flippers) and the flippers felt spongy. For what it's worth, my buddy's Hobbit still catches the odd pinball under the pop-up mechs and holds them for wayyyyy too long. He's also put a lot of time into that thing to get it working as well as it does. And yet, IN MY OPINION it's still nowhere near as good a game as most others, IronMan included. But yes, it cost more to make!

Edit: and actually, since there's 3 version of each, why not compare them directly? The DICE model appears to be at least as overprice as a StarWars LE for the extras that you get. I think that the LE would make the most sense, and that's closest to a Stern Premium. So quite a difference in price.

#3084 6 years ago

Well I for one would like to thank JJP for creating a game that's so similar in playstyle to older B/W games that we can revive the classic "Stern vs B/W" argument.
Well done, and here we go again!

#3127 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Shouldn't it be considering there's not 1 interactive toy on the game?
Also, Dominoes, yes the pizza pin, has more features then Star Wars Pro for the same price. It has metal ramps, a motorized target bank, a magnet and a toy that rotates. That game is being offered from a company that isn't planning to sell thousands of them so there build of materials cost is much higher compared to Stern.
Also, $5400 isn't cheap! At some point people need to ask themselves "Is this game worth $5400 to me"? That questions seems easier to answer for AS Pro compared to Star Wars Pro.

Great points all around! Having read this, I've decided to call my distributor, cancel my LE, and order a Hobbit instead.
Dude, GTF out of here with your crap.
This game is going to be a souped-up ACDC with cool videos (How many are there again, Iceman?), 9 multiballs, and awesome music/call outs. If it's not your thing, no problem. But why try to bring everyone else down? Nothing fun to do at your place on a Saturday (like, say playing Hobbit)?

#3138 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

and there you go again with the insults...I have a Star Wars Premium on order. My only point was to bring up what we are getting at these prices. Sorry I questioned it. Each plastic ramp alone is worth $1k, hand forged in a mountain in the Himalayas.

That's pretty funny.
You simply can't compare pin value based on bill of materials.
TWD cost the same in parts on day 1 as it did after Lyman gave it the code update, when it went from ho-hum-sucks, to F'n-sweet-game!
If only there was a way to put a value on "fun factor". Which of course, would vary by individual taste.

#3309 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Battle games feel so much better to me then say Aerosmith where i dont feel like the game is fighting back.

Not fighting back? You should come over to play MY Aerosmith!

#3366 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm one that prefers quest style code. I don't care about a high score outside of a tournament, so I need a bigger objective. I definitely prefer Keith's games. Woz, Hobbit, tspp and others give me objectives that an average player like myself can always aim for and will probably never fully see everything. Now that said, they are long games, and I like to mix it up with a good ass kicking sometimes from my acdc or Metallica. I'm really hoping SW is the best of both with a quest type code, but not overly long play time. I find myself playing the short acdc Metallica style the most, but prefer the mode based games in the long run.

Kinda sounds to me like you're expecting too much, in my opinion. I hope you're not disappointed.
While I dont have any idea of how code will go, this playfield layout is very similar to ACDC.
I'm hoping that this will be closest to Met/ACDC in terms of speed and flow and doubt that it will be a game anywhere near to TSPP, WoZ, Hobbit, etc.
You sure you're not better off with a Dialed In? Seems to me DI might be a better fit for your tastes.

#3391 6 years ago
Quoted from packards34:

If they didn't have the freedom from Disney, why would you stick to making something average. With the last few releases Stern has been making some nice games, this seems to be a step backwards. With the amount of rumored titles Stern has in the pipeline why didn't they just jump on to another title and that would give time for them to negotiate more with Disney to try and get something better happening? As now as Stern probably predicted instead of people talking about the game and the hype, everyone is focused on how average the art work is which is what everyone first sees. It doesn't really help that their isn't good footage out there showing the machine which allows people to judge the game more based on the gameplay.

Have you played ACDC?
Playfield artwork alone does not make/break a game.

#3431 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Phenomenal, deep, non-linear game without ghosting inserts or cabinet splitting....why wouldn't I buy it?

The same reason most of us play pinball instead of reading encyclopedias.
It's an "excitement" thing.

#3675 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Is that a JAWS logo on Elwin's hat? Let rumor central begin!

Well spotted!

#3690 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I know I'm a little slow, but I just noticed that there's no bottom to the habitrail on the sharp turn in front of the flippers on the LE/premium. That's a good indication of just how fast the balls are going to be whizzing around there if the centrifugal force will be enough to hold it against the rail on the turn. That's pretty frickin' cool...

Also, like the ramps in Whitewater, there has to be an "out" at the lowest point in case balls get stuck.

#3709 6 years ago
Quoted from crussomd:

Anyone have ideas on what the topper might be?

Good call! I liked the one for Walking Dead, even more so for Aerosmith.
Hoping this one is a must-have!

Any thoughts on best topper ideas?

1 week later
#4090 6 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

You keep throwing out that statement with zero to back it up. So because some, including myself may have legitimate issues with stern means we're trolls who wouldn't buy any NIB pin? Get a grip man

What are your "legitimate issues" with Stern? Seeing as you own a LoTR and the rest are other manufacturers...

#4147 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

if people did not give money to JJP, Spooky, Heighway... then none of those games or companies would have existed. Just sayin...
In other words, despite you actually being a reseller of Stern games and obvious benefit for pumping them up, yes... people continually buying sight unseen games that turn out to be often left for dead in code, with MAJOR flaws in quality for the most important parts of the game (playfield and cab) is in fact a large detriment to the hobby as a whole.
Just use the numbers. SkitB stole ~300k from the hobby. If Stern sells 1000 games with major issues then they suck out 5million in funds from the hobby market. They hypotetically can do that 3 plus times a year. Reality is that Stern is currently still the largest player in the market which means they can also have the largest negative impact.
Neither are a good thing and my point was that both are dangerous practices. I would like to see EVERYONE to be a bit more cautious with their funds, but can atleast get behind those that are supporting the new aspects of the hobby rather than just blindly dumping in the rehashs with known QC issues and dead code in many cases.

Do you just make $hit up in an attempt to prove your point? There's not a single manufacturer out there who hasn't had production/QC issues. Fortunately, they all seem to offer replacement parts etc to make things right.
All buyers should be fully aware that when you buy a game, you get the code that's on it, and anything more will require patience. Coding takes far longer than we'd like, but I'm not seeing numerous Stern titles "left for dead" as you have stated.
Geez. You weren't quite so jaded before being rejected by the Stern army...?

#4312 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Horseshit. You're SUPPOSED to do those things...not assemble the friggin' playfield.

Well good news: I expect if you tell your distributor that you would prefer to wait, they'll be more than fine with that.
I'll take mine now, thank you! And cool that they aren't delaying all shipments instead.

#4371 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nothing tough about it that decision. Having unboxed and enjoyed Dialed In already, I can confidently say you will have a RIDICULOUSLY good NIB experience with Dialed In. We were talking about what Stern in recent memory is this physically well-designed and FUN, and came up empty. Nothing compares in the recent Stern world, and Star Wars machines will be all over the place eventually, so they will not be hard to find if you decide you MUST have one later.
Lots of great pics and impressions of people with the machine here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-assembly-line-set-up/page/8#post-3845886
Treat yourself to a Dialed In.

Based on your current collection, I'm going to take your recommendation with a grain of salt.
And let's just ignore the comment generally stating that Stern hasn't created anything recently that's well-designed and fun. (Which include some of the very best games ever made by anyone, in my opinion.)

Honest comment though: glad that you and others are enjoying Dialed In!

#4381 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't update what I have that often because it changes all the time. And since I help an operator, his pins live at my house for a couple weeks while I bulletproof them before they go out. So, in addition to the couple pins that are mine, I have had or currently have in-house every single Stern/JJP pin released since like 2013, except WWE (dodged a bullet) or Walking Dead. What I haven't had personally in-house pre-2013, I've played. Look at my ~75 pin history of machines I've owned and see how YOURS stacks up to that.
So, yeah, besides what passes through, I've owned more pins than most people here. I certainly have PLENTY of perspective, and Dialed In is the real deal. No comparison. If you're into pinball and are turning up your nose because you think it's a cell phone game, you're missing out. Bigly.

My opinion on Dialed In has zero to do with the cell phone. Overall, theme was neutral in my opinion (although selfie mode seemed to appeal to more of a 12 yr old audience, but whatever as it didn't reduce the playability of the game).
What I felt was missing was any feeling of excitement. Same as when I play a Twilight Zone or Hobbit, for example.
If anyone likes those titles, cool -but they don't get my heart racing like Walking Dead or Aerosmith.

So it's awesome that JJP has a decent game out and that people are giving it great reviews so far... But I don't think anyone in here (a Stern StarWars thread) gives a lick. Jumping in here, and toting DI as being better than anything Stern has ever done is pretty douche-baggy, no?

#4396 6 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

No one is knocking down shit. I hope star wars is incredible, I genuinely want one and excited for it. I simply dismissed the notion you brought here that JJP has clearcoat issues off of one guy. Literally within 10 minutes of the guy posting he had a chip, you run to the stern thread with your justice boner to make sure everyone knows that "multiple pins" have an issue. Pathetic showing honestly. This is a Star Wars thread though, so I'm done with it. Carry on with your mission white knight...

In all fairness, we've seen what; 6-8 people post that they've got an DI already? So if even just 1 of those has problems/issues, it really does deflate the whole "Stern quality sucks! JJP is a tank" argument.
Most importantly, I would expect that JJP will fix the issue. My own experience with them was decent. They (like Stern in my experience) took good care in resolving the problems I had on my WoZ.

#4534 6 years ago

Sounds like Jack will be broadcasting "a long time ago, in a time zone far, far away".

#4979 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

All the modes are the same regardless of character chosen. Choosing a character automatically "completes" a handful of specified modes at start (the modes in which the character isn't in apparently).

I was under the impression that depending on which character you selected, each mode might have some variation.
We know that Han Solo doesn't have to complete "Escape from Cloud City", since he was frozen in carbonite, but I think that depending on your character, your mode may differ slightly. I expect many are the same though, especially if all the characters were together for a particular scene.

1 month later
#6530 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

What expectations you have about Stern can be thrown out the window. Just think of it as just having dove in the deep end of the pool with no floaters. And I truly mean this with respect. Best of luck.

Seems as though you have much knowledge on the subject, Flash.
How many new in box pins have you purchased from Stern, and what issues did you encounter?

You must have had a ton of issues given the frequency of your bad-mouthing on here.

#6531 6 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

I did, my distributor got the same answer and since I paid in full back in the middle of July that answer was not acceptable to me. So I called Stern to push for a date as to when they would be shipping to the distributor. I have an Aug 26th party that I have planned and I wanted to make sure the game would be in my home before then. I'm not a patient person when I have expectations not met.

When you put down your deposit, was there a date guaranteed? There wasn't when I paid for mine.
"Aiming for the end of July" was what I was told but no guarantee.
I've recently been told they expect mine to arrive "2nd to 3rd week in August".
I will believe it when I get the delivery call, and am not so upset about things that I'm considering cancelling all future orders.
To me, you're like a kid screaming: "If Santa doesn't bring me everything on my list, tell him not to bother coming!"

#6543 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I've purchased 3 NIB games. I have never had an issue out of box. And the small things that I encountered where easy fixes.

Figured as much.

#6545 6 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

No worries, I learned all the lessons I needed to learn with this gig.. I'm just going to avoid the band wagon in the future with this kind of stuff all together.

Either that or enjoy the ride, anticipating the arrival of your new toy -without setting a deadline for yourself.
These things can be delayed for any of a number of reasonable explanations, and in the end it just gives the coders a little longer to maybe get another update done before you get the game.

1 week later
#6779 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When you raise and lower the playfield, that bump towards the rear is gone.

Yeah, it feels WAY better. Even when you're lowering the playfield, it doesn't feel as though you might get your fingers caught, since it lowers back down much more smoothly.
I don't get the feeling that I'll ever have to slam the playfield down with this one.
Another nice improvement.

#6816 6 years ago
Quoted from TheBigDog:

I thought I's add a little update now that I have had my LE for about a week. First let me say that I didn't know Stern could still make a game this awesome (love my LOTR), the game totally rocks. My son was out of town last week and got to play it with me for the first time all day yesterday, he said it is now his favorite pin we have (I have some good ones). He loves the fact that its an adventure with different strategy's like a lot of video games he plays (he is 16 for the record).
The positives:
The music and the video clips (have .89 code) are awesome. They completely bring you into the star wars world. I love the random clips even during attract mode. Ironically the one time I got my wife to play (she's too busy with tennis), the sound cut out after we each played our first ball. It was a panic moment and i didn't want to kill the game because I had a good score on ball 1. The game felt a lot different without the music, but what game wouldn't. Luckily it came back after restarting it (has anyone else had this happen?).
The artwork is so much better than I was expecting. We had an unboxing party with some other pinball fanatics, and they all agreed. Definite thumbs up here.
Gameplay is fast, and very quick ball times until you get used to a couple shots. Death star shot isn't as tough as what I was hearing people say. The plunger shot that banks off the targets and drains down the left outlane is killing me, even with the post moved in....
The hyper loop completely makes the game. I actually feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have it. I can't make an argument for the LE over the premium, especially since I like the transit for the premium better anyway. And the black armor on the LE is nice, but I could do a better, and more custom powder coating on my own.
Cons:
I would only say the things the game should have come with, especially being an LE, but didn't.
I added a shaker motor, definitely worth it. Also added the non-glare glass and under cabinet lights (blue), both awesome. Waiting for pingraphics to make powerbladz for this game. And I'll wait and see on the R2D2 topper, I usually custom make my own off of a model.
Overall big thumbs up, and if you like star wars . . . a must game!!

Yeah, from what I've seen so far, this is going to be Sterns next monster title.
People are going to have to play it in person though. After seeing the Deadflip video, I very nearly cancelled my preorder. I was nearly angry at the little that I saw that was happening on the playfield.
Fast forward to today, (4 days after getting it), and this game is mind-blowingly fantastic. Such a rush!
Now in saying that, I've always been a Star Wars fan. I don't own any figures, or anything nuts, but I always liked the movies so the callouts and missions are all very familiar.
The shots are mixed. Some are pretty easy. Some are pretty tough. It's a great blend.
Can't wait to see what the next code updates offer!

I truly expect MOST people who had previously chimed in on Pinside, calling Stern out for going cheap, and selling a game with a spare playfield are going to be eating crow.

#6824 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm glad people are enjoying their games, but enough with the "anyone who said otherwise will surely regret it!" takes. Have fun, do you, let other people have their opinions ffs.

My comment was based on the MASSIVE amount of negativity that people have been spewing based on pics and videos only.
Some have played the Pro and didnt like it. That's cool. I'm not arguing that -but the sheer number of pages of commentary about Stern reducing the b.o.m. and phoning this one in, are absolutely insane. WAY too many voices and opinions shouted out prior to anyone having first hand experience playing the game.

But hey; if you prefer that everyone make blind commentary based on little information and want to read that shit, be my guest.

#6825 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well Copernicus that won't make a diff'rence to the 88% of people canceling because of all the math.

I'm telling ya: I'll bet the LEs are sold out in the very near future.
I was a little put off on the ruleset initially for the "math" reason too, but I expect it will just add to the strategy in the future, once I understand the multipliers etc. In the meantime, I just park the multiplier shots on the Deathstar, and focus on the modes.

#6832 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The sound issues for me at not bad enough to revert back to .87. I am sure they will be fixed soon. Dwight doesn't mess around.

Same here. Still, A couple times today I heard a sound bite that had to be playing backwards or something.
Like Yoda devil-speak.

#6855 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I am also tempted to post more about the disappointment as I see so many people accepting what is happening. Less pinball for more money.

My StarWars has one heck of a lot more to it than most other games I've had in my house.
And I expect that you would say that my Aerosmith is also "empty" which is just plain wrong.

Dude, pinball machines are either fun, or they're not. I'm not saying that Hobbit is a dud, but I don't like playing it -and it has LOTS on it.

If you feel the need to tell the world how you're disappointed that Stern cheaped-out and destroyed your dream theme, nobody can stop you -but those of us in the room at the moment are too busy sharing the joys of StarWars pin ownership to pay you much attention.

#6872 6 years ago
Quoted from twisty4678:

Think this got buried. Any suggestions?

So if you make the Deathstar shot, it circles around the inner loop and goes straight down the middle?

I'm initially thinking you need to level the pin because mine doesn't do that with any degree of regularity.
I drain more often from missing a ramp shot, hitting a stand-up, and losing it that way.

#6882 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just annoyed with the chorus of "people will sure feel dumb when they realize how great this is!" like my objections aren't based in something rational.

Aurich:
when I made that comment, I wasn't quoting you. I didn't reference you. I wasn't thinking of you. I didn't even consider or know your opinion of Star Wars.
My comment was aimed at the hordes of individuals (see pages 1-110+ for reference) who were so quick to jump on the Stern-bashing wagon. For you to read my comment and assume you were in any way involved is ridiculous.
The wave of anti-Stern sentiment did cause some to cancel their pre-orders and I still (especially now after having played the game more and more) feel that many will come back to love it after they give it a chance.
It will work out positively for some though, like my friend, who grabbed an LE earlier today after having played the game at my place.
I expect it was only available because someone else cancelled after falling victim to the "Pinside effect".

I was reluctant to follow through with my pre-purchase after hearing so much negativity but to be honest, it's been a great learning opportunity in that moving forward, I'll easily remember not to give weight to any of the other opinions on Pinside.

#6896 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Yeah it's weird because there's actually 4 regular Hoth modes and only 3 on all the other "planet" modes.

What are saying here? I see three inserts for regular modes on Hoth, same as all other planets, and then the hotdog insert.
How is this different?

#6899 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

There a 4 modes all together for Hoth split between the 4 characters. Luke has 1 no other character can play. Cloud city escape, repair the hyperdrive, tie fighter escape, and duel on cloud city. 13 regular modes in the game, 3 modes per planet (Tatooine, deathstar, Endor) 4 modes for Hoth.

Ah, got it!
So Hoth I mode is completely different for various characters, whereas most other modes are auto completed, if a character wasn't present for that scene in the movie.
I'll have to check that out tonight. Thanks for sharing!

#6907 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

just add some more Boba Fett style modes and that would be all I need, Jabba, Darth, Escape the Trash Compactor, Save Han from the toothy pit (no idea whats thats called, This is no cave etc. The modes are fine for the 4 planet multi's.

You mean the Sarlac pit?
Geez man. Nerd up!!!

#6915 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Is it the most complexe rules game?
Upvote for yes, downvote for no.
Thanks

It really isn't. There are a few things happening at all times (destroying tie fighters for example), but mostly it's all about various simple rules/goals in each of the various modes.
What's beautiful is that once you get to know the important shots for each mode, you can then challenge yourself to move the multipliers around the playfield, so that you score big, completing those shots.
There are some other great things to accomplish as well, like hyper space hurry-ups, escape from Boba Fett, the force targets, etc -with more on the way (lightsaber duel and midnight madness multiball).

#6920 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's the talk yes but it hasn't actually been seen I don't think maybe just a glimpse in a video. Anyway, the talk is shoots out a hologram but just talk so far as I know

It does NOT shoot out a hologram, or project anything.

#6928 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

R U sure about that? its in the adj's R2D2 projector.

I believe what you're referring to is "R2D2 Attract Mode: On/Off"

Is that right?

#6937 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I don't think anyone actually thought a hologram was shooting out.
Well with this bunch maybe they did

I'll admit... I really WANTED there to be a little princess Leia hologram, crying out to Obi-Wan!!!

#6948 6 years ago
Quoted from sethington:

Just got a Pro in yesterday. Loving the game. Seeing a lot of SDTM when shooting the Death Star inner loop from the right flipper though. Doesn't seem right to be punished for a good shot. Flaw out of the factory maybe? Anyone figured out a good fix for this? Tried loosening a few of the screws and flexing the loop a bit but no luck.

How certain are you that the game is well leveled side to side?

#6956 6 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

I got my LE Wednesday....and it was damaged in shipping *suck*. Now it'll probably be 3 to 4 weeks to get it back

WTF? Did someone harpoon that thing?

#6972 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

forget about stern toppers they are just crap. another money grab by them,
they cant even make a decent topper.

well they are a "for profit" organization, so yeah... It's a money grab! (Duh!)
While I'm not much of a topper guy, I think Stern is doing a decent job on toppers.
I hated the one for Ghostbusters, but I liked the TWD zombie tank (wish it was bigger though. Like as wide as the top of the pin), and REALLY like what they did with Aerosmith, though not enough to buy 1 (not yet, anyway).
So I'm hopeful for StarWars, but I don't have money saved for it yet, if you know what I'm sayin.

#7022 6 years ago

From day 1, I've had mode stacking turned off. I wanted to understand each mode before tackling two of them at once.
Last night I tried stacking modes. Very different experience.
I chose Han Solo, and took "light Tatooine mission", then made the left ramp three times to qualify the final Endor mission.
After completing those two modes, I started the stacked multiball modes for each. During those modes, I triggered tie fighter multiball. Of course, I was able to take down the FORCE target bank a few times, and was able to add a ball and extend the multiballs at least twice.
Much more chaotic. Way more adrenaline. Lots going on.
But I think I prefer the non-stacking modes as it definitely pulls you in to the theme better.

Thoughts?

#7067 6 years ago
Quoted from sprite:

What angle are you guys running your premium/le at? I'm getting a lot of rejected death star shots, seems you need to hit it pretty much perfectly to have a chance of making it up the ramp.

Quoted from Chambahz:

REGARDING THE DEATHSTAR SHOT ON THE LE/PREMIUM MODELS:
first of all, yes, you can backhand it -but it's REALLY tough. Probably more lucky than anything else.
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY..
If your DeathStar shot (the drop ramp) is rejecting, here's what I did to fix it.
On the left side of your Death Star, and just underneath, there's a nut, holding a wire loop that secures the wire ramp.
Lift the playfield onto the rubber stoppers, and then lift the back of the playfield high enough that you can access that Death Star nut.
(Two people would be ideal as it's tough to hold the playfield up in one hand, adjust the wire loop, and tighten the nut with a nut driver all at once)
But you do just that. Because essentially the ball was launching up the fork ramp, and hitting the underside of the wire ramp. It slows down, and rejects.
Now the first time that I adjusted the height of the wire ramp, I raised it all the way. The fork ramp shot was fine, but the ball couldnt make it through the Deathstar when it went through the HyperSpace ramp/accelerator.
So I loostened off the nut a little, and lowered the wire loop, and tightened the nut again. Presto!
WOW -WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!
For the first time, I was able to start the HyperSpace hurry-up, lock a ball in the accelerator, and repeat another 3 times.
Four balls shooting around, and I'm trying to get a fifth one in there...
Farkin epic pinball-ness, if I ever saw it!!!
If any of you are considering whether the LE is worth the extra cash, well -it's probably not. BUT THE PREMIUM DEFINITELY IS!!!!
(And I love my LE)
STEVE RITCHIE IS THE KING!

#7071 6 years ago
Quoted from sprite:

Thanks. Do you have a picture of approximately where you have it set now? I'm able to get the ball in there about 50% of the time on nice clean shots, but a lot of times it just goes up there and falls back down without registering the shot. Seems like mine would just need a minor adjustment, but not sure if I need to move it up or down.

Put it all the way up, then drop it just a little, and test the hyperspace loop to make sure the ball can completely go around without getting stuck in the death star. You want to leave it as high as possible, providing the most clearance available for the ramp fork, without blocking the death star loop.

#7078 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

It's really only the hyper loop shot that has me interested. Everything else is of no interest. The pro, and I'm only going on game play video, just seems to be missing that one magic shot even though there isn't an added shot as such just the elevated ramp to hyper loop. But really 2k for a ramp hmmmm that's a good head start to the next purchase.

If you're going to buy Star Wars, at least play an LE/Premium before deciding.
To me, it's the hyperspace loop that makes the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.