8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1315 6 years ago

I hope the code lets me play as a stormtrooper. That way when I miss all the shots I can say that's what I was supposed to do.

#1388 6 years ago

Let me know if music runs out before getting to the end.

Seems like sometimes it's getting cut off. Here's the intro script:

Pinball quality has vanished. In its absence, many new companies have risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Stern, the last real pinball manufacturer (yes that does read funny), has been usurped from their throne. With the support of the pinball community, pinside leads a brave RESISTANCE. They are desparate to find a new pinball company and gain their help in restoring quality, loaded features & toys (for the money), deep code, and sheer delight to the galaxy of pinball players.

It's a period of civil war. Striking from hidden bases, JJP and Spooky have won their first victories against the Stern Galactic Empire. During the battle, SkitB and Zidware dropped a grenade down their pants and imploded, spewing gental debree across the galaxy still being cleaned up, taking many pinsiders with them. It became a dark time for the Rebellion. Although a few victories could be claimed, Stern drove the Rebellion back producing games that left people scratching their heads in WWE and GOT. Quality issues and incomplete code in Kiss, Ghostbusters, and Batman 66 Super Dee Duper LE. But the pinball galaxy contnues to buy.

The evil (well not evil, but I'm sticking to the theme) Lord Stern, obessed with pushing back the Rebellion, launches Aerosmith pinball with LED screens and original art! Unlike Batman 66, this one actually is near complete and fun! Little does PInside know (again, sticking with theme) the Stern GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly begun construction on a new title with LED, much more anticipated theme than Aerosmith or Batman. When completed, the ultimate weapon will spell certain doom for the small band of rebels struggling to restore pinball freedom to the galaxy.

Pinside has sent their most daring pilot on a secret mission across the internet, where clues were discovered (or released by someone other than Stern) on this new title design. The Empire is planning to release Star Wars pinball.

Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Repulblic of Pinside. The aniticpated pricing, sparce layout and lack of toys & features is in dispute. Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of silence by Stern, the greedy Empire has announced blow out sales of past titles - at regular prices.

While the congress of Pinside endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, and who has bigger genitalia to stay in on an SW LE, JJP is dispatching Dialed In and Spooky prepares for Alice Cooper & Total Annihilation to settle the conflict.....

#1492 6 years ago

I've met Steve R and like him, but think his comment is way off base. Grouping everyone on Pinside

I will beat this drum time and time again until someone at Stern listens. Your marketing is messed up. Instead of creating excitement, controlling the messaging, and developing a relationship with your customers you withhold information, ignore problems, and then publicly complain about your end customers? Your customers are not just distributors.

Your go-to-market communications program is broken. Sorry it just is. Star Wars, probably the most anticipated title in a very long time, one of the best designers and the unveiling is leaked? All the excited adult kids who've been saving their dollars react negatively - because no one knows anything else about the game other than a few low res pics!! As soon as it leaked, get the info out there ASAP! Take control of the message, take that attention and turn it positive with exciting info on design elements not seen, code, video modes, etc! versus letting your fanbase guess who now are fearing the worse.

Instead of people searching the internet with Google for Stern Star Wars pinball and seeing the first search results be negative responses on a forum, let them see the excitement and grow the demand. There are at least a dozen other things you can be doing to manage excitement instead of disappointment.

George - please create a marketing advisory board position - I'll volunteer and I'm local. There are so many more positive ways to drive your marketing messaging. Such a shame to see release after release create animosity between Stern and the community instead of sheer excitement.

#1515 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Well if he did vent, it's not well sourced, nobody knows what he vented.

Page 29 of this thread, post 1421

#1519 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Well said.
He could phrase it, "Don't let the leaked low res pics fool you. Wait til you see it in person and see the gameplay. I think you're going to love it. I mean, it's Star Wars!"

And well said. I remember meeting Steve R at a Pinball Expo while he was unemployed after being let go from Stern. He was selling old memorabilia and pinball related items. Sadly, word on the street he was struggling financially. If history serves me right, the community (not just pinside) chirped and chirped "how can the best designer be sitting on the sidelines?", "give this man a job already". Fast forward x years, the community is a disease.

Remember the good and the bad times. I wish Steve nothing but the best.

#1540 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It was not an anomaly exclusive as their "30th anniversary", as it most like occur again.

So true.

A Star Wars SLE would make some people on here pour honey all over their bodies, roll in a pile of feathers, and run around like Ewoks down Michigan Ave for a chance to BUY one. Passionate collectors is a scary thing. Hard to blame Stern for capitalizing with all the Ewoks in this hobby.

To each their own though. As long as people are happy, it's all good.

#1569 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

after Borg had quit pushing for it and basically abandoned the game and moved on

Just to be fair, back in the day I was at Stern factory picking up my Avengers Hulk LE. Gary was wonderful in impromptu grabbing Gomez to come over and say hello, thank you and sign anything if I wanted. Gomez went a step further and brought me over into the factory and personally walked me through the game and how he designed it. (Very cool experience by the way).

Borg was walking by and stopped by to chat. I owned an XMen, complimented on the design but was candid in sharing my disappointment and hope for updated code. One on one he said he agreed, was pushing internally for updates, and was championing the effort - sincerity was evident. If he gave up, it's because he was told to move on after pushing for so long.

I've much respect for Borg and Ritchie. But, I'd like to share credit with Borg for Xmen coming along.

#1612 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

If not for the low resolution photos and all of these mainly negative reactions, Stern would not have nearly the exposure or hype. Many say their PR department is stupid but I challenge that to say genius.

Yes, PT Barnum once said "There's no such thing as bad publicity". In modern times with social media, you need to turn the negative into a positive quickly. Re-read post #1492. Respectfully, disagree.

#1738 6 years ago

I think many people might have missed your post, but you made me laugh. Now, I can't get Bill Murray out of my head "Star Wars...beautiful Star Wars...."

star wars (resized).jpgstar wars (resized).jpg

#1777 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Problem is, unless the official Stern video assets are awesome (usually there's none), we're stuck with cell phone camera footage from a show once again as our first look at a new game.

Hope Stern is reading this thread. Just like the Brady Bunch episode "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia"......"Marketing, Marketing, Marketing"

#3168 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Does Stern have a marketing department???

Marketing advisory board - offering to help.

#3195 6 years ago
Quoted from Jargus:

It's all about what you value. Fun, for me, is getting lost in the game, being disappointed when the last ball drains, and itching to push start again even with the wife yelling we should have left 15 minutes ago. It's not about the toys, but the sights and sounds and gameplay. I get that from a lot of the 90's classics, and I get that with some of the newer Sterns.

This is a great paragraph, and sums up my feelings as well. However, I do value the interactive toys.

#3241 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

SR was very weak on discussing the pin and how it plays.
Start spilling your guts and selling it versus waiting for stupid questions.

Again, no offense to SR. Marketing/PR continues to be a Stern weakness. So many small things they can do - that don't cost practically anything.

Steve should be up there prepped by marketing department (talking points):

1. Top questions community is asking about - here's the quick answers
2. Top features and why I designed them
3. Some tickler of things we're revealing here for the first time

Generate excitement at every speaking opportunity - promoting the features, rules, functions of your new game. It's a free commercial.

Again, volunteering Stern. I just won an industry award this past week in Detroit. Happy to help you guys - you know pinball, some other people know marketing. Take the help.

#3293 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Worst "constructive criticism" ever.

I wonder how he really feels?

#3353 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but if you're gonna do it with Stern you're probably pretty safe with Ritchie + Dwight.

Lyman and Ritchie/Borg is the only safe bet. Dwight is ramping up nicely, but Lyman is a sure thing.

#3382 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Batman Dark Knight says there's no such thing as a sure thing.

That was Gomez design. BDK last code actually improved the game a lot, but not enough to keep it in my collection (And I'm a big comic fan)

Quoted from Aurich:

Safest bet is don't order until you've played it, and assume what you played is what you'll get. Anything after that is a nice bonus.

Totally agree! No more getting caught up in the hype tornado. Wait, play and then buy to enjoy. Need to earn my money now with complete code.

#3461 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GOT's rules are math/chess. Your brain loves that. Mine doesn't. Also, I'm playing on location...I don't think it's as easy to learn GOT on location vs. playing at home. Due to the hideous art package, horrible DMD video clips, and lack of any interesting mechanical features, I will never buy GOT for home.

I'm a huge fan of the show and have to agree with Rarehero here.

I like the concept of choosing, but can't figure out the rules. If you're going to code that deep and complicated, produce a youtube video walking players through it at least. Youtube QR code to it on the instruction sheet or something.

#3698 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Kaneda allready told last week he wanted to post a podcast with Sterns PR Jared this (last) monday.
They recorded it but Stern wanted to listen (maybe edit?) and authorize it before it get's uploaded.

As smassa already said, Stern doesn't need to market anything.

#3699 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's so funny how this is life or death to people...and then before you know it there's hours of video and the games are popping up everywhere. And then it's on to the next title. Over and over and over again.

Yeah it's like groundhog day. I wonder if the vicious cycle could be broken with some say GTM planning and a dash of marketing.

#3713 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yeah you're right they are doing it all wrong. Star Wars is sure to flop now and will probably get crushed in sales by DI.

Never said it would be a flop, hope it's not, and I'm sure title alone it will be a wild success! Love me my pinball.

But yeah, it's obvious to any marketing or product executive they're doing marketing wrong. Just think of the success outside the pinball community if done right. Good will. Brand loyalty, etc. Having a relationship with customers is always good for business - especially dare I say - if bad times were ever to return OR a significant competitor emerges.

The best time to improve is when you're ahead. So no one ever catches up.

1 month later
#5808 6 years ago

You had me until this.

#5852 6 years ago
Quoted from timballs:

Put together a tutorial of the current code release v0.85 in time for Pinburgh. Goes up to and beyond the "end" of the game in current code, so if you're looking to see how complete the game is so far you'll see the whole thing here.

Cool mod the floating x-wing pilot head. (Your post has a preview of the video and your head looks to be floating)

starwarsfighter (resized).jpgstarwarsfighter (resized).jpg

#5927 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If you're afraid to take your hands off the buttons for a few seconds, let's face it, you need A LOT more practice

I'm going to report you to the mods for a personal attack - while true - still.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Backbox
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=badbilly27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.