8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 6 years ago

I have a ton of sympathy for how hard it can be to work with art on licensed titles now, I can't criticize that stuff anymore. It's disappointing, but that's part and parcel with the reality of working with these big studios these days. It's a miracle Ghost Busters had the freedom it did.

But overall it basically looks like what anyone would expect a Stern Star Wars game to look like if you just keep your expectations in line with what they always do. Art is what it is, basic fan layout, couple plastic toys, same old three models.

I'm sure it will be fun and smooth, and with good rules could be a good game. But speaking as a giant Star Wars nerd there's nothing here to excite me.

Just see where it goes from here, these days you're an idiot to get Stern games early, so no rush. If I play one and it's rad then great.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that crown was taken away from him a few years ago.

By who?

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Dave Sanders!

lol GTFO. Dave is a great guy, and I think has a bright future in pinball if he's allowed to just release games. Taking Ritchie's King of Flow Crown? Maybe in a couple decades or something we can talk about it, but not right now.

He's released one and a half games, the first of which no one bought, and the second one is half because it's only half out, and he only half designed it. Little early to say he's taken shit from anyone.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Ahem. Shouldn't that be 'any manufacturers games early' ?

Yeah, probably. But Stern gets the boring launch code and cross your fingers for updates crown, most everyone else has other issues. There's really no reason to buy a Stern early unless you're an op or you just have to have the LE and don't care how it actually plays.

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Asked for hi-res pics. They will be released 6/6.

lol, so they're just going to let everyone look at assy pics for a week, forming opinions and settling into them before letting anyone see it decently? Okay.

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

But they really went to town with the colored inserts

I heard full RGB with white inserts (I assume Prem/LE only) so the inserts are likely just photoshopped colors. If you look at Star Trek and GoT that seems to be the new Ritchie thing, so makes sense.

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Who would have said that about ST?

Uh, everyone? That's exactly what the reveal reaction was like, right here on Pinside.

#454 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

And how is "AT-ST" pronounced?

Chicken Walker.

#575 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

As a Star Wars fan, I would have preferred to go 'all in' on the Force.

The more I think about this the more I wonder why the original trilogy?

I'm a Star Wars geek. Have hundreds of toys, I don't collect just anything though, just things the emotionally resonate with me.

And the thing is, we've seen all this before. It's the 40th anniversary. Any of the art could have been on a lunchbox. It's the 3rd or 4th time the original films have been made into a pin (depending on how you count).

It's like making a new Playboy pin. Why would you do that? It's been done to death.

Ritchie likes action. Do Rogue One. Do something new. Data East, Sega, Stern, it's all the same company. Going back to the same well.

I want to play it. But I wish it looked like it was done by super fans of the films.

Maybe the animation package will help. Seems dumb to make people wait a week to bitch about things before officially releasing stuff. Maybe a video would shut us all up.

#578 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

The game looks fun to me. I suspect most all of these big licences are gonna be stuck with somewhat bland art.

I'd be stoked to find one in the wild. Ops should buy these up. Public won't care about the art.

#581 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

The whole sudden change of their Facebook banner and link to the video was done after the video went online, so you would have to assume they heard about it and quickly panicked to update their Facebook page and link themselves to the video, it was certainly a leak, but your right it happens time and time again with Stern and really it shouldn't as there are people in paid jobs who are supposed to be organising and be in control of this stuff

They obviously have photos, and they supplied them to the video. It's weird that they aren't just posting photos now.

On the other hand, Dialed In was announced and made playable last October, and they just now released the trailer for it.

People want shit now. And I think it's dumb to not control the narrative. But it won't matter. People here will still eat up video in a week.

#592 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Because the new characters suck.

Agree to disagree, I enjoyed Rogue One, and it would make a slick looking action pin, for Fast Ritchie.

Good plot for rules. Lots of action scenes for the LCD clips.

#599 6 years ago

Tons of bitching about that. And they're not wrong either, it's too expensive for a reissue of an old game.

Whatever I bought it anyways, I'm a Street Fighter fanboi.

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Tell that to this guy...

You haven't posted a single character from Rogue One, what the heck are you doing? Who asked for a prequel pin?

Have you even seen the movie?

#845 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So Yeti put the art experts here in place.

You don't need to be an 'art expert' to see those are drawings, and not movie stills or PR headshots, that's obvious. There's a massive library of Star Wars drawings and paintings, whether or not these came from that or were original for the pin I couldn't say. But even the most casual fan can see they're not film images.

When people wish for hand drawn art, what they mean is what Yeti did for Ghostbusters. What Donny did for Metallica and Aerosmith. An artist sat down, and drew the whole playfield, as a cohesive and complete vision. Stern is obviously capable since I just listed three modern games, and I'm sure in this case they didn't have that option. It happens. If they could have I'd think they would have.

It doesn't automatically mean gold! The Rob Zombie response wasn't that great, and that was a freaking oil painting. Data East Star Wars is hand drawn, people are dogging it in this very thread. It's just a style, good or bad isn't baked into it.

Photoshopped art doesn't have to be actual photos, it's just a reference to the collage style that you get when the license strangles your options. I think you can be disappointed that reality works that way, without actually being mad at Stern, or saying Ritchie always has shit art, or anything like that.

It's just a pining for the 'good old days' of pinball, when the art packages felt more soulful, and a little less commercial. The tradeoff is we get modern rules, modern screens, modern RGB lights, pinball hasn't withered, it's just that some of the old parts are worth being nostalgic over.

/art expert out

#850 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Cartoonish hand drawn art of actors has been done before, e.g. IJ Williams. Lots of people complained about that, but I definitely liked it.

I mean, again, it's not good or bad just based on the medium. Jurassic Park has had drawn art. People mock it all the time, laugh at the fingers, etc.

What's more important is style and vision. People got excited over Ghostbusters because Jeremy has style for days. He understands composition and color, he's got great line work, and when you put it all together you can see something he's done and it doesn't feel generic, it looks like a Zombie Yeti piece.

Ghostbusters took chances. Magnetic slings, interesting newton ball arrangements, a ramp that plunges through he playfield. It has an art package by someone who was clearly passionate about the theme, 3D plastic areas, it felt like the details were sweated out just looking at it sitting there, turned off.

The game isn't for me for various reasons, but so what? I give Stern tons of props for it. It's proof positive they're a company that can execute a vision with soul still in my opinion.

Star Wars might be super fun, when the sounds get going and the lights are flashing and the LCD screens are playing stuff it might be awesome. Anyone dogging that is an idiot, we haven't seen anything.

But just looking at it, all we can do, as a Star Wars super fan I just wish it felt like it had the same soul and passion that Ghostbusters did. It's not just the collaged playfield art, it happens, I know that better than anyone, it's just that it doesn't look like it was made by people who feel the same way about the license as I do.

Hey, life isn't catered to me, I'll get over it. But I don't think it's unfair or whiny or Stern hating to express those kinds of feelings when the license is important to you. Why else are we here if not to talk about how pinball has our passions?

#897 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I have hope
For some reason all the cabinet and playfield photos turn me off
But looking at this photo which somewhat shows what the playfield looks like when given depth.....this is effin badass
https://images.pinside.com/f/cb/fcb2b092ea13c139c692edb438f1a7a8fa6222ef/resized/large/fcb2b092ea13c139c692edb438f1a7a8fa6222ef.jpg

Hard to see clearly, but that photo seems to back up the earlier whitewood comment about not having RGB inserts after all, the LE inserts look like normal colored ones there, anyone else agree?

#977 6 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Keep in mind the models shown are renderings, art combinations of the 3 models may be different on the production games.

Some pretty convincing renderings for Steve and Dwight to be able to stand next to them!

#994 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I just hope they resisted the urge to add a video game mode to this game.

It's like the old saying goes, "Dwight on code? Video mode!"

#1204 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

(Aka channeling my pre-Alien inner Aurich!)

An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

#1269 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You guys are always trying to get more people in the hobby, more people interested in Pinball.

I tell people it's a stupid hobby. The games are heavy, take up a lot of room, they're expensive, they break and require maintenance, and that's not even touching on all the nonsense in the world of *new* pinball. Only idiots think this is a good hobby to be in.

#1338 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK;DeathStar locks the balls and cracks open for multyball!! At PAGG this year we saw,"aerosmith" chest of balls flows over for multyball! "Houdini"catapult to chest for multyball!Seems like all these designers,sat around,shot the shit,and put the same idea down in 3 pins! How unique!!Havent seen "Alien" yet,but you know what i'm thinking!

The big news for Alien is the pop bumper eggs split open and spew out balls. It's like Apollo 13, just balls everywhere like a John Waters teabagging orgy. Keep it a secret though!

#1384 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I agree though that I can see a lot of custom translites appearing and maybe custom art packages - I wouldn't be surprised if we see a playflied protect complete with art work like the old overlays used for restores.

I highly doubt anyone feels like doing a bunch of art work to get slapped with a cease and desist. Between Stern and Disney? No thanks.

#1391 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Well there are plenty of people already doing it, I wont mention names as some of those guys are bringing products to the hobby that a lot of people are in need of.

I sugest they don't advertise it on Pinside, they will get contacted by Stern, I can promise you that.

#1431 6 years ago

Personally I'm more sick of the people who can't stomach reading opinions they don't agree with.

It's okay to care about the way something looks more than the way it plays. It's okay to only care about how it plays and not give a shit what it looks like. Neither is wrong.

If you buy pins to look at them and hardly play them, good for you. Someone will probably get a really nice shape pin to play some day when you get bored, I sure don't care. Your dollars are funding the hobby still.

If you think spending $8k on a pin is stupid af and would rather play the shit out of some worn-to-the-wood solid states I salute you. That game is probably super fun, why it got worn down to bare wood, people couldn't stop playing it.

If you're a giant Star Wars fan and one look at this disappoints you then I feel you. The things we love the most are sometimes the most easy to be critical about. You don't have to wait for a video or new photos to have an opinion. You're also allowed to change it when those come to light. Just don't be a bitch about it, admit you're changing your mind.

If Steve Ritchie wants to be a cranky old man and shit on his customers that's his right. I don't have to respect him for it.

This is a discussion forum. If you can't handle things being discussed then learn to knit or something.

#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

But you don't buy new Sterns. You've been disappointed with the build quality, citing "40-50%" of the ones that you know of, have a MAJOR issue of one kind or another.
Isn't that what you said recently? You mostly just sell B/W games, right?
So I'm going to say that he's 100% correct. And I do buy new Stern pins.

Oh, this is my other pet peeve, people who think they get to dictate other opinions based on what they buy. Leave with that nonsense.

Your wallet doesn't mean crap. I buy Sterns, doesn't make my opinion any more valid that anyone else's.

I'm gonna say that Ritchie is 100% cranky. And I buy his games.

#1439 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Bitching about people bitching is "discussion" and belongs here just as much as anything else. Sorry dude you are way off here.

Sure, no one is trying to shut you up. I'm just expressing my opinion. By all means, bitch away.

#1442 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Pinside is like society in general, there are people from all over the world on here with all kinds of different opinions who participate in many different ways. The negative opinions get the most attention but there are opposing views in every thread and this one is no exception. I'd like to see less generalization about the members on this site. Not picking on Steve here, as many people do this, and it must be frustrating to have your work critiqued so harshly, but if people are unhappy with the negative/unconstructive/impolite criticism on here, maybe they could say "the negative opinions on Pinside are like a disease" instead of trashing the whole site. After all, this is a wonderful site which some people have worked very hard on and we all benefit from it.

Here's the difference, to me.

You can have an opinion without being a dick. You can be disappointed in an art package without saying "looks like someone took a shit on the playfield".

You can be negative and still respectful. World of difference between "I don't really care for this, it's not what I was hoping for" and "Greg Freres is a hack, did he do this in one day on crack?"

Like with Alien, I get that for some people the art wasn't what they wanted. I feel them, if I had other avenues to explore I would have taken them. If it's not for you or you're disappointed I get it. But some people made it really personal, and attacked me and said shitty things about me. I've got thick skin, but man, it wears on you.

I said similar things in the Total Nuclear Annihilation thread. If Scott's vision isn't for you, fine, but man, he's a member of the community, have a little respect.

Ritchie is a pinball god. I think he deserves some ribbing for bitching about all of Pinside, full of people who buy his games, that's a little rich, but it doesn't change his resume and game catalog, and he's earned plenty of slack too. So he was cranky, whatever.

#1451 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

It's forum, it's for discussion, not circle jerks. We can't say anything negative, without getting slapped. GoT was savaged because the art sucked man. This game is not that much better. News Flash: GB has issues, PF ghosting and chipping is a real thing. Incomplete code is a real concern. Peeling decals, dimpling, cash grabs..etc. Sorry but all legitimate topics of discussion in a pinball forum.
OBEY...CONSUME...SEND MONEY NOW!

Yup. And mea culpa, I was kind of a harsh dick to you about having an opinion in the TNA thread, so everyone could use a dose of chilling out, and I'm certainly no exception.

#1555 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

What I find so funny lately is Stern employees just keep lying about the importance of Pinside.

Quoted from iceman44:

They might claim they don't read or pay attention BUT we know for a fact that's not true AND they would have to be total idiots to ignore a large chunk of their buyers.

Oh, they all read it. It's just a fact. Back in the day when I still talked with people at Stern I would hear about it all the time. They see the complaints, the suggestions, the insults.

You should just post assuming the person you're talking about is seeing it. One more reason to not be a dick, why intentionally try and hurt someone's feelings? Be honest, but think about how you'd say it to their face, or in an email.

#1565 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

The whole point of the internet is you can be a gigantic dickbag with almost no consequences, stop trying to squash my fun!!

Penny-Arcade-Internet-Dickwad-Theory-700x500 (resized).jpgPenny-Arcade-Internet-Dickwad-Theory-700x500 (resized).jpg

#1584 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

The endless outrage gets old. So what if its not what you like, nobody rails about the redesign of the Camry. They just don't buy it.

You've never read car forums.

#1697 6 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

I noticed he down votes all of Aurich's posts also.

I've PMd him twice to man up with whatever his issues are. He's apparently too scared to do anything but randomly downvote even the most innocuous posts. Maybe he's frightened of my tattoo avatar.

Quoted from konghusker:

Why does everyone keep saying it's Photoshop or clip art? It clearly looks to be a photo realistic drawn artwork.

It's all three. Photoshop is just a tool. I'm sure Zombie Yeti used it tons for Ghostbusters, though if I recall correctly he also likes to do line drawing in Manga Studio. You can draw, you can cut and paste, you can do everything in between. Tools don't dictate the style or results, any more than a pen controls what your drawing looks like, that's up to the hand and mind right?

Clip art can be hand drawn. In fact when I think clip art first thing I think of is line drawings.

What Star Wars looks like to me, and obviously I'm only speculating, is that Stern had access to a library of Star Wars images, hand drawn images and whatever else, (remember, film images generally are pretty low rez for print use, actually taking a movie clip for your art is going to be pretty rare, or used for smaller stuff). They brought those images into Photoshop and collaged together a layout.

Like the end result or not that how I imagine it was actually assembled. So Photoshop, clip art, hand drawn, you can be all of those.

#1698 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

SR wrote a very incisive "mission statement" about Stern which he posted over on rgp back a few years ago around 2008/9? when Stern was at risk of becoming insolvent and he was made redundant.

That post was epic. Steve Ritchie truly speaking his mind, and not a throw away Facebook comment about a forum, is a sight to see.

#1702 6 years ago

Way back on an earlier page someone said Stern told them PR release of better images etc would be on the 6th, so assuming that's true won't be anything until tomorrow.

#1968 6 years ago

Whoever put that canned rock track on a Star Wars video should be fired. That was just awful. Maybe the sound package is still too raw to show? I really wanted to hear the sounds.

Definitely nice to see in action, and it looks better in high rez, no question. The Pro translite looked like a mess in low rez, in high rez it was a lot better for instance. I want to play one. I just don't have that "wow I want that" feeling still. Maybe hands on time would change my mind, I really want it to be good. I seriously don't care that it's competing with Alien, the Star Wars fan in me hopes it's great.

If I may though, that video mode looks really dumb. Why does Dwight insist on putting video modes in his games? I'm not a fan. I want to play pinball, not bang a button, or pick bacon or star, or do bad pixel fights. Just leave the video modes out!

#2111 6 years ago

I loved the armor on my Star Trek Premium, but I guess they didn't want to put cool armor on this Prem because it would make the LE look even worse? Just not seeing the value on the LE on this one.

Or, more likely, they're going to announce some armor upgrade kit, get your dollars flowing. Where's the $500 topper?

#2146 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

But instead they saved themselves $3,000 - $5,000 to hire someone to do a 'filter' job on some photos instead. (I'm a professional Illustrator, I could go into more detail on why I know this artwork is phoned in, but I'd bore everyone.)

Uh, you might want to put your glasses on, those aren't filter jobs.

#2167 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

LOL! no... your right... it must have taken their artist all day to hand paint each of those characters....
The rest of the character photos are available online, I'm not wasting all day finding them for you. These are traced in photoshop (or painter) with some filters to make them pretty. Don't buy the 'hand drawn' nonsense. This stuff was phoned in.

Obviously it was all done over stock photos, but was still done by hand, not a "insert photo, click filter, done".

#2176 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Light table trace job with some good inking afterwards.

More likely all digital, just done with a Wacom, and yes, I'm sure some filters, but there's no such thing as a "drawing filter" that will take a photo like that and generate that result.

I'm not gonna defend the art on the playfield, I don't really like it, but let's stick to the facts. TBL had a backglass that was filtered photos. This isn't that.

#2190 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I am sure you are correct here, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that cutting edge deep learning techniques like deep photo could accomplish this via style transfer.

Maybe. When I look at it I see a lot of nuance that a human eye did. Look how the light was brought around the edge of the sleeve on the gun arm to help define the dimensionality, that wasn't in the photo.

I'm not trying to call this a work of art. It's a trace job over a stock photo, a realllllly well known one that we all recognize right away. The composition doesn't interest me. The whole playfield style overall isn't doing it for me.

But it's not fair to just call it filtered photos, there's more going on with all of this than that.

Quoted from scarybeard:

No, its not a 'one click' filter. But it IS a filter.
PHOTOSHOP > Filter > Stylize > find edges > Edit > Fade find edges > mode: Multiply > ~30% or so.

I hear you. I've got over 2 decades of Photoshop experience myself, there's always a trick. But I don't see it here. That's not a Find Edges job, there's too much nuance in the line work.

Anyways, I don't care. If I'm wrong and that's some slick filtering work, good for them. If it's all hand drawn, cool. I think the end result feels generic, because regardless of technique it's too familiar of an image.

#2202 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Fair enough. I don't want to come off as a jerk, I'm just passionate about art. I wish the 'good ol days' of pinball art were being embraced more like Ghostbusters. Say what you like about frustrating gameplay, that machine is gorgeous!

Just two guys talking shop, no worries! And I'm with you on that.

#2263 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Talked to my former classmate and he did the artwork for the Pro cabinet. Yes, hand-drawn, based on a stock model image.

Tell him to stop lying to you and share his filter secrets!

#2264 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not sure if you guys saw this in the club thread but these are some features I think are going to be amazing.
Some fun info from a friend:
The button mashing tie fighter video that was shown is a mode. have to do it while the ball is in play.
The other use for the button is multipliers. At all most any time during play you can toggle the shot multiplier arrow on and off. when it is off, you can move it from shot to shot. when it is on, you can get all awards that apply to that shot with an up to 40x multiplier!! haha amazing.
Also, you choose characters at some point and the modes change based off what character you are playing as.
Liking this more and more!

Here's the truth as I see it: this is a Ritchie game, sure it will flow well. It's also very similar to a lot of his other layouts, no denying that, so the code is going to be super key on this one. If Dwight knocks it out of the park people will be happy with the game. If it's fun but nothing special I don't see it lasting long, just too much like all the other Stern games you can flip with similar feels. Code is gonna be the big differentiator.

I assumed the video mode thing was while the ball was in play, would be incredibly lame without that. Could be fun. At least it's kind of a new idea.

#2283 6 years ago

True that, why I love Tron so much.

#2581 6 years ago
Quoted from LewisD:

Is anyone else concerned about the impact Disney/Lucasfilm lawyers will have on the third party modding scene? I could see legal issues arise once people start selling spaceship models and other add-ons that are not official.

If you're selling modified Hot Wheels or Hallmark ornaments or whatever you're utterly safe, first sale doctrine means they can't say boo.

If you're sculpting your own and selling them you're probably gonna hear from Stern telling you to stop or they'll contact Disney.

#2835 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hopefully this isn't the new standard pricing for all future Sterns.

With the exception of the extra stupidity that was the pricing of Batman 66, has Stern ever lowered prices from one game to the next? Serious question, I don't think so, but I don't actually know.

#2878 6 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

It's insane that people may actually have machines on site before we get to see video of what we're buying. Drives me freaking nuts.

This is a problem only Stern has.

No one else can announce and ship a game that fast!

With the LE being as weak as it is it shouldn't be hard to just wait, unless you're a "gotta have it no matter what" buyer.

#3169 6 years ago

Just like you can't use the BOM to measure fun you can't use the number of modes either. Hobbit has more modes than any game ever, that doesn't mean much to me though. Star Trek has 18 modes, but the reason I sold it is they all felt pretty much the same to me. SKB can explain why I'm wrong, but it still felt that way!

Are the 16 modes actually unique? Are they ladders like Ghostbusters where you're playing them in the same order every time? That's my personal turn off with Ghostbusters, every time I see it at league someone is playing Who Brought the Dog.

Same token, number of toys doesn't equal a fun equation either. AFM is a brilliant game, not much to look at at first glance.

Nothing about Star Wars excites me now, but let's see the video of gameplay and actually learn how it works. I might change my mind once the meat is revealed.

#3259 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Please send these guys to our league to boost our points for a few weeks. I'll be happy to personally eliminate them and show them how to play the game correctly.

I'll see if Jim Belsito and Bob Matthews are free.

Seriously, don't want to give my peoples a bad name, lots of good players in OC League, the WBTD stuff is just from lames like me who haven't played the game before. I shouldn't judge overmuch, I haven't played GB a lot, but in general I'm not a fan of linear mode progression in a home setting, I like games you can approach differently.

#3342 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Stern's is made from sand people

I believe that they prefer to be called Tusken Raiders, sand people is a pejorative.

#3343 6 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

I'm willing to roll the dice on the code issues with SW only because of the fun I have had with other Steve Ritchie games. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong the theme is worth it to me and I already have fun with what he has produced so we will see.

I personally think pre-ordering (any game from any manufacturer) without playing is dumb, but if you're gonna do it with Stern you're probably pretty safe with Ritchie + Dwight. Whether or not you'll like the game is an unknown, but I can't see the game being "left behind" by that team.

#3346 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I think this feature (now starting to become a trend?) is making the games too complicated - period. This makes the games more fun for a small % of people and less fun for a large % of people.

This is why Lyman is a genius. Not throwing shade at Dwight or Keefer or anyone else who does different kind of deep games, but Lyman's games have that great combination of being really approachable to a casual player, while providing a lot of depth for more serious players. It's not an easy mix.

His secret, IMHO, is that he's always trying to provide multiple paths through the game. He's talked about this in interviews, both about his own games, and the games he personally enjoys playing. I remember him talking up Shadow for instance, and that's a great early example of a game you can approach in a lot of ways. You can focus on modes, you can try and go for the wizard mode, you can just shoot for Vengeance, you can try for loops, you're not stuck in any kind of linear approach.

Look at how you can play Metallica, ACDC, TWD, you can always find your own path, when you step up you don't have to play it the way the guy before you did.

But you also don't need to spend 45 minutes on it. LOTR is an amazing game for instance, but it's also one that sits unplayed in a lot of collections, because you know that to really play it you gotta set aside a lot of time. I've got friends who own it, love it, and yet never play it for that reason. Need to be in the mood for the whole epic journey thing.

Pinball programming is hard, not because actually programming rules is super difficult, but because balancing the whole experience, not to mention trying to balance the scoring on top of that, is a real art.

#3349 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lord of the Rings is such an amazing game because of its deep objective based rulset. Hitting loops, targets, and ramps over and over again just for points or bashing the same area 20x isn't fun after a while, at least not for me.
Keith Johnson is a genius at creating deep objective based rulesets as they work every feature and shot on the playfield in interesting ways. LOTR, TSPP, WOZ and TH all require the player to work the playfield in unique ways.

Keefer is one of the all time greats in my book, but I also find his games personally unappealing, simply because I don't have the skills/patience/time to really enjoy what he does. It's more like I appreciate them for the brilliant designs they have, but aren't my cup of tea.

I'm more likely to step up to my Flash Gordon, play a fast game even with it set to 5 balls, maybe rinse and repeat a few times, and then be done. Got my ass kicked by a brutal game and it felt good. If you're next to me on LOTR you're still on ball one after I finished all that.

My Sterns are Tron, Metallica, and ACDC. You can have some good long balls on any of them, but they're not about the epic journey, and my games are set up to kick your ass more often than sailing through for a 20 minute ball.

#3362 6 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Lyman and Ritchie/Borg is the only safe bet. Dwight is ramping up nicely, but Lyman is a sure thing.

Safest bet is don't order until you've played it, and assume what you played is what you'll get. Anything after that is a nice bonus.

#3601 6 years ago

I love ewoks. People just like to be haters. Just means I get more enjoyment out of watching Return of the Jedi than the haters do, so feels like a win to me!

#3671 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Zombie yeti posted this picture of Keith Elwin playing star wars pro

"This GB playfield is for Dwight to program"

Also, if you didn't think this toy was bad ass I can't F with you

ewok (resized).jpgewok (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3950 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

FFS this thread sucks

I only came back to read it because someone started a Star Wars video thread, so I figured there must be content in here. Nope.

Why the hell would you start a thread for videos when there aren't any? I refuse to bump it up so just gonna bitch here.

Meanwhile if you're buying a pin without playing it or even seeing any video then you deserve to be mocked a little. It's dumb as hell. Don't get all offended because someone points out it's stupid, just roll with it, your money, your game, have fun.

1 week later
#4753 6 years ago

I thought it was full of interesting ideas, and I suspect lots of people will have a lot of fun with it.

I just don't see myself as one of them.

As a big Star Wars fan it didn't click with me, the magic of the theme wasn't there. That's just a personal thing. This looks better for people who aren't actually giant fans and won't care about nitpicky shit that doesn't feel right, or who don't use ridiculous words like "magic" when thinking about the game.

The LCD style and animations reminded me of a slot machine, just a mash of different things from the movies popping up all over. For me that's not a good thing, but I bet it works great on location with casual players who see all the shit flying around. I'd route this for sure if I was an op, it will earn.

If I could sum it up I'd say that I'd prefer a game that was more story immersive, more focused, and they had a different vision for this that's more stack-heavy, more chaotic, more tons of things going on. Just a personal preference. It's probably because I love the idea of the theme so much, like I said, if you're not pre-biased you might not care.

Still curious to play it and experience it in person!

But the deal killer really is the layout. It's boring. We've seen it too many times. I'm not paying thousands of dollars for it, doesn't matter how good the code is. I can buy video games for code. I buy pins for the physical experience, and this one is dull. Ritchie played it safe, did what he's done a ton of times already; it will flow and be fast, and it's not even vaguely interesting. No crazy shots, nothing that interacts with the ball, just straight up fan layout. If you've owned a modern Ritchie you've played it already. I have ACDC, I had Star Trek, no need to rebuy something so similar. (Not the same! But close enough to feel like it.)

No video was going to change that, probably why after a bit I got bored and closed the stream. I was just watching the LCD screen, the actual ball play wasn't compelling.

#4762 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I watched the entire stream, but I feel the same as you that it wasn't the most fun game to watch.

I tuned in for the game where Sharpe had to drain his ball (too close to wizard? missed why that happened) and then watched a game or two after that. Maybe 40 mins? But I stuck it on a second monitor and multitasked.

#4764 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There's no bargain in pinball in the NIB market, no matter where you look. Everything is overpriced. And no way you can stretch the definition of bargain to apply to a Star Wars premium or LE. Come on now. The game is barren and they have stripped out even more than usual on these things.

Yup. Money is money. I dunno about others, but I'm not contractually obligated to buy new pins. Being cheaper than DI doesn't mean I'm gonna open my wallet or anything. You gotta f—k'n wow me for the prices these days. If I'm not 100% sold then I'm passing.

#4767 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Nothing interactive because it was the Pro version. (Not to mention the Tie Fighter). Respect your opinion but the Premium and LE do have added ball interactive features as we all know.

A toy on a spring with a standup. It's definitely not an interactive toy in my book. If it counts for you then by all means enjoy it. Sparky is more my level if we want to talk toys with standups and springs.

All I've seen in action is the Pro, I can't judge the rest. But same layout just with a loop thing. Maybe it's super cool, but it's not going to change how the game shoots. When I see it if I change my mind I'll say so. Just not thinking it will matter much, and for the Prem price? Really doubt it. The LE is a bad deal this time around.

If you like the game then great! Buy it. I want someone I know to buy one so I can play it. Not a hater. But it's not for me, and I stated why.

#4849 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

At least in GOT it kinda thematically made sense as the house modes weren't super story-driven...I can kinda buy "fighting 2 houses at once" ...but in SW, it seems weird to start 2 movie-specfic story modes simultaneously.

It's pretty obvious this game isn't a LOTR-style adventure, where you 'play the movies', it's just using Star Wars as window dressing for the kind of rules Dwight wanted to do. I think lots of people will enjoy it, seems like that style lends itself well to home replay value, and on location people probably won't care.

But yeah, it's not my preferred style either. I sold my Star Trek after the latest rules were updated, I don't care for the way the rules on GB work, and GoT has never excited me, maybe I just don't dig the same stuff Dwight does. Or maybe we just haven't found a middle ground yet and a future game from him will be the one.

It would take a more interesting playfield, that's for sure.

#4851 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are completely story driven. They are a battle that each house experienced. You're not battling those houses, your just experiencing that battle.

GoT is not even remotely story driven in my opinion, but maybe we think of 'story' differently. It has rules that utilize the world of the theme, and it integrates well, but it's not at all narrative-driven play.

#5074 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Aurich, I'm saying this cause you're a fan of Star Wars. You're not seeing the big picture. What stern delivered is a game for any home owner to play the way THEY CHOOSE. You say you don't like the rules of multipliers and that picking two missions makes no sense; but the game is developed to play however you like. You can choose to start on tatooine, then take your chance to battle the Death Star, then escape from Hoth, then have your ewok orgy and face off against Vader in the battle for endor. All while dodging Boba Fett, fighting tie fighters, playing millineum falcon multiballs, increasing your Jedi mastery (just like Luke in the movies!), and having light saber duels! Dude, as a fan of the trilogy, how can you not be excited for having an SW pinball where YOU choose how you want to play it.

Nothing you're saying here resonates with me after watching that video. It sounds nice, but it's just not an experience the game is actually offering, that much is clear to me.

I don't doubt it has a ton of different scoring opportunities, lots of paths to choose, I think this will be a killer title for you. It's the opposite of actually immersive as a story though. Like, I'm not hating on the stacked mission option, it's clearly in line with Dwight's vision for the code, but it represents the opposite of what I'm interested in for this theme.

It's because I'm a Star Wars fan that I'm not really interested frankly. Things like the wiggling rows of tie fighters and a star destroyer flying across Hoth, I called it a slot machine, and that's what it looks like to me. Lots of Star Wars assets, very little that actually feels anything like the films. The tone and character that I love isn't there.

That's fine! As I said, the cookie cutter playfield layout basically doomed it from the start for me anyways, so it's probably best that I don't really dig the software approach, means I'm not tempted by something I'd ultimately be bored by anyways.

#5078 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I've said it a few times but playing GOT feels like I'm playing with a fancy calculator while someone's watching a TV show. There's no soul. Obviously, that's a really specific thing to "feel" in a pin, but as a total package, GOT feels flimsy and obsessively mathematical. The game as a concept doesn't come together, so it's harder to lose myself in it. What happens in GOT? What's going on when Arya Stark is marking names off her list? Nothing! It's terrible, uninvolving gameplay and the only point is to get points. That's terrible. That's a terrible way to design a game. I need something to play for besides numbers. Pinball machines have a great capacity to be wholly theatrical experiences and it's frustrating to see it being wasted repeatedly.

This is what I meant by GOT not being a "story" pin. It uses the world as trappings for a rule system, and that's fine! Very valid way to design games. But it's not my preferred style, I'm not attracted to them, and Star Wars looks like a similar approach after watching the video, and that's why I'm not turned on as a fan.

I get the attraction to 'math' rules, and different paths, and especially stacking, all makes sense to me. Lots of replay value for sure for instance. But I'd rather be locked into a single mode that was full of atmosphere and really conveyed the heart and soul of the theme even if it meant giving up some of that freedom. If the modes are creative and fun then it will keep its staying power for me still.

#5085 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

If this is boring to you then i can't see why you like Alien

Well first off, I don't own an Alien, I honestly have little opinion on it as a game because I simply haven't played it yet.

But since you brought it up I will say two things about Alien that make it more appealing, on paper, to me.

1) The layout on Alien is original and different. 4 flippers, new shots, it's not a rehash of games I've already owned and played. That's really important. Stern hiring Keith Elwin is great, his Archer game for instance doesn't shoot like anything else. Innovate your layout if you want my money, repeating the same old fast-n-flow doesn't do it for me, don't care how smooth it is.

2) The modes in Alien were purposefully designed to not stack. It's the opposite, every mode is very much about the story and atmosphere, when you're in one you should feel like being in the film for those moments, it's meant to be singular and immersive. This is what I've been getting at as my personal preferred style of game.

Honestly Alien and Star Wars are really very different games, being bored by one has no bearing on the other.

Edit: I'm not going to bring up Alien on my own, but if someone asks me about it I'm not going to ignore them either, so downvote away if that hurts your feelings.

4 weeks later
#6417 6 years ago

I missed the stream and I'm on my phone in a car, tried to skip around in that YouTube video (thanks for the time stamped Death Star bit that helped) can anyone explain how the loop works? Like what's the point? It's not a ball lock apparently, so what's it for?

Death Star toy was underwhelming, trying to figure out what the Premium and LE actually offer for the extra cash. Right now I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get the Pro if you want the game.

2 weeks later
#6821 6 years ago

I'm glad people are enjoying their games, but enough with the "anyone who said otherwise will surely regret it!" takes. Have fun, do you, let other people have their opinions ffs.

#6838 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Sure if you don't like a game that is fine, but friggin try to like a game before you write it off.

Here's the thing, and this is the core of my personal issue: no software, no art, no sound effects, no extensive game time is going to change the layout. And I'm bored with that Ritchie layout, I've owned it enough times, I've played it enough times. Obviously not that exact one, but close enough, no one is going to successfully argue otherwise with me. Flow flow flow. Okay, whatever. I'm looking for something else now.

Doesn't mean the game can't be fun, or that you are bored with it. By all means enjoy it. Some people are delighted it's a smooth and fast ramp shooting experience, happy for them. No snark, I really am.

I play pinball for the physical experience. The code matters, but the physical game layout comes first. I put my money on Total Nuclear Annihilation instead. It's not as deep as Star Wars, but I don't care, flipping it is something new and fun. That's what I want pinball to be, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

I'm tired of people brushing that off. Great, you like it, bless you and I wish you happiness with your game. My money is supporting new ideas, not overly familiar safe ones, and if that sounds harsh it's still the truth. Steve Ritchie is a god, always will be, but if he doesn't want to try new ideas I'm gonna stick with enjoying his previous games.

tl;dr Enjoy your game, stop telling me and others that our concerns aren't valid, the game is what it is and it's not changing. That's not bashing, it's just having an opinion and a principle and sticking to it. I've downsized my collection and half my games are still Sterns, but it takes more than a cool theme and being new and modern to make me want a game.

#6878 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

The layout is what it is and it's not changing, but a game can be totally different with the same layout.

Yes, but as I noted in my post, my primary issue is the layout, thus the "not changing" comment. Dwight is a smart dude, and a good coder, and I don't doubt his layered approach to the game rules will make Star Wars more interesting than say Star Trek, which I sold because it started to bore me. Though at least Star Trek had a third flipper.

People should buy what they want, I'm not telling anyone to avoid Star Wars. As a huge fan who owns a ridiculous amount of toys and collectibles it's a little disappointing to me that it turned out the way it did, but whatever, I don't have some "omg must have a pinball of the things that I like" complex. Passing on it isn't making me lose sleep.

I'm just annoyed with the chorus of "people will sure feel dumb when they realize how great this is!" like my objections aren't based in something rational. The layout is not interesting, and nothing will change that, just accept that some people actually care about those things. This is pinball, that's not actually weird.

2 months later
#7440 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Nope. It's 4 LOM.

You're both right in a way. Yes, that's 4 LOM, but there were toys with that figure shipped that had him named Zuckuss.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 21.50
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.