8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1883 Youtube link to IGN posted game release video Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1911 Images of the Pro and Premium/LE Playfields Posted by Number41 (6 years ago)

Post #1914 feature matrix for Star Wars Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #1919 Stern List Prices posted Posted by BillPinball (6 years ago)

Post #1931 Stern Press Photos of the game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #1935 Stern Press photos of game Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2024 freeze frame look at the death star lights Posted by tbanthony (6 years ago)

Post #2057 A quote on prices in US for Pro and Premiums Posted by Dr-Willy (6 years ago)

Post #2158 notes about game features and links to game play video Posted by Kiwipinhead (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#127 6 years ago

Glad I don't even remotely care about this theme!

Enjoy!

#198 6 years ago

I asked my girlfriend for her first impression, since she's a huge Star Wars fan.

She said "The Death Star looks like a helmet" ....and then "I'm not sure what they are going for. It looks like a mess. Why not just get the OG Star Wars game?"

She loves the DE SW pin, btw.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So clearly then, her professional judgement of good pinball games is terrible.

It's a window into what a casual pinball fan but hardcore Star Wars fan might think when they see all the available SW pins.

A lot of people here have been saying this will be the best selling game ever because: Star Wars fans. Star Wars fans are gonna look at this and go "$8k? ....yeah OK bye" lol

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

By far the best flowing game ever built IMHO.

LOL...take your Alien schilling elsewhere...this thread is about a game people can actually buy and have shipped to them.

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I don't know, I've never been able to get into GOT. It just doesn't feel like a "game". These Stern pins always feel like I'm crunching numbers - pile up a bunch of stuff, hope I see a big number.

It's pinball for Rainman. Bare playfield, chess/math rules. Zzzzzzzz.

#267 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No need for 2 LCD's.
They could have put a cool toy there

I have to imagine it's important because they left it on the Pro. I imagine the LCD will display various ships that you need to shoot by hitting the targets below.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

We all complained about Star Trek being sparse and look at it now its a great game, who knows star wars might be up there in being a great game

This is the typical Steve Ritchie reveal..."The art sucks, it looks cheap, it looks sparse" ..but then once people play it, it finds its fans. Personally, the last game he made I like/love is AC/DC.

A game that looks like this is gonna have this first impression reaction, though. People have seen Metallica, Ghostbusters, Aerosmith...and when it comes to Photoshop, we've got Hobbit as a great example. The art just flat out doesn't look good - and when people are expected to pay this much, the expect good art - especially since we know it CAN be done.

I do think the Death Star toy is going to be a crowd pleaser though - the ball is gonna whip around and fly through it, it's gonna "blow up" and I'm sure there are blinding flashers inside. Unfortunately, that toy is NOT on the Pro...

#290 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Who would have said that about ST? ST is definitely Steve's best pin in a long time. Im not even a fan of ST, but that games rips.

I'm talking about first impressions, not gameplay impressions. ST does look cheap, does have shit art, and does look sparse. It plays smooth, but I'm not a fan of the rules and some of the presentation choices (Bones' voice integration is terrible). Steve makes the SMOOTHEST games, that's for sure....but it's just not enough for me if there isn't anything else interesting going on with the playfield design. That being said - I'm going to predict this game plays more fun than ST and GOT.

#325 6 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

Have a little faith people at least play the game first. I'm sure Stern is going to add a heck of a sound and DMD package to make the game even better!

DMD?

#491 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Stern needs to get on top of that if they ever want to expand sales and resonate with the mainstream consumer rather than just a small niche segment of the overall gaming market.
No doubt at some stage in the future we'll get a detailed review from dead flip, but the reality is in terms of market penetration -
SW official channel > Dead flip.
Really just another lost opportunity with a license that had guaranteed widespread appeal.

A $5000-$8000 coin-op game will always be niche and never have widespread appeal. In the video game world right now, people are complaining that Street Fighter 2 for Switch is too expensive @ $40. Lol.

#630 6 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I'm new around here....is this always how it is when a game is announced?

If the art looks shitty, yes. Metallica, Aerosmith & GB's unveilings were overwhelmingly positive.

#1236 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I have an AC/DC. I think it's the best Stern machine ever created. It's also one of the ugliest.

It's really not, though. You wan't ugly? Look at 24, Elvis, World Poker Tour, Austin Powers, GOT...Stern is capable of TRUE UGLY. Sure, AC/DC is Photoshopped real photos, but it's stylistically cohesive throughout, has an appropriate color palette, the "poses" of the "characters" are energetic and exciting - and, at the end of the day, it "feels" like AC/DC. There's nothing offensive about it in terms of how it represents its theme.

For the record, I don't think SW is typical "Stern ugly" ....the art just looks very,very lazy and cheap. I think once lit up, it will be acceptable enough if it plays well.

#1256 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

So do we have an "official " LE number from Stern? or are Stern gauging interest from distributors after the pictures have been shown?

#1280 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Wait wait, that's a low res picture wait until a high res picture comes out and you might change your mind. What a frickin joke this place has become.

Please, you can see the composition and characters clearly. A bunch of characters backs, heads in profile, a big white blob in the middle. It's a terrible backglass.

#2293 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

This is a title i'm sure will get as much attention as needed. You don't pay for a license like Star Wars and ignore the code and just move on to the next game.

Every game is a hot license that was paid for and should receive full attention. People say this every time a hot new game is coming out while the last few are languishing with unfinished or buggy code. Star Wars isn't going to get the proper coding just because it's Star Wars. Just like GB and GOT, when Dwight has to work on another game, SW will be done. No guarantees it will be complete or bug free.

#2662 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

It is crazy to me that the pro has no features or toys at all really. It could still be fun, but that is nuts to me.

Neither did ST (only really had the bobble
Ship) or GOT (only really had the bobble Dragon).

#2668 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Levi mentioned that the TIE fighter shook when the target was struck, and it seemed like more than just a spring.

Essentially the same as GOT's dragon movement or Green Goblin on Spidey'07

#2698 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

For real though, Stern is probably getting those LCDs for under $5 each.

...but how much is it costing to create all the animation and content for that LCD? That's got to factor into the BOM.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

ST pro has a large moving ship toy (well rocking ship, lol) that is tied into a drop target, kicker and magnet below it.

The ball doesn't really interact with the ship...it's just a thing that reacts to hitting normal pinball things (target, magnet, coil)

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

GOT Pro has a physical ball lock, kicker shot, and the mini battering ram.

Again...just kinda normal pinball stuff...the ram is essentially a captive ball or a target. It barely moves or does anything. The kicker is a coil.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Star Wars has...a mini Tie Fighter on a spring that moves when a small standup target is hit...

The LCD is the main Pro toy. Hopefully it'll have lots of content since that's what you're gonna be looking at a lot.

Anyway - If you look at the history of Steve Ritchie games, he really doesn't "do" toys. He's about the layout, the wireforms, the flow...he likes cannons (T2, STTNG, ACDC) and upper playfields (BK2K, Elvis, GOT). His toys are mostly decoration or things that move around above the gameplay (Dancing Elvis, 24's sniper, ST's ship, GOT's dragon).

#2712 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Pro doesn't have any.

Pro doesn't have one.

Pro doesn't have one.

LOL...well, yeah - The Prem/LE is Steve's true vision. His Pros are always stripped bare...but some people are happy with that as long as it's fast and has good rules. Pro's got the LCD and a bouncy ship...if the LCD has content that impresses people, I think it'll end up with a good reputation.

#2722 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Maybe so. But JJP shipped The Hobbit with the bezel, as a complete "art" package.
Shouldn't we expect the same from Stern?

On Hobbit,it's supposed to be a book. On SW, it looks like its purpose will be ships to "shoot" by hitting the targets. Perhaps it was by design to have a plain black bezel....so when you're playing in a dark room, you don't really notice it - and it kinda looks like ships are floating there in space.

#2729 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I hear you. Surely there's a better way to "hide" a LCD screen in a game then? Why the thick black bezel then? You'd think the smaller the better in this case?

Protection? Thicker = protection from airballs? *shrug*

#2730 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes 29 modes and still seartching for the fun.

I see you've sold your GB. Guess the search for fun ended, eh?

Ben & I - still having fun with Hobbit...no search necessary.

#2746 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The Hobbit is objectively worse than GB.

That is impossible considering GB is the worst game ever made in the history of all games, even resonating beyond the pinball universe, throughout infinity.

#2753 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

sually it's the speed and flow that makes a Ritchie game so much fun. The pro may be better in this regard like on GOT, we'll have to see.

Not sure about that - as the main extra gimmick on SW is a speed/flow toy, while GOT's upper playfield was just a swing and a miss.

#2760 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Looks like the pro does have a physical ball lock as well? Just looks like the fork stly like on xmen or st eather than the nifty one on the prem?

That shot says "video mode", so stopping the ball for that is def gonna happen there - but it could have other uses, too.

#2774 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

JJP Also released a terrible
Game in the hobbit, one of the worst ever. Shouldn't we expect better?

Except they didn't. It's phenomenal. You're thinking of GB, clearly.

#2780 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ala Avatar, but doubt it happens. Doesn't look like there is a good way to do that in the SW design. I mean, how can you tell it's knocked out?

Yeah, it'd have to sit on a switch for that functionality. It's prob just a video mode stopper then.

#2796 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I kind of (sort of) like the Hobbit...but would never buy one.
I am not a competitive player but my first game on Hobbit lasted 45 minutes!!! First Game. My second lasted over 30 (different machine). It's kind of cool but way too easy (IMHO).

There are these wacky things called "opening the outlanes", "removing the center post", "making the incline steeper", and "changing difficulty settings". It's crazy, all games have difficulty options!

There's also this concept of "Deep games". LOTR & TSPP are examples. Games are long because they have the content to justify the length. Long doesn't = bad, if the content is there.

#2821 6 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Somebody mentioned Ritchie and magnets....
Black Knight magna-saves should be Star Wars Force-Saves.

OH SNAP!

#3130 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, Dominoes, yes the pizza pin, has more features then Star Wars Pro for the same price.

LOL. I don't even like the SW theme, but I'd buy 10 SW before Dominos. If Dominos has any "features" you sure don't feel them while playing. On a game like this, "Steve Ritchie" is the feature. If the code is good, then no one will care about there not being a Jedi Space Hamster bash toy.

#3137 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would never buy one. My point was only to compare what is offered parts wise on each and it seems like the pin based on a pizza company has a lot more for the same price...

People don't buy pinball to break down the BOM. They buy it for the theme and/or gameplay experience. Iron Man is a great example of that. All the pinball hardcores initially said it was a piece of shit because it was so barebones. Flash forward a few years - everyone wants it, it becomes the first Vault Edition. BOM = irrelevant in the long run as long as the game is fun.

#3149 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

I have not been following the thread, i was just looking at the video of gameplay... how does averyone feel about the death star cracking open like an egg? To me that is incredibly lame and the best they can do? Looks like a gimmick from the 70's. I am a SW fan, but having a hard time looking past it and the lack of coolness for the price.

Think of the big picture and how it will potentially present in the game - I'm thinking the GI goes dark, the flashers inside the "egg" flash like crazy as it explodes, accompanied by big sound effects and music - and perhaps an outward insert sweep to simulate the explosion effect. It'll probably look/feel cool. Think about MM - the castle explosion would be pretty lame without the lights and sounds, right?

#3292 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Steve mentioned in his seminar that the player has to choose a character at the beginning of the game, like on GoT. I found that a horrible feature on GoT. Never watched the show, so have no clue what to choose. Same with SW. Never watched the movies, so probably not a game for me. I seriously wonder how adding such choices to the game is helping novice players to appreciate it.

LOL - waaaah - so because you're the one person on the planet who hasn't seen SW, they should tailor the license to you? That's the most insane type of entitlement I've seen in a while here, and that's saying something for this hobby. Even people who haven't seen Star Wars know who Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are. As for GOT - let's say they didn't let you chose a House up front ...since you don't know the show, you wouldn't understand the context of anything mid-game either.

Worst "constructive criticism" ever.

#3300 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

NBAFB and Stern NBA. Choosing a team.

AC/DC - choose your song/mode
Transformers - choose Autobot or Decepticon

#3408 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Isn't all pinball like this? Almost every novice player I interact with says the same thing, "I never knew there were rules in pinball". Selecting a hero or house or song or whatever is the same thing, a rule.
When I first stepped up to TAF, TZ, or FT back in the 90s I had no idea there were rules and stopped playing immediately. Then months later I revisited after a friend showed me some rules and I was hooked. Same thing happens at my house; I show people a few rules and they get hooked in.

I'm not a novice and I've been pretty good about picking up rules and nuances in tons of games....GOT is still like deciphering quantum physics to me...I've given up on trying to understand it. If I play it, I just enjoy the flow, shoot the colored arrows and go for Multiballs...I have no idea what means what or what advantages any choices give me. I got to Winter is Coming and Hand of the King...so, whatever lol

#3417 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm surprised you haven't picked up on the rules of GOT, maybe you need a game with more straightforward modes......say ghostbusters?

Right...every game I love has non-linear modes...don't bring that horror garbage game into this conversation.

GOT's rules are math/chess. Your brain loves that. Mine doesn't. Also, I'm playing on location...I don't think it's as easy to learn GOT on location vs. playing at home. Due to the hideous art package, horrible DMD video clips, and lack of any interesting mechanical features, I will never buy GOT for home.

#3420 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Is that GB's u are referring too? because its far from being a horror film.

LOL....I was referring to the experience of the game. The film is fantastic.

#3430 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

... but you bought Hobbit?
Rob

Phenomenal, deep, non-linear game without ghosting inserts or cabinet splitting....why wouldn't I buy it?

#3432 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

The same reason most of us play pinball instead of reading encyclopedias.
It's an "excitement" thing.

Right, I'm not playing pinball lol. ....it's exciting every time I hit start.

#3434 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

GB is a great pin! I think it boils down to the fact that you aren't a fan of the movie, and that's why you hate the game.
As we all know, a true fan of the movie would love the game.

One of the greatest...that's why it's such a shame the game turned out the way it did, and the theme blinds you to it's problems. I guarantee that same exact design, toys, and rules with another theme (Ghostbusters'16 for example) - your opinion would be very different.

Thankfully, I have freed myself from the concept of "dream themes" ...it's a concept I will never allow myself to get passionate about again, as I am no longer ever buying NIB pins again. Good luck!

#3436 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Does anyone think this will be too similar to Star Trek in a small home collection?

They're not the same thing?

(JOKING)

#3448 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

GOT LE is a gorgeous game. Better looking playfield and the cabinet art was done by an artist.

There was one for sale locally and I contemplated biting on it....buuuuut, I don't really like the upper playfield at all on GOT - so, I like the look of the LE better than the other 2, but prefer the gameplay of the Pro.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cool now what about Star Wars? You know, the topic of this thread?

I think it has the potential to be Ritchie's best game since AC/DC (that's my favorite of his current-ish Sterns)...but we won't know till we can play it or get a sense of what the rules are gonna be like!

#3451 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Cause its not that fun.

Subjective opinion from a flow-only player bias. It's extremely fun and satisfying for those who like a cinematic quest style game.

#3469 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Start a mode to battle a house. Shoot the colored shields within the time limit. Defeat the houses to reach Hand of the King and Iron Throne.

Well I've done that! I guess I do get it! Eskaybee made it sound so confusing when he explained it!

#3516 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I was really interested in the Simpsons Pinball Party.. but maybe Stern will do a re-release?

Unlikely. It was one of their top sellers so there are already a ton out there. It was a Whitestar game, they're. It going to mass produce Whitestar boards at this point. It would be a stellar "remaster" candidate - the game would be even more amazing with modern sound quality and real animation on a color LCD - but I don't see it happening.

#3540 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern code is never, ever finished in the eyes of many people. I don't really understand what they want sometimes.

What's to understand? They want it to be finished lol.

Wishlists are subjective, but missing features and bugs are legitimate things to want in a game and hopefully easy to understand.

#3569 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I feel the same way about Hobbit. 40 modes and have no idea what to do with each one.

Look at the LCD book. It always tells you what to do in each one.

#3587 6 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

I was 16, and it almost ruined the movie for me. Absolute abomination.

When I was a kid, everyone loved Ewoks. I had the tree fort (or whatever) playset. They're f'ing space hamsters! How can you hate space hamsters!?!?!?!

3 weeks later
#4497 6 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Imo...it will be hard to beat GB

No, it won't. It's going to be pretty easy for any new game to at least be a smidge better than the scientifically proven worst game ever made of all time in the history of the universe.

#4519 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I think AS is just as empty. It's just that the pf art is so busy that it distracts from it.

Yup, it's pretty boring. I think people were mostly excited that it looked nice & actually played like a real pinball machine vs. the garbage dumpster GB...but, it's a pretty mediocre experience. Jackie is a cool gimmick, but it got old fast. There's nothing really satisfying about any of the goals or shots. Not a fan of the band, so I'm sure really digging them takes it up a notch.

#4530 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Funny I had a related thought that people think "Wow it's the KISS layout but it doesn't totally suck like KISS."

It plays very similar. Just has a casual disjointed feeling about it. It's just "a game" with "music playing" and each song has different shots that light up in different colors. I like the music better in Kiss, but I hate the Gene-head toy...it's just a whole lot of nothing. At least Aero has Jackie...buuuut, I don't like the music as much. Eh, it's a wash....both are just very mediocre when we've got AC/DC and Metallica in existence, showing how you really KILL IT with a music pin.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, damn that Ghostbusters with its multiple interactive toys and cool unique layout.

Toys are meaningless when the playfield is designed horribly...nothing "cool" or "unique" about that fun-sapping vomit layout. Then sprinkle some linear/boring gameplay on top of that - you have the game that destroyed pinball. But hey, if the booger-on-a-string and a hologram that does nothing does it for you as "interactive toys", enjoy.

Side anecdote - I was buying an arcade game from a garage sale this weekend and we started talking about pinball (he had a Gorgar in the garage)...the guy mentioned playing some new games on location - he brought up Ghostbusters and instantly started talking about how shitty it was...it was just drain drain drain and he couldn't understand how a new game played like that. I didn't even lead him into that....he brought it up, and I just nodded and agreed lol

#4635 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Thanks for the video link, looks great. I notice that the led's under the inserts can turn off/on instantly like usual, but that they can also slowly fade on/off kind of like the old incandescent bulbs used to. Is that a new thing, or have all previous led Sterns done this? Just curious because I never noticed that before.

All Spike games have been capable of this.

#4832 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Also remember that many simply do not want to work on their games, they just want to buy it new and have it function properly. They don't want half of their play time to involve a soldering gun.

Then don't buy a new Stern, for crying out loud!!!

As for the Jack Donger video, no one cares what I think since I'm not a SW fan and was never going to buy it no matter what - but watching the gameplay cemented my opinion on Dwight's style of "math chess" rules....I just don't like it, especially combined with Steve's fast gameplay & lack of features. It's just convoluted and unintuitive, and lacks those pavlovian moments of satisfaction. Like GOT, I hate the "pass" and "start 2 modes at once" concept. I think of mode stacking in a game like TSPP - it's just more fun/satisfying to start the mode, then hit the shot that re-lights the mode shot, then hitting that again to get another mode stacked. Starting 2 at once just doesn't feel right...it doesn't feel "pinball". Aurich got a slot machine vibe - me too...not just from the animation, but from all the on-screen logic...just feels like gibberish, and detracts from the feel of the theme and the feel of pinball.

I just think of other Ritchie games like Spider-Man & AC/DC and how the rules are deep once you get to know them...but up front are newb friendly and satisfying. On Spidey, just hitting the Venom ramp and getting that Venom sound effect/scream - FEELS good...hitting Sandman or Doc Ock and getting their FX/callouts - FEELS good. AC/DC, you don't have to know anything about the depth, but the bell FEELS good and the cannon FEELS good. Once you figure out the depth later, it makes an already satisfying visceral experience even more rewarding. I feel like with games like GOT and now SW - you have to know so much going in or have the ability to make sense of all the gibberish onscreen quickly, otherwise it's just a combination of confusing rules & lack of satisfying moments.

Anyway - obviously other people are going to love this ruleset...SKB is totally down with math-chess rules. GOT fans should love it....but, it's definitely polarizing. The uber-cerebral players will probably love it, the players who want something more visual/tangible will probably walk away.

#4841 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that's the shit right there. My god think aboot how much better a monotonous wood chopping shitfest like TF would be if you could qualify more than 1 mode at a time. Well that game would still bore me but it would help.

Don't get me wrong, I love stacking...but I don't like the choice to "pass"....just something inherently unsatisfying about it.

#4844 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I hear ya but I like it...another risk vs reward thing.

At least in GOT it kinda thematically made sense as the house modes weren't super story-driven...I can kinda buy "fighting 2 houses at once" ...but in SW, it seems weird to start 2 movie-specfic story modes simultaneously.

#4852 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are completely story driven. They are a battle that each house experienced. You're not battling those houses, your just experiencing that battle.

Hmmm...well, just chalk up one more for GOT's concept being confusing. I thought when you pick a house - YOU are that house...and you're battling the other houses to take the throne. So - to me, it makes sense that the modes are your house vs. theirs.

#4857 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah it doesn't seem that weird to me because the movies aren't actually happening, I'm playing a pinball machine.
Again, if you had to play them all in order you'd be here flipping your wig because it would be just like GB

Let's never speak of that atrocity again lol

...not liking the "pass" thing doesn't mean I want linearity.

Of course we're playing a pinball machine...and it's hard to explain why these newer games aren't working for me vs. older movie based games...but there's something about the "older" games like LOTR, Spidey, Tron, IM, etc...that work well for the license and are satisfying on all fronts. The feel is satisfying, the rules are satisfying, the casual factor and depth factor both work. I'm not feeling that from some of these newer ones.

#4859 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

targaryean is the only house you battle. That's why you can't pick them. Wouldn't make sense to pick Martell then battle Martell.

Hmmm....well, I'll take your word for it. GOT is weirder than I thought, then lol

#4866 6 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Weird... yes, but whatever it takes to speed up the game and rules for the person ahead of me so I can get to play next. By having the ability to stack modes creates a sense of urgency and speeds the game along faster. I keep wondering if the rules are designed for an individual to play or more for a competitive group of individuals to play.

Mode stacking doesn't cause someone to finish sooner. Draining does. One mode or multiple modes doesn't change the physical nature of the game.

#4903 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe the earliest hated review so far, but the stones it takes to put table in 4 times is legendary. Thumbs up!

I was tempted to make a Pulp Fiction meme "Say table one more time!!!"

#4972 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

i like this coz is about risk..to score more or loosing all...like on GOT or AS (when you get the choice to the number of ball in MB)..

I dislike this approach on those games too. I'm not sure how to explain it - there's just something unsatisfying about making a shot and then pausing to choose a non-event. I prefer the stacking risks like AC/DC - I know I can hit the ramp to start a Multiball - but I can wait, and hit the targets or orbits to qualify the other multiballs - then hit the ramp to start 2 or 3 at once. In AC/DC you "chose to pass" by continuing to play differently. Then when you hit the MB ramp - BOOM the MB sequence starts instantly as a reaction to your shot - very satisfying. Compared to Aerosmith - if you want to start the MB, you have to wait for a countdown first. I guess I just like an instant response to a shot vs. a choice menu.

#4981 6 years ago

I'll play it on location, and I like the code - but for home use I don't like the theme or toys, so it's a no-go. The most recent Stern I have is Metallica - and it will probably remain that way until the next Lyman "cornerstone" game. (I refuse to participate in the Super LE overpriced forced-rarity scam).

#5017 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's my one complaint about TWD: the toys. The zombie heads (prison and bicycle girl) are way out of proportion and really just sad examples of bash toys. Well walker is ok, but if you've seen the show he's in like one tiny insignificant scene. Why did they pick him for a main toy??? The crossbow is just a pathetic reuse of Austin Powers and it doesn't even look like a crossbow! Other than that, the game is freaking awesome. I personally even like the art.

I like the art on the Pro & LE. I think it's visually a very nice package. But yeah, I just don't like that the Well Walker doesn't really do anything. Would have been nice if he had a coil that struck & flipped him back on the final hit...especially on the Prem/LE since he has the extra guts attached that you never see. Also I don't like that the Prison is a "wall bash toy" and when the door opens, the giant head inside is another wall. Would have been cooler as a ball release (like zombies rushing out of the prison).

#5018 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious how Derek got his so fast? usuually they ship the first 10 to operators but seems the first few are going to private colelcitons?

He works with Cointaker, helps them setup games for customers. Might be a customer's game?

#5048 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Furthermore (sorry I do have one last thing to say), that "Trudeau flipper gap"...why does everyone bitch about this, yet people LOVE Doctor Who and BSD, and lightning flippers on tournament games. It's the same bloody thing accomplished two slightly different ways, but one get shat on and the other is "just how it was intended".

-Those games don't have tons of linear modes to get through. The goals are simple, addictive, fun. BSD & Dr. Who's content & design work in tandem.

-They also have totally different geometry, and that geometry works just fine with those flipper gaps.

-Dr. Who and BSD's "gaps" are due to lightning flippers. Don't like it? Put regular flippers on it. GB should have been designed with regular flippers, and if people thought it was too easy, change to lightning.

-GB's gap is wider than any lightning gap or previous Trudeau gap. Trusted sources have told me it was a MISTAKE but too late to change.

-Dr. Who and BSD don't have constant airball-death, pop drips STDM, or cheap outlane hop deaths.

GB's problem is that it's CHEAP. Not that it's hard.

Quoted from Frax:

How did a new game play like that? How did Pinbot and Shuttle play like that nearly 30 years ago... as far as I can tell, GB is the ONLY game you consistently trash for physical design, but it's far from the first, or the last game that kills you for missing shots. The shots themselves aren't THAT hard, but they ARE very unforgiving when you do miss...

LOL, bro, don't compare ANY modern game to old games. Totally different in every possible way....especially rules and content. Simple games with simple rules WORK WELL with short ball time drainy playouts. GB's problem isn't that it kills you for missing shots, it kills you for HITTING SHOTS with gaddamn airballs. It kills you when the ball comes out of the pops and goes STDM. It kills you when the ball's coming back on the right orbit & ricochets, sending its path STDM. It kills you when the scoop shoots it STDM (if the op hasn't fixed it).

I can't believe people are still going to bat for this horrible, hobby-killing, fun-sucking garbage dumpster of a vomit box. It's fascinating how tastes in this hobby have changed over the past few years. A game of this terribleness would have never been accepted just a few years back. Theme and art can blind. They almost got me...but I saw the real horrors within!!!!

#5055 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Yeah GB really sucks in a home environment. So glad my LE is gone. Not missing it at all. But back to SW here. I am teetering again with the unfinished code and talk of "oh Stern will have to fix it". NO THEY DONT! They are not fixing GB and they make no comment about fixing anything.
At this point and at these prices I don't need finished code to buy but shouldn't we at least be given an idea and guarantee as to what will be finished in the code and approximately when? If there was any communication from Stern it would be beneficial but there is nothing again... just like GB...
I am really teetering on my LE here. I am starting to feel like a real sucker. My GBLE was a joke and my stomach is telling me the same about SWLE....

They have no reason to change until people stop throwing money at them.

You know what to do.

If you end up liking the game (either upon launch or after code updates), THEN buy it. There might be LE's still available - but if not, the Premium is the same exact game. I mean, even going back to AC/DC - I didn't really like it upon launch, so I didn't get it....then after a few updates, I really loved it. LE's were gone, so I bought a Premium - zero regrets.

#5068 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

??? dafuq? So by your logic, a game can't be 'linear' if it doesn't have modes? Even when the clear path to good scores is one route, and one route only? LOL. Where is the line between "simple" and "linear"?

BSD and DW aren't story-mode based games. GB is. Simple as that. Those games work for what they are. GB doesn't work for what it is. I don't think one story-mode based game has been as linear as GB since Road Show...and I love Road Show due to the design and overall fun of the machine...but most people's complaints about it are due to the linear rules.

Quoted from Frax:

BSD and DW force you into 2 specific tracks to blow up the score, which GB doesn't. But they're not linear and GB *is*? That makes no sense at all. GB gives you the choice of three mode ladders, and even allows you to switch paths inbetween. You also have the option of just popping a ton of ghosts and going for PKE Frenzy, Loopin' Supers, and Total Insanity.

OK. But none of it is fun since the game is unplayable. So...there's that....and if I do have a "good game" where I haven't airballed or STDM'd to death, the content that exists isn't fun, and I have to do it in order every single time. Sure, 3 ladders, but still ladders. I hate the ladders.

Quoted from Frax:

Where were you bitching about Metallica's outlanes

I've never had a problem with Metallica's outlanes.

Quoted from Frax:

and TWD's pops draining down the middle?

I don't really care about the game, so I had no reason to bitch. I've played it plenty on location and that never happened.

Quoted from Frax:

Personally I've never seen GB go from pops STDM where it wasn't saveable? Are you talking about the left side or the right side...I don't see how it could possibly be the right side.

Ball constantly exists on the left from the pops and heads straight down. Unsaveable because of the gap. I've seen it happen on the right side, not from the pops, but from a left orbit shot...the ball sometimes ricochets by the one-way gate, and then goes in a perfect arc down the middle.

Quoted from Frax:

The airball crap is fixable. Our location hasn't fixed it, but I've played enough different machines to know that how those stupid drops are adjusted makes a HUGE difference. The outlane rails I feel like are your one valid complaint, but that alone doesn't kill the entire game, sorry.

All the things in combination kill the game. I've heard the "well on location it sucks but you can fix it" a million times. Bottom line is, the 20-something GB's I've played on location all suck...so, it sucks by design. AND I don't like the rules...I wasn't going to spend thousands to buy a game I don't like only to attempt to fix what sucks about it, and still not like it.

Quoted from Frax:

Oh, so it's perfectly fine for your Gorgar owning friend to do that, but not me? Okay.

What? He never compared the game to Gorgar. I said he OWNED a Gorgar. That has nothing to do with his experience on GB.

Quoted from Frax:

*edit* I'm going to hear you out on the pops thing, then I think I'm done looking at your posts for a while at least.. I used to have a lot more respect for you as a poster, and I keep finding lately that it's just going down the toilet, and we're both hardheaded as f.... it's probably just better if we don't have these exchanges to start with.

Same here, Frax. So many people post negative opinions about GB, but people like you love to laser focus on me...as though I'm the only one who has an issue with it. PLENTY of people hate the game and are vocal about it. Right above this post, Guinesstime said he hated it. It's a polarizing game. Dwight's rules & Ritchie's design for GOT were polarizing. They're going to be polarizing on SW. It's not a "me" thing...some will like it, some will hate it.

Put me in your ignore file if you can't handle me disliking a horrible game

#5079 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think if GB did not have ladders Rare might like it. I actually like the ladders because I like difficult games in my home environment.

I can't believe I'm still explaining this - I like difficulty too. I don't like repetition and all the fun GB-themed content basically being blocked by linear progression. Difficulty comes from the physical nature of a pinball machine, not the order of modes. You can set up an AC/DC to be brutally diffucult...but you can play different songs in any order every time you play. See the difference?

#5083 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Yeah but that limited edition plaque would look so perfect next to STLE and METLE... argh. The shitty thing is I am half serious about that. As a collector it does mean something to have a limited version but when the code is unfinished and the game is uninspiring, I need to be smarter.

I'm here to support you in being smarter!

It's just a plaque. It doesn't actually do anything. I have a Met LE next to my AC/DC Prem. Doesn't bother me. The game is the game. Had I missed out on Met LE, I'd have happily bought a Prem instead.

#5103 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

As Steve would say you need to play better.

It's not Steve's game, and the cliche use of his slogan is irrelevant since GB's design makes skill irrelevant. JT needs to design better.

#5116 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's like telling me that LOTR sucks because you have to play the major multiballs BEFORE you Destroy the Ring

Wrong. You can play the multiballs in any order. You can play the modes in any order. Some things, like mini-wiz modes, OF COURSE you should have to do something special to see them....but not regular game mode content. LOTR would be like GB if you had to play the Multiballs in order or the Ring Modes in the same order.

Quoted from Frax:

, you want a *story* based game to be COMPLETELY non-linear.

No, I want games based on STORY CONTENT to not LOCK AWAY the content due to LINEARITY. Pinball allows you to enjoy all the various bits of story from a license...non-linearity allows you to play a single game and enjoy different content almost every time. GB doesn't allow this. LOTR does.

Quoted from Frax:

so I give up, and putting you on ignore for a while,

524be3444681e839365eb392b23cfc33--girl-bye-get-over-it (resized).jpg524be3444681e839365eb392b23cfc33--girl-bye-get-over-it (resized).jpg

Also, Star Wars something something.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.