8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 150.
#4701 6 years ago

Unfortunately, Stern Beta code often seems to be final or near final code with a few bug fixes. I'm probably going to purchase but plan to wait until 2018. By then, we'll know the answer as to how much they've tidied up the code. Overall, the game looks great and a lot of fun although a bit overwhelming and confusing at first. It will be helpful to have a Bowen video sometime down the line to help explain the game.

#4702 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree. A lot of games stack missions along with a multiball or a general switch based mode (super ramps, super orbits, etc type "modes") but not two objective based modes at once.
Having two objective based modes running at once looks to take away from the immersion factor as neither mode can really be enjoyed. With two objective based modes running at once video and audio clips from scenes get cut short often as they are stepping on each other.

Again you can pick one or 2. Player's Choice.

Do you complain when you stack a munchkin mode with lights on crytal ball mode with emerald city multiball while having haunted forest......ah never mind

#4703 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I agree and I'm in the same boat with regards to those two games. I need to see what that hyperloop can do.

Trust me. Aerosmith is fun out of the box

#4704 6 years ago

Impressive. Most impressive.

Is there a magnet or something that speeds the ball through that loop? That ball comes flying out of there!

#4705 6 years ago

One other thing, is that like a 2 hit skill shot? I noticed the ball hits the 3 tie targets but then almost always bounced to the Force drop targets as well. That would be one heck of a combo to hit both moving targets on the launch.

#4706 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

It would be great if they replace the overlay of the Star Destroyer with another tie fighter on a couple of the missions... It looks so out of place on Hoth and the Trench run.

Sure they will do something about it, me too a few times I saw a couple of overlay that looked wrong.

At least now that I saw a video (thanks again Jack Danger) maybe Stern can hope and have a possibility to get my money.

No video......no money simple as that..... always have be always will be......but I like what I saw so far. Like so many said......playfield is really empty next to ghostbusters but still can be a great game. The flow is there and great use of the lcd techno and star wars material. So happy this is the original trilogy.....it feels right.

I can't stop looking at it and seeing my AC/DC premium. Yes both a Ritchie but tnt is that little tie fighter screen, tie fither is the hell bell, force and acdc drop target ALL at the same place. Will have to see if that blowing death star and hyperdrive worth that extra money but so far the exploding death star look really cheap and prefer the pro to that cracking egg.

Great theme
Awesome flow
Rules look really deep already on an hurly code
Music, callouts and video integration bring you in that world far far away

#4707 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I was thinking the same thing. Dwight was like a kid in a candy store with his excitement explaining the rules and the variations thereon.
He's awful proud of his work on SW and looks like rightly so.

This times a million. It's so awesome to see someone excited about their work. I'm really stoked to play Star Wars myself, especially after the Dead Flip stream last night!

#4708 6 years ago

I want to like this. I really do. I wish I felt like many of you here, but I simply can't get past a few things.

The playfield art is so so bad. Just BAD. From the almost photoshopped pics to the terrible looking inserts. I can't stand it. And that death star is an eyesore, too.

The Tie Fighter bash the button a million times thing seems tiresome and dumb to me. Every game, at least once, I will have to do that? To quote deadflip, "I wish this button did something!"

The flow is awesome looking for sure, but it seems like the game needs more. Maybe this is where the premier model will fill in the gaps?

I want to buy another NIB game, and was hoping to get wowed by this one, but I'm just so not impressed. I was debating between Ghost Busters and AS, and waited to see my thoughts on this as I LOVE Star Wars.... I'm just not impressed.

#4709 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

One other thing, is that like a 2 hit skill shot? I noticed the ball hits the 3 tie targets but then almost always bounced to the Force drop targets as well. That would be one heck of a combo to hit both moving targets on the launch.

I can't share on mobile at the time stamp, but at about 10:36 Dwight starts to share about the double skill shot and multipliers frigging cool

#4710 6 years ago

I rewatched some of it again last night and it still just seems like chaos. Ball times were longer than I expected. The animations didn't look great. The call outs were lacking and sounded more like gandalf. It's definitely fast and flowing. I actually like the art. I'm just not fully getting that wow factor yet. I'm really on the fence about my dream theme and that's surprising to me. Maybe the premium will offer more. I need to keep watching and hopefully something will click for me. Believe me, I'm wanting to love it, but I'm not there yet. I may pass on my Le and wait for a premium if I decide to go with a SW.

#4711 6 years ago

Well the Hyperloop and Exploding Death Star are really going to have to impress me, because the Pro looks like it may be the way to go-best light show yet for a Pro model.

#4712 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

it still just seems like chaos. Ball times were longer than I expected.

Let me elaborate, there are two flippers and infinite safe shots worth bank, and we watched a 15 minute ball and begged the player to let it drain intentionally during yesterday's stream. The layout is TRASH yes I am looking at my twilight zone when I say that but my Elvira and those party monster boogie dudes play better than Star Wars because I think...eatpm has a better board. Yes, I am confident in that statement...I will not replace my Elvira with stern star poop and this is coming from someone with $3k in light sabers mounted on his wall between two pinball machines.

#4713 6 years ago
Quoted from Warbleboopie:

The layout is TRASHYes, I am confident in that statement...I will not replace my Elvira with stern star poop and this is coming from someone with $3k in light sabers mounted on his wall between two pinball machines.

Prepare to be attacked, head for the hills!!!

#4714 6 years ago

The theme alone will sell a shit ton of games. From what is seen here in the video this Stern version looks to be the best Star Wars pin that's made with the Data East version right behind. Based on shooting, theme, code, visuals it's got that going for it. With Ritchie you know what you are going to get. 2 fast ramps that feed back to the flipper......we've seen this time and time again. The Pro simply has NO toys that interact with the ball, it's barren. The Premium/LE at least has an exploding Death Star and hyperspace ramp that give you some distinct ball interaction. I see some carryover similarities to GOT code, cut and paste. The John Williams music and sounds and lots of call outs from source material is a huge bonus here.

I would have thought C3PO would have been a no brainer for custom speech. Hope they still pull that off with Anthony Daniels but unlikely.

Game looks fun, will have to see where the code takes it. Congrats Stern, Steve, Dwight and team.

#4715 6 years ago

Let me elaborate, there are two flippers and infinite safe shots worth bank, and we watched a 15 minute ball and begged the player to let it drain intentionally during yesterday's stream.

You have the worlds best pinball players bashing on a factory setup and you guys are basing ball times on this??

#4716 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Again you can pick one or 2. Player's Choice.
Do you complain when you stack a munchkin mode with lights on crytal ball mode with emerald city multiball while having haunted forest......ah never mind

That's good to hear that only one mission can be picked. I think the option to pick 2 missons will result in the game playing a bit easier versus going through all individually.

I don't think stacking is an issue with WOZ as most of its modes are not story based missions with shots tied to advancing scenes from the film.

Star Wars though is filled with story based missions and having two playing at the same time results in video and audio clips being cut short as the modes step on each other. I don't think a game like Star Trek, LOTR or TH would play as well if two missions were always in play.

One benefit that I can see from having two missions in play is that it will allow players a greater chance to see one of the games 4 mini wizard modes.

#4717 6 years ago

I'm happy with what I see.

#4718 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's good to hear that only one mission can be picked. I think the option to pick 2 missons will result in the game playing a bit easier versus going through all individually.
I don't think stacking is an issue with WOZ as most of its modes are not story based missions with shots tied to advancing scenes from the film.
Star Wars though is filled with story based missions and having two playing at the same time results in video and audio clips being cut short as the modes step on each other. I don't think a game like Star Trek, LOTR or TH would play as well if two missions were always in play.
One benefit that I can see from having two missions in play is that it will allow players a greater chance to see one of the games 4 mini wizard modes.

Not familiar with the SW universe are you? Plenty of dual action scenes where one group is fighting at the same time another group is trying to figure something out to help said group in their battle. Dwight even mentioned something similar to this in the stream and correlates it to the game. Lots of other games are as consfusing as F*#% watching it from a stream; GB, AC/DC, Hobbit, WOZ all come to mind. That's the beauty of pinball, figuring out the table and the board and what to do with lots of different things to do. It's called breadth. If you want linear fashion goals, stick to hobbit, TF, STLE, or AS

#4719 6 years ago

Code looks good. Lights good. Sound and animation getting there.

Is it just me or do others prefer toys to small TV screens on the field? Wrestlemania it's boring, hobbit it's boring. That little LCD does basically nothing and is the only thing I hate about this game. Could have used it's cost in development, animations, and the unit itself and made some sort of interesting toy. Especially there where the multiplier is a magnet would have made people hesitant or reserved in building multiplier.

#4720 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You have the worlds best pinball players bashing on a factory setup and you guys are basing ball times on this??

Was that guy that had the monster game in the beginning a top player? I thought he just worked on wiring harnesses at stern?

#4721 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Code looks good. Lights good. Sound and animation getting there.
Is it just me or do others prefer toys to small TV screens on the field? Wrestlemania it's boring, hobbit it's boring. That little LCD does basically nothing and is the only thing I hate about this game. Could have used it's cost in development, animations, and the unit itself and made some sort of interesting toy. Especially there where the multiplier is a magnet would have made people hesitant or reserved in building multiplier.

There will be a lot of mods for this game. I think the small LCD is a nice touch and something different. It actually integrates into the gameplay - skill shot, tie fighters, info, etc. Looking at most of Steve Ritchie's games you don't find a lot of toys on them.

#4722 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm happy with what I see.

The game looks like it will be a blast to play, great light show, awesome music, video seems to integrate really well, lots to do.

I don't know how my wife/kids will handle the start/stop portions where you choose a character/skill and also decide between missions during play. That part looks like it will be very confusing to new players. Not confusing like normal play-field rules where you can just bash around to try and do well anyway, but more "I'm supposed to do/pick something here and I have no idea what I should do..." confusing.

It sounds like GOT is the closest to this type of rule-set? How do new/young players handle that type of play and are they still able to have FUN with it?

#4723 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I want to like this. I really do. I wish I felt like many of you here, but I simply can't get past a few things.
The playfield art is so so bad. Just BAD. From the almost photoshopped pics to the terrible looking inserts. I can't stand it. And that death star is an eyesore, too.
The Tie Fighter bash the button a million times thing seems tiresome and dumb to me. Every game, at least once, I will have to do that? To quote deadflip, "I wish this button did something!"

Maybe this could to be a game setting where you either mash the button or are given a random amount of Tie Fighters based upon how well you scored on the initial hurry up.

Rob

#4724 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe this can be a game setting too, allow mission stacking or not.

Rob

#4725 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I would have thought C3PO would have been a no brainer for custom speech. Hope they still pull that off with Anthony Daniels but unlikely.

What's wrong with Sean Connery?

Rob

#4726 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

One more comment about this: Once you diss another game and follow it with "Just finished playing my ____ and compared to that...", I stop listening because you just sound like you're defending your game (for whatever reason).
So let me try another spin on this:
Just finished playing my GOT LE, and the artwork on the SW playfield blows GOT's artwork away. Both games are fast and furious, but man am I glad the artwork on SW isn't a turd.
Just keepin' it real.

Sorry bud you're wrong. I will likely buy a premium SW, but I JUST finished playing my STLE before I came to the PC and saw the video. And yes, when compared to the last 3 pins I've bought this year (Smaug LE, STLE, and GB Prem) its hard to get excited about that artwork. I don't need to justify my purchase of my pins to you or anyone else. We love them. I support both JJP and Stern. But I'm calling a spade a spade, the artwork on this pin is average at best in my opinion. In this case I think the flow, speed, and theme will be enough to make it a great pin regardless. But oh what could and should have been with this epic title...

#4727 6 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

It sounds like GOT is the closest to this type of rule-set? How do new/young players handle that type of play and are they still able to have FUN with it?

Can only speak for my GoT and the ones on locations near me. They do fantastic on location and at my house even though people don't understand the rules they keep playing. As long as they can fall bass ackwards into modes/multiballs all will be well.

#4728 6 years ago

Show me the premium!!!
I like what I see and hear

#4729 6 years ago

The call-outs sound like the narrator from the Clone Wars cartoon. Can anyone confirm? I'm not sure that is the best fit.

With the heavy focus on space battles, I think an Ackbar sound alike would have been better.

#4730 6 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

The call-outs sound like the narrator from the Clone Wars cartoon. Can anyone confirm?

Confirmed.

#4731 6 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

I don't know how my wife/kids will handle the start/stop portions where you choose a character/skill and also decide between missions during play. That part looks like it will be very confusing to new players. Not confusing like normal play-field rules where you can just bash around to try and do well anyway, but more "I'm supposed to do/pick something here and I have no idea what I should do..." confusing.

My wife saw a little of the Star Wars video while I was watching it and after rolling her eyes about me watching people play a pinball game she started commenting on it. She really liked the idea of picking your player and paths. That way she can see more of the game instead of the same modes all the time (like in GB). She also liked the light show, the videos, etc. I don't think it'll be confusing.

She did express a desire to play as Darth Vader, but understood why they picked the other characters since the movies were from the rebels view. She thought Chewbacca should have been included somehow and if you have R2D2 you need C3PO somehow, but we figure they will probably be in the machine through the modes some for Han and R2D2.

Her final comment was when she turned to my daughter (who was rolling her eyes at both of us now) and said looks like the Star Wars pin will live in the livingroom for a long time since there is so much to do it won't get boring.

#4732 6 years ago

Good to hear. Much better choice then the Walking Dead voice actor...lol.

#4733 6 years ago

nobody thought the strobing for "escape from boba fett' mode was way too much? I enjoy the strobing WIC on GOT, but man, the boba fett is just too much, and too long.

people complaining about stacking modes or having options for 1 or none? lol, have you never played GOT?

I think this game will have short and long ball times, it happened to Jack. Sharpe and Elwin can step up to any modern stern and play 1 ball for 25 minutes...no surprise there.

Other than that, this pin looks super fun. Pumped up for the premium!

#4734 6 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

The game looks like it will be a blast to play, great light show, awesome music, video seems to integrate really well, lots to do.

They just go up and press start on GOT. The choices especially when you play as house Stark are made for you for the most part. You can make it more "complicated" if you want but it really isn't. When two houses are running at the same time, the inserts are color coded so you can easily see what shots complete which house. Most people have little to no idea what they are doing anyway when they play. GOT and this new Star Wars will both cater to new and old players alike.

We are finally seeing real evolution in the way pinball is played - through the rules - and it seems many are reacting negatively. Covering a games in toys doesn't make it good if it doesn't have solid rules to keep you engaged for a long time. Even after having GOT at home for a year I still find new ways to play and new strategies to try. You can't say that about TZ, TAF, AFW, MM, or any of the other games from that era. The programmers now are finally on a platform that is robust enough to handle these rulesets and its awesome.

Embrace the evolution!

#4735 6 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

I think it would do well on route for sure. Fast, not alot of things to break. Who doesn't like Star Wars. But, for my personal collection, not looking good.

#4736 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Was that guy that had the monster game in the beginning a top player? I thought he just worked on wiring harnesses at stern?

Thats what they said, or actually I think they said he was in charge of the area so probaby an Engineer or at lease supervisor. It did make me think "Stern... were so serious about pinball, even our janitors are ranked players" lol

#4737 6 years ago

Let me elaborate, there are two flippers and infinite safe shots worth bank.

Isn't 'Dialed In' like this too?

#4738 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Isn't 'Dialed In' like this too?

While I feel like Dialed In has a lot of safe shots, it also has a far more varied shot geometry. There is also a 3rd flipper. Magnets do create some additional chaos, but yes, Dialed In is fairly safe as well.

#4739 6 years ago

Based off a similar layout to acdc, I was surprised to see it play easier. It has to though in order to have a decent chance of mode progression. Waiting for the LE footage to decide.

#4740 6 years ago

The one thing I took away from this stream is that I love Dwight. Man, he loves what he does and he gets so excited....."F@#k.... can I say f@#k?"

#4741 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Thats what they said, or actually I think they said he was in charge of the area so probaby an Engineer or at lease supervisor. It did make me think "Stern... were so serious about pinball, even our janitors are ranked players" lol

He played well for sure

#4742 6 years ago

Having a hard time getting over the bobble head tie fighter. They really should rethink this on premium/le models. If it interacted more like a true bash toy I'd be in for one. As it is now, it feels and reacts like a cheap $5-10 mod we could have done ourselves.

I like the artwork, sounds (it's Star Wars), light show and can't wait to see death star interaction. Overall a good looking game and should be fun.

CraziLevi, would you say it shoots as smooth and easy as these guys made it look?

#4743 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Based off a similar layout to acdc, I was surprised to see it play easier. It has to though in order to have a decent chance of mode progression. Waiting for the LE footage to decide.

Games can always be made harder or easier. That's not really a concern. I personally am not a big fan of GOT rules...this looks built directly off those. Can never tell until you play it yourself though.

The sound/music/videos are awesome!

#4744 6 years ago

Not excited about what I see so far at all. Like some others have said, I really want to like it but just can't right now. I'll see how the premium/le plays but honestly the cab itself is nothing special. The Tie Fighter on a spring looks so cheap when it flops around too. There is no bigger licence out there than this. I just think this theme is deserving of more.

#4745 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Not excited about what I see so far at all. Like some others have said, I really want to like it but just can't right now. I'll see how the premium/le plays but honestly the cab itself is nothing special. The Tie Fighter on a spring looks so cheap when it flops around too. There is no bigger licence out there than this. I just think this theme is deserving of more.

The game is under the glass, not on the side of the cabinet or on the back box. I really don't know what else that you would want from a gameplay perspective? It looks fun as hell to me and the art isn't nearly as bad as what alot of people are making it out to be. My TWD and GOT Pros are both a little weak in the art department but who cares? That doesn't keep them from being two of the greatest pinball machines ever made!

#4746 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

It would be great if they replace the overlay of the Star Destroyer with another tie fighter on a couple of the missions... It looks so out of place on Hoth and the Trench run.

#4747 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thee main reason he played so well is because he was in a 1 ball multi ball anyone can do good playing a one ball multi ball making safe shots for jackpots.

#4748 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The game is under the glass, not on the side of the cabinet or on the back box. I really don't know what else that you would want from a gameplay perspective? It looks fun as hell to me and the art isn't nearly as bad as what alot of people are making it out to be. My TWD and GOT Pros are both a little weak in the art department but who cares? That doesn't keep them from being two of the greatest pinball machines ever made!

I guess I just wasn't prepared to have to settle when it came to this theme...on any aspect of the design. The pro looks fun initially but seems like it could loose it's luster rather quickly. What's under the glass looks uninspired and cheap IMO, sorry.

#4749 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Love Star Wars. WANT to love the pin. Gotta play it for a few hours somewhere.

You better hurry!! You only have 3 years to buy it while it is on the production line.

#4750 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I guess I just wasn't prepared to have to settle when it came to this theme...on any aspect of the design. The pro looks fun initially but seems like it could loose it's luster rather quickly. What's under the glass looks uninspired and cheap IMO, sorry.

No need to be sorry, everyone has a right to their opinion. I thought the game looked pretty nice and it looks like it's alot of fun. I will never own one because I have zero interest in Star Wars but if I did, I would be putting my order in today. I won't be buying but I can't wait to play one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/95?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.