8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 150.
#4151 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm definitely wanting the hyper loop, but man, is it really a $2000 option with a cracking death star. I'm not at all interested in the pro at this point, but it just got me thinking

i consider most stern pros the winning model. In this case, i feel the pro really has nothing if it doesn't have the best feature on the premiums/le, the hyper space ramp/loop. first premium i will own on preorder, but i still want to see...cough cough...some video?

#4152 6 years ago

I'm personally a fan of the premium art work, cabinet and playfield.... so I ordered one. True story.

#4153 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

The more I look at all three versions of this game, the more I wish that I could get the premium playfield features in a Pro cabinet with Pro translite.

Get both. Swap out the guts in each game and sell the pro game in a premium cabinet. That will be the "true" LE!

#4154 6 years ago

Hold on!!
Its really time to start talking about the JAWS widebody stern coming out early 2018.
I dont expect gameplay video for it till its out.

#4155 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm definitely wanting the hyper loop, but man, is it really a $2000 option with a cracking death star. I'm not at all interested in the pro at this point, but it just got me thinking

I'm leaning towards the Pro based on cost, trying to figure out if I'm losing game-play by doing so. If the play is the exact same, and the Premium just has more flash with the cracking Deathstar and ball holding Hyperloop, I think I'm fine with the Pro. If game-play is different/lacking because of these 2 omissions, I'm not sure what to do.

Would love to see more info!

#4156 6 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

I'm leaning towards the Pro based on cost, trying to figure out if I'm losing game-play by doing so. If the play is the exact same, and the Premium just has more flash with the cracking Deathstar and ball holding Hyperloop, I think I'm fine with the Pro. If game-play is different/lacking because of these 2 omissions, I'm not sure what to do.
Would love to see more info!

Yeah, we really need to see video to see what sort of interactivity is there. Maybe it's all just show. If there's a change to scoring or the rules, that really complicates the decision.

#4157 6 years ago

Stern just had a short testing video on a SW pro live on Facebook. There were callouts from the movies as well as custom callouts. Some sounded like the guy from GOT and some sounded like Yoda. There was no Death Star on the test models.

Overall I got the impression the game was a lot like Avatar in the "feel" department. Didn't seem to have a lot of music.

#4158 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Overall I got the impression the game was a lot like Avatar in the "feel" department.

Please, no. That game is a dumpster fire.

#4159 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yeah, we really need to see video to see what sort of interactivity is there. Maybe it's all just show. If there's a change to scoring or the rules, that really complicates the decision.

#4160 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Dwight introduced the 'slot awards' from the pop bumpers which is a very cool feature.

In 1995

#4161 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I tend to agree. It's hard to say though based on - again - a grainy video that was only 3 minutes long. Typically they'll post the live videos on their page so you can view them later, but this one isn't popping up.

#4162 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm not into blowing designers, but I donl;t think there's anyway SR could produce something as bad as Avatar.

#4163 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not into blowing designers, but I donl;t think there's anyway SR could produce something as bad as Avatar.

I wasn't speaking specifically about the design, but the over-all "feel" of the video. Again, it was crap footage, which is no longer on their page.

#4164 6 years ago

I don't even need to see video to know I don't want the hyper drive and really the cracking death star does nothing for me, mods will be plentiful for the Pro and it has the color changing GI, not into the wire form in front of the flippers either. Still the LE and Pre look great and if you want all that stuff its there, its nice to have options.

#4165 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

And... back to star wars. After thinking about a premium playfield in a pro body, I'm really struggling justifying how much more a premium or even Le costs. We gain what for $2-3k more over the pro. I'm definitely wanting the hyper loop, but man, is it really a $2000 option with a cracking death star. I'm not at all interested in the pro at this point, but it just got me thinking

Pro seems like the way to go here.

#4166 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't even need to see video to know I don't want the hyper drive....

Then there is truly no hope for you.

#4167 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Pro seems like the way to go here.

Gotta wait to see them in action. Pro looks like we're strictly paying for a theme. Premium offers a little more with hyper loop, but is it worth$2k? Probably not, but I'm not sure theme alone sells me the pro. We shall see.

#4168 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Gotta wait to see them in action. Pro looks like we're strictly paying for a theme. Premium offers a little more with hyper loop, but is it worth$2k? Probably not, but I'm not sure theme alone sells me the pro. We shall see.

$2k for a ball zipping around a loop above the pf with no interactivity to actual gameplay? No, not even close to worth it. I can tell you that right now.

#4169 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

$2k for a ball zipping around a loop above the pf with no interactivity to actual gameplay? No, not even close to worth it. I can tell you that right now.

Dude...it has "All new EZ Slide cabinet brackets for smooth and easy playfield access!!!!"

!!!!

#4170 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

$2k for a ball zipping around a loop above the pf with no interactivity to actual gameplay?

so basically, you would be getting a HS (pro) vs a Getaway pin (premium/le)?

#4171 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The more I see the playfield pictures, the more I am starting to agree with this. I hope the hyperdrive loop does more than we think, though. It also looks like it may block a lot of the inserts for the scoop.

I do like the return to shooter lane gate though.

#4172 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

so basically, you would be getting a HS (pro) vs a Getaway pin (premium/le)?

And HS is 10 times the game getaway is!

#4173 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Dude...it has "All new EZ Slide cabinet brackets for smooth and easy playfield access!!!!"
!!!!

I can't wait to see these cost cutters!! I'm sensing a PF peg situation all over again here.

#4174 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

And... back to star wars. After thinking about a premium playfield in a pro body, I'm really struggling justifying how much more a premium or even Le costs. We gain what for $2-3k more over the pro. I'm definitely wanting the hyper loop, but man, is it really a $2000 option with a cracking death star. I'm not at all interested in the pro at this point, but it just got me thinking

Thats why i am eyeing di. I seriously think stern said. Its in the bag with star wars and while we are at it lets raise the price again.

#4175 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Then there is truly no hope for you.

I can't argue with that but still have no time for the hyper drive.

#4176 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Thats why i am eyeing di. I seriously think stern said. Its in the bag with star wars and while we are at it lets raise the price again.

I'm looking at it too.

#4177 6 years ago

On the Permium/LE, anyone know what exactly that part of the hyperloop ramp on the top right of the playfield where it exits from behind the backboard (with the "V" shape) is? Could that be a lift-up type ball stop of some kind for a physical lock? That would be cool.

Or maybe there is a physical ball lock behind the backboard.

#4178 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Or maybe there is a physical ball lock behind the backboard.

No physical ball locks. Hyper loop is used and can store multiple balls looping but that's it.

#4179 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No physical ball locks. Hyper loop is used and can store multiple balls looping but that's it.

Shame.

Seems odd to have balls looping around the playfield repeatedly while you're trying to play the game.

A physical lock would be sweet... then shoot the balls through the loop when you start a "Death Star destruction" sequence. Or a "Death Star Destruction Multiball" sequence.

Or maybe have them also go in the opposite direction in the loop when you start an "escape from the Death Star" sequence.

#4180 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Shame.
Seems odd to have ball looping around the playfield repeatedly while you're trying to play the game.

This really summarizes the fans and detractors of Getaway. It is a big reason why people prefer High Speed or Getaway.

Fans of Getaway: it's quite the rush to see the ball speed around that loop!
Detractors of Getaway: why am I standing here doing nothing while watching the ball whiz around a loop?

We'll see if Star Wars is similar to Getaway or offers something different.

#4181 6 years ago

Think tortuga MB from POTC. That's what I think this will be.

#4182 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Shame.
Seems odd to have balls looping around the playfield repeatedly while you're trying to play the game.

Ball stalling during MB like the supercharger, or saucers in NF & T2(?).

Physical ball locks don't do anything for me.

#4183 6 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Fans of Getaway: it's quite the rush to see the ball speed around that loop!
Detractors of Getaway: why am I standing here doing nothing while watching the ball whiz around a loop?
We'll see if Star Wars is similar to Getaway or offers something different.

Even in Getaway, the looping actually meant something in the rules. It's just not looping around with no consequence. And getting more than 1 ball in there was really cool!

Rob

#4184 6 years ago

The looping actually interests me. Seems like another challenge of gameplay to stay focused on ball in play while looping balls constantly circle. I'm excited to see it. Again, without it, what else is there to really see happen on playfield.

#4185 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

From what I can see, people aren't going to buy SW because it's loaded with toys. Its biggest selling features are the theme, a fast flowing Ritchie playfield and hopefully a good ruleset from Dwight.

Even if the premium and LE play a bit different you still get all these features on the Pro.

#4186 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

From what I can see, people aren't going to buy SW because it's loaded with toys. Its biggest selling features are the theme, ...

Feel like a fly on the wall during a meeting at Stern

#4187 6 years ago

Getaway is SO AWESOME - love it!!

Oh man. Did you see sw video on face? Star wars theme, luke in his xwing on lcd screen. Shots like no fear. The mini display was nice integrated, i really liked what i saw

#4188 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Premium offers a little more with hyper loop, but is it worth$2k? Probably not, but I'm not sure theme alone sells me the pro. We shall see.

pta-attorney (resized).jpgpta-attorney (resized).jpg

#4189 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Getaway is SO AWESOME - love it!!
Oh man. Did you see sw video on face? Star wars theme, luke in his xwing on lcd screen. Shots like no fear. The mini display was nice integrated, i really liked what i saw

Where is this new video? I couldn't find on on Stern's facebook page.

#4190 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Where is this new video? I couldn't find on on Stern's facebook page.

They didn't archive it. It was live and it was cut short suddenly. They didn't save the footage.

#4191 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

hey now... I am batting over 80% on boutique games I have supported/been a fan of. At least I actually support new pinball rather than schilling for cheap crap no matter what the quality/theme.
Honest question >> Do you just prefer the 3 games per year model regarless of quality/code completion over the 1 game per year model with refined quality that appears to get better each game?
I would say folks that buy every new Stern without question are part of what will tank this all at some point. A bit more of a descerning spend is needed by both those that support the risks of boutique pinball and those that buy blindly from everything Stern pumps out.

Sorry but nobody is even close to Stern right now. I've owned games from the 2 other players that have put atleast 2 games out so far and while Stern isn't perfect they have taken care of every issue I've had (some minor and a couple quite major).

My Hobbit was far from perfect but JJp took care of the issues I had so they deserve credit for standing behind their product too.

That being said they are still way behind the game as far as being able to announce a title and getting it out in a relatively short time frame. They also don't have anything even close to a pro level stern as far as it being worth operating a JJP.

Spooky you have to give them credit for what they have been able to do but they still feel very much like home brew design and AMH was flawed by Playfield design issues while RZ layout just did nothing for me.

All that being said none of the companies are perfect but there is still only one game in town that you can pick up a phone and have quite a few titles to choose from and have the game in home in less then a couple weeks.

#4192 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

That being said they are still way behind the game as far as being able to announce a title and getting it out in a relatively short time frame.

October->June was only 9 months for JJPs Dialed In, and is a huge improvement over 2-3 years on the last two titles. If they can get the announce->release gap down to 4 months, they'll be competitive with Stern, and they're headed that direction.

#4193 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

All that being said none of the companies are perfect but there is still only one game in town that you can pick up a phone and have quite a few titles to choose from and have the game in home in less then a couple weeks.

that is blantantly false.

I can make a phone call right now and get 3 different JJP games and 2 different Spooky games in a couple weeks.

That is 5 games with 1 phone call. A few of them I could even get delivered today if I wanted to pay for it.

#4194 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I can make a phone call right now and get 3 different JJP games and 2 different Spooky games in a couple weeks.
That is 5 games with 1 phone call. A few of them I could even get delivered today if I wanted to pay for it.

Valid point. Buts it's also true that in the same period of time that those companies made a couple of games, Stern has releases a dozen or more titles.

All three companies bring something different and valuable to the hobby. It's nice that we have options.

#4195 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is 5 games with 1 phone call. A few of them I could even get delivered today if I wanted to pay for

I don't even count Spooky games yet, they all look like class projects thus far, JJP has 3 games in what 8 years sorry man but you need to let this defense rest. I'm happy we have all these boutiques and start up companies too but Stern is still the only real pinball manufacturer, not saying that won't change I hope it does.

#4196 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't even count Spooky games yet, they all look like class projects thus far, JJP has 3 games in what 8 years sorry man but you need to let this defense rest. I'm happy we have all these boutiques and start up companies too but Stern is still the only real pinball manufacturer, not saying that won't change I hope it does.

You really do live in your own little bubble, don't you?

#4197 6 years ago

IMG_6355 (resized).JPGIMG_6355 (resized).JPG

#4198 6 years ago

Meanwhile over at Stern...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4199 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Lol really? They have come out with 3 games in what 6+ years???? How many games have Stern come out with in that time frame? Dude give it a rest it's not even close.

#4200 6 years ago

Oh man. Best video ever. Did you hear the background music, so well programmed. Omg. Love star wars.

IMG_1064 (resized).PNGIMG_1064 (resized).PNG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 21.50
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.