8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 150.
#3351 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Keith Johnson is a genius at creating deep objective based rulesets as they work every feature and shot on the playfield in interesting ways. LOTR, TSPP, WOZ and TH all require the player to work the playfield in unique ways.

These games are too long to play and to go to the wizard mod. So the repetitivity effect is higher in my opinion.
I respect a game as LOTR, I owned it twice, but finally I prefer playing a brutal one BSD for exemple, with more risky/rewarding shots.

#3352 6 years ago

Topper I just saw at Lowes? Throw an LED in the globe he's holding, or paint it like the Death Star?

IMG_0774 (resized).JPGIMG_0774 (resized).JPG

#3353 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but if you're gonna do it with Stern you're probably pretty safe with Ritchie + Dwight.

Lyman and Ritchie/Borg is the only safe bet. Dwight is ramping up nicely, but Lyman is a sure thing.

#3354 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

WWE where you select a character before you play and gives you certain scoring opportunities you don't have with the other characters

There's no difference at all in who you pick for WWE aside from some callouts.

#3355 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

There's no difference at all in who you pick for WWE aside from some callouts.

You haven't played the game in awhile then with the updated code.

IMG_1086 (resized).JPGIMG_1086 (resized).JPG

IMG_1088 (resized).JPGIMG_1088 (resized).JPG

IMG_1087 (resized).JPGIMG_1087 (resized).JPG

IMG_1089 (resized).JPGIMG_1089 (resized).JPG

#3356 6 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Lyman and Ritchie/Borg is the only safe bet. Dwight is ramping up nicely, but Lyman is a sure thing.

Batman Dark Knight says there's no such thing as a sure thing.

#3357 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You haven't played the game in awhile then with the updated code.

Wait, so did the pro not have the spinning disc in the ring? I've only ever played it with that disc, so I assumed they all had it. Not that it matters, much like the WCS spinning soccer ball, it doesn't really make the ball more active like you think it would.

#3358 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can watch the screen when playing? I only get to watch the screen when it isn't my turn or a ball locks or something where I can glance up.

There is the basic cityscape but inside that there are a bunch of things going on depending on what is happening on the playfield. I really like the way its done but rarely have time to even look up when playing do to the speed and flow of dialed in.... not to mention all the magnet action. Its neat to see all the things going on when i watching another player tho

#3359 6 years ago

Was gone camping all weekend. Still no announcement on a streaming date?

#3360 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That was a Gomez layout/ design

#3361 6 years ago

That was never officially licensed. Was a genuine Aussie knock-off. Which is probably why the back glass and cabinet art is better than all other Star Wars games.

#3362 6 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Safest bet is don't order until you've played it, and assume what you played is what you'll get. Anything after that is a nice bonus.

#3363 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wait, so did the pro not have the spinning disc in the ring? I've only ever played it with that disc, so I assumed they all had it. Not that it matters, much like the WCS spinning soccer ball, it doesn't really make the ball more active like you think it would.

No spinning disc. It was cut out of the pro version and only in the LE.

#3364 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

These games are too long to play and to go to the wizard mod. So the repetitivity effect is higher in my opinion.
I respect a game as LOTR, I owned it twice, but finally I prefer playing a brutal one BSD for exemple, with more risky/rewarding shots.

Agreed, even if there is some story behind hitting "three greens then two reds and then the flashing arrow" there is no denying the repetitiveness of basically all super-deep games. I can only chop wood so much without getting bored. I've owned LOTR and played it for the excitement. I never even tried to get to Valinor. I never even checked the instant info or investigated what it takes to get there. Same with WPT. One of my favorite games, but I played for the fun of slaying the 16 drop targets, crisp as butter SR designed shots and cool modes. Never even tried or thought about making it to the Keefer Invitational once I got a whiff of all repetitive stuff it takes to get there. Way, way, way too much wood chopping in either game to make getting to the end something I am interested in. I would rather leave it set up difficult with factory settings, tight tilt, wide open out lanes and keep the games to less than ten minutes. That is why I much prefer the rules in IM to either of those games. The saving grace of Keith's games is that you can still have fun playing them (except WOZzzz) even if you aren't going in for a one hour marathon.

#3365 6 years ago

I'm one that prefers quest style code. I don't care about a high score outside of a tournament, so I need a bigger objective. I definitely prefer Keith's games. Woz, Hobbit, tspp and others give me objectives that an average player like myself can always aim for and will probably never fully see everything. Now that said, they are long games, and I like to mix it up with a good ass kicking sometimes from my acdc or Metallica. I'm really hoping SW is the best of both with a quest type code, but not overly long play time. I find myself playing the short acdc Metallica style the most, but prefer the mode based games in the long run.

#3366 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm one that prefers quest style code. I don't care about a high score outside of a tournament, so I need a bigger objective. I definitely prefer Keith's games. Woz, Hobbit, tspp and others give me objectives that an average player like myself can always aim for and will probably never fully see everything. Now that said, they are long games, and I like to mix it up with a good ass kicking sometimes from my acdc or Metallica. I'm really hoping SW is the best of both with a quest type code, but not overly long play time. I find myself playing the short acdc Metallica style the most, but prefer the mode based games in the long run.

Kinda sounds to me like you're expecting too much, in my opinion. I hope you're not disappointed.
While I dont have any idea of how code will go, this playfield layout is very similar to ACDC.
I'm hoping that this will be closest to Met/ACDC in terms of speed and flow and doubt that it will be a game anywhere near to TSPP, WoZ, Hobbit, etc.
You sure you're not better off with a Dialed In? Seems to me DI might be a better fit for your tastes.

#3367 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Safest bet is don't order until you've played it, and assume what you played is what you'll get. Anything after that is a nice bonus.

Why are you being so damn logical lol

#3368 6 years ago

Just watched the Steve Ritchie video from yesterday again and am wondering why noone is freaking out in regards how the hyperloop works?

I got that it works with 4 magnets. But what I din't get was that the ball spins around the game the whole time while you can still shoot more balls via the ramp beneath the Death Star into the loop. So you're constantly having a bunch of balls looping around while you play. How can someone say SW has no physical ball lock?! This is the coolest ball lock of all time +20% !!!

I could slap myself for ordering the pro. XD

And on a site note: Everone got that the LE will have completely different plastics then the Premium, by order of Lucasfilm?

#3369 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Your goals are sort of mutually exclusive. Quest games by their nature are longer playing games. In fast playing games, the goals are normally made difficult by the short play. Do or Die hurry up in IM is a great example. It's difficult because the game is brutal. But that isn't a quest. MET is a great combination game with bash toys leading to quick stuff, but also having CIU for the deeper run.

#3370 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Just watched the Steve Ritchie video from yesterday again and am wondering why noone is freaking out in regards how the hyperloop works?
I got that it works with 4 magnets. But what I din't get was that the ball spins around the game the whole time while you can still shoot more balls via the ramp beneath the Death Star into the loop. So you're constantly having a bunch of balls looping around while you play. How can someone say SW has no physical ball lock?! This is the coolest ball lock of all time +20% !!!
And on a site note: Everone got that the LE will have completely different plastics then the Premium, by order of Lucasfilm?

^^^^ this exactly. Assuming the balls and wireform arent in the way and a nuisance during gameplay, this ball lock (if that's what it ends up being) could be epic. I'd rather have one really amazing toy/mech in a game than a bunch of stuff everybody has seen before.

#3371 6 years ago

Read the last few pages of the thread, didn't see any mention of new game play video's, seems like there would of been some out by now. I've only seen the trailer video and gary stern and a UK distributor talking in another video not much to go on.

#3372 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

^^^^ this exactly. Assuming the balls and wireform arent in the way and a nuisance during gameplay, this ball lock (if that's what it ends up being) could be epic. I'd rather have one really amazing toy/mech in a game than a bunch of stuff everybody has seen before.

NASCAR. Seen it. Not on a wireform, but still. If it really is constantly circulating the balls, I can see where that could be annoying.

#3373 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Read the last few pages of the thread, didn't see any mention of new game play video's, seems like there would of been some out by now. I've only seen the trailer video and gary stern and a UK distributor talking in another video not much to go on.

Nope - as far as I know, the one show at which a Pro was displayed didn't allow video. So just the one Stern-released video.

#3374 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Dead flip. Next week I believe.

#3375 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Kinda sounds to me like you're expecting too much, in my opinion. I hope you're not disappointed.
While I dont have any idea of how code will go, this playfield layout is very similar to ACDC.
I'm hoping that this will be closest to Met/ACDC in terms of speed and flow and doubt that it will be a game anywhere near to TSPP, WoZ, Hobbit, etc.
You sure you're not better off with a Dialed In? Seems to me DI might be a better fit for your tastes.

I don't think I'm hoping for more than what it really is. I prefer the quest games long term, but still love acdc Metallica style. I'm hoping for a combination similar to where you are progressing through the 3 movies with the final wizard mode destroying the death star. My family is a SW house hold, so regardless of style, we're going to love this game. I do honestly like the di gameplay, but it's not star wars. So far, it sounds like a good amount of modes and multi balls with one final wizard mode, so I'm crossing my fingers that it is very immersive.

#3376 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

NASCAR. Seen it. Not on a wireform, but still. If it really is constantly circulating the balls, I can see where that could be annoying.

Forgot about that one. At least SW didnt shrink the entire playfield to make room for it. The orbiting balls tie in nicely with a space theme.

#3377 6 years ago

Seeing the rejected cabinet decals wich scream "speed" & Weltraumschlachten I think the Hyperloop is kinda SUPPOSED to irritate you aka. get the pulse and adrenaline up.

You are in a space battle with a bunch of X-Wing swirling around the Death Star.
And of course in every battle you have friends running in your sight.

It's like constant multiball in your sight but you have just one Ball you have to keep track of and control.

You have to concentrate.

The more I envision it the more I like the game.
Forget all the toys, the game really is all about (Light-)speed.

#3378 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

One of my favorite innovations in pinball. Cannot remember any other game before it doing something like that. Makes for great variety in gameplay once you learn all the rules of the game.

Not sure if anyone has said it yet, but Dr. Who did it first.

#3379 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Agreed, even if there is some story behind hitting "three greens then two reds and then the flashing arrow" there is no denying the repetitiveness of basically all super-deep games.

My biggest issue with these pins is that there's not enough behind all the Shoot The Arrow. Not enough story, not enough callouts, not enough character or humor. GOT is astonishingly dry, even when I watch someone totally own it like a boss it's like they're playing sudoku via pinball. Where's the story? Where's the world under the glass? It's all about multipliers and numbers and that's soul-crushing.

#3380 6 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Not sure if anyone has said it yet, but Dr. Who did it first.

What the heck, why not a Time Expander on Star Wars? One of the coolest toys in pinball stuck on a mediocre game.

#3381 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

It's all about multipliers and numbers and that's soul-crushing.

Pursuit of the Iron Throne is not for the weak.

#3382 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That was Gomez design. BDK last code actually improved the game a lot, but not enough to keep it in my collection (And I'm a big comic fan)

Quoted from Aurich:

Totally agree! No more getting caught up in the hype tornado. Wait, play and then buy to enjoy. Need to earn my money now with complete code.

#3383 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

My biggest issue with these pins is that there's not enough behind all the Shoot The Arrow. Not enough story, not enough callouts, not enough character or humor. GOT is astonishingly dry, even when I watch someone totally own it like a boss it's like they're playing sudoku via pinball. Where's the story? Where's the world under the glass? It's all about multipliers and numbers and that's soul-crushing.

"Somethings coming and it aint winter" the Hound GOT pinball....

#3384 6 years ago

Interesting discussion with Steve Ritchie on StarWars at the NWPAS, and including the art direction. As I expected Lucas Film really put the screws to limit options, however I think they helped in some other ways.

"photoshop' came up and they claim it is all hand drawn. I would argue its more like photoshop filter and embellished directly from stills. Not drawn, IMO. Seeing some of it up close I hate it bit less, but will say it looks like a fun game to play. Steve also explains the hyper loop, sounds like a more interesting highspeed supercharger, bet its a blast to when in play.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/150884884

#3385 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Personally, I don't see any reason for ordering SW at this point in time - why not wait until you can play-test it and go from there?

Anyway, you should be able to easily change it to Prem., no?

#3386 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

"photoshop' came up and they claim it is all hand drawn. I would argue its more like photoshop filter and embellished directly from stills.

It's definitely hand-drawn, it's just (almost certainly) taken directly from stills, which means there's not much embellishment, abstraction, or general liveliness you get in a drawing constructed from references, as opposed to what was probably traced.

#3387 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

It's definitely hand-drawn, it's just (almost certainly) taken directly from stills, which means there's not much embellishment, abstraction, or general liveliness you get in a drawing constructed from references, as opposed to what was probably traced.

Yeah its the same stuff we've seen since the late 70's on kids lunchboxes so it's hard to get excited about.

Not being a big SW buff I just always assumed the art HAD to be kinda campy and family friendly but then I see some of the "attitude" that can be applied to it on comic books, etc..

Would have been cool if Stern had used some art with *attitude* on this machine but I guess playing it safe is the name of the game. Trying to appeal to the largest possible audience and using nostalgia is to be expected I suppose. Still...

#3388 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah its the same stuff we've seen since the late 70's on kids lunchboxes so it's hard to get excited about.
Not being a big SW buff I just always assumed the art HAD to be kinda campy and family friendly but then I see some of the "attitude" that can be applied to it on comic books, etc..
Would have been cool if Stern had used some art with *attitude* on this machine but I guess playing it safe is the name of the game. Trying to appeal to the largest possible audience and using nostalgia is to be expected I suppose. Still...

If you read above they weren't really given the freedom from Disney to be too creative.

#3389 6 years ago

If they didn't have the freedom from Disney, why would you stick to making something average. With the last few releases Stern has been making some nice games, this seems to be a step backwards. With the amount of rumored titles Stern has in the pipeline why didn't they just jump on to another title and that would give time for them to negotiate more with Disney to try and get something better happening? As now as Stern probably predicted instead of people talking about the game and the hype, everyone is focused on how average the art work is which is what everyone first sees. It doesn't really help that their isn't good footage out there showing the machine which allows people to judge the game more based on the gameplay.

#3390 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Steve mentioned in his seminar that the player has to choose a character at the beginning of the game, like on GoT. I found that a horrible feature on GoT. Never watched the show, so have no clue what to choose. Same with SW. Never watched the movies, so probably not a game for me. I seriously wonder how adding such choices to the game is helping novice players to appreciate it.

Hahaha, and you have a pinball magazine. Don't you have to do your homework for your magazine?.

#3391 6 years ago
Quoted from packards34:

If they didn't have the freedom from Disney, why would you stick to making something average. With the last few releases Stern has been making some nice games, this seems to be a step backwards. With the amount of rumored titles Stern has in the pipeline why didn't they just jump on to another title and that would give time for them to negotiate more with Disney to try and get something better happening? As now as Stern probably predicted instead of people talking about the game and the hype, everyone is focused on how average the art work is which is what everyone first sees. It doesn't really help that their isn't good footage out there showing the machine which allows people to judge the game more based on the gameplay.

Have you played ACDC?
Playfield artwork alone does not make/break a game.

#3392 6 years ago

Man I am so glad that artwork means next to nothing to me when it comes to pinball machines. Haha. I would've thought we would be speculating about gameplay and other features of the game way more than artwork. That's what makes a game fun and worth owning imo.

#3393 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Really? With a game like WOZ, LOTR, and TH (not sure about TSPP) there's a mid wizard mode for completing a set number of tasks. With ACDC and Metallica there is just the main wizard mode which a vast majority of players will never reach.

I think it's awesome how Keith puts a mid wizard mode into his games that is a challenge to reach but can be done by a good number of players while at the same time having a final wizard mode for experts. When I owned ACDC I realized I'll never finish all 12 songs to reach Encore, that's a game that would have benefited greatly from a mini wizard mode for say completing 6 songs.

It's the overarching goals of Keiths games that I think make his rulsets stand out. It sounds like Star Wars will have an overarching objective based ruleset.

#3394 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

When I owned ACDC I realized I'll never finish all 12 songs to reach Encore, that's a game that would have benefited greatly from a mini wizard mode for say completing 6 songs.

Like a...cannon mode?

trolololololo

#3395 6 years ago

I missed the SR interview thing. Anyone have the page it was posted to or the link? I've scrolled and scrolled and can't find it. thanks!

#3396 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I missed the SR interview thing. Anyone have the page it was posted to or the link? I've scrolled and scrolled and can't find it. thanks!

Starts at 1h30.

#3397 6 years ago
Quoted from SChlafi:

» YouTube video
Starts at 1h30.

Thank you

#3398 6 years ago

Wow, whomever filmed that was excellent. Super nice quality for everyone that couldn't make it. Many thanks.

Quoted from SChlafi:

» YouTube video
Starts at 1h30.

#3399 6 years ago

Love the idea of having a 40 screen gameplay tutorial on the LCD, hopefully that is well done.

#3400 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Man I am so glad that artwork means next to nothing to me when it comes to pinball machines. Haha. I would've thought we would be speculating about gameplay and other features of the game way more than artwork. That's what makes a game fun and worth owning imo.

Yeah, at 4K I didn't really care too much.

At 8K-9K, I tend to care.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 21.50
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.