8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 150.
#3201 6 years ago

Love that pro concept backglass!

Rob

#3202 6 years ago
Quoted from c3trey:

Anybody monitoring this thread might watch to fire up the livestream for the NW pinball show. Steve is speaking live right now and sounds like it's going to be all about Star Wars and how it came together.
https://www.twitch.tv/nwpinballarcadeshow

Also here:
Youtube https://gaming.youtube.com/balliswild
Facebook Live - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000628119919

That promo video looked good.

#3203 6 years ago

"Gary has a problem with anything that costs money that goes into the game. Just kidding."

Makes me wonder how many internal struggles Steve had making this. Sounded like a bit of frustration.

#3204 6 years ago

Jesus Christ people, ask some questions about Star Wars!

#3205 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

"Gary has a problem with anything that costs money that goes into the game. Just kidding."
Makes me wonder how many internal struggles Steve had making this. Sounded like a bit of frustration.

Sounds like Stern also had some 'challenges' with the licensor.

Rob

#3206 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Jesus Christ people, ask some questions about Star Wars!

Someone ask if the tie fighter is just a bobble device or does a coil activate it.

Ask who does the custom call outs. Any one from the movies or an impersonator impersonating characters from the movies, or just a generic voice.

Is there a physical ball lock in or behind deathstar on LE/Prem or Pro?

#3207 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Sounds like Stern also had some 'challenges' with the licensor.
Rob

Which is sad because it's probably a shadow of what Steve really wanted to do with it.

#3208 6 years ago

Were the four characters (sans 3PO and Chewie) dictated by Lucas Film or was that a Stern decision?

#3209 6 years ago

<groan> Opportunity wasted. :-/

#3210 6 years ago

Got my question in about the Death Star. Pro ... Nothing. Premium / LE ... opens with that color changing LED.

#3211 6 years ago

SR was very weak on discussing the pin and how it plays.

Start spilling your guts and selling it versus waiting for stupid questions.

#3212 6 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

Anyone not Stern cannot speak with authority. My guess is that you start the attack run with some combination, and the ramp just comes up. So ball velocity would determine a successful shot. But that's my guess - we won't know until Stern speaks or we see it on Deadflip.

Sounds like this is confirmed - that's basically how Steve said it works in his presentation for the NW Pinball Arcade stream.

#3213 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Someone ask if the tie fighter is just a bobble device or does a coil activate it.
Ask who does the custom call outs. Any one from the movies or an impersonator impersonating characters from the movies, or just a generic voice.
Is there a physical ball lock in or behind deathstar on LE/Prem or Pro?

There's a coil on the Tie Fighter.

There's no physical ball locks on any model. The ball is held on the loop behind the death star for mission select (I think) and video mode. The only thing closely resembling a ball lock would be adding balls to the hyperloop, but they don't stay in there indefinitely

Rob

#3214 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He even called it Star Trek!

Rob

#3215 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

That was painful

#3216 6 years ago

Well that was a waste of time. I asked who was doing the custom callouts in the twitch feed, but they didn't ask him. Don't understand the secrecy. Talk the game up, give some details

#3217 6 years ago

He seemed more interested in joking around than actually sharing information. The video was all I think we were ever really going to get, and even that was basically just the IGN video director's cut.

#3218 6 years ago

He did, at least, say they were going into production in about a week, and that we'd be surprised how complete the code is.

He also said that Lucasfilm was a pain in the ass with the art, but did basically nothing that affected gameplay; that they built the game they wanted from the beginning. So, whether or not you like it, it was the vision Ritchie had.

#3219 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

There's a coil on the Tie Fighter.
There's no physical ball locks on any model. The ball is held on the loop behind the death star for mission select (I think) and video mode. The only thing closely resembling a ball lock would be adding balls to the hyperloop, but they don't stay in there indefinitely
Rob

Thanks for the info. I thought the fork ramp on LE/Premium might lock the balls in death star. Sounds like they just feed the hyperpace loop when its active.

In the stream Steve said there were 3 or 4 magnets to make the hyper loop work so I guess they used up their magnet budget on that instead of putting some under the playfield. I think magna slings similar to ghost busters would have been great on this game. lots of cool force tricks you could play with them.

#3220 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well that was a waste of time. I asked who was doing the custom callouts in the twitch feed, but they didn't ask him. Don't understand the secrecy. Talk the game up, give some details

Knowing who does the custom call outs would be great. I wonder if they are using an impersonator like they did for other Disney licenses (Pirates of Caribbean and Avengers) or just go with a generic voice like in Walking Dead or computery sounding lady from Tron.

#3221 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Thanks for the info. I thought the fork ramp on LE/Premium might lock the balls in death star. Sounds like they just feed the hyperpace loop when its active.

Correct, that's how it works. I don't know where the hyperspace loop exit is though, maybe behind the death star to the left ramp? Right ramp would have too much velocity I think.

Rob

#3222 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

In the stream Steve said there were 3 or 4 magnets to make the hyper loop work so I guess they used up their magnet budget on that instead of putting some under the playfield. I think magna slings similar to ghost busters would have been great on this game. lots of cool force tricks you could play with them.

How can you say what "would have been" cool when no one has even flipped the game? Maybe it shoots great without magnets...Can't we save that until after we play?

#3223 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Quoted from paynemic:

That was painful

It was actually Greg that made that faux paus, I think Steve just carried on with it slyly...

Rob

#3224 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

How can you say what "would have been" cool when no one has even flipped the game? Maybe it shoots great without magnets...Can't we save that until after we play?

Because more possibility is better than less? It will probably shoot great, still, would have been cool to have extra magnet to add even more to the game.

#3225 6 years ago
Quoted from SChlafi:

Because more possibility is better than less? It will probably shoot great, still, would have been cool to have extra magnet to add even more to the game.

Totally understand. I just want to see the game play as it was designed before I decide it is missing anything. I know we all have our wish lists going in.

#3226 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I'm sure it will shoot great with or without magnets since its a SR game and his is the king of flow.

I just think a force effect using magnets on the playfield would be a great fit with the theme. I think most everyone would agree that it would have been a cool feature even if they haven't flipped the game yet. More icing on the star wars cake.

cake (resized).jpgcake (resized).jpg

#3227 6 years ago

I like this concept backglass a lot... The side panels are very good as well...

Rob

pro (resized).jpgpro (resized).jpg

#3228 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I like this concept backglass a lot...
Rob

Agreed. I like a lot of the concept art better than where things landed. Thanks Disney.

#3229 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I like this concept backglass a lot...
Rob

Why the hell wouldn't Stern have gone with that design??

#3230 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I think most everyone would agree that it would have been a cool feature even if they haven't flipped the game yet. More icing on the star wars cake.

4 big magnets driving the hyperloop is a lot of hardware to do that. I think there must be a bit of cost in that design..

Rob

#3231 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

If you watch the video, Lucas wasn't very easy to deal with in regards to the art. They rejected a lot.

Rob

#3232 6 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

"Real Talk." Is there an ability to stack Han with Leia

PHRASING!

#3233 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

They submitted that to Disney. Check out the seminar if you have time.

#3234 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've never had a 45 minute game. Its obvious you know nothing about the games deep objective based rulset.

This is one of the most moronic things I've ever seen you say, man. Really? Someone doesn't understand the rules because YOU haven't had a 45 minute game? How do you think *WE* -----====ARE====----- having 45 minute games? We're locking mode balls left and right, stacking multiballs, getting add-a-balls off the spot target and Into the Fire and Barrel Escape... MY GOD THE GAME HANDS YOU MORE BALLS THAN YOU GET IN HYPERBALL FFFS...ON A SILVER PLATTER....

The real question is how are you NOT having 45 minute games?!?

I was at a private owner's house the other day helping him fix another game, and his like 5 or 6 year old daughter played ball 1, I played ball 2 and got all the way effectively from the start of the game -1 mode to making 3 unsuccessful kill shots on Smaug (monsters were up...ugh..) and then Into the Fire and COMPLETING it and shooting victory laps for a minute. I didn't even play ball 3 because I was just tired and needed to get home.

#3235 6 years ago

After they showed the concept back glass art of falcon cockpit view, Steve said something about trying to light it up?

I wonder if he means some kind of animated light show with the LE back glass to make it look like you make the jump to light speed.

#3236 6 years ago

More concept art. Hoth seems to have been originally intended for the pro, but obviously is the premium now.

pro2 (resized).jpgpro2 (resized).jpg

pro3 (resized).jpgpro3 (resized).jpg

#3237 6 years ago

That had to be the biggest waste of time ever

Wtf was that?

Why send those guys to the NW other than for a vacation

I'm sure the "cancer" that is Pinside merely speaks the truth in this case

Absolutely horrendous, while funny, I could care less about Black Knight or the replay of the SW video they showed.

Artwork replay was horrible. Get to the next slide please

And take your sunglasses off when you are giving a presentation.

Pinball people are the absolute worst marketing people on the planet

#3238 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

After they showed the concept back glass art of falcon cockpit view, Steve said something about trying to light it up?
I wonder if he means some kind of animated light show with the LE back glass to make it look like you make the jump to light speed.

I missed that part. That's what everyone thought when they first saw the LE translite. I guess it didn't make the cut...

Rob

#3239 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And take your sunglasses off when you are giving a presentation.

He needs them for his eyes I think. He mentioned something about that.

Rob

#3240 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I missed that part. That's what everyone thought when they first saw the LE translite. I guess it didn't make the cut...
Rob

I guess you are right. If it was the case, the other translites wouldn't come with the LE.

#3241 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Again, no offense to SR. Marketing/PR continues to be a Stern weakness. So many small things they can do - that don't cost practically anything.

Steve should be up there prepped by marketing department (talking points):

1. Top questions community is asking about - here's the quick answers
2. Top features and why I designed them
3. Some tickler of things we're revealing here for the first time

Generate excitement at every speaking opportunity - promoting the features, rules, functions of your new game. It's a free commercial.

Again, volunteering Stern. I just won an industry award this past week in Detroit. Happy to help you guys - you know pinball, some other people know marketing. Take the help.

#3242 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

very time I see it at league someone is playing Who Brought the Dog.

Please send these guys to our league to boost our points for a few weeks. I'll be happy to personally eliminate them and show them how to play the game correctly.

#3243 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This is one of the most moronic things I've ever seen you say, man. Really? Someone doesn't understand the rules because YOU haven't had a 45 minute game? How do you think *WE* -----====ARE====----- having 45 minute games? We're locking mode balls left and right, stacking multiballs, getting add-a-balls off the spot target and Into the Fire and Barrel Escape... MY GOD THE GAME HANDS YOU MORE BALLS THAN YOU GET IN HYPERBALL FFFS...ON A SILVER PLATTER....
The real question is how are you NOT having 45 minute games?!?
I was at a private owner's house the other day helping him fix another game, and his like 5 or 6 year old daughter played ball 1, I played ball 2 and got all the way effectively from the start of the game -1 mode to making 3 unsuccessful kill shots on Smaug (monsters were up...ugh..) and then Into the Fire and COMPLETING it and shooting victory laps for a minute. I didn't even play ball 3 because I was just tired and needed to get home.

After cancelling my order twice, I played one at my friend's house a couple of months ago. One game, and it must have been about a half hour long with about 6 balls...and I put the GC score up. Pretty easy game...

#3244 6 years ago

Please let Badbilly F ing help

Zero excitement

Terrible presentation

Call it like I see it

#3245 6 years ago

It sounds to me like if the Hyperspace loop has 4 magnets it's meant to run continuously for a bit. The Getaway supercharger is only 3 magnets, but the Hyperspace loop is SUBSTANTIALLY longer it looks like.. so....needs 4 magnets, and I bet it still won't get close to Supercharger speeds. Boo. :\

#3246 6 years ago

I have an opportunity to get in on an LE, can't decide if I want it though. The LE really has nothing more than the Premium except the side rails. And I like the premium art better too, plus if I go the premium route I can wait a while to see how the game play, quality and code all shake out. Thoughts?

#3247 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Please let Badbilly F ing help
Zero excitement
Terrible presentation
Call it like I see it

It think it was even worse in person.

I would have left a couple hours earlier if I'd realized how bad it would be. (To be fair, I got there way too early, which was nobody's fault but mine).

#3248 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I have an opportunity to get in on an LE, can't decide if I want it though. The LE really has nothing more than the Premium except the side rails. And I like the premium art better too, plus if I go the premium route I can wait a while to see how the game play, quality and code all shake out. Thoughts?

Sounds like your decision is made, Go Premium HUO.

#3249 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

2nd it.. Go Premium if you don't need the LE. Personally I'll be getting a premium.

#3250 6 years ago

Is no one concerned about the hyper ramp so close to the flippers? I mean obviously no one knows yet for sure but I want the Pre I just can't get past that, looks obstructive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.