8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 150.
#3151 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Lowest cost of goods? Maybe, but look at the underside of a Rob Zombie or a Jetsons playfield. Both of these cost more than a Stern pro and don't have equal mechs / features of a Stern Aerosmith or Star Wars. Not even close. I like Spooky a lot, and understand they don't have a the scale of Stern, but Stern is really the only game in town at that price point. 85+% market share.

Yeah but the powder coating on RZ is top quality.

And the real backglass is light years better than a Stern translite.

But AS Pro is the best value pin by a mile at the moment.

#3152 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Lol - seriously ?? You want to compare those games with DI? Well let's just compare the model of Jack Guarneri going across your playfield in a hard hat with Indiana Jones? Now you have your answer. I bought RS for my kids and I guess I might trade that one for DI but that would be it.

Why would you trade that "packed" RS $3k Bally pin for DI?

Talk about an awesome Lawlor layout. Pure genius

#3153 6 years ago

Man, I can't wait to get this F'ing pin! I had a chance at the LE, but opted for the premium.

#3154 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And the real backglass is light years better than a Stern translite.

I love a real backglass. Btw ASLE is real and gorgeous!

#3155 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why would you trade that "packed" RS $3k Bally pin for DI?
Talk about an awesome Lawlor layout. Pure genius

Yeah your right. Sorry those that PMed me the offer is off the table now.

#3156 6 years ago

A lot of people are complaining how stripped Star Wars is mechanics wise (toys). I wonder if Steve Ritchie and Stern wanted Star Wars to be a simpler game to help operating the machine have less technical issues and be more robust on the street. Doesn't look like a lot can go wrong on the machine besides the basic stuff. Star Wars license is going to go over well with the public on location I predict and it will be a great earner. If it has less break downs, operators will have a better return on investment.

#3157 6 years ago

Hobbit LE prices, or any of them because there really isn't an LE, are now in the $6500 to $7000 range on the secondary market.

People selling to buy other pins. That kind of speaks for itself doesn't it.

BOM just doesn't matter that much in the pecking order of pinball fun.

#3158 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

A lot of people are complaining how stripped Star Wars is mechanics wise (toys). I wonder if Steve Ritchie and Stern wanted Star Wars to be a simpler game to help operating the machine have less technical issues and be more robust on the street. Doesn't look like a lot can go wrong on the machine besides the basic stuff. Star Wars license is going to go over well with the public on location I predict and it will be a great earner. If it has less break downs, operators will have a better return on investment.

Good point. It's not fun to find a machine in the wild that doesn't work properly.

#3161 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Still doesnt mean that the price is not inflated.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you buy one. Let me know when you find a new pinball machine under $5200.

#3162 6 years ago

I love Admiral Akbar.... I want this BADLY....

(resized).jpg (resized).jpg

#3163 6 years ago

Could someone please explain what the jump ramp does in the LE/premium?

#3164 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Think of the big picture and how it will potentially present in the game - I'm thinking the GI goes dark, the flashers inside the "egg" flash like crazy as it explodes, accompanied by big sound effects and music - and perhaps an outward insert sweep to simulate the explosion effect. It'll probably look/feel cool. Think about MM - the castle explosion would be pretty lame without the lights and sounds, right?

I hope you're right. The less we see of the egg shell cracking open the better. Emphasize the lighting explosion effects.

Hopefully Dwight agrees.

#3165 6 years ago

I found a photo of what it looks like when you activate all 9 multi-balls at once...

SW balls (resized).jpgSW balls (resized).jpg

#3166 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Could someone please explain what the jump ramp does in the LE/premium?

I think it launches the ball up into the hyperloop to set up the Death Star multiball, though I don't know that anyone has seen one to verify that.

#3167 6 years ago

Any word if the 9 multiballs are part of the 16 mission modes and 1 wizard mode? I'm thinking that the 16 main modes are 4 for each quadrant. The main insert for each quadrant may be a multiball so that could be 4 / 9 multiballs right there. Then there's Death Star and and Jedi multiball. There's 6 of 9. Wizard mode would be 7 / 9.

#3168 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Does Stern have a marketing department???

Marketing advisory board - offering to help.

#3169 6 years ago

Just like you can't use the BOM to measure fun you can't use the number of modes either. Hobbit has more modes than any game ever, that doesn't mean much to me though. Star Trek has 18 modes, but the reason I sold it is they all felt pretty much the same to me. SKB can explain why I'm wrong, but it still felt that way!

Are the 16 modes actually unique? Are they ladders like Ghostbusters where you're playing them in the same order every time? That's my personal turn off with Ghostbusters, every time I see it at league someone is playing Who Brought the Dog.

Same token, number of toys doesn't equal a fun equation either. AFM is a brilliant game, not much to look at at first glance.

Nothing about Star Wars excites me now, but let's see the video of gameplay and actually learn how it works. I might change my mind once the meat is revealed.

#3170 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Are the 16 modes actually unique?

That's the key, they need to be, and i would guess they are with the 4 character play.

Surely Dwight won't do a 4 character 4 mode each ladder?

I think it works on GB myself, I like it, its not RS linear, however, i don't want to see a ST mode game or a linear ladder either.

#3171 6 years ago

Never take pinball advice from Ice

He bought a Bowel Movement 66..... & then later on a GBLE during the play field meltdown. So he's a Stern soldier no matter what they do.

In the past he preordered games that were like 3 years behind schedule (WOZ & TH). Then the dude preorders TBL, Predator & Atomic Zombies... All he needs to do now is put in an Alien preorder & send kickstarter funds to Vonnie D

Also he's from Texas

Maybe a lawyer too

No thanks Ice lol

#3172 6 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

I think it launches the ball up into the hyperloop to set up the Death Star multiball, though I don't know that anyone has seen one to verify that.

Is it launching up from the speed of a shot by the player, or is it throwing the ball with a coil sort of like a catapult?

#3173 6 years ago
Quoted from thearcadegeek:

I found a photo of what it looks like when you activate all 9 multi-balls at once...

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Any word if the 9 multiballs are part of the 16 mission modes and 1 wizard mode? I'm thinking that the 16 main modes are 4 for each quadrant. The main insert for each quadrant may be a multiball so that could be 4 / 9 multiballs right there. Then there's Death Star and and Jedi multiball. There's 6 of 9. Wizard mode would be 7 / 9.

Where did the 9 ball multiball come from? It says in the game matrix that 6 balls can be in play simultaneously...
Did I miss something?

#3174 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

He bought a Bowel Movement 66..... & then later on a GBLE during the play field meltdown. So he's a Stern soldier no matter what they do.
In the past he preordered games that were like 3 years behind schedule (WOZ & TH). Then the dude preorders TBL, Predator & Atomic Zombies... All he needs to do now is put in an Alien preorder & send kickstarter funds to Vonnie D
Also he's from Texas
Maybe a lawyer too
No thanks Ice lol

Ummm....he is in on Alien.

#3175 6 years ago

I dont think its a 9 ball multiball, there are 9 different multiballs. Maybe I'm wrong

#3176 6 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

Where did the 9 ball multiball come from? It says in the game matrix that 6 balls can be in play simultaneously...
Did I miss something?

Neither one of those posts mention a 9 ball multiball.

#3177 6 years ago

Modes! oops, just ignore me...

#3178 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Ummm....he is in on Alien.

Lol well then

#3179 6 years ago

Hobbit is beautiful, I was in on a Smaug, and then I played it a bunch two years ago at NWPAS and...ho hum. Sold my spot.

Dialed In is packed. Very pretty to look at, but played it several times today at NWPAS and...ho hum. They have that huge LCD and it's basically showing a boring Sim City from the 90s, and I didn't find the game play engaging at all.

I've been rooting for JJP since the beginning, but they've yet to put out a game I really wanted to play over and over again. (It probably doesn't help that the flippers always suck at shows on JJP's games).

I've played several of the newer Sterns at NWPAS today and have enjoyed them all. Their LCD screens are smaller, but the picture feels higher quality and the content is far more engaging.

It's all about what you value. Fun, for me, is getting lost in the game, being disappointed when the last ball drains, and itching to push start again even with the wife yelling we should have left 15 minutes ago. It's not about the toys, but the sights and sounds and gameplay. I get that from a lot of the 90's classics, and I get that with some of the newer Sterns.

Do I wish there was more on the playfield? Yep. Do I think it's going to be fun and let me lose myself in the sights and sounds of nostalgia? Yep.

Does my wife think I'm crazy for buying an LE? Absolutely!

Now I'm just hoping that SR has some interesting new information this afternoon. The only Star Wars here so far is a big poster of the feature matrix at the Marco booth.

#3180 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Also he's from Texas
Maybe a lawyer too
No thanks Ice lol

Wtf u talking about Curly, I have an Alien pre order too!

That resume sounds really bad. Especially the Texas lawyer part

But see how much I've learned over the years from my mistakes! Not much

#3181 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You've taught us that you LOVE pinball and that the hobby is also a great way to gamble!

#3182 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People don't buy pinball to break down the BOM. They buy it for the theme and/or gameplay experience. Iron Man is a great example of that. All the pinball hardcores initially said it was a piece of shit because it was so barebones. Flash forward a few years - everyone wants it, it becomes the first Vault Edition. BOM = irrelevant in the long run as long as the game is fun.

I do, in part. It has to be fun too. Theme is less important to me than how well a theme is implemented in the sound, display effects and rules. Especially at these prices.

A friend was saying how fun he thought RZ was and I told him, I don't care how fun it is, I'm not paying $6k+ for how little is in the game. But that's just me, I probably miss out on owning some fun games.

Manufacturers don't have to cater to everyone, just enough people to remain profitable.

#3183 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You've taught us that you LOVE pinball and that the hobby is also a great way to gamble!

Dang right brother! Love this F ing hobby and the people in it

I agree 100% with Jargus, the Stern LCD is crisper and much more engaging.

AS and BM66 are cool and fun in large part for that reason

Star Wars is gonna be the ultimate LCD clips and animations!!!!

I assign huge potential fun value to that fact. Not a roaming picture of sim city that i hated to being with

#3184 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Buy a Golden Tee to redeem yourself sir

You can gamble up to $50 per round

#3185 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Buy a Golden Tee to redeem yourself sir
You can gamble up to $50 per round

This summer for sure. The gambling part is what scares me!

#3186 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I love a real backglass. Btw ASLE is real and gorgeous!

Stern returned to a real backglass on AS? I had no idea. That's awesome. Will SW LE have a real backglass as well or just the mirrored ink translight?

#3187 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern returned to a real backglass on AS? I had no idea. That's awesome. Will ST LE have a real backglass as well or just the mirrored ink translight?

No, you get 3 translites with the LE.

I do think Stern have got the size of the new screen right. Very crisp, sharp but still room for artwork.

And the newer Stern's are just a ton of fun to play.

I wish they hadn't dropped the ball on code updates though.

It might not be hurting them now but when times get tough, it will come back and bite them.

#3188 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is it launching up from the speed of a shot by the player, or is it throwing the ball with a coil sort of like a catapult?

Anyone not Stern cannot speak with authority. My guess is that you start the attack run with some combination, and the ramp just comes up. So ball velocity would determine a successful shot. But that's my guess - we won't know until Stern speaks or we see it on Deadflip.

#3189 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern returned to a real backglass on AS? I had no idea. That's awesome. Will SW LE have a real backglass as well or just the mirrored ink translight?

Total bummer on SWLE.

ASLE is gorgeous and real. Why do I need 3 regulars?

#3190 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Total bummer on SWLE.

That is right, there are 7 days in a week so...

#3191 6 years ago

I have never order d NIB pinball machine before but have decided to get a SW Premium. Does anyone recomend a Stern distibuter, I live in the northeast, please feel free IM me. Thanks

#3192 6 years ago
Quoted from SChlafi:

Everyone can has its own opinion, but come on, better displays on sterns, better sound?
If you are only talking about information about what to do on screens, DI is the best stuff I've seen so far, I really like the use of the phone to give precise and readable information.
Sound wise, well, can any flipper on the market compares to the hobbit?
Also, you guys gotta compare what can be compared. Consider that JJP doesnt make pro and you'll be closer from the truth.

Better display? Hands down yes. JJP is getting better but the display does not have to be so big and stern just proved it with AS, and soon SW.

As for sound, have you heard the new spike system? But I'm not saying it's better than JJPs, I was actually referring to sound call outs and effects. I'm just not feeling the dialed in sound package yet, and Dwight + Steve love dramatic theme induced call outs and effects. but with all fairness, I'll reserve final judgement for when I play both in person.

#3193 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Better display? Hands down yes. JJP is getting better but the display does not have to be so big and stern just proved it with AS, and soon SW.
As for sound, have you heard the new spike system? But I'm not saying it's better than JJPs, I was actually referring to sound call outs and effects. I'm just not feeling the dialed in sound package yet, and Dwight + Steve love dramatic theme induced call outs and effects. but with all fairness, I'll reserve final judgement for when I play both in person.

The sound on SPIKE is great. I've never played a JJP in a home environment to compare.

#3194 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Total bummer on SWLE.

If the third translite for SWLE was killer, I wouldn't care so much, but in reality it's the weakest looking of them all. I think Stern maybe realized this and that's why it's not a glass, but instead we're getting all 3 translites. People are still buying in spite of this, but they are disappointed still.

Rob

#3195 6 years ago
Quoted from Jargus:

It's all about what you value. Fun, for me, is getting lost in the game, being disappointed when the last ball drains, and itching to push start again even with the wife yelling we should have left 15 minutes ago. It's not about the toys, but the sights and sounds and gameplay. I get that from a lot of the 90's classics, and I get that with some of the newer Sterns.

This is a great paragraph, and sums up my feelings as well. However, I do value the interactive toys.

#3196 6 years ago

Man if you haven't played the new Stern LCD and SW is the first pin for that then you are gonna be thrilled.

I was going to skip past AS and SW but after BM66, yes its really good, I picked up an ASLE and Wow F ing factor.

I'm afraid if they keep pumping out fun factor I'll lose my mind and have to keep buying these F ing pins.

#3197 6 years ago

Anybody monitoring this thread might watch to fire up the livestream for the NW pinball show. Steve is speaking live right now and sounds like it's going to be all about Star Wars and how it came together.

https://www.twitch.tv/nwpinballarcadeshow

#3198 6 years ago
Quoted from c3trey:

Anybody monitoring this thread might watch to fire up the livestream for the NW pinball show. Steve is speaking live right now and sounds like it's going to be all about Star Wars and how it came together.
https://www.twitch.tv/nwpinballarcadeshow

Just beat me to it. I'm in the audience.

#3199 6 years ago

Just heard Steve mention that Brian Rood is one of the artists that worked on the games artwork. I got to meet Brian at a Star Wars Celebration event in 2010 and purchased the print below from him. He's an incredible artist and it was nice to meet him. I was wondering if he did the games artwork as it resembles the look in this print. Incredible stuff.20170610_201124 (resized).jpg20170610_201124 (resized).jpg

#3200 6 years ago

Good god. Star Trek. Haha.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.