8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 150.
#2901 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Yeah without hesitation she would take the suit. My point is that there were many comments here previously that hardcore Star Wars fans (non pinball fans) would help drive the sale of this game... That is a flat out NO. They have thousands of things Star Wars related that they can spend money on instead and those things provide a lot more "real" Star Wars nostalgia then a pinball machine ever could.
This game is going to have to win on a pinball players/collectors level or it is not going to pay off for Stern.
My hope is that they know this because their marketing a research team seems top notch
But I do really hope that the lack of BOM with regards to cabinet and playfield means the money and time has been spent on the code and gameplay which will mean it has the potential to be a true winner and a pinball game changer.

Doesnt surprise me at all. If I was a Star Wars nut, id take the costume as well. My guess is they'd only buy one if they were already into pinball. On location on the other hand, Star Wars would be a game thay'd spend a few $ on (vs not playing pinball at all).

#2902 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is a problem only Stern has.
No one else can announce and ship a game that fast!
With the LE being as weak as it is it shouldn't be hard to just wait, unless you're a "gotta have it no matter what" buyer.

Isn't that just how it is with LE's now, starting with GBLE? (or maybe further back) The LE is
1) signature/plaque/certificate that nobody cares about
2) unique artwork for cab and translite
3) powder coated trim, maybe with laser etching on side rails

At least SW LE has the custom etching, and includes 3 translites, so it's probably ahead of GBLE and ASLE. Nothing touches STLE for an LE upgrade. That's pretty much a thing of the past, and it wasn't even that long ago. Sigh.

#2903 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

And Star Trek.

And Rollergames

#2904 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

And Rollergames

Forgot about that, "Dont Flip, Flip". Such a cool game.

#2905 6 years ago

Its gonna be all about the game play. I personally feel Stern has the wrong size display. JJP has it right if you are gonna add video clips and such.....think about a jump to hyperspace on a big screen VS the tiny screen of Stern.

it wont be long and we will find out how the game plays. Hopefully it is bad ass!

As far as code goes if anyone is expecting anything different from Stern you need to hit the crack pipe some more. Code is the last thing Stern cares about. As long as it flips and has a basic rule set so all the major features function they will kick it out the door. Then it's on to the next title and it will be YEARS to complete or abandon further code updates. BM66 has so much to be coded it will take years to complete at the snails pace it takes Stern for code updates. It really is a shame because Stern made such a big deal with BM66 and it is very iconic and had a chance to make something special and it really isn't all that.

I hope they get it right with Star Wars!

#2906 6 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Its gonna be all about the game play. I personally feel Stern has the wrong size display. JJP has it right if you are gonna add video clips and such.....think about a jump to hyperspace on a big screen VS the tiny screen of Stern.
it wont be long and we will find out how the game plays. Hopefully it is bad ass!
As far as code goes if anyone is expecting anything different from Stern you need to hit the crack pipe some more. Code is the last thing Stern cares about. As long as it flips and has a basic rule set so all the major features function they will kick it out the door. Then it's on to the next title and it will be YEARS to complete or abandon further code updates. BM66 has so much to be coded it will take years to complete at the snails pace it takes Stern for code updates. It really is a shame because Stern made such a big deal with BM66 and it is very iconic and had a chance to make something special and it really isn't all that.
I hope they get it right with Star Wars!

Dwight has pretty good code out of the gate...I bet it comes out mostly complete. The game has been in development for a looong time. GOT was Ritchie's last.

#2907 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nice to see the pre order model is alive and well in Star Wars Cosplay:

HA! Off topic I guess, but you have no idea. Screw ANOVOS, the company that makes that costume. Their shit is overpriced garbage, make you preorder years in advance too.

#2908 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I saw one of the screen shots of the LCD it reads FORCE lights mystery. Would be really really lame if that's all they do during gameplay.
Edit: Here:

I believe the text on the plastic above the force targets indicates they build the spinner value as well. The graphics on the targets themselves are clashing light sabers, and there is a light saber duel insert a little out in front of the drops. Guessing that mode might directly involve them as well...

#2909 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

HA! Off topic I guess, but you have no idea. Screw ANOVOS, the company that makes that costume. Their shit is overpriced garbage, make you preorder years in advance too.

Yeah can you imagine idiots paying years in advance for a product not even made yet? Glad our collecting/hobby isn't like that... wait... oh really? ... uhm nevermind...

#2910 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Especially if its being filmed at Stern HQ. I've been somewhat annoyed with previous reveal videos where someone squawks non-stop, trying to be funny -and all I want to hear and see is the game itself.
Have to add that I do love the effort made to bring us these videos, just that very often there's just too much going on by the players, drowning out the game itself.
Like, Lyman Sheats and Jack playing a couple 2 player games would be perfect!

Yeah, that's Jodie Dankberg that won't shut up. During the GOT deadflip you could just see that Steve Ritchie wanted to turn around, smack Jodie upside the head, and say STFU!

I'd pay good money to see that.

#2911 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Yeah without hesitation she would take the suit. My point is that there were many comments here previously that hardcore Star Wars fans (non pinball fans) would help drive the sale of this game... That is a flat out NO. They have thousands of things Star Wars related that they can spend money on instead and those things provide a lot more "real" Star Wars nostalgia then a pinball machine ever could.
This game is going to have to win on a pinball players/collectors level or it is not going to pay off for Stern.
My hope is that they know this because their marketing a research team seems top notch
But I do really hope that the lack of BOM with regards to cabinet and playfield means the money and time has been spent on the code and gameplay which will mean it has the potential to be a true winner and a pinball game changer.

Also, please tell her to NOT purchase that suit at that price. That is like buying a pinball machine on eBay from a certain store with a checkered floor. It can be had for much less than half that.

#2912 6 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Soon™
I'll have a date to announce, and try to drum up a Han Solo costume last minute.

I am really hoping Stern's rookie designer will show up for a game.

#2913 6 years ago

I was wondering, and I believe no one already put comment on that here, but the animations on the LCD (according to IGN video) don't look really smooth. It seems to really lack fps.
I haven't played yet on any LCD stern pinball, but is spike 2 able to handle HQ videos?

#2914 6 years ago
Quoted from SChlafi:

I was wondering, and I believe no one already put comment on that here, but the animations on the LCD (according to IGN video) don't look really smooth. It seems to really lack fps.
I haven't played yet on any LCD stern pinball, but is spike 2 able to handle HQ videos?

Yes

#2915 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've said before your average pinsider doesn't understand pinball design or history, and this thread reminds me why I feel that way constantly.
Tell me the other steve ritchie games with playfield magnets that randomly throw the ball around the playfield ala the power or ghostbusters. That kind of randomness isn't part of his design philosophy and that's one of the reasons why I like his games.
People who are complaining about lack of magna slings and bash toys really didn't put much time into considering their expectations. This is a steve ritchie game.

There is a bash toy.

#2916 6 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

It sounds like a broken record but Stern f..up this Star Wars thing all about greed. They already said f.. Pinsiders !

It's a business, of course it's about greed. And their target groups buy their stuff anyway, no matter what they do.

They are not in this business for the love of the game but they are still the only ones who manage not to mess up every single game they design in one way or the other (theme or gameplay or even producing the machine at all).

In the end a fast and sharp shooter, a real players game, is so much more rewarding than a box of clunky toys. I am a toy fan, but the risk of messing up the gameplay over toys is just to high for a license like SW.

And hey, it's Star Wars, why go overboard with design & cost, it will sell anyway on the license alone. Look at the bight side: the modders have a lot of space to at add deco and mods all over the place. I'm scared to even think about what tasteless junk will be mounted in this cool straightforward machine.

Quoted from rvdv:

Who cares about "the flow"

Who doesn't???

#2917 6 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Isn't that just how it is with LE's now, starting with GBLE? (or maybe further back) The LE is
1) signature/plaque/certificate that nobody cares about
2) unique artwork for cab and translite
3) powder coated trim, maybe with laser etching on side rails
At least SW LE has the custom etching, and includes 3 translites, so it's probably ahead of GBLE and ASLE. Nothing touches STLE for an LE upgrade. That's pretty much a thing of the past, and it wasn't even that long ago. Sigh.

Many, including myself, would take a mirrored backglass over 3 translites. Including 3 translites versus a mirrored backglass is another example of cost cutting and is even more frustrating considering the $200 price hike with SW. Ridiculous.

#2918 6 years ago

It is concerning that Gary did not want any video shared. What is the conspiracy? Or is it another beta code situation? Has me wondering what's up?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Many, including myself, would take a mirrored backglass over 3 translites

Can I add Outrageous, Egregious, and Proposterous

Outrageous.jpgOutrageous.jpg

#2919 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It is concerning that Gary did not want any video shared. What is the conspiracy? Or is it another beta code situation? Has me wondering what's up?

I'm guessing it's the same code situation as Batman 66 at Pinball Expo 2016?

#2920 6 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Talking with Dwight, this doesn't seem to be the case at all.

#2921 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Are you out of your mind? 1 week ago, Pinside went BALLISTIC over some photos of playfield artwork that weren't HD.
You think that given the attitude of many Pinsiders, that Gary would think it was ok to release a video taken on a phone?
See, if Pinside weren't so toxic, I'll bet Stern would be a little easier-going with stuff like this.

#2922 6 years ago
Quoted from SChlafi:

Yes I noticed that too. It looked like a first generation iPhone game app.

#2923 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Are you out of your mind? 1 week ago, Pinside went BALLISTIC over some photos of playfield artwork that weren't HD.
You think that given the attitude of many Pinsiders, that Gary would think it was ok to release a video taken on a phone?
See, if Pinside weren't so toxic, I'll bet Stern would be a little easier-going with stuff like this.

NASA HD wouldn't change anything. I don't think, now that we have better pics, that anyone said: "oh, my bad, it looks great in fact, low quality pics fooled me".
Sill, I can't wait to try it, my local distro doesnt know yet when he will get one.

#2924 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Aerosmith video looked choppy or not right when video was released for it. In person its awesome.

#2925 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

There is a bash toy.

Standup targets aren't bash toys.

It's like amateur hour in here.

Quoted from jonesjb:

Video looked great when I saw it. With my own two (20/20) eyes. From several feet away. A few days ago.

Quoted from ahdelarge:

The code is pretty far along as well. There is no grand conspiracy or smoking gun here that Gary is trying to hide from you.

Take it easy gang! When you actually play the game you'll get to bitch about all sorts of REAL things instead of just dreaming up fantasies of stuff to complain about.

#2926 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Video looked great when I saw it. With my own two (20/20) eyes. From several feet away. A few days ago.
Take it easy gang! When you actually play the game you'll get to bitch about all sorts of REAL things instead of just dreaming up fantasies of stuff to complain about.

I believe a lot of people will buy the game before being able to actually play it, so this kind of feedback is much appreciated

#2927 6 years ago
Quoted from SChlafi:

I believe a lot of people will buy the game before being able to actually play it, so this kind of feedback is much appreciated

Those folks should have their bitching card "revoked" LOL

#2928 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can see why one could consider the combination of the small LCD screen and stand targets as a bash toy because of the way they are used in SW to simulate hitting and blowing up tie fighters.

#2929 6 years ago

Topper ?!

(resized).jpg (resized).jpg

#2930 6 years ago

Awesome that he's wearing a Darth Vader shirt in that pic.
Wouldn't be surprised if his wife took the kids and left months ago, and he's been too busy to notice.

#2932 6 years ago

...too small for me.....maybe along with the Death Star in the same scale.lol.

#2933 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern matrix:
Interactive 3-1/4" molded TIE Fighter bash toy rocks and reacts to every ball strike

#2934 6 years ago

Stern matrix:
Interactive 3-1/4" molded TIE Fighter bash toy rocks and reacts to every ball strike

IT'S A STANDUP TARGET

#2935 6 years ago

Stern matrix:

So like the UFO in Attack from Mars? Sounds like a bash toy to me.

#2936 6 years ago

But does it react to every ball strike (in general... because it's just a weight on a spring) or do you have to actually hit that mini target to make the thing shake? Does movement of the actual toy register and give you points... or is it just a spring behind a mini target and local vibrations make it wiggle a bit? Does more movement equal more points?

One is what I'd call a true "bash" toy, and the other one is a conveniently placed spring near a target that would act no differently otherwise.

#2937 6 years ago

it is indirectly a bash toy as it reacts each time you hit the stand up target like AFM but not TWD or X-men

#2938 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

IT'S A STANDUP TARGET

no need to use capital letter, i can see clearly. thanks

#2939 6 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

...too small for me.....maybe along with the Death Star in the same scale.lol.

it is a mod as shooter rod.

#2940 6 years ago

Stand up target / Bash toy. Coke / Pepsi.

#2941 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

But does it react to every ball strike (in general... because it's just a weight on a spring) or do you have to actually hit that mini target to make the thing shake? Does movement of the actual toy register and give you points... or is it just a spring behind a mini target and local vibrations make it wiggle a bit? Does more movement equal more points?
One is what I'd call a true "bash" toy, and the other one is a conveniently placed spring near a target that would act no differently otherwise.

I would say it has a coil that hits the tie fighter to make it shake just like the Star Trek Pro Ship.

#2942 6 years ago

no need to use capital letter, i can see clearly. thanks

I don't think you can see clearly because you've insisted in three straight posts that this game has a bash toy when it doesn't.

Steve ritchie games don't have bash toys. They have standups and drop targets.

I think this game has a solenoid for the tie fighter but it could be mechanical. It's similar to the goblin over the left bank on Spider-Man....so I'd say mechanically it works just like that.

#2943 6 years ago

Stern matrix:

Sterns loves to over embellish everything on their feature matrix charts, Star Wars most of all.

The plastic Death Star toy doesn't just have LED's, oh no but rather SUPER LASER WEAPON LED's! That isn't just a shot that turns right around, it's a Super Speed Loop!

My goodness, Stern lists some items twice just to make it seem like there's more to the game then there really is.

"Pop bumper array using 2 pops and 1 Sling"
"2 slings in traditional Pop Bumper area"

Slings are now a feature? They might as well list that the game has "Super threaded action screws" as well...

#2944 6 years ago

Interesting that in IGN's story on the Stern Star Wars machine, they have a link to the originally released video and the link jumps right to the applicable portion of the video, somewhere at 1:25 minutes in. How do you link to a specific portion of the video? Anyone know? I thought that was cool.

#2945 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sterns loves to over embellish everything on their feature matrix charts, Star Wars most of all.
The plastic Death Star toy doesn't just have LED's, oh no but rather SUPER LASER WEAPON LED's! That isn't just a shot that turns right around, it's a Super Speed Loop!
My goodness, Stern lists some items twice just to make it seem like there's more to the game then there really is.
Slings are now a feature? They might as well list that the game has "Super threaded action screws" as well...

I LOVE the Traditional playfield rod supports. I mean, ya gotta love tradition man!

#2946 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well if they are not used in the traditional sense, I'd say that's a feature. But who cares really? Is it fun. That is all that matters.

#2947 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So now you're criticising a New start up company's volume compared to a company that's been full steam for 30 years.

People need to stop calling JJP a new start up they are a 6 yr old company on game 3 not a new start up

#2948 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

People need to stop calling JJP a new start up they are a 6 yr old company on game 3 not a new start up

You're correct. Jjp is now the real deal. My point was simply stating that people were criticising jjp for taking too much time getting games out. The timeframe in which they are referencing is during the initial start up period. Kind of unfair to criticize any company at start-up. Now as a more seasoned company, it's been about a half year from announcement of di to shipping. Much better. Enough bringing up jjp posts now, just stick to star wars bud.

#2949 6 years ago

While SW might be lacking in toys its definitely not lacking in shot count. These numbers are counting each target first and then main shots. I could be wrong on some but im close enough.

SW Pro= 21 shots total/ 7 main shots
GOT Pro= 16 shots total/ 7 main shots
DI LE= 18 shots total/ 8 main shots (maybe few more but hard to tell in pictures what upper flipper hits please correct me if im wrong)
ST pro = 23 shots total/ 6 main shots
AC/DC pro = 20 shots total/ 5 main shots
AS pro = 20 shots total/8 main shots

#2950 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agreed. I think it's hilarious. It reminds me of really old movie trailers or something.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/59 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.