8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 150.
#2651 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

What are the two prongs under the death star lane loop for?

To hold the ball for character selection and mode starts? Like behind the spinner on GB?

#2652 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

To hold the ball for character selection and mode starts? Like behind the spinner on GB?

yes. there are 4 different spots the game can hold the ball for various features, but none of which are a physical ball lock. Definitely like that on the Pro, and may be like that for all three. All multiballs start with balls being fed from the trough.

#2653 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The lifting ramp and physical ball lock.

The lifting ramp locking function is replaced by the 2 posts that come up and the ramp itself is not needed since you cant put balls into the death star. - Argument still valid. It'll still play the same. It's just missing eye candy.

#2654 6 years ago

I don't think it needs too many bells and whistles anyways. In the end, what matters is the gameplay honestly, and this is a Ritchie table, so you know it's gonna be good. Plenty of lightning-fast flow and stacking lots of things at the same time.

Stern Star Trek was my favorite table of his, and this one will probably end up surpassing it for me, since I'm such a huge SW fan. Finally a good table with this license.

#2655 6 years ago

ball lock from the other side. Then hit the capitive ball?

#2656 6 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

ball lock from the other side. Then hit the capitive ball?

there are 4 different spots the game can hold the ball for various features, but none of which are a physical ball lock. Definitely like that on the Pro, and may be like that for all three. All multiballs start with balls being fed from the trough.

#2657 6 years ago

Still scratching my head on the "MTFBWY" diverter on the Prem/LE. On ST, its a difference maker because a physical kickback exists on the Prem/LE which puts the ball back in play much quicker than the Pro which has the software kick a ball in the shooter lane and then up to the pops.

On SW Prem/LE, the ball will divert into the shooter lane, and on the Pro the outlane switch will... also trigger a ball back into the shooter lane, right? Why even have this feature at all on the Prem/LE? IMO, that seems like overkill on the BoM that could've been used elsewhere.

#2658 6 years ago

It is crazy to me that the pro has no features or toys at all really. It could still be fun, but that is nuts to me.

It seems to me that this game is all abut the hyperspace feature, which could be really cool. The exploding death star could be ok with the right sound and lighting. The jump ramp/ball lock I like as well.

I really wish that standup target bank dropped (like destroying the death star's shield or something) and revealed a target or dropped down to a subway that fed into the kickout/scoop on the right. This game seems like it really could have used a couple more things.

#2659 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

It is crazy to me that the pro has no features or toys at all really. It could still be fun, but that is nuts to me.

Like many have said, Stern may be ready to release add on toys for you to put in, which sucks. I just raided the Hot Wheels isle for a bunch of die cast ships to put in the game including a few figures (Vader, Luke, Fett).

In retrospect, I found it funny they didn't add Iron Man to the VE version, I added my own with an LED in his chest right up top were the spinners. Looked awesome. Always a form of putty with the figures on the plastics.

#2660 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I keep thinking for $1000 more than the LE you can buy two NIB Stern Pro machines. Would I rather have a SW LE or a SW Pro and a GOT Pro or Aerosmith Pro? How cool will the hyperloop and exploding Death Star be? $4000 cool? TBD

Now is not the time for being practical.... I know I'm not because I'm selling off GB and IMVE.... But, it's time for a change anyhow.

Rob

#2661 6 years ago

Holding the ball for video mode. There are no 'ball locks' in SW.

Rob

#2662 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Neither did ST (only really had the bobble
Ship) or GOT (only really had the bobble Dragon).

#2663 6 years ago

SW BB (resized).jpgSW BB (resized).jpg

#2664 6 years ago

There are no toys that interact the ball with the game. Totally strippped down overpriced machine which makes it a big no with my wallet.

#2665 6 years ago

Soon™
I'll have a date to announce, and try to drum up a Han Solo costume last minute.

#2666 6 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Soon™
I'll have a date to announce, and try to drum up a Han Solo costume last minute.

Since you have now trademarked "soon" does that mean Stern isn't allowed to use it anymore?

#2667 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

There are no toys that interact the ball with the game. Totally strippped down overpriced machine which makes it a big no with my wallet.

Levi mentioned that the TIE fighter shook when the target was struck, and it seemed like more than just a spring.

#2668 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Levi mentioned that the TIE fighter shook when the target was struck, and it seemed like more than just a spring.

Essentially the same as GOT's dragon movement or Green Goblin on Spidey'07

#2669 6 years ago

Yeah... It's a mini standup target to "hit" the tie fighter. Very basic. If that's the main toy on the pro then just wow. Has to be as there isn't anything else.

#2670 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Essentially the same as GOT's dragon movement or Green Goblin on Spidey'07

Yep that's it. Hopefully it really does that and it wasn't the drinks Gary was giving him.

#2671 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah... It's a mini standup target to "hit" the tie fighter. Very basic. If that's the main toy on the pro then just wow. Has to be as there isn't anything else.

Isn't the main toy the mini LCD and the three targets under it?

#2672 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Could be similar to the leaper hinge in Scared Stiff without the top portion to stabilize the bracket and leaper rod.

I don't think there's a mini solenoid involved.

#2673 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Neither did ST (only really had the bobble
Ship) or GOT (only really had the bobble Dragon).

ST pro has a large moving ship toy (well rocking ship, lol) that is tied into a drop target, kicker and magnet below it.

GOT Pro has a physical ball lock, kicker shot, and the mini battering ram.

Star Wars has...a mini Tie Fighter on a spring that moves when a small standup target is hit...

#2674 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Star Wars has...a mini Tie Fighter on a spring that moves when a small standup target is hit..

Sad, but what do you expect for only $5,500?

#2675 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Star Wars has...a mini Tie Fighter on a spring that moves when a small standup target is hit..

I think all the bread went to the mini LCD. Hopefully they utilize it well, since it would have otherwise been a major interactive toy, which would have possibly subjugated the masses.

#2676 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Sad, but what do you expect for only $5,500?

Back in the day before pinflation...all four of these (or at least 3 of them).

SW Pins (resized).jpgSW Pins (resized).jpg

#2677 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think all the bread went to the mini LCD. Hopefully they utilize it well, since it would have otherwise been a major interactive toy, which would have possibly subjugated the masses.

Thos LCDs are dirt cheap. Buying in bulk, they're such a minimal cost.

#2678 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I sure hope so. If the mini LCD is intended as the main toy Stern could have at least put a molded bezel around it resembling something from the Star Wars films rather then a plain old black bezel...

#2679 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

'Cause they come pre-loaded with software? jk.

#2680 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Shipping Included?

yes shipping included.

#2681 6 years ago

For real though, Stern is probably getting those LCDs for under $5 each.

#2682 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Very possible. I got a replacement LCD screen for my PSP a while back for dirt cheap. (Yes I still use it as a portable MAME machine)

#2683 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

True, however, how much is a plastic toy with LEDs and flashers tied to a small coil? Probably equal or less maybe? Plus very little coding to add to the toy compared to the LCD.

#2684 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There are not many individual parts that are over $5 on a pinball machine. It's all about the code and the content and how the LCD ties the game together.

#2685 6 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Soon™

Looking forward to this very much Jack!!!

#2686 6 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Soon™

No love for Lando? Nien Nub would also be awesome. Can't wait!

#2687 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Still scratching my head on the "MTFBWY" diverter on the Prem/LE. On ST, its a difference maker because a physical kickback exists on the Prem/LE which puts the ball back in play much quicker than the Pro which has the software kick a ball in the shooter lane and then up to the pops.
On SW Prem/LE, the ball will divert into the shooter lane, and on the Pro the outlane switch will... also trigger a ball back into the shooter lane, right? Why even have this feature at all on the Prem/LE? IMO, that seems like overkill on the BoM that could've been used elsewhere.

That's a great question; doesn't seem like a good use of BOM. Visually not that rewarding or different. From a play standpoint, essentially identical to a software based ball save that kicks another ball into the shooter and fires it off.

#2688 6 years ago

Cannot wait to see the stream Jack! The gameplay seems like it's going to be great. I predict lots and lots of strategy just like GOT.

#2689 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

That's a great question; doesn't seem like a good use of BOM. Visually not that rewarding or different. From a play standpoint, essentially identical to a software based ball save that kicks another ball into the shooter and fires it off.

Perhaps mounting a custom R2D2 plastic on the outlane diverter could make it more visually interesting. R2D2 saves them yet again! R2D2 is always saving their ass from the trash compactor, etc.

#2690 6 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Soon™

If the Solo costume falls through I have a phat jabba dancer outfit you can borrow...

sw_changes02 (resized).jpgsw_changes02 (resized).jpg

#2691 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I know, right? There's zero gameplay difference between the two. Why did they reinvent the wheel for an outlane save for a different model? Take that BoM cost and put an X-wing flying over the pops or something... or just relocate the coil used for this Prem/LE outlane save to the Tie Fighter to kick the stupid spring around.

#2692 6 years ago

I'd like to practically 'beg' one of the expert modders to come up with a playfield magnet mod. Anytime you knock down the FORCE targets would be an ideal time to kick in a playfield magnet nearby for a couple seconds that may put some action on the ball as it rebounds off of those or cause some interaction during multi-ball. Just don't accidentally cook the playfield like TAF could and ideally no drilling a large hole into the playfield -- not sure if the standard magnets typically used on previous games can have enough pull on the ball through the standard playfield wood thickness.

#2693 6 years ago

For all of you that keep saying, "it's less than I expected but at least it's Star Wars and will play well", I give you this:

Wrong-Leia (resized).jpgWrong-Leia (resized).jpg

#2694 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

To me the main toys are 2 flippers, at least one pinball, and a hell of a lot of great smooth shots. It is one thing I love about this hobby, there are many ways to enjoy it.

#2695 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

For all of you that keep saying, "it's less than I expected but at least it's Star Wars and will play well", I give you this:

A twink? Thanks!

#2696 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

To me the main toys are 2 flippers, at least one pinball, and a hell of a lot of great smooth shots. It is one thing I love about this hobby, there are many ways to enjoy it.

Well said!

I keep looking at the images of the Pro and am thinking it's going to be fun as heck.

The lack of toys doesn't bother me, and I'm excited for the playfield LCD.

I was all-in on a Premium and then realized I was talking myself out of the Pro for all the wrong reasons.

#2697 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I agree, HOWEVER. Commercial LCD's vs cheap chinese lcd's are VASTLY different value/quality. If you look at even vpins. Some will sell you commercial grade pf lcd vs your home tv, BIG money and quality difference. Now...until someone can see the actual screen, we won't know if it is a high end commercial one, but since these are used on route I would suspect they are of decent quality and not that cheap chinese junk you buy to replace your iphone, gameboy screens.

#2698 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

...but how much is it costing to create all the animation and content for that LCD? That's got to factor into the BOM.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

ST pro has a large moving ship toy (well rocking ship, lol) that is tied into a drop target, kicker and magnet below it.

The ball doesn't really interact with the ship...it's just a thing that reacts to hitting normal pinball things (target, magnet, coil)

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

GOT Pro has a physical ball lock, kicker shot, and the mini battering ram.

Again...just kinda normal pinball stuff...the ram is essentially a captive ball or a target. It barely moves or does anything. The kicker is a coil.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Star Wars has...a mini Tie Fighter on a spring that moves when a small standup target is hit...

The LCD is the main Pro toy. Hopefully it'll have lots of content since that's what you're gonna be looking at a lot.

Anyway - If you look at the history of Steve Ritchie games, he really doesn't "do" toys. He's about the layout, the wireforms, the flow...he likes cannons (T2, STTNG, ACDC) and upper playfields (BK2K, Elvis, GOT). His toys are mostly decoration or things that move around above the gameplay (Dancing Elvis, 24's sniper, ST's ship, GOT's dragon).

#2699 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

history of Steve Ritchie games, he really doesn't "do" toys. He's about the layout, the wireforms,

Pro doesn't have any.

Quoted from Rarehero:

he likes cannons (T2, STTNG, ACDC)

Pro doesn't have one.

Quoted from Rarehero:

and upper playfields (BK2K, Elvis, GOT).

Pro doesn't have one.

#2700 6 years ago

From pics, i really dont understand why any home user wants to buy a pro model, i mean just look at the playfield, who cares about cabinet artwork? it will probepley stand next to another pin and you will never see sides of the pin. Pf is most important, pro model looks so empty. i am not talking about money here, just the fact that anybody thinks about buying a pro.

Premium is the way to go here, best bang for buck ever!

I orderd LE before knowing anything about this pin, but if i dident, and couldent get an LE i would bee happy with a Premium model.

Offcourse waiting for propper video of gameplay, but as it is now, with only pics, the pro looks like waste of money!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.